TESTERS WANTED! ×

L.A.B Golf Putters

MmmmmmBuddy

On 8/20/2021 at 6:44 PM, dlow206 said:

I have a small business and am an authorized fitter and reseller of LAB putters. Not too many folks ask about the broomstick putters, so i don’t think there are going to be any fitters that carry a broomstick in their fitting kit. Let me know if you have any other questions that i can help with.

I appreciate that. I've called and spoken to them and they noted they might have some broomsticks at PGA Superstores, but the closest one to me is 2+ hours away. They have been very helpful over the phone and said I could send in the video for a remote fitting and the SAM PuttLab data I received at the in person fitting with my old putter.

I just want to be sure that in addition to things like length (I've used a 50" putter for years, but started out on a 48") and shaft selection (Jake told me the biggest difference between the "KBS ski pole" and the "Stability shaft" was sound and feel (and close to $300), but that doesn't help me when I can't test the 2 versions to "feel" the difference), I'd love to know which if any of the 36 markings are better for my putting misses (I tend to miss right) and helping with alignment.

Also, with the shaft being center shafted, does head color/shaft color matter for sightlines? I can go black head/black shaft so it all blends together or would the contrast of a blue head/steel shaft be better? 

It's a $500+ (up to $800 depending on shaft) purchase, so I want to be sure I'm getting this 100% correct.

Edited by frazzman80
typo

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Cobra LTDx 3 wood 14* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Callaway Apex ‘19 forged 5-PW | Edison 2.0 wedges 49*, 53*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

13 hours ago, frazzman80 said:

I appreciate that. I've called and spoken to them and they noted they might have some broomsticks at PGA Superstores, but the closest one to me is 2+ hours away. They have been very helpful over the phone and said I could send in the video for a remote fitting and the SAM PuttLab data I received at the in person fitting with my old putter.

I just want to be sure that in addition to things like length (I've used a 50" putter for years, but started out on a 48") and shaft selection (Jake told me the biggest difference between the "KBS ski pole" and the "Stability shaft" was sound and feel (and close to $300), but that doesn't help me when I can't test the 2 versions to "feel" the difference), I'd love to know which if any of the 36 markings are better for my putting misses (I tend to miss right) and helping with alignment.

Also, with the shaft being center shafted, does head color/shaft color matter for sightlines? I can go black head/black shaft so it all blends together or would the contrast of a blue head/steel shaft be better? 

It's a $500+ (up to $800 depending on shaft) purchase, so I want to be sure I'm getting this 100% correct.

Edel has a lot of material about their putter fitting philosophy regarding the markings as well as their location. If you dig around on their website and youtube videos it could help you narrow down your selection. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

13 hours ago, frazzman80 said:

Head color and shaft color are purely cosmetic, you have to choose colors that agree with you. 

And as @BMart519mentioned, Edel is probably the most comprehensive on thinking about sightlines. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

now that 2nd swing has them, i am so tempted to pull the trigger just to try one

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

13 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Really considering the blade, so I can un-torque myself as they say.  

Talk me into or out of it.

go.

What are the issues you want to fix with your putting and why do you think this club will fix them?  Are you potentially willing to change HOW you putt?  Meaning the theory of no torque/torque balanced/face balanced at impact is that you don’t use your hands to manipulate the putter in any way;  the putter just rotates naturally.  If you like to hold the face off or make your hands rotating through the stroke this putter may not work well.    With this style putter, the goal to get you to setup neutral and kind of zero out the path which could potentially lead to the face being open or closed at impact if setup is a little off.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

What are the issues you want to fix with your putting and why do you think this club will fix them?  Are you potentially willing to change HOW you putt?  Meaning the theory of no torque/torque balanced/face balanced at impact is that you don’t use your hands to manipulate the putter in any way;  the putter just rotates naturally.  If you like to hold the face off or make your hands rotating through the stroke this putter may not work well.    With this style putter, the goal to get you to setup neutral and kind of zero out the path which could potentially lead to the face being open or closed at impact if setup is a little off.   

I literally just hit the ball with my putter.  I don’t think about it at all.  Line it up, and hit it.

I have an Anser, I can feel it twisting in my hands. Don’t like that.  

