TESTERS WANTED! ×

L.A.B Golf Putters

MmmmmmBuddy

So, is there anyone out there that has any extended experience with a Directed Force/L.A.B. Golf Putter? I am very interested in hearing what people that have owned one of these for more than a few weeks have to say.  

A  little back story..   I was introduced to the original Directed Force putter about 5 years ago. It didn't make a very good initial impression on me at the time, probably because no one explained the tech and the why to me.

Fast forward to the 2020 PGA show.  I am walking past the putting green on Wednesday of the show, and I happen to see friend of mine working, and fitting players into the LAB golf Putters. I come to find out that he is now the CEO of LAB Golf.  I had no idea.  It was a little hectic at the show, so we only spent a few minutes chatting, but we made an appointment to meet up when we got back home. 

I spent 2 hours with Sam, learning about the technology and the why. It makes sense to me, but I want to know what educated consumers and previous owners of the putters think.

Thanks for your time!!

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

6 hours ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

So, is there anyone out there that has any extended experience with a Directed Force/L.A.B. Golf Putter? I am very interested in hearing what people that have owned one of these for more than a few weeks have to say.  

A  little back story..   I was introduced to the original Directed Force putter about 5 years ago. It didn't make a very good initial impression on me at the time, probably because no one explained the tech and the why to me.

Fast forward to the 2020 PGA show.  I am walking past the putting green on Wednesday of the show, and I happen to see friend of mine working, and fitting players into the LAB golf Putters. I come to find out that he is now the CEO of LAB Golf.  I had no idea.  It was a little hectic at the show, so we only spent a few minutes chatting, but we made an appointment to meet up when we got back home. 

I spent 2 hours with Sam, learning about the technology and the why. It makes sense to me, but I want to know what educated consumers and previous owners of the putters think.

Thanks for your time!!

I have had the original and now the Reno 2.1 in my bag for four years now I think. I have tried to find a putter to replace it. It is without a doubt one of the most ugly putters on the face of the planet. No putter has been able to knock it out of my bag. The stroke is repeatable and the technology is for real. Putting is the strongest part of my game. One of the tips that I saw when you are using the putter is to make practice swings without your thumbs touching the grip so the the technology of the lie angle balanced head will do its own work....and it truly does. Amazing putter. I am absolutely shocked that this putter hasn’t caught on more than it has....

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

I took a look at the website*. I've only encountered one person several years ago that had one of the DF putters. The guy that had it wasn't a good putter but I'm sure he thought buying would be magic for him. It wasn't. I've never owned or tried one and probably won't. Like most boutique putters these are expensive too. I also own an expensive Edel putter. I purchased my custom putter for no other reason than I just wanted one. My putter is nice looking but I wasn't looking to improve my putting. I was a good putter before I bought it and I'm still a good putter. It made no difference other than being a good looking putter.

*tell your friend that owns the company to change his photos of the DF putters. All of the photos except two are of a black putter against a black background. That doesn't help if someone is wanting to see details.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

4 hours ago, joen said:

One of the tips that I saw when you are using the putter is to make practice swings without your thumbs touching the grip so the the technology of the lie angle balanced head will do its own work....and it truly does...

Funny that you would mention the No Thumbs practice.  That is one of the things that Sam talked to me about, and really helps me feel the technology work.

2 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

I took a look at the website*. I've only encountered one person several years ago that had one of the DF putters. The guy that had it wasn't a good putter but I'm sure he thought buying would be magic for him. It wasn't. I've never owned or tried one and probably won't. Like most boutique putters these are expensive too. I also own an expensive Edel putter. I purchased my custom putter for no other reason than I just wanted one. My putter is nice looking but I wasn't looking to improve my putting. I was a good putter before I bought it and I'm still a good putter. It made no difference other than being a good looking putter.

*tell your friend that owns the company to change his photos of the DF putters. All of the photos except two are of a black putter against a black background. That doesn't help if someone is wanting to see details.

I will pass along your feedback.  Thanks.   

I would call myself a fair to better than average putter who can get on a hot streak and make everything for a few days.  I am in the midst of one of the best putting years of my life, so I am not looking to change putters just for the sake of change. I am aware that this particular model has as much curb appeal as a dumpster fire. However, if I can make 2 more putts per round, that means that I can win that much more $ over the course of the year. 

