Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob

Driver Length

Our Sponsors

Understood, I’ll qualify them more. and very valid about the trimming instructions. 👌🏼

• Like 1

• TM M5 Driver 9*: Aldila RIP Phenom NL (70TX)
  • TM M5 3 wood 15*: Aldila RIP Phenom NL (80TX) 86g*
  • Adams Pro mini Hybrid 18*: KBS Tour Prototype Hybrid 95X 
  • TM 2019 P790 4iron: KBS Tour C-Taper 130X
  • TM 2013 Tour Preferred 5-9iron: KBS Tour C-Taper 130X
  • Titleist Vokey SM 7 46* (bent to 45*) KBS Tour C-Taper 130X ( 1 soft step) 
  • Titleist Vokey SM 7 50* KBS Tour C-Taper 130X (1 soft step) 
  • Titleist Vokey SM 7 56* (bent to 55*) KBS Tour C-Taper 130X (2soft steps) 
  • Titleist Vokey SM 7 60* KBS Tour C-Taper 130X (2 soft steps) 

As mentioned above, shortening can be great for finding the middle of the face, but do not throw off your swing weight in an attempt to find consistency. The TXG boys did a great breakdown.

17 minutes ago, cmhayden said:

As mentioned above, shortening can be great for finding the middle of the face, but do not throw off your swing weight in an attempt to find consistency. The TXG boys did a great breakdown.

Shortening shafts is about fitting a club;  most people tend to cut down and bring back to original swing weight.  What of the original swing weight wasn't right for the golfer?   

Also lots of things can change swing weight such as :  shaft length (what this thread is about), grip weight, shaft weight,  shaft balance point,  and lie angle changes

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 5/30/2020 at 5:37 AM, cmhayden said:

Thanks for posting this! Interesting how they said 9 SW light was “unplayable”.What I don’t know is what the ideal/correct SW is for most players, and if it truly differs that much . It seems like ~D3 is what most manufacturers shoot for, but to consil’s point, what if that is not correct for a certain player? Do some players benefit from a C 5 SW? I’ve never heard of that, but by no means have I seen enough players (Too small of sample size) to feel good about saying it is very rare. 

any thoughts?

Also, If I may: How do you post videos from outside sources? I actually tried to keep getting a “Forbidden”errorI’m kinda new here. So please forgive the question 🙏🏼

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this! Interesting how they said 9 SW light was “unplayable”.What I don’t know is what the ideal/correct SW is for most players, and if it truly differs that much . It seems like ~D3 is what most manufacturers shoot for, but to consil’s point, what if that is not correct for a certain player? Do some players benefit from a C 5 SW? I’ve never heard of that, but by no means have I seen enough players (Too small of sample size) to feel good about saying it is very rare. 

any thoughts?
Also, If I may: How do you post videos from outside sources? I actually tried to keep getting a “Forbidden”errorI’m kinda new here. So please forgive the question

After our discussion about SW, I really want to take mine in to see what mine actually is. Need to get back to MGS headquarters so I can check. Depending on what it is, I may buy some weights to experiment. While I did reduce shaft length, I also have a lighter shaft and different grip and depending on where the balance point is with the shaft i may not have lost 9 SW points.

And To post a video just copy the URL and paste it in the message.
  • Love 1

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

After our discussion about SW, I really want to take mine in to see what mine actually is. Need to get back to MGS headquarters so I can check. Depending on what it is, I may buy some weights to experiment. While I did reduce shaft length, I also have a lighter shaft and different grip and depending on where the balance point is with the shaft i may not have lost 9 SW points.

And To post a video just copy the URL and paste it in the message.

Thank you! Yea SW does seem like a very fickle thing let alone overall weight! That guy in the video is obviously way outside of the range of normal as he was flying it 300 and barely missing the center of the face. It was interesting however how the shorter driver needed to be significantly heavier (in overall weight) to retain a similar swing weight. And that was only cutting off 1.5 inches. 

Gotta admit it’s really making me wonder if I’d benefit from a shorter driver! I’ve always liked heavier overall weight for control. 

