Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver Length

Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob

Anyone out there shorten the driver length to gain more control and tighter dispersion? (or maybe even gained a few yards?) Just seems like when I set up my grip about an inch down the shaft I can give it a free swing rip and results are more consistent. My driver length is std at 45.5. Longest driver I ever owned.

Driver - Titleist TSi3 9.0  (Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0)

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15 (Ventus Blue 7S)

5 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19 (Ventus Blue 7S)

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-PW + 49 (KBS $-Taper)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 54D (KBS 610) & 58M (KBS 610)

Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 11.5

Ball - Titleist Pro V1 & Taylormade Tour Response (Blue/Pink Stripe)

Anyone out there shorten the driver length to gain more control and tighter dispersion? (or maybe even gained a few yards?) Just seems like when I set up my grip about an inch down the shaft I can give it a free swing rip and results are more consistent. My driver length is std at 45.5. Longest driver I ever owned.

Do a search; other threads on this topic

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/36560-driver-length/?tab=comments#comment-597741

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/25772-whos-using-a-shorter-driver-shaft-length/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-553418

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Average driver length on the PGA tour is under 45 inches.  So yes, shortening driver length can definitely provide some benefits.  Just remeber that as you shorten the driver, the swingweight will become lighter, so you may need to compensate by adding headweight depending on how the shorter club feels to you

I always end up regretting shortening my driver. I don't know what it is, I hit the driver fine when choking up, and then I cut it down and it's not the same.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I'm not the tallest person at around 5' 6", but I've never gamed a driver over 44". I tried 45" in a Geek driver several years ago, but couldn't hit it worth a lick. So I cut it back to 44" and went back to hitting it pretty well. I've debated on trying it again this spring with a newer driver and adding some weight to the sole since you can easily adjust head weights with weight kits available for some drivers. But for now, I play a 44" driver, and have for years.

42 minutes ago, therod said:

I'm not the tallest person at around 5' 6", but I've never gamed a driver over 44". I tried 45" in a Geek driver several years ago, but couldn't hit it worth a lick. So I cut it back to 44" and went back to hitting it pretty well. I've debated on trying it again this spring with a newer driver and adding some weight to the sole since you can easily adjust head weights with weight kits available for some drivers. But for now, I play a 44" driver, and have for years.

I’m 5’5” and tried to play a driver cut down to 44” and it didn’t work as well as choking down on a longer driver. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Yes, I just bought a Taylormade M6 with a 45.75" Atmos shaft.After several rounds and some work on the range. I replaced the Atmos with an old 45" Aldila NVS. Since doing so my driving has been more consistent and I've gained a few yards due to better contact. 

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

This topic is one that is discussed quite often and the best advice remains the same, it's trial and error to find what works for you.  Some players will benefit from a shorter driver while others won't.  Some players will lose distance, while others find more.  I believe that each swing has a sweet spot length and that's why it's important to try things out.  I've got two drivers that I'll rotate round to round.  One is a 44.5" M3 with a Tour Green 85 TX and the other is a 45.25" M5 with a Synergy Black.  The M5 combo is a bit longer, but the M3 combo is a bit straighter.  The difference between the two is so little though, it's really a wash...for me.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

I forgot to add that I didn't change the head weight on my M6 when I put in the new shorter shaft. I know making it 3/4" shorter changed the swing weight from D3, but it didn't feel different to me. I know one can buy heavier head weights. Maybe I should do so. I've been told I would need to add 10 more grams to the 3.5 weight that comes in the head. That seems like a lot to me. Is that correct?

51 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

I forgot to add that I didn't change the head weight on my M6 when I put in the new shorter shaft. I know making it 3/4" shorter changed the swing weight from D3, but it didn't feel different to me. I know one can buy heavier head weights. Maybe I should do so. I've been told I would need to add 10 more grams to the 3.5 weight that comes in the head. That seems like a lot to me. Is that correct?

Typically you lose 3 swing weight points per half inch.  May not be exact, but it's in the ball park.  To add one swing weight back, you need to add 2 gr of weight to the head.  Best thing I always recommend is lead tape.  Play around til you find what you like.  At that point, you can either buy a heavier weight or take it to someone who can hot melt the weight for you, or just leave the lead tape in place.  Some people are more sensitive to these changes than others.

ETA:  YMMV since you didn't cut the original shaft and simply replaced it with another one that was shorter.  Depending on shaft weights, balance point, etc...this could all make your swing weight different.  If the new shaft is heavier, it can make the SW reduction not as severe.

• Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

20 hours ago, Smellis745 said:

ETA:  YMMV since you didn't cut the original shaft and simply replaced it with another one that was shorter.  Depending on shaft weights, balance point, etc...this could all make your swing weight different.  If the new shaft is heavier, it can make the SW reduction not as severe.