I’m all about making things as simple as possible.

26 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I literally just hit the ball with my putter.  I don’t think about it at all.  Line it up, and hit it.

’m all about making things as simple as possible.

That is what we all want to do,  just line it up and hit the ball with the putter.  we all want to make it simple.  

When does it twist?  Through the stroke or at impact?  If it is during the stroke then your hands/body and the putter are trying to do different things.   If it is at impact then you are simply missing the center of the face.

I guess the question is what is simple.  Simple in my mind would be to find a putter that fits how you move your body/hands and that you don’t feel the twisting you describe.  Is that a lab putter? Maybe.   The lab putter may also force you into changing a lot about your stroke to fit the putter.  Simple is taking a putter, setting up,  make strokes of different lengths with your eyes closed, and seeing if it starts on line.  If it starts on the intended line and you don’t feel that twisting then that is the right putter.   The complexity is finding various configurations and styles of putters to see what accomplishes the goal.   

ive rolled several of the DF 2.1 putters and I didn’t feel like it was better than anything I have tried.   Kind if an expensive experiment if it doesn’t work especially since that are custom built and weighted  based on lie angle.   I’d suggest trying one first if you can even if the fit isn’t perfect  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Twists in the takeaway. So then I death grip it. I mean statistically I’m ok at putting.  But I’ve never put any effort into it, practice or otherwise.  Just grabbed a putter and went.

Sounds like a small conflict but if you are putting ok, why change putters?  

10 minutes ago, Shankster said:

But I’ve never put any effort into it, practice or otherwise. 

4 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Because. Haha.  Maybe I could putt great?

See above;   Putter won’t fix lack effort 🤣

8 hours ago, Shankster said:

I’m all about making things as simple as possible.

I know you started by saying you wanted the B.2 blade, so that leads me to assume you can't get past the look of the DF 2.1?

I've had both, and sold my B.2 on the bay and actually made a few bucks due to good timing. The forgiveness of the higher MOI mallet won the day for me (as I could give a 🐀 a$$ what it looks like if it is getting more balls to the bottom of the cup in the least amount of strokes).  Most folks find the L.A.B. putters to do a great job of starting the ball on line, but that is by no means universal.

I get the best distance control by actually looking at the flag (or other aim point if there is break to the putt) and letting my brain figure out how to hit it to get it there. I liken it to playing corn hole, you look at the target, not at the bag when you make the toss. The forgiveness of the DF 2.1 to either toe or heel strikes makes it virtually a non-issue if I miss the exact center of the face.

For me, the tech WORKS, as I have never putted better.

And now you have my 2 cents worth.

P.S. do the remote video fitting they offer (as you can't beat the price of FREE). That way  you'll know your specs, and can head off to the bay and find one that matches (unless you are very far off the norm, then it might take a while). As long as you keep the headcover on it when not in use, you'll be able to sell it for what you bought it for, to either put towards the purchase of a new one (if you feel the need), or move on in your search, with your wallet unscathed.

That's probably 3 cents worth at this point...

I'm decidedly brand agnostic -- but a bit less so with my recent change from a PING driver

:titelist-small: - TSi2 10.5 Driver - Tensei AV Raw Blue 55 R

:titelist-small: - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

:cobra-small:- Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg - Original Series 0211 - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

:cleveland-small: - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex

image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png - Directed Force 2.1 (Nickel) - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

:Snell:- MTB  Black

datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg - DG Lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to image.png.77fe07cbfea697deca64bd4a4263a151.png - Quad XL and Tracked by :ShotScope: - V3

2 minutes ago, Tom D. said:

If know you started by saying you wanted the B.2 blade, so that leads me to assume you can't get past the look of the DF 2.1?

I've had both, and sold my B.2 on the bay and actually made a few bucks due to good timing. The forgiveness of the higher MOI mallet won the day for me (as I could give a 🐀 a$$ what it looks like if it is getting more balls to the bottom of the cup in the least amount of strokes).  Most folks find the L.A.B. putters to do a great job of starting the ball on line, but that is by no means universal.

