TESTERS WANTED! ×

Everyone should play blades 7iron-PW

Sam1am

Im a higher handicap player playing a split bag of T100’s(4-6)MB’s(7-PW). Most golfers I play with (high and low handicap players) are most comfortable/confident with their wedges. Almost everyone I play with have blade style wedges. These players are also almost always terrified at the thought of playing a blade style iron. To me if you’re most comfortable/confident with a blade style wedge why wouldn’t you want to have that in your short irons also. I truly feel everyone should play blades 7-PW regardless of handicap. 

3 minutes ago, jlukes said:

You should tell that to Vikor Hovland. He won a PGA Tour event with Ping I210s. 

Oh and also tell 95% of the LPGA and Champions tour players, who are all +++ handicappers with ball striking ability that most amateurs can only dream about. 

A couple of the PGA top 10 players don't play blades.  A couple of the LPGA top 10 players do play blades.  

Why is it that you can find the 2020 WITB for the top 10 PGA players, but nothing for the LPGA for 2020.  In fact, many of the top 10 LPGA players have no WITB or it's several years old.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Just now, Kenny B said:

A couple of the PGA top 10 players don't play blades.  A couple of the LPGA top 10 players do play blades.  

Why is it that you can find the 2020 WITB for the top 10 PGA players, but nothing for the LPGA for 2020.  In fact, many of the top 10 LPGA players have no WITB or it's several years old.

Because LPGA tour has little influence over club buying. Which is funny since their swing speeds are more comparable to most amateurs 

1 minute ago, Mcwilliams602 said:

Lol you’re drinking the water, so explain jordan spieth, amazing ball striker who plays a players iron. Why isn’t he winning every week?

A. he can't drive the ball straight and

B. he can't putt like he did in 2015.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Just now, Mcwilliams602 said:

Get out of here with that! Every player has ups and downs it’s easily the most unpredictable sport that’s why everyone struggles, side note what’s you most comfortable/ confident club in your bag? 

So Spieth sucks now because he doesn't play blades, but when he was playing well and winning majors he... still wasn't playing blades. 

To answer your question, putter, followed by driver, 3 wood and 6 iron 

I’m not saying speith sucks by any means, just my thoughts I think everyone could benefit from blades (which are never advertised) 7-PW. Almost everyone that has tried blades I own is almost shocked at how well they can hit them. Not saying anyone can go out a rip a 3 iron. 

23 minutes ago, jlukes said:

You should tell that to Vikor Hovland. He won a PGA Tour event yesterday with Ping I210s. 

Oh and also tell 95% of the LPGA and Champions tour players, who are all +++ handicappers with ball striking ability that most amateurs can only dream about,who also use cavity back or players cavity irons 

Well said, I see plenty of GI clubs in a pros bag when at tournaments.⛳🇺🇸✌️

The fitting that Hovland and we are getting is two very different things, he’s not hitting i210’s you get at dicks sporting goods, your lying to your self if you think they aren’t tweaked or adjust to benefit his style of play, he’s also been spotted playing blueprints just saying

2 minutes ago, Mcwilliams602 said:

The fitting that Hovland and we are getting is two very different things, he’s not hitting i210’s you get at dicks sporting goods, your lying to your self if you think they aren’t tweaked or adjust to benefit his style of play, he’s also been spotted playing blueprints just saying

He's never played blue prints. He has had a half set of iblades mixed with the 210s, but guess what, they were the iblade long irons. He continued playing i210 short irons 🤯🤯

And if you're getting your fittings at dicks sporting goods then you have bigger issues. 

Alright in done here. 

Your clearly hear just to pontificate about your theory that has absolutely zero merit. Enjoy your time here... 

They were for a week, and it was because of swing weight, which ping fixed for him with wait for it wait for it without lead tape! Zero merit cause I’m not an internet troll like you? You weren’t forced to comment? Good luck continuing to pretend you have it all figured out

Why shouldn't everyone play whatever they want?

Maybe the title of your thread should be "everyone should try blades 7-P"  ... if they don't work for you they don't work for you but coming in hot and telling everyone what they should do kind of upsets some people.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Oh... the blade thing again.

As a guy that had a stance much like you.

My new outlook on golf is.....

Give me some forgiveness from top to bottom. Currently playing Blueprint irons (thank you MGS)... but I took my old Taylormade RBZ Tour goo filled CB irons out for a ride and played some awesome golf.

So good, I am looking at the Glide 3.0 wedges.

Yes, blades are fun, they look good, the give you the ability to shape the ball.

But, CB irons give me all of that plus a hint of forgiveness on my misses.

Not sure why in the heck I ever decided I needed a full set of blades, bring my some elastomer filled forgiveness.

I’m glad you are having success with blades, I used to think the only clubs built should be blades, but now... I’m thinking they should be sent to the museum. Golf is so much easier with forgiving clubs.

