Jump to content

Club Fitting in Atlanta


gmdeac10
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi All, 

I'm new to the forums. I searched to see if someone had posted about this and didn't find anything, so I'm sorry if this is duplicative. I'm looking to get a new driver to replace my 10+ year old stock Ping G15. I want to see if anyone has any recommendations on where to go get a good fitting. There is both a Golftec and Club Champion not too far from my house. I've heard that CC can force you into crazy expensive shafts and I'm not looking to spend an inordinate amount of money on this club. I'd gotten my irons at Edwin Watts, but I'm not sure they'll give me a comprehensive fitting for a driver. Does anyone have any recommendations for fitters/experiences at golftec or club champion? Thanks for the help!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi All,  I'm new to the forums. I searched to see if someone had posted about this and didn't find anything, so I'm sorry if this is duplicative. I'm looking to get a new driver to replace my 10+ year old stock Ping G15. I want to see if anyone has any recommendations on where to go get a good fitting. There is both a Golftec and Club Champion not too far from my house. I've heard that CC can force you into crazy expensive shafts and I'm not looking to spend an inordinate amount of money on this club. I'd gotten my irons at Edwin Watts, but I'm not sure they'll give me a comprehensive fitting for a driver. Does anyone have any recommendations for fitters/experiences at golftec or club champion? Thanks for the help!

 

You can still go to Club Champion and do the fitting; you’re not forced to buy the clubs... I’ve been fitted a few times by them and just took the fitting information and bought the clubs on my own. I highly recommend them and their fitting process. Have the fitter send you your Trackman data to your email before you leave.

 

There are numerous conversations about this on My Golf Spy. Look for “club fitting” threads.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

 

  • Like 2

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila RIP Alpha 105 S, tipped 1”

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All clubs have :Arccos:  In the Winn Dri-Tac 2.0 Oversize grips

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They won't fit you into crazy expensive shafts if you tell them you have a strict budget. And there's no requirement to buy from them no matter what you get fit into. 

 

  • Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:EVNROLL: ER1v
:titelist-small: ProV1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

keep in mind - you're paying for the fitting, not the clubs.... 

(D) G410 LST | (3) SpeedZone Big Tour | (5) TM Sim Max | (H) Titleist 818 H2 | (I) Z785 | (W) ZipCore | (P) Cleveland Premier HB 11

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd gotten my irons at Edwin Watts, but I'm not sure they'll give me a comprehensive fitting for a driver.


What do you consider a comprehensive fitting? Club champion will fit you to heads and shafts but you need to communicate budget if that is a limiting factor. I did a fitting a couple of years ago and was fit into a $100 shaft. I think golftec fits mostly stick shafts.

My suggestion is to educate yourself on fitting and what the numbers mean. Ask questions to understand what the fitter is trying to accomplish. If you understand what you are looking for you can do a reasonable job of fitting yourself at a pga superstore or Edwin watts. Bring your driver and compare against the various. Head and shafts available.
  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You could go out to The Kingdom at Reynolds. While they build TaylorMade on site while you wait, they are now fitting for a number of OEMs.

  • Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges: :cobra-small: MIM 54* Versatile/60* Widelow

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I have an understanding of some of the numbers I need to try and hit (+/-2K spin rate and around 15 degree launch angle). I have a pretty fast club head speed and play x100 true temper shafts on my irons so I probably need X stiffness on the driver (but I'll let the expert help on that).

I've read that the fitter who does the "Fitting Van Experience" at the Roswell PGA Tour Superstore does a good job and is supposedly a Master Fitter per his linkedin. I didn't know if anyone had any experience working with him (Robert Bertrand). They have GC Quads which seem to be better than trackman from what I've seen. They're also 1/3 the price of of Club Champion so if he's good is CC worth the extra money. There is also an independent fitter, Golf Doctor, that seems to have good reviews and I want to see if anyone has any experience working with them. Since I plan to keep this driver for 5+ years I don't want to cheap out, but I also don't want to spend money for the sake of spending money

@Headhammer do you know what other brands they fit for? I only see TaylorMade listed on their website? Thanks!

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/25/2020 at 8:08 PM, gmdeac10 said:

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I have an understanding of some of the numbers I need to try and hit (+/-2K spin rate and around 15 degree launch angle). I have a pretty fast club head speed and play x100 true temper shafts on my irons so I probably need X stiffness on the driver (but I'll let the expert help on that).