I get the best distance control by actually looking at the flag (or other aim point if there is break to the putt) and letting my brain figure out how to hit it to get it there. I liken it to playing corn hole, you look at the target, not at the bag when you make the toss. The forgiveness of the DF 2.1 to either toe or heel strikes makes it virtually a non-issue if I miss the exact center of the face.

For me, the tech WORKS, as I have never putted better.

And now you have my 2 cents worth.

P.S. do the remote video fitting they offer (as you can't beat the price of FREE). That way  you'll know your specs, and can head off to the bay and find one that matches (unless you are very far off the norm, then it might take a while). As long as you keep the headcover on it when not in use, you'll be able to sell it for what you bought it for, to either put towards the purchase of a new one (if you feel the need), or move on in your search.

That's probably 3 cents worth at this point...

Yeah.  That thing is hideous.  Even if I sank everything I don’t think I could get over the looks.  But you never know.

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Yeah.  That thing is hideous.  Even if I sank everything I don’t think I could get over the looks.  But you never know.

Well, if you're going to let vanity stand in the way of writing a lower number at the end of the scorecard, I can't help you.

I'm decidedly brand agnostic -- but a bit less so with my recent change from a PING driver

:titelist-small: - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg - Original Series 0211 - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png - Directed Force 2.1 (Nickel) - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg - DG Lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to image.png.77fe07cbfea697deca64bd4a4263a151.png - Quad XL and Tracked by :ShotScope: - V3

8 hours ago, Shankster said:

Really considering the blade, so I can un-torque myself as they say.

Talk me into or out of it.

Hit a single 20 footer with the B.2 (stainless) yesterday at PGASS and was already placing it back on the rack before the ball dropped neatly into the middle. Despite the perfect lifetime average, I have zero urge to revisit that head, as it possesses all the personality of a fresh stick of Crayola sidewalk chalk at address.

My personal opinion of the B.2 aside, I’ll take this opportunity to drop the annual suggestion that you might instead consider devoting flat stick practice time commensurate with the ratio of strokes it typically accounts for on your card.

On the subject of actual effort - DLK’s putter LAB: position camera down the line, film stroke, review footage, resist urge to heave contents of stomach, make a plan, get to work, putt better.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

37 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

Hit a single 20 footer with the B.2 (stainless) yesterday at PGASS and was already placing it back on the rack before the ball dropped neatly into the middle. Despite the perfect lifetime average, I have zero urge to revisit that head, as it possesses all the personality of a fresh stick of Crayola sidewalk chalk at address.

My personal opinion of the B.2 aside, I’ll take this opportunity to drop the annual suggestion that you might instead consider devoting flat stick practice time commensurate with the ratio of strokes it typically accounts for on your card.

On the subject of actual effort - DLK’s putter LAB: position camera down the line, film stroke, review footage, resist urge to heave contents of stomach, make a plan, get to work, putt better.

If I’m going to practice I’m going to require a broomstick.  The putting set up is terrible on my back.

Hi, putted with this putter all season. Will continue to use until they come up with a smaller head. Seems easier to control the speed on any green speed and length of putt; feeling of wow I can actually putt. Funny, this year my putting stats are better and have not practiced. For me, the putter has made it easier to succeed. 

Putter - Cameran Squreback 2. Wedges - Jaws (52, 56, 60). Irons - Titleist 200 & 150. Hybrid - Rogue 20 degree. Driver - Titleist TRS4. Ball - Maxfli & Titleist. 

The lab 2.1 putter is deadly from 18 feet in the part that takes work is the longer putts I was not willing to work long enough on that part it is a good feeling putter and yes pricy and big but anyone who struggles with putting and willing to put the time in to learn a new putter it will help their game 

I am just so good with my Seemore elected to stick with it

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

If I’m going to practice I’m going to require a broomstick.  The putting set up is terrible on my back.

That is probably the way you ought to go.  L.A.B. is one of the few doing broomsticks.

44 minutes ago, Tom D. said:

That is probably the way you ought to go.  L.A.B. is one of the few doing broomsticks.

Yeah.  As far as not liking the way it looks, I did roll one a while back.  I’m very picky, I don’t like offset in my irons, prefer smaller club heads, etc.

It isn’t because I “want a blade”… if the club doesn’t give me confidence There is no point in me even trying to use it.