Thanks for the thread, it’s a fun one.

Golf is designed to be enjoyed however one wants. 
Old equipment, new equipment, expensive equipment, hand me down equipment. Play for fun, play for score. It's all golf and it's great. 
I'd never tell someone not to play blades if that is what made them enjoy the game. 

Yep, and priorities change too.

Mine was to play blades no matter what because that’s what I felt like was the purest form of golf.

Now, I want to get some seriously low scores. There will be a lot of testing going on in the bag.

I’ve actually looked at a possible 7 and 9 wood! If the gapping was correct at that range I could go 1,3,5,7,9 wood then a 5 iron. The woods would keep the snap hook at bay over a hybrid.

Hey thanks for not being a hater,

first off I don’t think only blades should be the only clubs mades 

I’ve tried almost every brand of blades personal favorite was the MP18 

but most importantly 7-PW what and where is this forgiveness you are seeing, I’ve tried every CB along with the blades and can’t seem to find this forgiveness they feel almost exactly the same and unless you pick the club up they look the same. Besides mizunos 4 versions of the CB. 

I don’t care what anyone says I know hovland picked those clubs cause they worked for him but I know he knows and the people who built his clubs know he could do more with a more bladed style short clubs. Why he plays them I don’t know really don’t care but I do know being a guy with access to a monitor and almost every major manufacturers clubs to test on and off the course I can’t be convinced a thick cavity 8 iron will out preform a bladed 8 iron regardless of ability. Numbers don’t lie sure a high handicapper  may hit that cavity 8 iron 160-170 but what’s the spin what’s that ball doing I bet 10 times out of 10 that a bladed 8 irons numbers besides distance will be better. How many cavity back/ game improvement iron players do you know that pick up their forgiving 7 iron and check the ball from 150-160 out cause everyone I know the ball rolls off the back. Personally I believe the only place for that shot is 4-6iron where your main concern is getting to a distance you want. I have never heard some say I want my 6 to go 220 and check! They want 220 and then some most of the time.

Also to me I don’t look at the 210’s as CB’s I look at them as the game improvement irons. I see the difference in MB’s to i210’s 

but take titleists MB’s to CB’s besides looks I don’t see a significant difference in swing weight address or performance I’m big on science and unfortunately numbers don’t lie 

thanks again for some positivity  

Im a higher handicap player playing a split bag of T100’s(4-6)MB’s(7-PW). Most golfers I play with (high and low handicap players) are most comfortable/confident with their wedges. Almost everyone I play with have blade style wedges. These players are also almost always terrified at the thought of playing a blade style iron. To me if you’re most comfortable/confident with a blade style wedge why wouldn’t you want to have that in your short irons also. I truly feel everyone should play blades 7-PW regardless of handicap. 

It’s an interesting thought, for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I dont know about that.  It really depends upon the person and what they feel comfortable with.  Some people just  dont feel comfortable with a blade and would play better with a clubhead with a thicker sole and larger head that gives them more confidence.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

You should tell that to Vikor Hovland. He won a PGA Tour event yesterday with Ping I210s. 

Oh and also tell 95% of the LPGA and Champions tour players, who are all +++ handicappers with ball striking ability that most amateurs can only dream about,who also use cavity back or players cavity irons 

58 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Golf is designed to be enjoyed however one wants. 

Old equipment, new equipment, expensive equipment, hand me down equipment. Play for fun, play for score. It's all golf and it's great. 

I'd never tell someone not to play blades if that is what made them enjoy the game. 

Well, won't state it directly but will instead strongly imply by pointing out that higher skilled folks choose not to do so....and so then........(cough). But I'd never tell anyone either, but I would infer it!

Edited by Trial&Error
1 hour ago, Mcwilliams602 said:

You’re probably correct but I did say it was just my thought. Either way I’ll come out as hot as I want lol I’m arguing with a guy that prides himself in his cute forum photo and probably owns a reptile of some sort. 

The #1 iron on tour isn’t and hasn’t been blades. The AP2 in bags thru 9i or pw for some was #1 and now it’s t100. Day and Wolff have p750s 4-9. 

1 hour ago, Mcwilliams602 said:

He’s playing the same i210s you can buy anywhere, the difference is he has access to tour van to make tweaks to them that you can’t get from the vast majority of golf stores but that one can pay for a club builder to do. The pros heads come from the same manufacturing process as every other club from a brand, the oem pics they heads with tighter tolerances but that doesn’t mean that they are spot on specs 

I have a m1 430 tour head that’s 1.6* higher lofted than the stated loft.

someone that digs isn’t going to benefit from a thin iron just like they don’t benefit from a low bounce wedge and someone that plays firm and tight lies will not be happy with wider sole irons and wedges.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1