TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driver Length

Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob

Understood, I’ll qualify them more. and very valid about the trimming instructions. 👌🏼

• TM M5 Driver 9*: Aldila RIP Phenom NL (70TX)
  • TM M5 3 wood 15*: Aldila RIP Phenom NL (80TX) 86g*
  • Adams Pro mini Hybrid 18*: KBS Tour Prototype Hybrid 95X 
  • TM 2019 P790 4iron: KBS Tour C-Taper 130X
  • TM 2013 Tour Preferred 5-9iron: KBS Tour C-Taper 130X
  • Titleist Vokey SM 7 46* (bent to 45*) KBS Tour C-Taper 130X ( 1 soft step) 
  • Titleist Vokey SM 7 50* KBS Tour C-Taper 130X (1 soft step) 
  • Titleist Vokey SM 7 56* (bent to 55*) KBS Tour C-Taper 130X (2soft steps) 
  • Titleist Vokey SM 7 60* KBS Tour C-Taper 130X (2 soft steps) 

As mentioned above, shortening can be great for finding the middle of the face, but do not throw off your swing weight in an attempt to find consistency. The TXG boys did a great breakdown.

:titelist-small: TSi3 9*

:titelist-small: TSi2 18* FW

:titelist-small: TSi2 22* Hy
:mizuno-small: Mizuno Pro 225 5-PW (KBS $-taper)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*,58*
Evnroll: ER10 Outback 
:titelist-small: Pro V1X

Tracked By: :Arccos:

17 minutes ago, cmhayden said:

As mentioned above, shortening can be great for finding the middle of the face, but do not throw off your swing weight in an attempt to find consistency. The TXG boys did a great breakdown.

Shortening shafts is about fitting a club;  most people tend to cut down and bring back to original swing weight.  What of the original swing weight wasn't right for the golfer?   

Also lots of things can change swing weight such as :  shaft length (what this thread is about), grip weight, shaft weight,  shaft balance point,  and lie angle changes

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 5/30/2020 at 5:37 AM, cmhayden said:

Thanks for posting this! Interesting how they said 9 SW light was “unplayable”.What I don’t know is what the ideal/correct SW is for most players, and if it truly differs that much . It seems like ~D3 is what most manufacturers shoot for, but to consil’s point, what if that is not correct for a certain player? Do some players benefit from a C 5 SW? I’ve never heard of that, but by no means have I seen enough players (Too small of sample size) to feel good about saying it is very rare. 

any thoughts?

Also, If I may: How do you post videos from outside sources? I actually tried to keep getting a “Forbidden”errorI’m kinda new here. So please forgive the question 🙏🏼

Thanks for posting this! Interesting how they said 9 SW light was “unplayable”.What I don’t know is what the ideal/correct SW is for most players, and if it truly differs that much . It seems like ~D3 is what most manufacturers shoot for, but to consil’s point, what if that is not correct for a certain player? Do some players benefit from a C 5 SW? I’ve never heard of that, but by no means have I seen enough players (Too small of sample size) to feel good about saying it is very rare. 

any thoughts?
Also, If I may: How do you post videos from outside sources? I actually tried to keep getting a “Forbidden”errorI’m kinda new here. So please forgive the question

After our discussion about SW, I really want to take mine in to see what mine actually is. Need to get back to MGS headquarters so I can check. Depending on what it is, I may buy some weights to experiment. While I did reduce shaft length, I also have a lighter shaft and different grip and depending on where the balance point is with the shaft i may not have lost 9 SW points.

And To post a video just copy the URL and paste it in the message.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

After our discussion about SW, I really want to take mine in to see what mine actually is. Need to get back to MGS headquarters so I can check. Depending on what it is, I may buy some weights to experiment. While I did reduce shaft length, I also have a lighter shaft and different grip and depending on where the balance point is with the shaft i may not have lost 9 SW points.

And To post a video just copy the URL and paste it in the message.

Thank you! Yea SW does seem like a very fickle thing let alone overall weight! That guy in the video is obviously way outside of the range of normal as he was flying it 300 and barely missing the center of the face. It was interesting however how the shorter driver needed to be significantly heavier (in overall weight) to retain a similar swing weight. And that was only cutting off 1.5 inches. 

Gotta admit it’s really making me wonder if I’d benefit from a shorter driver! I’ve always liked heavier overall weight for control. 

I had a lovely experiment of what happens with my game when one doesn't add back the weight to a shorter driver.  Unfortunately, I didn't realize at first that I was involved in this experiment.  🤨

Played a couple days ago, taking the day off from work.  Was planning on playing my King LTD, in which I'd plugged a Rogue Black 70 3w shaft (coincidentally from a King LTD 3w).  I'd added tape to bring it back up.  First couple holes, hooked it like crazy.  Club felt a bit light, but I'd just added the tape, so chalked it up to dropping down from steel shafted persimmons and not instantly adjusting.  After a couple more holes, and hooking only this club, I quit hitting it for the day, used another stick the rest of the way (was carrying a couple drivers, this was a test round).  This other driver was just fine.