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I've had a chance to talk to the original CEO and designer at a Golf Expo and the tech makes a ton of sense to me.  I';s a weird feel at first, but after a few swings, you get more used to it.  They designed the "blad" version because of the negative feedback of the "mallet" version. One of the local club Pros in Roseville recently switched to the mallet and loves it and is doing fittings.  I just couldn't justify the expense a they are pricey, but it makes a lotta sense to me. 

They were on the list supposed to be in the most wanted putter testing, but not sure what happened

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

They were on the list supposed to be in the most wanted putter testing, but not sure what happened

This is not an official statement from MGS and my thoughts. From what I know There are specific requirements to submit a club to be included in most wanted. One of those is the club needs to be a stock off the shelf club; this becomes difficult when one of your purchase criteria is to do do fittings to enable the person to obtain the right club. Not possible in most wanted, since you can not fit every tester. This also means the clubs are limited in how they can be configured when sent for testing.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

35 minutes ago, cnosil said:

This is not an official statement from MGS and my thoughts. From what I know There are specific requirements to submit a club to be included in most wanted. One of those is the club needs to be a stock off the shelf club; this becomes difficult when one of your purchase criteria is to do do fittings to enable the person to obtain the right club. Not possible in most wanted, since you can not fit every tester. This also means the clubs are limited in how they can be configured when sent for testing.

Good point! I've read and heard on the podcast about the fitting windows they are trying to fit Most Wanted Testing into with the equipment ( at least for shafts on full swing clubs), and i'm not sure that these can be bent to match the lie angle as that is the whole point of these specific putters, or if each Lie angle has it's own drilled hole.

When i talked to the original CEO, he said that he's asked to be tested by MGS and was denied, and when they popped up on the list for 2019, I was very intrigued.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2020 at 4:13 PM, McaseyM said:

Good point! I've read and heard on the podcast about the fitting windows they are trying to fit Most Wanted Testing into with the equipment ( at least for shafts on full swing clubs), and i'm not sure that these can be bent to match the lie angle as that is the whole point of these specific putters, or if each Lie angle has it's own drilled hole.

When i talked to the original CEO, he said that he's asked to be tested by MGS and was denied, and when they popped up on the list for 2019, I was very intrigued.  

That’s incredibly inaccurate. They don’t require a fitting. They’re also sold in stores now and have been for a while now. They recommend you get fitted, which all companies do now. I’ve spoken with Bill and Sam both and they’ve both said they’ll sell you anything but they recommend a fitting so they can get not only loft and lie but also rotation speed correct. But it’s not and never has been a requirement.

Ive used one of their putters. Still have one. I took that putter well, especially on fast greens as it squares itself and maintaining speed is relatively easy with it.  This time of year when it’s slower, I use different stuff. Mainly because I’ve got a rack full of putters anyway, but the LAB does exactly what they advertise it stays square to square. You also have to slightly adjust your stance and move the ball slightly forward for it to work properly. That’s because of the forward press on it. 

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

11 hours ago, RookieBlue7 said:

That’s incredibly inaccurate. They don’t require a fitting. They’re also sold in stores now and have been for a while now. They recommend you get fitted, which all companies do now. I’ve spoken with Bill and Sam both and they’ve both said they’ll sell you anything but they recommend a fitting so they can get not only loft and lie but also rotation speed correct. But it’s not and never has been a requirement.

Ive used one of their putters. Still have one. I took that putter well, especially on fast greens as it squares itself and maintaining speed is relatively easy with it.  This time of year when it’s slower, I use different stuff. Mainly because I’ve got a rack full of putters anyway, but the LAB does exactly what they advertise it stays square to square. You also have to slightly adjust your stance and move the ball slightly forward for it to work properly. That’s because of the forward press on it. 

