TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Most Wanted Driver: Now with comparisons to previous years!

GolfSpy MPR

This is going to be great.  I cant wait to see if it ends up looking the way I think it will.

:titelist-small: 917 D2 9.5 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g 6.5
:taylormade-small: M2 (2017) 3W 17.5 -  
:ping-small: G 4H 22 - 
:titelist-small: 735cm 3 - PW - KBS Tour Black Nickel 115g ( R )
:vokey-small: SM4 Tour Chrome 52˚- 8˚ | 56˚- 8˚ | 60˚- 7˚ - True Temper Dynamic Gold ( W )
:cameron-small: California Coronado
:Snell: 
MTB-X
:Arccos:

MGS has reported before that the low level fruit in gains have already been eaten up, and years ago. I would imagine that we'll definitely see some incremental gains in certain product lines, but just like in a fitting - do I want to pay an extra $300 for +2 yds and relatively similar dispersion of a properly fitted stock shaft? Do I want to pay $500 for a new driver when I can find similar results for $200?

It would be an amazing thing to be able to fit a previous year's model, but unless you can do that, to me it's still worth getting properly fitted on a new model and hanging on to it for years.

:titelist-small: TS4, 9.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 6.5TX
:cleveland-small: Launcher 3W, 15, Fujikara Gold X-Stiff
:callaway-small: Apex Pro 19 4-W, Dynamic Gold X100
:vokey-small: SM6 56
:vokey-small: SM7 50, 52, 60
:scotty-small: Circa 62 No. 2
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

• 2 weeks later...

Did I miss it and these results were posted already? The original post was from Feb. 26th and the 2020 Driver results were posted on March 21st but I don't see any of the previous year winners included there so I assume this is going to be posted separately?? 

6 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

Did I miss it and these results were posted already? The original post was from Feb. 26th and the 2020 Driver results were posted on March 21st but I don't see any of the previous year winners included there so I assume this is going to be posted separately?? 

The HQ and Test Facility Is in VIrginia, which has been closed since the middle of March.   

So all Most Wanted testing came to a stop. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 3/31/2020 at 8:48 AM, JonMUSC08 said:

This data will definitely ruffle some feathers in the industry. More so hurt current sales when people realize there are only 5yd gains on drivers costing $200+ more.

I guess it will depend on how many people read the article when it is released....

5 yards gain is significant for some and with the upgrade, I’ve seen YouTube videos where DJ has mentioned gaining an extra 3 yards is significant for him. What so am my forget is that there are buyers that have older equipment that upgrade at some point so while someone who bought a 2019 driver may not be in the market for a new one in 2020 there are customer who have drivers that are more than 3 years old and sometimes much older who are now ready to buy and they will see an improvement.

also not every improvement comes in distance or speed numbers. Improvements in standard deviation are as important in judging a release as is the distance/speed gains. Plus there are gains to be made in improved dispersion changes in face design and material. Callaway has been able to use AI to design a face that matches best with each model of the Mavrik release which have different head shapes and designs to offer different playing characteristics.

Lastly there are people that like having new and shiny even if there is no performance benefit just because they prefer the looks of something new.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

8 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

The HQ and Test Facility Is in VIrginia, which has been closed since the middle of March.   

So all Most Wanted testing came to a stop. 

That's understandable, thanks for the update. Better to keep everyone safe.

I just figured that they would have tested the previous years clubs at the same time as all of this years models and that maybe it was posted somewhere that I couldn't find it. 

I think there will be some upset people that believe the hype machine of every year clubs get better.  Uh Ohhhhh.  Time to find out that a new driver each year typically doesn't uphold to a companies claim of longer, faster and straighter.  This will be great!

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I think there will be some upset people that believe the hype machine of every year clubs get better.  Uh Ohhhhh.  Time to find out that a new driver each year typically doesn't uphold to a companies claim of longer, faster and straighter.  This will be great!

Clubs do get better every year. It just may not be in a way that benefits you or that you believe is better. Regarding the claims, I am sure they are accurate, but the testing protocol may not be relevant to the golfer.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

20 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

That's understandable, thanks for the update. Better to keep everyone safe.