Got home, put it on the scale, sure enough, my "it feels light" was not just me; it was at D1 instead of the D6 I'd taped it at.  Checked the club, and some of the tape I'd applied had fallen off.  It seems I was a bit hasty in putting it on the clubhead, it may have been a bit loose, or I had a bad bit of adhesive in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Lovely.  

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

On 6/4/2020 at 6:38 AM, NRJyzr said:

I had a lovely experiment of what happens with my game when one doesn't add back the weight to a shorter driver.  Unfortunately, I didn't realize at first that I was involved in this experiment.  🤨

Played a couple days ago, taking the day off from work.  Was planning on playing my King LTD, in which I'd plugged a Rogue Black 70 3w shaft (coincidentally from a King LTD 3w).  I'd added tape to bring it back up.  First couple holes, hooked it like crazy.  Club felt a bit light, but I'd just added the tape, so chalked it up to dropping down from steel shafted persimmons and not instantly adjusting.  After a couple more holes, and hooking only this club, I quit hitting it for the day, used another stick the rest of the way (was carrying a couple drivers, this was a test round).  This other driver was just fine.

Got home, put it on the scale, sure enough, my "it feels light" was not just me; it was at D1 instead of the D6 I'd taped it at.  Checked the club, and some of the tape I'd applied had fallen off.  It seems I was a bit hasty in putting it on the clubhead, it may have been a bit loose, or I had a bad bit of adhesive in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Lovely.  

Y’all are way more innovative than me! I guess I need to tinker more. Haven’t had the balls to DIY much of my equipment, but I also don’t have a garage with the appropriate equipment. I do have a pretty good relationship with my club builder though! He’s always shocked when I can feel the difference of a few CPMs, Or one less wrap on the grip when he messes up. But I’m kinda a freak. Anyone else able to feel these little things?

Y’all are way more innovative than me! I guess I need to tinker more. Haven’t had the balls to DIY much of my equipment, but I also don’t have a garage with the appropriate equipment. I do have a pretty good relationship with my club builder though! He’s always shocked when I can feel the difference of a few CPMs, Or one less wrap on the grip when he messes up. But I’m kinda a freak. Anyone else able to feel these little things?

I really don’t feel a lot when it comes to clubs. I can feel boardy vs smooth in a shaft but that is about all. The big thing I notice is putter grip alignment. Give me a putter with a misaligned grip and it feel really odd.

15 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I really don’t feel a lot when it comes to clubs. I can feel boardy vs smooth in a shaft but that is about all. The big thing I notice is putter grip alignment. Give me a putter with a misaligned grip and it feel really odd.

... I have always felt "feel" was a blessing and a curse. It certainly helps with putting and the short game but can be a problem with equipment. I remember before I did my own work I had a driver regripped and they did not take off the layer of tape, just put another on top. I called them on it and the guy working at Golfsmith is he always does it and I was the first to complain. I doubted that but one wrap more or less and my feel is off. Same with swing weight. If it is off 2 points I am bothered by the difference. Does it make any difference in performance? I would think none at all so ignorance is bliss. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

On 6/8/2020 at 12:23 PM, cnosil said:

💯 with you on this one! Have you ever had ribbed or reminder grips installed? Those too can put me in a real tizzy if not perfect. Seems like a new trend in this category is “align” grips. Still can’t deal with them because being a little off makes me quiver! 

On 6/8/2020 at 12:43 PM, chisag said:

... I have always felt "feel" was a blessing and a curse. It certainly helps with putting and the short game but can be a problem with equipment. I remember before I did my own work I had a driver regripped and they did not take off the layer of tape, just put another on top. I called them on it and the guy working at Golfsmith is he always does it and I was the first to complain. I doubted that but one wrap more or less and my feel is off. Same with swing weight. If it is off 2 points I am bothered by the difference. Does it make any difference in performance? I would think none at all so ignorance is bliss. 

Agree agree agree. I wish I could turn off my psychopathic equipment feel sometimes. 

Guess I’m lucky to be in the catagory of ignorance is bliss. I can feel the difference between a reg and a mid size grip, but can’t feel one wrap of tape.

swing weight I’m clueless, altho when I went from 65g f3’s to steel 115’s, I shanked about 30 in a row and had to actually back up about an inch and a half to hit the face. But I didn’t really “feel” the difference.

but I don’t know what the SW was of either...🤔

youde think I should know these things...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I recently did a driver fitting and we found that going from standard length to 44.5 greatly reduced my dispersion by increasing my center strike. I didn't sacrifice anything distance wise as well. I went from around 45 yards between left and right shots to 25 yards. It felt strange holding a shorter driver, but I couldn't argue with the results.

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

I recently did a driver fitting and we found that going from standard length to 44.5 greatly reduced my dispersion by increasing my center strike. I didn't sacrifice anything distance wise as well. I went from around 45 yards between left and right shots to 25 yards. It felt strange holding a shorter driver, but I couldn't argue with the results.

Won’t be long before feeling “strange” will turn into feeling “like holding a sledgehammer” as you pound them down the fairway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

6 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Won’t be long before feeling “strange” will turn into feeling “like holding a sledgehammer” as you pound them down the fairway. emoji106.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the hope. I haven't been a straight driver of the golf ball and its really held back my scores over the last few years. I think being able to find 2-3 more fairways a round with the driver with my length would be huge

Right Handed

2 hours ago, Flip4000 said:

Wow. That is some impressive GAINZ! What a fairway finder u’ve got now! 

