TESTERS WANTED! ×

Club Fitting in Atlanta

Hi All, 

I'm new to the forums. I searched to see if someone had posted about this and didn't find anything, so I'm sorry if this is duplicative. I'm looking to get a new driver to replace my 10+ year old stock Ping G15. I want to see if anyone has any recommendations on where to go get a good fitting. There is both a Golftec and Club Champion not too far from my house. I've heard that CC can force you into crazy expensive shafts and I'm not looking to spend an inordinate amount of money on this club. I'd gotten my irons at Edwin Watts, but I'm not sure they'll give me a comprehensive fitting for a driver. Does anyone have any recommendations for fitters/experiences at golftec or club champion? Thanks for the help!

Hi All,  I'm new to the forums. I searched to see if someone had posted about this and didn't find anything, so I'm sorry if this is duplicative. I'm looking to get a new driver to replace my 10+ year old stock Ping G15. I want to see if anyone has any recommendations on where to go get a good fitting. There is both a Golftec and Club Champion not too far from my house. I've heard that CC can force you into crazy expensive shafts and I'm not looking to spend an inordinate amount of money on this club. I'd gotten my irons at Edwin Watts, but I'm not sure they'll give me a comprehensive fitting for a driver. Does anyone have any recommendations for fitters/experiences at golftec or club champion? Thanks for the help!

You can still go to Club Champion and do the fitting; you’re not forced to buy the clubs... I’ve been fitted a few times by them and just took the fitting information and bought the clubs on my own. I highly recommend them and their fitting process. Have the fitter send you your Trackman data to your email before you leave.

There are numerous conversations about this on My Golf Spy. Look for “club fitting” threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

keep in mind - you're paying for the fitting, not the clubs.... 

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I'd gotten my irons at Edwin Watts, but I'm not sure they'll give me a comprehensive fitting for a driver.

What do you consider a comprehensive fitting? Club champion will fit you to heads and shafts but you need to communicate budget if that is a limiting factor. I did a fitting a couple of years ago and was fit into a $100 shaft. I think golftec fits mostly stick shafts.

My suggestion is to educate yourself on fitting and what the numbers mean. Ask questions to understand what the fitter is trying to accomplish. If you understand what you are looking for you can do a reasonable job of fitting yourself at a pga superstore or Edwin watts. Bring your driver and compare against the various. Head and shafts available.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

You could go out to The Kingdom at Reynolds. While they build TaylorMade on site while you wait, they are now fitting for a number of OEMs.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I have an understanding of some of the numbers I need to try and hit (+/-2K spin rate and around 15 degree launch angle). I have a pretty fast club head speed and play x100 true temper shafts on my irons so I probably need X stiffness on the driver (but I'll let the expert help on that).

I've read that the fitter who does the "Fitting Van Experience" at the Roswell PGA Tour Superstore does a good job and is supposedly a Master Fitter per his linkedin. I didn't know if anyone had any experience working with him (Robert Bertrand). They have GC Quads which seem to be better than trackman from what I've seen. They're also 1/3 the price of of Club Champion so if he's good is CC worth the extra money. There is also an independent fitter, Golf Doctor, that seems to have good reviews and I want to see if anyone has any experience working with them. Since I plan to keep this driver for 5+ years I don't want to cheap out, but I also don't want to spend money for the sake of spending money

@Headhammer do you know what other brands they fit for? I only see TaylorMade listed on their website? Thanks!

On 2/25/2020 at 8:08 PM, gmdeac10 said:

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I have an understanding of some of the numbers I need to try and hit (+/-2K spin rate and around 15 degree launch angle). I have a pretty fast club head speed and play x100 true temper shafts on my irons so I probably need X stiffness on the driver (but I'll let the expert help on that).

I've read that the fitter who does the "Fitting Van Experience" at the Roswell PGA Tour Superstore does a good job and is supposedly a Master Fitter per his linkedin. I didn't know if anyone had any experience working with him (Robert Bertrand). They have GC Quads which seem to be better than trackman from what I've seen. They're also 1/3 the price of of Club Champion so if he's good is CC worth the extra money. There is also an independent fitter, Golf Doctor, that seems to have good reviews and I want to see if anyone has any experience working with them. Since I plan to keep this driver for 5+ years I don't want to cheap out, but I also don't want to spend money for the sake of spending money

@Headhammer do you know what other brands they fit for? I only see TaylorMade listed on their website? Thanks!

PXG, Callaway, Titleist

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

• 3 weeks later...

Club Champion and Cool Clubs are both fine options. If you’re not opposed to a road trip, you won’t find better than Chip Usher in Savannah. He’s one of the top fitters out there anywhere in the US. With CC and Club Champion go in with the mindset you’re not going to buy from them because you’ll have sticker shock. They charge full msrp for clubs then full msrp for shafts on top of that (plus grips) plus labor. 