Howdy, I never said that anyone required a fitting, but from what I heard on the MGS  podcast was Harry and the guys try to fit the shaft for full swing clubs into a certain window for more reliable results, but I wasn’t sure how they do the Most Wanted testing for putters. If everyone is rolling 70 degree lie angle putter, it may not have great results of some people need a 68 or 72. With my admittedly limited personal experience with the LAB putters, the lie angle was much different than my current gamer. When Bill did a fitting for me at a golf show, the LAB putter lie angle was notably different compared to my current putter, I’m guessing  due to the placement of the shaft. 
The point I was trying to convey was that maybe any lie difference between a traditionally shafted putter versus a LAB putter would negatively impact the LAB putter’s results. I don’t know,  but was just hypothesizing. 

The LAB would do just fine in testing. As I’ve seen many people do just fine while tinkering in the PGA store. The fitter in there always has folks try it, how many he sells I don’t know. I’m wanting the Blād next as it’s more traditionally shaped with the same tech. 

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Do the mods or anyone else at MGS have the reason why they were listed on the Most Wanted Testing for 2019, but weren't included?  Did they decline? 

I had an interesting experience with LAB golf and figured I'd share since it originated here.  I won one of their putters in the MGS equipment raffle last year.  When it arrived, the specs were 33.5" and a 68.5 lie angle which didn't really fit me.  I was going to write up a review but since the specs were off I didn't get around to it.  I got a putter fitting a few months after I received the putter and the putter specs I was fit into was 35" long with a 70* lie angle.  I took off the grip and extended the putter 1.5" and replaced the grip with one I ordered directly from their site.  You have to use their proprietary grip since it has the forward press built into it.

After I extended it, I gave it a try but since the lie angle was so far off it never felt comfortable.  I received a DM on instagram from LAB golf in January asking me if I ever wrote up a review of the putter here on MGS.  I explained to the person that reached out that the putter didn't fit me, etc.  They agreed that extending it wouldn't work and besides the lie angle being off, the head would be way too heavy and feel like a sledgehammer.  I was surprised they recommended that I take out the extension and sell the club on Ebay and let them know what I get for it.  They said they would check the stockroom and see if they could find one in my specs and to reach back out once I sold it.

Fast forward a few weeks, I sold the putter on ebay and reached back out to them via Instagram.  They said to reach out to an individual via email and let him know.  I sent an email and explained the entire story.  A week went by and I had no response.  I sent a follow up email after that and finally received a response and whoever it was indicated they had a putter that matched my specs in the warehouse.  I sent a response back and asked what we needed to do to get it sent out to me.  I wasn't sure if they were going to give it to me at the price I sold mine on Ebay or what.  Another week went by and no response back to my email.  I sent another follow up emails basically saying, "Hello, is anyone there?"  That was weeks ago and I've never heard back again.

All in all it left a bad taste in my mouth since they were so responsive to begin with and then dropped the ball after I sold the putter.  I'm really disappointed because I was excited about testing it and really felt it was going to be a great putter.  I'm not super upset since I was lucky enough to win it in the beginning but I would rather have had the putter than anything I made off of it through selling it.

My bag is a revolving door!

7 hours ago, McaseyM said:

Do the mods or anyone else at MGS have the reason why they were listed on the Most Wanted Testing for 2019, but weren't included?  Did they decline? 

I have some basic information. The putters were included in the testing;  I putted with them for 2019 testing.  One of the criteria for being part of most wanted is that the putter has to be OEM and can't have paid upgrades.   Apparently the putters that were sent did not meet that criteria an were removed.

20 hours ago, McaseyM said:

Howdy, I never said that anyone required a fitting, but from what I heard on the MGS  podcast was Harry and the guys try to fit the shaft for full swing clubs into a certain window for more reliable results, but I wasn’t sure how they do the Most Wanted testing for putters. If everyone is rolling 70 degree lie angle putter, it may not have great results of some people need a 68 or 72. 

For putters they request standard lie 34" putters.   For manufacturers  that send in multiple models for different stroke types, they try to fit you into one of those models.  This is basically what people going into stores buy. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

I have some basic information. The putters were included in the testing;  I putted with them for 2019 testing.  One of the criteria for being part of most wanted is that the putter has to be OEM and can't have paid upgrades.   Apparently the putters that were sent did not meet that criteria an were removed.