I just figured that they would have tested the previous years clubs at the same time as all of this years models and that maybe it was posted somewhere that I couldn't find it. 

I believe the goal was to finish all the 2020 testing first, find out the winner for that.  While all the data for that was being done, the testers has moved on to the putter testing which took them right up to order to close.  NO telling what this shutdown has done to the overall testing, obviously pushed it was back for mallet putters and irons.   

So it could be even longer before we see the 2020 vs previous winners.   That's nothing official, just my guess.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Just now, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I believe the goal was to finish all the 2020 testing first, find out the winner for that.  While all the data for that was being done, the testers has moved on to the putter testing which took them right up to order to close.  NO telling what this shutdown has done to the overall testing, obviously pushed it was back for mallet putters and irons.   

So it could be even longer before we see the 2020 vs previous winners.   That's nothing official, just my guess.

Yup.  They said on the podcast that they were going to wait until the 2020 Most Wanted was decided and then start the Winners Testing

Yep, after driver testing while they were generating results we started putters. Blade putters was completed and I believe I was the only person through mallet. When I finished mallet Harry and I were talking about setting up times to start the new driver test.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Clubs do get better every year. It just may not be in a way that benefits you or that you believe is better. Regarding the claims, I am sure they are accurate, but the testing protocol may not be relevant to the golfer.

Yes, but what I am talking about is every company out there leads us or wants us to believe that we will be hitting the ball MUCH further and straighter every year.  Yes, if you own driver X and hit it 275 yards, the company for driver X now comes out with a new and shiny driver Y.  They want you to believe you will hit driver Y 10 yards further.  In most cases, you may only gain a yard or two.  Not worth spending $5-$600 on it. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

... cnosil is absolutely correct. All clubs and especially drivers get better every single year. The fly in the ointment is that increase in performance or technology may be 1.3% better. Even then the improvement could be in an area that not only doesn't provide increased performance for your swing, it may actually be worse for you than the driver you are playing. More spin or less spin for example that helps some but hurts others. I know this has been beat to death but I am driving a 2018 Genesis G80. Best car I have ever owned and loved driving back and forth from Chicago to Orlando and Phoenix. So is the 2019 and 2020 G80 and improvement compared to my 2018 G80? Of course they are, but just little things that of course are not worth it for me to "upgrade" as that would be silly both economically as well as practically. 

... Take Cobra as an example since I have played most of their drivers the last 10 years. Playing the Fly Z, there was absolutely no need to upgrade to the F6, F7 and even arguably the F8. For my swing the F6 was no better that the FZ and the FZ sounded/felt better. For me the F7 was not as good as my FZ so I played out for a 3rd year. Technically better? Yes but not for my swing. The F8 was an improvement enough for me to make the change, but even then only by a little and I could have played my FZ and performance would still be very close. Now the F9 was technically better and provided enough improved performance that I would recommend all golfers playing the FZ to demo and potentially upgrade. That falls right in line with the 5 year old driver is most likely leaving some performance on the table compared to a new driver. And even then, for some the performance increase is not enough to change or spend the money, while for others it is a no brainer upgrade.

... And a point that certainly applies to many MSG members that skew a little older. I am 67 years old and don't know how many years of high quality golf I have left in the tank. At this point in my life I can afford the "upgrades" and am willing to pick up a new driver that is only 2% better  in performance if it sounds, feels and looks better. Heck, even if performance is equal but it looks, sounds or feels better I would probably make the change. In the not too distant future as my drives get shorter, that will no longer be the case. But if I were 40 years old, I am not gonna make a change for a 2% increase but will wait for something comes along that is obviously better. In a perfect world I would only have new clubs offered when there is an obvious improvement and that could be one year or 4 years. But that is not the golf world we live in, although Covid might mean the greed of a new product every single year, whether it is obviously an improvement or not, may have to wait a year or 2 because there just isn't a market for new clubs as income has changed for many. And lastly equipment is a hobby for a lotof us. We enjoy playing new and different equipment for fun, not because we think our performance will improve. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

27 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Yes, but what I am talking about is every company out there leads us or wants us to believe that we will be hitting the ball MUCH further and straighter every year.  Yes, if you own driver X and hit it 275 yards, the company for driver X now comes out with a new and shiny driver Y.  They want you to believe you will hit driver Y 10 yards further.  In most cases, you may only gain a yard or two.  Not worth spending $5-$600 on it. 