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Thanks for all the info and feedback! I've decided to go to the new Grand Slam Academy at Bobby Jones in Atlanta. They have 1 guy who does all of their fittings in addition to instruction. Since PGA SS is a sponsor of the new renovations, BBJ has the same setup as the fitting van experience at PGA SS with all the stock shafts and 80+ extra shafts. While both PGA SS and Bobby Jones use trackman, the biggest benefit to Bobby Jones is that it's outside vs being inside only. They then order your club and mail it to you. It's the same price as buying through PGA SS since that's who they order through. I'll post a review of my experience on here once I go and get fit, though I'm putting this on hold until the Coronavirus sorts itself out.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, if only Dana Upshaw was still working in Warner Robins. I'm in California, but I was lucky enough to have a two-week work trips in the late 90s. One week in Columbia SC, then one week in Atlanta. I was able to go spend an afternoon with Dana, it was super fun and really informative. Although I never did get the Golfsmith P2 irons he recommended. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 9:28 AM, gmdeac10 said:

Thanks for all the info and feedback! I've decided to go to the new Grand Slam Academy at Bobby Jones in Atlanta. They have 1 guy who does all of their fittings in addition to instruction. Since PGA SS is a sponsor of the new renovations, BBJ has the same setup as the fitting van experience at PGA SS with all the stock shafts and 80+ extra shafts. While both PGA SS and Bobby Jones use trackman, the biggest benefit to Bobby Jones is that it's outside vs being inside only. They then order your club and mail it to you. It's the same price as buying through PGA SS since that's who they order through. I'll post a review of my experience on here once I go and get fit, though I'm putting this on hold until the Coronavirus sorts itself out.

I'm very interested in hearing about your experience. I want to get fit for new wedges and do a proper gapping session to make sure I have what I need. I've been considering the Roswell PGA Superstore as well as Club Champion.

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
Utility: callaway-golf-vector-logo-removebg-preview.png.1467fda9195e29c96aa5066f048e91b9.png Apex UW 17° and 19° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: image.png.66179558e8e55b8b35b741c037395846.png ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: image.png.620c54f7108fefbf49a94ba169f19081.png 2.0 49°, 53°, 57° Project X LZ 6.0
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg LINK.1 34"
Ball: MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2020 at 10:40 PM, Josh Ross said:

I'm very interested in hearing about your experience. I want to get fit for new wedges and do a proper gapping session to make sure I have what I need. I've been considering the Roswell PGA Superstore as well as Club Champion.

I will post an update when I eventually get fitted. Unfortunately with the way the world is right now it's looking like it might not be until this fall or 2021. My wife's company has been severely impacted by COVID and is currently on reduced pay with the potential for layoffs in the fall.

My instructor went down to visit the facilities and talked with fitter and his boss. He said they seemed good and the facility was very nice. It's definitely the route I'm going to go. I also visited the Roswell PGA Superstore before COVID. The facility looks very nice. The fitter told me they'd just switched to trackmans from GC Quads. While the club selection and tech is basically the same, I think being able to hit outside and with a PGA pro is worth the extra money over PGA Superstore.

• 3 years later...
On 5/8/2020 at 3:55 PM, gmdeac10 said:

I will post an update when I eventually get fitted. Unfortunately with the way the world is right now it's looking like it might not be until this fall or 2021. My wife's company has been severely impacted by COVID and is currently on reduced pay with the potential for layoffs in the fall.

My instructor went down to visit the facilities and talked with fitter and his boss. He said they seemed good and the facility was very nice. It's definitely the route I'm going to go. I also visited the Roswell PGA Superstore before COVID. The facility looks very nice. The fitter told me they'd just switched to trackmans from GC Quads. While the club selection and tech is basically the same, I think being able to hit outside and with a PGA pro is worth the extra money over PGA Superstore.

Any update on this you can share?

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus, :Fuji: Ventus TR Black Velocore 6X.
3W: :taylormade-small: Sim Max, :accra: FX 2.0 200 M3.
3I-PW: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Pro, :Fuji: Axiom Velocore 105 X.
Wedges: 47*, 51*, 55*, 59*: Edison Forged Wedges, Mitsubishi MMT 125g TX.
Putter: :L.A.B.:  DF 2.1
Current Ball:  2022 Chromesoft X as recommended for me by :ping-small: Ballnamic system (highly recommended).
Previous Balls:  Z-Star Divide, Pro V1, Maxfli Tour, TM TP5 Pix, Pro V1x, Vice Pro Soft, Cut Blue ... (See Why!)
Accessories: Shoes: Asics Gel-Kayano Ace (Greatest golf shoes on the planet). Watch: Garmin Approach S60. Glove: Kirkland Signature.  Bag: MNML. 
Cart: Foresight Sports ForeCaddy Smart Cart (Unofficial Review).
Previous MGS Tester for: Kid Caddie