I have had time with both the B2 and the 2.1, more with the 2.1. In short I am back with a traditional putter. 

Between the 2 LAB putters I liked the 2.1 better. Speed control is an issue with the 2.1, you have to hit it harder but the 2.1 starts the ball online every time. You just have to get the speed and read right. 

All that being said putting has always been a strength and I didn’t see enough of an advantage to make me want to switch. It made the bad days better but the good days were the same. 

Ping G425 LST 10.5* - Rogue White 130

Ping G425 LST 14.5 - Rogue White 130

TaylorMade SIM 19* Tensei Pro White

Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron Modus 120

Srixon ZX7 6-AW Modus 120

Vokey SM8 54* 60* Modus 125 wedge

EvnRoll ER5B

On 9/3/2021 at 5:59 PM, Shankster said:

Yeah.  As far as not liking the way it looks, I did roll one a while back.  I’m very picky, I don’t like offset in my irons, prefer smaller club heads, etc.

It isn’t because I “want a blade”… if the club doesn’t give me confidence There is no point in me even trying to use it.

On 9/3/2021 at 5:12 PM, Tom D. said:

I bit the bullet a couple weeks ago and my DF 2.1 50" Broomstick came in today. I had to work today and then watch my kiddos after school so I was only able to putt indoors on my 10' Birdiemaker mat with my PuttOut. First putt from 5' was perfect into the PuttOut. I about freaked.

I then proceeded to make 35 putts in a row from 3' to 9' in length, varying the distances so I didn't get more than 2 or 3 at the same length. I have never had a "perfect putt" from 7' on my mat (until today).

Things I noticed with the DF 2.1 50" compared to my Ping Half Craz-E Long 50" putter:

• Setup with this thing is amazing. I ground the club behind the ball and it just sits there - exactly on the target line. My Ping always wanted to rotate open (toe back, heel forward) when you set it on the ground. I had to manipulate it back to square with my top hand and then tightly grip it to keep it square. I have not had a putter sit so stable and square since anchoring was allowed. This DF 2.1 makes alignment a breeze.
  • The weight/balance of the head is fantastic for the broomstick/long putter stroke. I could feel the head all the way back and through...and I don't have to grip with any major right hand pressure or manipulate with hands/fingers to keep the putter on line. Again, have not felt that smooth of a stroke since anchoring (and I'm not anchored!). 
  • The roll is so true. I hand-line my balls (because Titleist doesn't triple track) with a long green center line and 2 shorter blue side lines. The ball rolls so true that I can see the lines go perfectly end over end all the way into the PuttOut. Like on TV when they show the slow-mo of a pro's lined ball rolling into the cup, I could clearly see the lines going end over end. Every putt. This was not the case with my Ping.
  • Every putt I hit went into the PuttOut and rolled back to 1-2' (when I didn't get a "perfect putt"). With my Ping (an insert-faced putter), I had speed inconsistencies, especially when I didn't hit the insert square. I had no such inconsistencies with the DF 2.1 (and I didn't leave a single putt short from 8-9' - which I have done previously with the Ping).
  • My kids (6 and 8 years old) had a blast trying to make me miss after I kept bragging that I "hadn't missed yet" with my new putter. 

I'll come back to provide some on-course reviews/stats (I have Arccos) as soon as I have a chance to get it on some grass, but it was a living room hero this evening.

Edited by frazzman80

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Cobra LTDx 3 wood 14* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Callaway Apex ‘19 forged 5-PW | Edison 2.0 wedges 49*, 53*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

L.A.B. Broomstick 50" on course review.

Round 1

I arrived early to partake of the putting green and as expected, nuances such as break make putting much more difficult than the living room. Initial reactions from the putting green is that I have no issue rolling this putter, as the first half dozen or so putts all ran by the hole by a good 2-3 feet. Lag putting was a bit worse (running by 7-10'), but I hit the course and proceeded to own the first 7 holes, receiving positive strokes gained on Arccos for each (40' - 4' 2-putt on 1, 6' 1-putt (for bogey) on 2, 5' 1-putt on 3 (par), 5' 1-putt on 4 (for bogey again!!!), 54' -4' 2-putt on 5, 5' 1-putt (BIRDIE) on 6, 12' 1-putt (for par) on 7). On 8 I 2-putted (21' and 4') for par. On 9, I had a 14' that I finally got the speed right on, missed behind the hole, but tapped in. 13 putts on the front 9. 