3 minutes ago, Golferschmitt said:

Wow. That is some impressive GAINZ! What a fairway finder u’ve got now! 

Yeah I was shocked that essentially an inch could make that big of a difference. It was night and day consistency 

Right Handed

I have 3 shafts 44" 44.75 and 45.5". Usually I use the 44.75 but on a tight course I swap to the 44". The only time I use the 45.5 is in Winter as it gives me a few extra metres and as you do not get as much run I can afford to be a little wild. 

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

I don’t know, call me crazy, but I’m going to a fitter before cutting the shaft on a $500 driver.

Ideally you’d get fit first and the OEM would then make sure to handle the swing weight issue for you at build.

I’ve also seen different head/shaft combos pop at different shaft lengths - for me. Generally speaking though 45” seems to work best. They are b people who do better linger though it’s always a juggling act - what an I square up in the center of the club most frequently

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

12 hours ago, revkev said:

I don’t know, call me crazy, but I’m going to a fitter before cutting the shaft on a $500 driver.

that's why I buy a cheap shaft with a similar profile to experiment with.  While it may not provide ideal numbers,  it helps a bit with figuring out shaft length and contact.

On 5/30/2020 at 1:37 PM, cmhayden said:

When they talk about 45” as Standard & then 43.5”, is that the length of the Shaft itself or the measurement including Clubhead?

I’m looking to buy a shortened Driver.   I’m 6’ 2”, but have never got on with long Drivers.   I would gladly give up 20 yards for tighter dispersion.

Are 3 wood shafts exactly the same as driver shafts, just shorter?

If I took 1.5” off Driver length & added weight to regain the same swing weight, would I need a stiffer shaft?

Thanks.

Titleist fairway wood

Titleist 22° Hybrid

Mizuno MX-25 5-PW

Cleveland 56°

Oddysey putter

Looking for a complete new bag

• 2 weeks later...

Make long story short, wife was hit with the golf bug BIG TIME !!!! She was using my PING G30 with a women's PING shaft, she was doing OK, 170 or so. On a whim I bought her a Women's Cobra F8, Her drive's increased to about 180 with a couple near 200 and straight. One day she had me try it, almost as long as my Callaway XR-16 with a white tie shaft playing at 45.5, I figured why not? so I cut it down about 3/4 inch and added some lead tape , INSTANT fairway finder AND distance gained ( about 3-7 yards ). 

Edited by MadMex

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

On 2/24/2020 at 7:11 PM, therod said:

I'm not the tallest person at around 5' 6", but I've never gamed a driver over 44". I tried 45" in a Geek driver several years ago, but couldn't hit it worth a lick. So I cut it back to 44" and went back to hitting it pretty well. I've debated on trying it again this spring with a newer driver and adding some weight to the sole since you can easily adjust head weights with weight kits available for some drivers. But for now, I play a 44" driver, and have for years.

This pretty much is how I have approached the driver, but I game a 44.5" driver.  It is amazing how just one inch shorter shaft makes the club that much easier to hit.  In my head?  Or is it a reality?  I don't hit it long so keeping it in the short grass as much as possible is the primary key.  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

On 6/23/2020 at 4:59 PM, Hookalot said:

When they talk about 45” as Standard & then 43.5”, is that the length of the Shaft itself or the measurement including Clubhead?

I’m looking to buy a shortened Driver.   I’m 6’ 2”, but have never got on with long Drivers.   I would gladly give up 20 yards for tighter dispersion.

Are 3 wood shafts exactly the same as driver shafts, just shorter?

If I took 1.5” off Driver length & added weight to regain the same swing weight, would I need a stiffer shaft?

Thanks.

The standard referred to is the playing length of the club similar to when you see an iron has a length of 37” 

The length of the shaft itself may vary based on the adapter used. But that measurement refers to the length of shaft from bottom of adapter to the butt end of the shaft

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The standard referred to is the playing length of the club similar to when you see an iron has a length of 37” 

The length of the shaft itself may vary based on the adapter used. But that measurement refers to the length of shaft from bottom of adapter to the butt end of the shaft

I am reading your response as the measurement is to the bottom of the adapter. Isn’t playing length from butt of club to the bottom of the clubhead? So a driver with a 45” Playing length may only have a 43” shaft when measured from butt to end of adapter.

When figuring out playing length you need to know how much length the clubhead adds once you attach it to the shaft with adapter.

Sorry, reread your response and it makes sense now.

14 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I am reading your response as the measurement is to the bottom of the adapter. Isn’t playing length from butt of club to the bottom of the clubhead? So a driver with a 45” Playing length may only have a 43” shaft when measured from butt to end of adapter.

When figuring out playing length you need to know how much length the clubhead adds once you attach it to the shaft with adapter.

Sorry, reread your response and it makes sense now. emoji16.png

All good. I’ve had to do that a lot this week with stuff at work. It’s the summer heat 🤪

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1