I've read that the fitter who does the "Fitting Van Experience" at the Roswell PGA Tour Superstore does a good job and is supposedly a Master Fitter per his linkedin. I didn't know if anyone had any experience working with him (Robert Bertrand). They have GC Quads which seem to be better than trackman from what I've seen. They're also 1/3 the price of of Club Champion so if he's good is CC worth the extra money. There is also an independent fitter, Golf Doctor, that seems to have good reviews and I want to see if anyone has any experience working with them. Since I plan to keep this driver for 5+ years I don't want to cheap out, but I also don't want to spend money for the sake of spending money

@Headhammer do you know what other brands they fit for? I only see TaylorMade listed on their website? Thanks!

 

 

PXG, Callaway, Titleist

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges: :cobra-small: MIM 54* Versatile/60* Widelow

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Club Champion and Cool Clubs are both fine options. If you’re not opposed to a road trip, you won’t find better than Chip Usher in Savannah. He’s one of the top fitters out there anywhere in the US. With CC and Club Champion go in with the mindset you’re not going to buy from them because you’ll have sticker shock. They charge full msrp for clubs then full msrp for shafts on top of that (plus grips) plus labor. 

  • Like 1

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the info and feedback! I've decided to go to the new Grand Slam Academy at Bobby Jones in Atlanta. They have 1 guy who does all of their fittings in addition to instruction. Since PGA SS is a sponsor of the new renovations, BBJ has the same setup as the fitting van experience at PGA SS with all the stock shafts and 80+ extra shafts. While both PGA SS and Bobby Jones use trackman, the biggest benefit to Bobby Jones is that it's outside vs being inside only. They then order your club and mail it to you. It's the same price as buying through PGA SS since that's who they order through. I'll post a review of my experience on here once I go and get fit, though I'm putting this on hold until the Coronavirus sorts itself out.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Ah, if only Dana Upshaw was still working in Warner Robins. I'm in California, but I was lucky enough to have a two-week work trips in the late 90s. One week in Columbia SC, then one week in Atlanta. I was able to go spend an afternoon with Dana, it was super fun and really informative. Although I never did get the Golfsmith P2 irons he recommended. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 9:28 AM, gmdeac10 said:

Thanks for all the info and feedback! I've decided to go to the new Grand Slam Academy at Bobby Jones in Atlanta. They have 1 guy who does all of their fittings in addition to instruction. Since PGA SS is a sponsor of the new renovations, BBJ has the same setup as the fitting van experience at PGA SS with all the stock shafts and 80+ extra shafts. While both PGA SS and Bobby Jones use trackman, the biggest benefit to Bobby Jones is that it's outside vs being inside only. They then order your club and mail it to you. It's the same price as buying through PGA SS since that's who they order through. I'll post a review of my experience on here once I go and get fit, though I'm putting this on hold until the Coronavirus sorts itself out.

I'm very interested in hearing about your experience. I want to get fit for new wedges and do a proper gapping session to make sure I have what I need. I've been considering the Roswell PGA Superstore as well as Club Champion.

  • Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
3 Wood: :cobra-small: SpeedZone 14.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 6.0
3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2017 CLK 19° Fujikura Speeder Evolution HB Stiff
4 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 22° Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Stiff
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Forged 5-9, JPX 921 Tour PW Project X LZ 6.0 Blackout Edition
Wedges: Edison Forged 49°, 53°, 57°
Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 34"
Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

GPS: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch (Thanks MGS!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2020 at 10:40 PM, Josh Ross said:

I'm very interested in hearing about your experience. I want to get fit for new wedges and do a proper gapping session to make sure I have what I need. I've been considering the Roswell PGA Superstore as well as Club Champion.

I will post an update when I eventually get fitted. Unfortunately with the way the world is right now it's looking like it might not be until this fall or 2021. My wife's company has been severely impacted by COVID and is currently on reduced pay with the potential for layoffs in the fall.

My instructor went down to visit the facilities and talked with fitter and his boss. He said they seemed good and the facility was very nice. It's definitely the route I'm going to go. I also visited the Roswell PGA Superstore before COVID. The facility looks very nice. The fitter told me they'd just switched to trackmans from GC Quads. While the club selection and tech is basically the same, I think being able to hit outside and with a PGA pro is worth the extra money over PGA Superstore.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...