Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Equalization of "total weight" by butt weighting my irons

I added home-made butt weights to my irons so as to create the same total weight in each club, for pitching wedge through 2-iron.  I added a two gram weight in my pitching wedge, a seven gram weight in my 9-iron, 12 gram in the 8-iron, etc, until a 43 gram weight in my 2-iron.  They are inserted into the end of the shaft and held by the grip.  The weights get heavier as the clubs lengthen because standard unweighted clubs get lighter as they lengthen.  It’s a simple matter of weighing the pitching wedge and using that weight (plus two grams) as the target weight for the other clubs.  Then a butt weight is calculated, constructed, and added to each club to bring it up to the target weight.  The result is that the total weight or dead weight of all the irons are the same.  Why did I do it?

Normal club weighting gives a faster acceleration of the longer (lighter) clubs, at least in the first half of the downswing.  This means adjustments to the swing have to be made.  I want to have only one acceleration rate for all my irons.  I don’t want any adjustments in my swing.    I’m not going to weight my driver because the butt weight in a driver would be very heavy, much heavier than the butt weight in the 2-iron and I don’t want to sacrifice distance in my driver.  I’m not sure what I’ll do to my 3-wood yet; I’ll probably try a weight just to see what happens.  I don’t know yet if I lost any distance with my butt-weighted irons.  I don’t see why it should be more than a few yards with the longest iron, and less for each shorter iron.  Actually I don’t have any exact data on the carry of my old irons other than the rough numbers I use to pick the right club for approach shots.  I have only tried my modified irons on the range so far.  And so far they seem to do what was intended—make the irons feel and act more alike.  The true test will be in the playing when spring arrives.  With a flight monitor I could do a comparison test using any normal 2-iron and then adding a 43 gram weight to my wrist and comparing the carry.  But I don’t care really if I lose a few yards.

I wonder who has tried this weighting idea before.  It’s seems pretty obvious as something to try.  Also, why it didn’t it catch on.

(p.s. normal swingweight matching makes the longer clubs release more slowly than the shorter clubs.  MOI matched clubs have the same release, so I used MOI matching instead of swingweight matching.)  

(p.s. 2, Swingweight scales don't work with butt weights installed, but MOI is measured with butt weights installed.)   

Edited by Steve Long

Interesting concept. I have never thought about that before. Essentially you are counterbalancing the weight of the club, but you are doing it so that they are uniform in total weight. It’ll  be interesting to hear the results from on course play. I know there is a grip called the secret grip that is weighted, but I don’t think they are progressive to make all the irons the same weight. This is a bit interesting though. I’ll be watching to see any comments by some of the fitters or club makers in here. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• 4 weeks later...

interesting. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested to hear how you adjusted to the (nearly) non-existent swingweight in the longest irons.

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ UST ProForce V2 5F3 @ 45"

Callaway Epic Speed 4wd w/ AccuFLEX Evolution Reg

Dynacraft Genesis 3 hybrid w/ Steelfiber i95r

Srixon ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-GW w/ UST Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/10 w/ Recoil 95 F4 shaft

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03 w/ Recoil 95 F4 9i shaft

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

On 2/25/2020 at 1:39 PM, Steve Long said:

I added home-made butt weights to my irons so as to create the same total weight in each club, for pitching wedge through 2-iron.  I added a two gram weight in my pitching wedge, a seven gram weight in my 9-iron, 12 gram in the 8-iron, etc, until a 43 gram weight in my 2-iron.  They are inserted into the end of the shaft and held by the grip.  The weights get heavier as the clubs lengthen because standard unweighted clubs get lighter as they lengthen.  It’s a simple matter of weighing the pitching wedge and using that weight (plus two grams) as the target weight for the other clubs.  Then a butt weight is calculated, constructed, and added to each club to bring it up to the target weight.  The result is that the total weight or dead weight of all the irons are the same.  Why did I do it?

Normal club weighting gives a faster acceleration of the longer (lighter) clubs, at least in the first half of the downswing.  This means adjustments to the swing have to be made.  I want to have only one acceleration rate for all my irons.  I don’t want any adjustments in my swing.    I’m not going to weight my driver because the butt weight in a driver would be very heavy, much heavier than the butt weight in the 2-iron and I don’t want to sacrifice distance in my driver.  I’m not sure what I’ll do to my 3-wood yet; I’ll probably try a weight just to see what happens.  I don’t know yet if I lost any distance with my butt-weighted irons.  I don’t see why it should be more than a few yards with the longest iron, and less for each shorter iron.  Actually I don’t have any exact data on the carry of my old irons other than the rough numbers I use to pick the right club for approach shots.  I have only tried my modified irons on the range so far.  And so far they seem to do what was intended—make the irons feel and act more alike.  The true test will be in the playing when spring arrives.  With a flight monitor I could do a comparison test using any normal 2-iron and then adding a 43 gram weight to my wrist and comparing the carry.  But I don’t care really if I lose a few yards.

I wonder who has tried this weighting idea before.  It’s seems pretty obvious as something to try.  Also, why it didn’t it catch on.

(p.s. normal swingweight matching makes the longer clubs release more slowly than the shorter clubs.  MOI matched clubs have the same release, so I used MOI matching instead of swingweight matching.)  

(p.s. 2, Swingweight scales don't work with butt weights installed, but MOI is measured with butt weights installed.)   

What did you use to make your weights and how did you do it?

My Weapons of Grass Destruction 🏌️‍♂️

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke S

:titelist-small: 917F2 15* Diamana Blue 70 S

:titelist-small: 818H1 19* Evenflow Blue 85HY S

:titelist-small: 716 AP2 4-P AMT White S300

:vokey-small: SM7 50.12 F bent 1* weak, SM7 56.14 F, SM7 60.08 M - S200

:odyssey-small: Black Series 3

RH - Ontario 🇨🇦 and Ohio 🇺🇸

Avg. score 85-92

• 3 months later...

I have been playing for a few months now with my butt weighted irons which as described above were all given the same total weight.  I can report that the experiment has results.   I cannot tell any difference in the performance or feeling between the clubs, except of course my swing plane is inclined differently for each club, which creates some differences.  But the downswing resistance to acceleration seems the same, and the release pattern seems the same.   It should be noted that my irons (and woods) were all adjusted for equal MOI, by adjusting the shaft length.  The equal MOI also contributes to the feeling of sameness.   I can't say for sure which is contributing more, the butt weighting or the MOI, but they both have an effect.  

I have been playing for a few months now with my butt weighted irons which as described above were all given the same total weight.  I can report that the experiment has results.   I cannot tell any difference in the performance or feeling between the clubs, except of course my swing plane is inclined differently for each club, which creates some differences.  But the downswing resistance to acceleration seems the same, and the release pattern seems the same.   It should be noted that my irons (and woods) were all adjusted for equal MOI, by adjusting the shaft length.  The equal MOI also contributes to the feeling of sameness.   I can't say for sure which is contributing more, the butt weighting or the MOI, but they both have an effect.  

Have your scores improved and has your distance/dispersion become more consistent?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 4/13/2020 at 7:11 AM, paperclip said:

What did you use to make your weights and how did you do it?

The weights were made from a stainless steel shaft cut to the right length for the needed weight, and a washer welded to the end so as to keep the weight from sliding down inside the shaft.

5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Have your scores improved and has your distance/dispersion become more consistent?

That's difficult to answer.  I didn't play for some months and I changed the iron's  "swingweight" and I changed my swing and I practiced more than usual and I changed my putting stroke.  Nevertheless,  I did have some lowest scores since many years.

Edited by Steve Long