Sadly, the back wasn't as kind. I didn't have a single 1-putt on the back and 3 putted 13 (though that one was from 63'). However, the main difference between the front and back was my proximity to the hole, as the closest putts I had were 15' (on 10, 15 and 17), 20', 25', 41', 45' and 52'. To say I was pleased with just a single 3-putt is an understatement. 

32 putts total and based on my Arccos 7 handicap, for the round I was +3.5 strokes gained putting. Unreal first round with a putter.

Round 2

I was able to play 18 today and my home course (which is super dry again suddenly here in SouthCentral Texas) and the greens were lush and super wet near the sprinklers and patchy at best where the water isn't as perfect, so speed varied from green to green so I was prepared for speed to be tricky, but that said I actually had much better distance control as a whole compared to round 1. I had neutral to positive strokes gained on the first 5 holes and caught fire on the back until the last 3 holes. Hole 1 was a 16' - 2' 2-putt, hole 2 23' - tap in 2-putt, hole 3 6' 1-putt to convert the up and down, hole 4 was a 26' - 5' comebacker 2-putt (I was so happy to not 3 putt this one as the original putt was on the wrong tier of the green and was severely downhill), on 5 I burned the edge on a 12' birdie putt (misread) and tap in for 2 putts, 6 was very similar (21' edge burner - 3' comebacker), 7 was a 27' sidewinder (10' of break easy) that went behind the hole and left a tap in 2 putt, on 8 I had a 63' for birdie that I left 2' left of the cup for an easy 2-putt, on 9 I bladed a 6-iron to the back fringe with the hole 3 paces on leading to an 80-footer which is cozied up to 5'...and promptly missed low side. Stupid 3 putt! 18 putts on the front 9, but I still felt as if I had putted really well.

On the back the putter saved my arse. 11' one putt on 10 (for bogey after driving it into a hazard), 22' - tap in par 2-putt on 11, 19' edge burner 3' comback 2-putt on 12, 46' - 4' 2 putt par on 13, 31 FOOT double breaker for birdie on 14, 7' straight up the hill for birdie on 15, 14' - 3' comeback for par on 16, and then I got cocky (and rushed due to the impending sunset) and missed a 6' for par on 17 (low side), and 5' for par on 18 (high side). 15 putts on the back.

33 putts total and based on my Arccos 7 handicap, for the round I was +2.5 strokes gained putting this round. 

For reference, over my last 25 rounds on Arccos, I'm a +0.2 strokes gained putting, so these 2 rounds are a vast improvement from the old Ping. 

I love the roll the putter puts on the ball. It sits so square on the ground when you align with the ball line it just doesn't move. It's such a balanced and repeatable stroke. I'm sold...hope this helps if you were on the fence to try one.

Currently in the bag:

• 1 year later...
On 9/17/2021 at 8:10 PM, frazzman80 said:

L.A.B. Broomstick 50" on course review.

Round 1

I arrived early to partake of the putting green and as expected, nuances such as break make putting much more difficult than the living room. Initial reactions from the putting green is that I have no issue rolling this putter, as the first half dozen or so putts all ran by the hole by a good 2-3 feet. Lag putting was a bit worse (running by 7-10'), but I hit the course and proceeded to own the first 7 holes, receiving positive strokes gained on Arccos for each (40' - 4' 2-putt on 1, 6' 1-putt (for bogey) on 2, 5' 1-putt on 3 (par), 5' 1-putt on 4 (for bogey again!!!), 54' -4' 2-putt on 5, 5' 1-putt (BIRDIE) on 6, 12' 1-putt (for par) on 7). On 8 I 2-putted (21' and 4') for par. On 9, I had a 14' that I finally got the speed right on, missed behind the hole, but tapped in. 13 putts on the front 9. 

Sadly, the back wasn't as kind. I didn't have a single 1-putt on the back and 3 putted 13 (though that one was from 63'). However, the main difference between the front and back was my proximity to the hole, as the closest putts I had were 15' (on 10, 15 and 17), 20', 25', 41', 45' and 52'. To say I was pleased with just a single 3-putt is an understatement. 