For putters they request standard lie 34" putters.   For manufacturers  that send in multiple models for different stroke types, they try to fit you into one of those models.  This is basically what people going into stores buy. 

Thanks for the info!!! 

I am fairly new to DF as I have only owned mine this year thus far, so a lot of practice and a few rounds of golf so far.  I purchased the Blad2 at 76 deg and 37".  I went through the on line fitting vs in person, and am impressed  with the delivered product as it is right on the money of what I was expecting from a fit perspective.  I decided to purchase one based on the fitting and tech they are selling, it seemed to make logical sense to me.  Time will tell after I get through the honeymoon period, but I love it thus far.    

Cobra LTD Driver

Sterling SL 5-SW

Maltby MG 60 Wedge

Wishon 4W

DF Blad2 Putter

• 1 month later...

Every week, LAB Golf posts new factory seconds on ebay. For a small company, i wonder why they have so many factory seconds in various lie angles and lengths. It’s not like its the standard lie angle putters they sell through retailers. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I'll report back soon.......just took delivery of my new Blade2 with tour stability shaft. Did a fitting locally and rolled the heck out of it. I'll be playing my first round with it this weekend. Few more practice sessions and game on!

:titleist-small: TSR2 - Ventus Red, 6X

:titleist-small: TSR2 3W - Ventus Red, 7X

:titleist-small: TSR2 5W - Ventus Red TR, 8X

:mizuno-small: JPX 223 Tour PW-7i/JPX 223 Forged 6i-4i - Nippon Modus 130X

:taylormade-small: MG3 - 50, 54, 58* -  Nippon Modus 130X

:scotty-small: Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura X5 

:titleist-small: Titleist Prov1

I know Bill Presse and played a DF for a while. I liked it. It is super stable and the tech is real. I just got tired of the ginormus head taking up my entire bag. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

I've been wanting to try the 2.1 as it looks really interesting and I have seen some really good reviews on it. I just cant justify the price right now for a pure test and i havent seen any demos any where. The resale value is not great either, so too much risk right now.  I was looking at picking up a used one to play around with, but just found another putter that i am falling in love with. once the honeymoon face is over, i may revisit as i really think there may be something to the 2.1

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

3 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

I've been wanting to try the 2.1 as it looks really interesting and I have seen some really good reviews on it. I just cant justify the price right now for a pure test and i havent seen any demos any where. The resale value is not great either, so too much risk right now.  I was looking at picking up a used one to play around with, but just found another putter that i am falling in love with. once the honeymoon face is over, i may revisit as i really think there may be something to the 2.1

These are kind of a bad idea used as well. The honestly are very individually fit. As they should be, but its not like other putters. If you pick one of these up that was fit for someone else. They feel really weird. 

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

2 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

These are kind of a bad idea used as well. The honestly are very individually fit. As they should be, but its not like other putters. If you pick one of these up that was fit for someone else. They feel really weird. 

you cant bend the lie angle?

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

4 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

I've been waiting for the right spec to be available on ebay. If it ever is and its a good deal, i might buy it, if not, then will just continue on with my existing putter.

1 minute ago, scooterhd2 said:

I don't think there is anything to bend. It looks like from what I can tell that the hole is drilled in the head to achieve a specific lie angle. 

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

7 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I've been waiting for the right spec to be available on ebay. If it ever is and its a good deal, i might buy it, if not, then will just continue on with my existing putter.

I don't think there is anything to bend. It looks like from what I can tell that the hole is drilled in the head to achieve a specific lie angle. 

I see what you mean..🙄. At least used if you do some market and buy at a good price you can probably flip it quickly and get your money back or just lose a few on shipping. We'll see. not in the market right now anyway. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

28 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

Sorry, no. 

• 1 month later...

Hey guys.....just wanted to check back into this question. First, I was fitted for the LAB, Blad 2.1. I went into the fitting as open minded as I could muster and with a mindset that I would purchase the one that yielded the best results....because, like a lot of folks, I just didn’t like the look of the Directed Force. Ultimately, I liked the Blad 2.1 better.