• Like 2

I had a lovely experiment of what happens with my game when one doesn't add back the weight to a shorter driver.  Unfortunately, I didn't realize at first that I was involved in this experiment.  🤨

Played a couple days ago, taking the day off from work.  Was planning on playing my King LTD, in which I'd plugged a Rogue Black 70 3w shaft (coincidentally from a King LTD 3w).  I'd added tape to bring it back up.  First couple holes, hooked it like crazy.  Club felt a bit light, but I'd just added the tape, so chalked it up to dropping down from steel shafted persimmons and not instantly adjusting.  After a couple more holes, and hooking only this club, I quit hitting it for the day, used another stick the rest of the way (was carrying a couple drivers, this was a test round).  This other driver was just fine.

Got home, put it on the scale, sure enough, my "it feels light" was not just me; it was at D1 instead of the D6 I'd taped it at.  Checked the club, and some of the tape I'd applied had fallen off.  It seems I was a bit hasty in putting it on the clubhead, it may have been a bit loose, or I had a bad bit of adhesive in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Lovely.  

Cobra King LTD @ 10.5*, ProtoPype 80 X, 43.5"
2h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
3-PW:  Mizuno MP37, DGS300
GW: Mizuno Pro 52*, DGS300
SW:  Ram TG-898 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, Cleveland Designed By, or Mizuno TPM-2, all at 34", or Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Pro or FG Tour, or Kirkland Signature 3 pc

Sometimes play 2-PW Golden Ram TW282 or 2-PW 1980 Golden Rams

Occasionally swap in Orlimar or Ram persimmons at the top end of bag

On 6/4/2020 at 6:38 AM, NRJyzr said:

I had a lovely experiment of what happens with my game when one doesn't add back the weight to a shorter driver.  Unfortunately, I didn't realize at first that I was involved in this experiment.  🤨

Played a couple days ago, taking the day off from work.  Was planning on playing my King LTD, in which I'd plugged a Rogue Black 70 3w shaft (coincidentally from a King LTD 3w).  I'd added tape to bring it back up.  First couple holes, hooked it like crazy.  Club felt a bit light, but I'd just added the tape, so chalked it up to dropping down from steel shafted persimmons and not instantly adjusting.  After a couple more holes, and hooking only this club, I quit hitting it for the day, used another stick the rest of the way (was carrying a couple drivers, this was a test round).  This other driver was just fine.

Got home, put it on the scale, sure enough, my "it feels light" was not just me; it was at D1 instead of the D6 I'd taped it at.  Checked the club, and some of the tape I'd applied had fallen off.  It seems I was a bit hasty in putting it on the clubhead, it may have been a bit loose, or I had a bad bit of adhesive in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Lovely.  

Y’all are way more innovative than me! I guess I need to tinker more. Haven’t had the balls to DIY much of my equipment, but I also don’t have a garage with the appropriate equipment. I do have a pretty good relationship with my club builder though! He’s always shocked when I can feel the difference of a few CPMs, Or one less wrap on the grip when he messes up. But I’m kinda a freak. Anyone else able to feel these little things?

• Like 1

Y’all are way more innovative than me! I guess I need to tinker more. Haven’t had the balls to DIY much of my equipment, but I also don’t have a garage with the appropriate equipment. I do have a pretty good relationship with my club builder though! He’s always shocked when I can feel the difference of a few CPMs, Or one less wrap on the grip when he messes up. But I’m kinda a freak. Anyone else able to feel these little things?

I really don’t feel a lot when it comes to clubs. I can feel boardy vs smooth in a shaft but that is about all. The big thing I notice is putter grip alignment. Give me a putter with a misaligned grip and it feel really odd.

15 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I really don’t feel a lot when it comes to clubs. I can feel boardy vs smooth in a shaft but that is about all. The big thing I notice is putter grip alignment. Give me a putter with a misaligned grip and it feel really odd.

... I have always felt "feel" was a blessing and a curse. It certainly helps with putting and the short game but can be a problem with equipment. I remember before I did my own work I had a driver regripped and they did not take off the layer of tape, just put another on top. I called them on it and the guy working at Golfsmith is he always does it and I was the first to complain. I doubted that but one wrap more or less and my feel is off. Same with swing weight. If it is off 2 points I am bothered by the difference. Does it make any difference in performance? I would think none at all so ignorance is bliss. 