32 putts total and based on my Arccos 7 handicap, for the round I was +3.5 strokes gained putting. Unreal first round with a putter.

Round 2

I was able to play 18 today and my home course (which is super dry again suddenly here in SouthCentral Texas) and the greens were lush and super wet near the sprinklers and patchy at best where the water isn't as perfect, so speed varied from green to green so I was prepared for speed to be tricky, but that said I actually had much better distance control as a whole compared to round 1. I had neutral to positive strokes gained on the first 5 holes and caught fire on the back until the last 3 holes. Hole 1 was a 16' - 2' 2-putt, hole 2 23' - tap in 2-putt, hole 3 6' 1-putt to convert the up and down, hole 4 was a 26' - 5' comebacker 2-putt (I was so happy to not 3 putt this one as the original putt was on the wrong tier of the green and was severely downhill), on 5 I burned the edge on a 12' birdie putt (misread) and tap in for 2 putts, 6 was very similar (21' edge burner - 3' comebacker), 7 was a 27' sidewinder (10' of break easy) that went behind the hole and left a tap in 2 putt, on 8 I had a 63' for birdie that I left 2' left of the cup for an easy 2-putt, on 9 I bladed a 6-iron to the back fringe with the hole 3 paces on leading to an 80-footer which is cozied up to 5'...and promptly missed low side. Stupid 3 putt! 18 putts on the front 9, but I still felt as if I had putted really well.

On the back the putter saved my arse. 11' one putt on 10 (for bogey after driving it into a hazard), 22' - tap in par 2-putt on 11, 19' edge burner 3' comback 2-putt on 12, 46' - 4' 2 putt par on 13, 31 FOOT double breaker for birdie on 14, 7' straight up the hill for birdie on 15, 14' - 3' comeback for par on 16, and then I got cocky (and rushed due to the impending sunset) and missed a 6' for par on 17 (low side), and 5' for par on 18 (high side). 15 putts on the back.

33 putts total and based on my Arccos 7 handicap, for the round I was +2.5 strokes gained putting this round. 

For reference, over my last 25 rounds on Arccos, I'm a +0.2 strokes gained putting, so these 2 rounds are a vast improvement from the old Ping. 

I love the roll the putter puts on the ball. It sits so square on the ground when you align with the ball line it just doesn't move. It's such a balanced and repeatable stroke. I'm sold...hope this helps if you were on the fence to try one.

I wanted to give everyone a LAB Broomstick update:

18 months later and many many putts later this putter is never leaving the bag. It's just not.

My handicap is down to 5.4 and my Arccos has me at 1.4 SG putting compared to a 5 HC index and 1.6 SG putting compared to a 6 HC index. 

I have positive SG metrics in every distance that Arccos lists including make percentages of 100% 0-2', 83% 3-5' and 46% 6-9'. It's just absolutely fantastic from close in. 

My average putts per round is down to 32.5 and I put in an 83-footer for birdie on Sunday (after a very poor 58* wedge for my 3rd shot on a par 5). 

If you are on the fence about LAB, don't be...go for it.

Currently in the bag:

Love the tech behind it, but I’m just not a fan of CS putters. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the same putter for 15 years and i think i am ready to try out the link.1. The designs were always so aggressive but the link.1 seems up my alley. 

Edited by jonescuatro

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower Carbon 9* Project X HZRDUS Black RDX 70G

3 Wood: :titleist-small: 915F 15* Aldila Tour Green ATX 85 TX 

Irons: :titleist-small: AP1 S300 True Temper 3-P

Wedges: :vokey-small: 46*-10F - 52*-08F - 56*-12D

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot #7

Ball: :titleist-small: AVX

3 minutes ago, jonescuatro said:

I've had the same putter for 15 years and i think i am ready to try out the link.1. The designs were always so aggressive but the link.1 seems up my alley. 

If I had to choose between the three, I’d go Mezz (since I like that style mallet), but the Link is def an interesting design / concept (especially if you like blades). Let us know if you end up pulling the trigger!

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym