GolfSpy MPR

2020 Most Wanted Driver: Now with comparisons to previous years!

Our Sponsors

🤯

• Like 3

That's awesome.  Will they be able to fit the same shaft in each of them as well or will it only be stock shafts offered at the time of the initial driver release 1-5 years ago?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bucky CC said:

That's awesome.  Will they be able to fit the same shaft in each of them as well or will it only be stock shafts offered at the time of the initial driver release 1-5 years ago?

I would guess (I have no inside info here) that they would follow their standard practice: drivers are tested with stock shafts.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I would guess (I have no inside info here) that they would follow their standard practice: drivers are tested with stock shafts.

That was my assumption as well.  Just thought it may be tougher for them to gather all of the stock options for the clubs that are 4-5 years old as some of those shafts are no longer offered.  I guess I'm thinking of how difficult it would be for an average person to do it; not a state of the art testing/fitting studio like MGS.  No matter what this will be awesome.

• Like 2

This is probably a very good thing for us and not so good for the OEM's. It will be interesting when a driver from 3-5 years ago beats the latest and greatest. 🤪

Would results such as that deter someone from not spending ~$500 for the newest driver when a 3-year old model that now can be bought for $89 beats it? Probably not. But it sure might cause a few to pause and think about it. I certainly would.

• Like 7

This is really good news!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

This is probably a very good thing for us and not so good for the OEM's. It will be interesting when a driver from 3-5 years ago beats the latest and greatest. 🤪

Would results such as that deter someone from not spending ~$500 for the newest driver when a 3-year old model that now can be bought for $89 beats it? Probably not not. But it sure might cause to few to pause and think about it. I certainly would.

The TXG guys have been doing videos recently comparing the most recent OEM drivers vs. their models from 2016 (or thereabouts). In the one I watched, the King LTD easily held its own against the SpeedZone.

The problem for some guys is this: yep, you can pick up the LTD from >$100 on eBay. But there aren't a lot of places where you can get it custom-fitted. For those who fit themselves, the idea that there is older, cheaper stuff that's the equal of what's out now is good news. For the guy who wants a professional fitting, that's likely the something that's a big part of the cost of buying new.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Bucky CC said:

Not sure if the mgs testing uses adapters similar to how CC or TXG are setup. If not the only drivers I’m aware of that have changed adapter is ping with the g410. They could use the same model shaft in the g400 and previous models as in the g410 but it would be the exact same shaft

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

In my time at MyGolfSpy (both as a member and a moderator), I think the request I've seen most often is to compare this year's Most Wanted Driver against previous year's winners. Until now, this wasn't something a reader could do by comparing the results pages, because differing years' tests were compiled with different testers and sometimes with tweaks in methodologies. Thus, as strokes gained number from 2019 couldn't be compared straight up to the same number from 2018.

UNTIL THIS YEAR!

That's a big announcement and it's going to be very interesting to see the outcome.

That's great to hear. Some of us are more budget constrained then other. Also are they planning to just do the overall winner or will they plan to do like Best value, best distance & most forgiving? Obviously this expands the driver count immensely but just curious if you happen to know.

I don’t have any inside information but I don’t see another driver test on the schedule an don’t believe it will be a retest with actual testers. My guess is that the data analytics team believes they can compare data across the years and make it relevant.

Not sure if the mgs testing uses adapters similar to how CC or TXG are setup.

They do not use adapters;
Stock setups from the manufacturer.
  • Like 5

I'm excited to see these results - cool!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PlaidJacket said:

Would results such as that deter someone from not spending ~$500 for the newest driver when a 3-year old model that now can be bought for $89 beats it? Probably not not. But it sure might cause to few to pause and think about it. I certainly would.

This may be as revealing (and unwelcome) to the OEM's as the ball test from last year was to the ball manufacturers. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

The TXG guys have been doing videos recently comparing the most recent OEM drivers vs. their models from 2016 (or thereabouts). In the one I watched, the King LTD easily held its own against the SpeedZone.

The problem for some guys is this: yep, you can pick up the LTD from >$100 on eBay. But there aren't a lot of places where you can get it custom-fitted. For those who fit themselves, the idea that there is older, cheaper stuff that's the equal of what's out now is good news. For the guy who wants a professional fitting, that's likely the something that's a big part of the cost of buying new.

... While this is admittedly fun and I always love reading the results, personal playing experience should always be the determening factor. When the LTD was released, it was so technically advanced and supposed to revolutionize drivers, especially for better players. I picked one up along with a Fly Z and did quite a bit of head to head testing. When hit perfectly, the LTD was longer by a good 5-10yds but when missing the sweet spot the Fly Z was longer and much more accurate. Talking with the Engineers at Cobra, almost every single one of them played the Fly Z with an 18gm weight at a shorter than standard length and they called it their "secret weapon fairway finder". The lone exception was a recent DI college golfer that played the LTD and felt it was the best driver he had ever played.

... I really wanted to play the LTD and stuck with it longer than I should have when the results were pretty clear, before finally giving in to the Fly Z, which I still think might be the best driver ever made for the widest range of players. My son is still playing my old Fly Z and carries it 280+. I put a Tensei Blue L Flex in my other Fly Z and my wife picked up 15 yards and both of them have trusted my equipment suggestions but won't even let me have them demo another driver. So again, I imagine the results will be fun and always interesting but hitting a driver on a LM indoors bears very little resemblance to actually playing one in a round of golf. Something I learned long ago when just killing drivers on a LM after standing in one spot and grooving a swing when a bad shot had zero consequences compared to hitting it once off a tee during a round where direction and distance counts for every swing. 

• Like 5

Rick S has on You Tube 5 year tests of

Ping https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOVYMHhF7So&t=160s

Taylor Made https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DnttqbxL-o&t=934s

Titleist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHhy4M_Mm1I&t=5s

for a few years now and to me very little difference in performance as many have surmised.

Just pick a pretty one!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chisag said:

but hitting a driver on a LM indoors bears very little resemblance to actually playing one in a round of golf.

I just love it when people speak the truth. Amen brother.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chisag said:

but hitting a driver on a LM indoors bears very little resemblance to actually playing one in a round of golf.

I just love it when people speak the truth. Amen brother.

------------------------

You could say the same thing about being outdoor on a driving range.  If I miss big left or big right who cares - I just put another one on the tee and try again.

Unless there is something punitive to missing then it's basically batting practice....

• Like 5

I'd have loved to see the past winners added to the mix to see how they compare to ALL new drivers.  Cool either way though 🙂

Finally! These will be very interesting results, and hopefully will debunk most marketing hype about year over year gains.