• Like 3

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

On 6/8/2020 at 12:23 PM, cnosil said:

💯 with you on this one! Have you ever had ribbed or reminder grips installed? Those too can put me in a real tizzy if not perfect. Seems like a new trend in this category is “align” grips. Still can’t deal with them because being a little off makes me quiver! 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 12:43 PM, chisag said:

... I have always felt "feel" was a blessing and a curse. It certainly helps with putting and the short game but can be a problem with equipment. I remember before I did my own work I had a driver regripped and they did not take off the layer of tape, just put another on top. I called them on it and the guy working at Golfsmith is he always does it and I was the first to complain. I doubted that but one wrap more or less and my feel is off. Same with swing weight. If it is off 2 points I am bothered by the difference. Does it make any difference in performance? I would think none at all so ignorance is bliss. 

Agree agree agree. I wish I could turn off my psychopathic equipment feel sometimes. 

Guess I’m lucky to be in the catagory of ignorance is bliss. I can feel the difference between a reg and a mid size grip, but can’t feel one wrap of tape.

swing weight I’m clueless, altho when I went from 65g f3’s to steel 115’s, I shanked about 30 in a row and had to actually back up about an inch and a half to hit the face. But I didn’t really “feel” the difference.

but I don’t know what the SW was of either...🤔

youde think I should know these things...

• Like 1

Currently testing for review:

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi

:ping-small: G400 LSTec driver 10° on Aldila X-Torsion Stiff

:callaway-small: 816 Alpha 3-wood 15° On Aldila Rogue Stiff

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:benhogan-small: Ptx Pro 5-P irons on KBS Tour V 110 S

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on recoil 780 StifF

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

I recently did a driver fitting and we found that going from standard length to 44.5 greatly reduced my dispersion by increasing my center strike. I didn't sacrifice anything distance wise as well. I went from around 45 yards between left and right shots to 25 yards. It felt strange holding a shorter driver, but I couldn't argue with the results.

• Like 3

Right Handed

Ping G410 LST 9 degree X flex ping tour shaft 75G

Ping G410 3 wood 14.5  X flex Evenflow black 85G

Taylormade Gapr low 19 degree X flex KBS hybrid 80G

Titleist 714 AP2 4-9 iron +.5 length 1 degree upright S flex kbs tour 120G

Vokey SM6 46  +.5 length 1 degree upright Dynamic gold S 300

Vokey SM5 50, 54,  +.5 length 1 degree upright S flex kbs tour 120G

Vokey SM5 58  +.5 length 1 degree upright S high rev 125G

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

I recently did a driver fitting and we found that going from standard length to 44.5 greatly reduced my dispersion by increasing my center strike. I didn't sacrifice anything distance wise as well. I went from around 45 yards between left and right shots to 25 yards. It felt strange holding a shorter driver, but I couldn't argue with the results.

Won’t be long before feeling “strange” will turn into feeling “like holding a sledgehammer” as you pound them down the fairway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 is live!  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Tensei Pro White 6TX

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

#cuetheduckboats

6 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Won’t be long before feeling “strange” will turn into feeling “like holding a sledgehammer” as you pound them down the fairway. emoji106.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the hope. I haven't been a straight driver of the golf ball and its really held back my scores over the last few years. I think being able to find 2-3 more fairways a round with the driver with my length would be huge

• Like 1

Right Handed

2 hours ago, Flip4000 said:

Wow. That is some impressive GAINZ! What a fairway finder u’ve got now! 

3 minutes ago, Golferschmitt said:

Wow. That is some impressive GAINZ! What a fairway finder u’ve got now! 

Yeah I was shocked that essentially an inch could make that big of a difference. It was night and day consistency 

• Like 1

Right Handed

I have 3 shafts 44" 44.75 and 45.5". Usually I use the 44.75 but on a tight course I swap to the 44". The only time I use the 45.5 is in Winter as it gives me a few extra metres and as you do not get as much run I can afford to be a little wild. 

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 48 and 54 Degree Wedges Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

I don’t know, call me crazy, but I’m going to a fitter before cutting the shaft on a $500 driver.

Ideally you’d get fit first and the OEM would then make sure to handle the swing weight issue for you at build.

I’ve also seen different head/shaft combos pop at different shaft lengths - for me. Generally speaking though 45” seems to work best. They are b people who do better linger though it’s always a juggling act - what an I square up in the center of the club most frequently

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them