Our Sponsors

12 hours ago, revkev said:

I don’t know, call me crazy, but I’m going to a fitter before cutting the shaft on a $500 driver.

that's why I buy a cheap shaft with a similar profile to experiment with.  While it may not provide ideal numbers,  it helps a bit with figuring out shaft length and contact.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Average driver length on the PGA tour is under 45 inches.  So yes, shortening driver length can definitely provide some benefits.  Just remeber that as you shorten the driver, the swingweight will bec

... While it is true that every golfer is different and some do better with a shorter length and some do better with a longer length, it isn't an equal equation. There really is no stock answer but th

I don’t know, call me crazy, but I’m going to a fitter before cutting the shaft on a $500 driver. Ideally you’d get fit first and the OEM would then make sure to handle the swing weight issue for y

On 5/30/2020 at 1:37 PM, cmhayden said:

As mentioned above, shortening can be great for finding the middle of the face, but do not throw off your swing weight in an attempt to find consistency. The TXG boys did a great breakdown.

When they talk about 45” as Standard & then 43.5”, is that the length of the Shaft itself or the measurement including Clubhead?

I’m looking to buy a shortened Driver.   I’m 6’ 2”, but have never got on with long Drivers.   I would gladly give up 20 yards for tighter dispersion.

Are 3 wood shafts exactly the same as driver shafts, just shorter?

If I took 1.5” off Driver length & added weight to regain the same swing weight, would I need a stiffer shaft?

Thanks.

Titleist fairway wood

Titleist 22° Hybrid

Mizuno MX-25 5-PW

Cleveland 56°

Oddysey putter

Looking for a complete new bag

• 2 weeks later...

Make long story short, wife was hit with the golf bug BIG TIME !!!! She was using my PING G30 with a women's PING shaft, she was doing OK, 170 or so. On a whim I bought her a Women's Cobra F8, Her drive's increased to about 180 with a couple near 200 and straight. One day she had me try it, almost as long as my Callaway XR-16 with a white tie shaft playing at 45.5, I figured why not? so I cut it down about 3/4 inch and added some lead tape , INSTANT fairway finder AND distance gained ( about 3-7 yards ). 

Edited by MadMex
  • Like 2

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

On 2/24/2020 at 7:11 PM, therod said:

I'm not the tallest person at around 5' 6", but I've never gamed a driver over 44". I tried 45" in a Geek driver several years ago, but couldn't hit it worth a lick. So I cut it back to 44" and went back to hitting it pretty well. I've debated on trying it again this spring with a newer driver and adding some weight to the sole since you can easily adjust head weights with weight kits available for some drivers. But for now, I play a 44" driver, and have for years.

This pretty much is how I have approached the driver, but I game a 44.5" driver.  It is amazing how just one inch shorter shaft makes the club that much easier to hit.  In my head?  Or is it a reality?  I don't hit it long so keeping it in the short grass as much as possible is the primary key.  

WITB? :taylormade-small:10.5deg SLDR (R flex),  :taylormade-small:3HL/17 SLDR Series (R flex),:taylormade-small: 5/19 SLDR Series (R flex), :taylormade-small: 4h/22 SLDR Series (R flex), :callaway-small: DIablo graphite shaft irons (5 (R flex), 6-PW (A flex)), :cleveland-small: CBX 50, 54,& 58 wedges - graphite, :odyssey-small: White Iron 5 putter.   

On 6/23/2020 at 4:59 PM, Hookalot said:

When they talk about 45” as Standard & then 43.5”, is that the length of the Shaft itself or the measurement including Clubhead?

I’m looking to buy a shortened Driver.   I’m 6’ 2”, but have never got on with long Drivers.   I would gladly give up 20 yards for tighter dispersion.

Are 3 wood shafts exactly the same as driver shafts, just shorter?

If I took 1.5” off Driver length & added weight to regain the same swing weight, would I need a stiffer shaft?

Thanks.

The standard referred to is the playing length of the club similar to when you see an iron has a length of 37” 

The length of the shaft itself may vary based on the adapter used. But that measurement refers to the length of shaft from bottom of adapter to the butt end of the shaft

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The standard referred to is the playing length of the club similar to when you see an iron has a length of 37” 

The length of the shaft itself may vary based on the adapter used. But that measurement refers to the length of shaft from bottom of adapter to the butt end of the shaft

I am reading your response as the measurement is to the bottom of the adapter. Isn’t playing length from butt of club to the bottom of the clubhead? So a driver with a 45” Playing length may only have a 43” shaft when measured from butt to end of adapter.

When figuring out playing length you need to know how much length the clubhead adds once you attach it to the shaft with adapter.

Sorry, reread your response and it makes sense now.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I am reading your response as the measurement is to the bottom of the adapter. Isn’t playing length from butt of club to the bottom of the clubhead? So a driver with a 45” Playing length may only have a 43” shaft when measured from butt to end of adapter.

When figuring out playing length you need to know how much length the clubhead adds once you attach it to the shaft with adapter.

Sorry, reread your response and it makes sense now. emoji16.png

All good. I’ve had to do that a lot this week with stuff at work. It’s the summer heat 🤪

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1