This is a good point. My guess is the NVS is heavier. Also, it has a 350 tip. Most shafts now are 335. Anyway unless I have problems in the future I'm not going to worry about it. What's the old saying "if it ain't broke; don't fix it".

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 5:04 PM, dlow206 said:

I always end up regretting shortening my driver. I don't know what it is, I hit the driver fine when choking up, and then I cut it down and it's not the same.

We've pretty much beaten this topic to death but this is a question that doesn't often come up.  I knew this anyway but had it confirmed while listening to the fitting room the other day.  Drivers are built for the stock shaft that they come with - that length as well - granted they are a one size fits all proposition but that shaft/head combo will fit a number of people quite well.  You mess with a club's integrity when you do something like cutting down the shaft after purchase.  Most OEM's will make adjustments so that swing weight and lie angle are proper if you are fit for a shorter shaft prior to purchase so you should just get fit up front if this is something that you want to consider.

A shorter shaft will work great for some, perhaps even many, it will stink for others, it could even depend upon the type of driver so that a player might do well with a shorter shaft in one driver but a longer shaft in another.  Move away from what arrives from the factory without the help of a professional and you've introduced a variable.  I wouldn't do it - I've already ruined a really good driver trying a number of years back. 

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 2/24/2020 at 5:04 PM, dlow206 said:

Mine, which is still quite new,  came standard at 43.75" with a 275cc head. 

When I ordered it with a slightly heavier shaft that matches my fairways,  I requested 43.5"

I hate the huge drivers, but that's just me. They seem to work fine for most players.

On 2/26/2020 at 11:02 AM, Hoganman1 said:
On 2/25/2020 at 2:24 PM, Smellis745 said:

Well, I just learned that my NVS shaft weighs 56 grams and the Atmos that came with the club weighs 53 grams. So my guess is the swing weight only dropped a couple of points if any. Just in case I run into problems later, I bought an 8 gram M6 head weight I can use to compensate. Like I said before the club is performing well. I sometimes get way too anal about this kind of stuff. I just need to practice and play rather than tinker.

Edited by Hoganman1

I've played about seven different drivers over the past decade (most of which were older Titleist models). All came in at various lengths and I've never had an issue with it. Most recently I went from a Nike Vapor Pro driver with a stock length of 45.5" to a Ping G25 with a stock length of 45.75", and now to a Mizuno ST190 with a stock length of 45". The Nike was the first driver I ever used that could consistently find fairway, but I gave up some distance (ball speeds off the face weren't ideal). I picked up about 10 yards with the Ping while maintaining my ability to find fairway, and preliminary results with the Mizuno suggest another 10 yard gain (minimum) while remaining fairly accurate. The biggest reason I see for the changes in distance all boil down to head design and have very little to do with shaft length. I still find the center of the face at a similar rate and also maintain the same miss - low heel. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2020 at 10:58 AM, jlukes said:

Average driver length on the PGA tour is under 45 inches.  So yes, shortening driver length can definitely provide some benefits.  Just remeber that as you shorten the driver, the swingweight will become lighter, so you may need to compensate by adding headweight depending on how the shorter club feels to you

This!

About 3 years ago I went to a 43.5 driver and added lead tape to get my SW back. I'm actually hitting it longer on average because of better contact.

The only downside is trying out a new driver... they're all standard length shafts at the big stores so I never feel quite comfortable.

On 2/24/2020 at 3:04 PM, dlow206 said:

The overall swingweight of a club is affected.  Cutting even 1/2" off will lower the swingweight a couple of points and affect the overall feel of the wood.  It is best to just choke down 1/2 inch and leave the length alone if you have a decent driver.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Been reading /watching videos on this subject, ended up tossing 3w shaft in (Cobra F7s) driver with 3w loft sleeve.......not looking good for testing as we still have over a foot of snow on the ground here. No idea if sims are still open.......spring cant come soon enough!!

Well I finally was able to get my driver weighed. I bought an 8 gram weight from GolfWorks and replaced the stock weight in my M6. The swing weight is D3.8 with the 45" NVS shaft. I've only been able to play twice since I made the change, but I think it's going to work just fine. Once the weather gets warmer and drier, I fully expect to gain maybe ten yards off the tee.

On 2/24/2020 at 8:43 AM, Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob said:

I just barely cut off 2 inches from my 2014 big Bertha driver. I added some cut up lead tape to the hollow interior of the perimeter weight (added the desired weight while maintaining looks and I can now adjust the full weight amount without hastle) and it was the best decision I have made recently. I used to work a wicked slice and it's now a baby fade. Just as long and more fairways.

I put a new lamkin calibrate grip on it, similar to the golf pride align grips and just out the alignment ridge a touch closed so when I grip the club I don't have to hold a crazy strong grip to get the desired closing of the face. 

