TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wilson Duo Balls Cracking

Wedgie

I got a SkyTrak for Christmas and when I’m home I play about 72 holes a day. I switch balls a bunch and haven’t had any issues with any balls but the Duo Softs. I got these as a secret Santa gift and have cracked all but 3 of them. I would throw them away but decided to keep them and they are only lasting about a day which can be maybe 150-200 hits.

The Wilson Duo Pro lasts forever and so do Srixon and Titleist balls. Anyone else seeing this?

IMG_1103.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Can't say that I have, but I've never hit them on a sim either. Duo along with the QST are my normal gamers and have been for a number of years. I've never even gotten a gouge in one, never mind a crack.

I'd hit them up via email or Twitter to inquire and let them know what you've seen. They're usually very responsive and helpful. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Talking to a fitter several years back he had to take a coupe balls out of the rotation in the tour van fitting bay at pga ss because trey were dead. As soon as he heard the contact he said that ball is dead and the results showed it too with some weird spin and ball flight. He said balls have about 120 hits in them before they start to lose effectiveness. You are basically hitting that mark in one day if only using one ball each day

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

He said balls have about 120 hits in them before they start to lose effectiveness.

I have heard about balls cracking in simulators due to the sudden stopping from the high speeds but have never heard this. I guess I need to switch balls more often, been using the same ball for the last 4 rounds. The ball looks so dirty one of my playing partners was giving me grief about how bad it looked, but I haven’t noticed any performance issues. Maybe I will switch next week

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I have heard about balls cracking in simulators due to the sudden stopping from the high speeds but have never heard this. I guess I need to switch balls more often, been using the same ball for the last 4 rounds. The ball looks so dirty one of my playing partners was giving me grief about how bad it looked, but I haven’t noticed any performance issues. Maybe I will switch next week emoji26.png

The fitter had worked for Adams before they went out of business and was saying based on testing they used to do that’s where they saw drop off. I know at my range we see some older balls do funny things in the air. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Talking to a fitter several years back he had to take a coupe balls out of the rotation in the tour van fitting bay at pga ss because trey were dead. As soon as he heard the contact he said that ball is dead and the results showed it too with some weird spin and ball flight. He said balls have about 120 hits in them before they start to lose effectiveness. You are basically hitting that mark in one day if only using one ball each day

For the hell of it I kept hitting a cracked ball and when you say a ball is dead you aren't kidding.  The thing would go nowhere.  A Srixon XV I use has maintained its ball speed after several hundred hits so i keep going.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I would definitely contact Wilson about this and if they give you the brush off let them know you have posted here. MGS has a lot of credibility with all the manufacturers even though they do not kiss their butts and take their money 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2020 at 7:54 PM, Wedgie said:

I got a SkyTrak for Christmas and when I’m home I play about 72 holes a day. I switch balls a bunch and haven’t had any issues with any balls but the Duo Softs. I got these as a secret Santa gift and have cracked all but 3 of them. I would throw them away but decided to keep them and they are only lasting about a day which can be maybe 150-200 hits.

The Wilson Duo Pro lasts forever and so do Srixon and Titleist balls. Anyone else seeing this?

IMG_1103.JPG

Wedgie,

I went through a period where I liked hitting those soft balls...Wilson Duo....Callaway Supersoft.  They felt like the old balata balls to me  

Anyways, they all would crack after I used them for a couple of rounds....or hitting them a couple hundred times into my indoor net.  Stopped using them because of the cracking. 

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

• 4 weeks later...

I had 2 Wilson Duo balls crack. I sent Wilson an e-mail describing the issue and even offered to send them the balls but so far I haven't heard a thing. That was over a month ago. I'll still play their Professional, but so long Duo!!

I don't what their deal is in not responding, but Wilson trying to make a decent comeback into the market place, the last thing you need is poor CS.

:ping-small: G400 MAX  Ping Tour 65

:cobra-small: FW 15* King F-7 :Fuji: PRO-65

:ping-small: G400 Hybrid Alta CB-70

PXG 0211 5-SW Mitsubishi MMT Graphite

:titelist-small: AP1 52* SW TT XP-95

:taylormade-small: MG 58* TT DG Wedge

Scotty Cameron Custom welded LN 

Grips- GP MCC+4

• 11 months later...
On 2/24/2020 at 11:54 AM, Wedgie said:

IMG_1103.JPG

Driver(s) Cobra BioCell 11*, Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.0, Callaway Rogue 10.5

Woods: Callaway Rogues, 3 15*, 4, 5, 7, 9

Hybrid: Rogue 7

Irons: Cobra F9 graphite, 5-PW,G - flex ~240cpm

SW: Cobra MIM black Single Length graphite ~240cpm, 56/12,

LW: Cobra MIM black Single length graphite ~240 cpm, 60/10 

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Funny...I too have a SkyTrak...and my Wilson Duo's crack too...maybe it's the SkyTrak...hahaha...nah, methinks the ball's are just too soft. I do play with them. And using the SkyTrak I can detect if the ball  is "going". The screen display shows a wicked trajectory of sorts. What it has shown me is that I need to change my golfball after 1 or 2 rounds.

Driver(s) Cobra BioCell 11*, Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.0, Callaway Rogue 10.5

Woods: Callaway Rogues, 3 15*, 4, 5, 7, 9

Hybrid: Rogue 7

Irons: Cobra F9 graphite, 5-PW,G - flex ~240cpm

SW: Cobra MIM black Single Length graphite ~240cpm, 56/12,

LW: Cobra MIM black Single length graphite ~240 cpm, 60/10 

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

• 11 months later...

Reference the Wilson duo soft balls cracking, I purchased a box and started to play with them,initially my thoughts were a very good ball especially when putting , found the feel on them excellent but noticed after a short time they started to crack , gave a sleeve to another golfer and he has had the same problem,, I have played a couple of rounds with one ball without problems but also played a round where I have cracked two balls, anyone know if this is a major manufacturer problem as I would like to continue to use theem

The softer balls always crack when I use them in my simulator. I've cracked Duos, Chromesoft, and Q-Star Tours with my low 90's club head speed. I've never cracked one on the course though. I lose them before they take that many hits I suppose.

Driver: :cobra-small: LTDx
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 6-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   
bloodline(2).png.8f7245797de1f39b93a647d0292c1b2b.png Vale
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

I have only cracked 2 modern balls that I can think of.  I cracked a TP-5 when they first came out but to give TM credit I had played 36 holes with it. Now I did crack a Srixon Q Star Tour the other day but I had played 36 Scramble holes with it and 18 in a regular round. Darn near wore Srixon off of it. Of course some of the balls I play I do practice with too around the short game area and end up playing them. Had a Q Star that I had hit with the wedges and bump and runs evidently so much it lost it's sheen. I think I may have cracked the QST when I had a bad lie on 16 and sorta hit a half bladed 56 with it. But in reality I do not generally hit a ball hard enough to crack an egg or far enough to lose.

I have played a couple of Duos before along with the Wilson 50s in persimmon play and have never had any problems.

I have also gotten a lot of good mileage so to speak off of the Srixon Marathons with no problems--- Had one I played like 45 holes and it was beat up but not cracked. LOl last week I had one that I had like 30 holes on and of all things topped a 3 wood on #4 and went into a hazard. Told my bud I was pissed because that ball had at least 15 more holes left. I do not take golf seriously any more and have plenty of balls but still I will play one until it is used up or lost. The cracked QST is in the shag bag for net or some kind of practice. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G