Fast forward 45 or so days. Started out putting “okay” with the 2.1. Then had about a 2 week period were I almost took it out of the bag for good. Decided to stick with it and dedicated some practice time before I tossed out the coin I spent to purchase. One of the biggest issues I had with this putter is that it has a very small sweet spot and if you don’t hit that sweet spot, the feel changes, the sound changes and I was leaving several putts short. Looking back, I guess this is actually one of this putters strengths......it provides instant feedback, unlike a lot of other putters I’ve tested over the past few years.

I ended up changing my set up a bit; moved the ball a bit more left and standing about a ball farther away at address. Boom......everything changed and the putter is an absolute weapon now. For the past few weeks, I’m literally making everything inside 10-12 feet and my lag putting has gotten WAY better. Knock on wood.....over the past 4 rounds, I haven’t 3 putted a hole.

1 hour ago, dalejbrass said:

Hey guys.....just wanted to check back into this question. First, I was fitted for the LAB, Blad 2.1. I went into the fitting as open minded as I could muster and with a mindset that I would purchase the one that yielded the best results....because, like a lot of folks, I just didn’t like the look of the Directed Force. Ultimately, I liked the Blad 2.1 better.

Fast forward 45 or so days. Started out putting “okay” with the 2.1. Then had about a 2 week period were I almost took it out of the bag for good. Decided to stick with it and dedicated some practice time before I tossed out the coin I spent to purchase. One of the biggest issues I had with this putter is that it has a very small sweet spot and if you don’t hit that sweet spot, the feel changes, the sound changes and I was leaving several putts short. Looking back, I guess this is actually one of this putters strengths......it provides instant feedback, unlike a lot of other putters I’ve tested over the past few years.

I ended up changing my set up a bit; moved the ball a bit more left and standing about a ball farther away at address. Boom......everything changed and the putter is an absolute weapon now. For the past few weeks, I’m literally making everything inside 10-12 feet and my lag putting has gotten WAY better. Knock on wood.....over the past 4 rounds, I haven’t 3 putted a hole.

Thats great you are putting well after your tweaks.

Curious, what type fitting did you participate in (i.e. SAM , fitting with putter vendor, teacher)? thx

On 6/26/2020 at 10:04 AM, aerospace_ray said:

Thats great you are putting well after your tweaks.

Curious, what type fitting did you participate in (i.e. SAM , fitting with putter vendor, teacher)? thx

My fitting was with a LAB putter vendor here in NE FL. We spent an hour measuring lie and optimal length. Fortunately, he several demo putters, so I was able to putt with it on the practice green.

• 2 months later...

I was fit on Saturday for a DF 2.1. Really liked how nice of a roll the putter put on the ball. I have a few questions out to L.A.B. on different shaft/grip options, but I'm leaning toward a purchase. I didn't like the standard "OG Press" grip that the fitting tool used, so I think the newer "Press II 3.0" grip will be a better fit for me.

I ended up being fit for a much longer putter (2"-3") than what I'm using now. Any amount of practice putting makes my lower back hurt, so I've been trying to move to a more upright posture and really liked the longer length.

I was really impressed. I have some mechanical issues to resolve (my right arm likes to get too involved in my swing), but I think with a flat-front grip the DF will be a great fit for me. 

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

1 hour ago, edingc said:

I was fit on Saturday for a DF 2.1. Really liked how nice of a roll the putter put on the ball. I have a few questions out to L.A.B. on different shaft/grip options, but I'm leaning toward a purchase. I didn't like the standard "OG Press" grip that the fitting tool used, so I think the newer "Press II 3.0" grip will be a better fit for me.

I ended up being fit for a much longer putter (2"-3") than what I'm using now. Any amount of practice putting makes my lower back hurt, so I've been trying to move to a more upright posture and really liked the longer length.

I was really impressed. I have some mechanical issues to resolve (my right arm likes to get too involved in my swing), but I think with a flat-front grip the DF will be a great fit for me. 

What length and lie angle did you get fitted into?

Updated 07/15/2022

I too am thinking of going the LAB route for my next putter, but I'm considering all options. Really intrigued that my local @joen rolls one and I'm sure it's a killer for him. What's nicer is that there's a place that does fittings out an hour away, same place I was going to get fit for my G710's before... well, you know.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)