Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Clubs and Scorecards

chisag

My old cliche, "the scorecard doesn't have pictures."  Even though you sort of said some scorecards have pictures, but not of any of my shots or club selections.

The best players in match play find a way to make par when they miss the drive, shank the approach shot, and chunk a chip, leaving an 80 foot putt.  Meanwhile my playing partner stripes one down the middle and hits his approach shot to 15 feet for his birdie attempt.  The guy who "Seve'd" his way around that hole can completely demoralize his match play opponent by draining that 80 foot par putt, while he watches the guy who hit the perfect drive and the approach shot to 15 feet, 3 putt for bogey to lose the hole.

The scorecard doesn't care how you did it, just as long as you are honest about how many it took to do it.

The teaching moment for all golfers is to never give up on a hole.  I can hit my drive into a penalty area on a par 5, and still walk off of the green with a par, if I hit my 3rd shot down near the green, pitch on in 4, and make the putt.  You will demoralize your playing partners by doing this.  And if nothing else, you will mentally wear them out by making par when a bogey would have been a good score.  Seve Ballesteros was the master manipulator, but hitting an approach shot from the parking lot to about 20 feet, and making the putt for birdie.

Golf doesn't have to be pretty, just accurate when counting it up.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I play an average of three times a week with a group that doesn't keep score.

It's just about the fresh air and laughs.

The bets are usually on individual shots, and we play in conventional order so we all see each other's shots.

So, Mr. Scorecard, you can take a breather on our rounds.

There are different ways and different reasons to play this game.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods          Titleist U-505___driving iron [bent from 18 to 19º]          Titleist T-100___#s5-9 irons          Titleist T-150___48°W-----Titleist SM-10___54-08, 60-04 wedges____True Temper Dynamic Gold R-300 [13]       Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G [13]     Louisville Golf Amby-Dex___putter          Titleist Pro V1x___ball