I definitely agree that it is a trial and error thing, my driver was so bad before I had nothing to lose and everything to gain, but it worked out for me. I would say if possible swing a friend's or hit the local shop and see if you can get your hands on a shorter driver shaft with your head to see if you like it, because I think it is a little different to have a shorter shaft vs choking down on a longer one.

I don’t know why, but the shorter shaft does not work for me.  I keep losing it to the right.  I do not square up the shorter shaft for some reason.

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

Billy-Bob, 

Yes! I recently got fitted and as soon as he pulled the driver out of my bag, he said it was to long for me. I had a TM M2 that was 45.75” and I could only hit it at best 250. After trying about a dozen different drivers, what ended up working for me was a 45” TM Sim Max D-type with a VA Vylyn Shaft. He shortened my driver 3 quarters of and inch and I gained about 25 yards. Now carrying 250ish and 275 total. Also, after that, I looked up the PGA tour average for driver length and it is 44.75”. Reason being that it’s easier to find the center of the club face resulting in more yards and better control.....

Elizabeth City, North Carolina

Right Handed

Handicap: 18

Driver: Taylor Made Sim MAX D-type 9.5 / VA composites Vylyn Shaft 65G Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals / KBS C-Taper Shafts Regular

After several rounds I've found my drives tend to go left with the heavier head weight. I'm going back to the 3.5g weight that came in the club. My guess is dropping the head weight by 4.5g will make the swing weight around D1.  

Now, I promise to stop boring you guys with this because I know you're sick of hearing about it.

I was just going to report back that my 44.5" driver test didn't work out as good for me.  Some days it was ok, others it wasn't.  I find I hit the center of the face and square things up at 45.25" better though.

• Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

On 2/24/2020 at 10:43 AM, Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob said:

I am doing the same thing and getting better results. Makes me think to cut off 1/2”, but I hesitate due to it possibly having less trade in or sale value. Also, maybe choking up is the way to go and just leave it alone. I know I’ve hit 45” better and did not like 44.5”.

Edited by braveheart

On 3/31/2020 at 2:52 PM, Hoganman1 said:

After several rounds I've found my drives tend to go left with the heavier head weight. I'm going back to the 3.5g weight that came in the club. My guess is dropping the head weight by 4.5g will make the swing weight around D1.  

Now, I promise to stop boring you guys with this because I know you're sick of hearing about it.

Tales of apparently pointless equipment tweak tail-chasing never bore me... they're like fables I see myself in, yet never learn from...

Callaway Epic Speed + Mitsubishi MMT

TaylorMade SIM Titanium + Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

Titleist U510 20* + Paderson Kinetixx Ballistic

Mizuno 919 Forged + Paderson Kinetixx TS-I

Cleveland CBX2 54*, Vokey SM8 58*

TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

Pro V1

On 2/26/2020 at 1:47 PM, RetiredBoomer said:

Mine, which is still quite new,  came standard at 43.75" with a 275cc head. 

When I ordered it with a slightly heavier shaft that matches my fairways,  I requested 43.5"

I hate the huge drivers, but that's just me. They seem to work fine for most players.

Including 99.9% of all professionals. Very few play less than 460cc.

13 hours ago, braveheart said:

I am doing the same thing and getting better results. Makes me think to cut off 1/2”, but I hesitate due to it possibly having less trade in or sale value. Also, maybe choking up is the way to go and just leave it alone. I know I’ve hit 45” better and did not like 44.5”.

I’ve never had anyone measure my club before trade in. The longer one holds onto a club the value decreases anyways. 

Current trade in value on a mavrik and sim are just under $180. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

13 hours ago, braveheart said:

I much prefer to not grip down; the club never feels right when I do (unless it's a little punch shot). Consequently, I'm not averse to trimming the butt.

Also, shaft extensions, are a viable correction if you want to go back. They tend to be heavier than the original shaft material, but that can be offset with head weighting if necessary. They also can afford a small counter balance effect to the shaft, which, admittedly adds another variable into the mix.

For example, I've trimmed my current favorite driver shaft (ahina 60g stiff), then added an extension, then trimmed a bit off of that. The swing feel is great and the results pretty consistent, although I'm not a long hitter. 

If nothing else, tinkering gives you a different rapport with your equipment.

Callaway Epic Speed + Mitsubishi MMT

TaylorMade SIM Titanium + Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

Titleist U510 20* + Paderson Kinetixx Ballistic

Mizuno 919 Forged + Paderson Kinetixx TS-I

Cleveland CBX2 54*, Vokey SM8 58*

TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

Pro V1

I've played all my drivers for the 30 years at 43 1/2". I play with lead tape until I get the feel and performance I'm used to. Keeps me in the fairway and that's all I care about because I ain't gonna win no long drive contests ever!😀

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5