Most don’t claim how far you will hit it further because that’s very player dependent and also marketing teams are careful what they put out because of legal issues. If you look at the stud that gets put out they will say things along the lines of driver y in our testing show an increase of Z mph more ball speed compared to driver X and things along those lines. Companies like TM for example use their pros, robots and other golfers to gather statistics and get feedback on thee design, etc.

Whether something is worth whatever amount of money is also payer dependent. You personally might not see value in spending $500 for 2 yards while someone thinks 2 yards and something new is worth. But others might see more than 2 yards. There’s a new member here in the sim thread who saw a decrease in speed/distance from m5 to sim. Everybody’s is experience is different and what one is willing to pay and for whatever reason is their choice and it’s not for anyone to say they are right or wrong for spending that money.

But as I and others like @PMookie have talked about distance/speed isn’t the only areas to look at for improvement. Dispersion, consistency in numbers by looking at standard deviation, sound, feel, looks are part of the equation 

Also companies are marketing to the consumers that haven’t upgrade in couple years or more. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Don't disagree with you.  All products are marketed this way;  food,  clothing, cars,  cleaners, etc.    You responsibility as a consumer is to assess if that improvement is worth it for you.  That is also part of what MGS tries to do.  

2 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

... I keep reading stuff like this and I honestly don't know where it comes from. I just checked TaylorMade, Callaway and Cobra websites and didn't see anything about yards or even percentage increases. Just the typical "farther, faster, straighter" that has been in every new driver description for as long as I have been playing golf. 

4 hours ago, chisag said:

... cnosil is absolutely correct. All clubs and especially drivers get better every single year. The fly in the ointment is that increase in performance or technology may be 1.3% better. Even then the improvement could be in an area that not only doesn't provide increased performance for your swing, it may actually be worse for you than the driver you are playing. More spin or less spin for example that helps some but hurts others. I know this has been beat to death but I am driving a 2018 Genesis G80. Best car I have ever owned and loved driving back and forth from Chicago to Orlando and Phoenix. So is the 2019 and 2020 G80 and improvement compared to my 2018 G80? Of course they are, but just little things that of course are not worth it for me to "upgrade" as that would be silly both economically as well as practically. 

... Take Cobra as an example since I have played most of their drivers the last 10 years. Playing the Fly Z, there was absolutely no need to upgrade to the F6, F7 and even arguably the F8. For my swing the F6 was no better that the FZ and the FZ sounded/felt better. For me the F7 was not as good as my FZ so I played out for a 3rd year. Technically better? Yes but not for my swing. The F8 was an improvement enough for me to make the change, but even then only by a little and I could have played my FZ and performance would still be very close. Now the F9 was technically better and provided enough improved performance that I would recommend all golfers playing the FZ to demo and potentially upgrade. That falls right in line with the 5 year old driver is most likely leaving some performance on the table compared to a new driver. And even then, for some the performance increase is not enough to change or spend the money, while for others it is a no brainer upgrade.

... And a point that certainly applies to many MSG members that skew a little older. I am 67 years old and don't know how many years of high quality golf I have left in the tank. At this point in my life I can afford the "upgrades" and am willing to pick up a new driver that is only 2% better  in performance if it sounds, feels and looks better. Heck, even if performance is equal but it looks, sounds or feels better I would probably make the change. In the not too distant future as my drives get shorter, that will no longer be the case. But if I were 40 years old, I am not gonna make a change for a 2% increase but will wait for something comes along that is obviously better. In a perfect world I would only have new clubs offered when there is an obvious improvement and that could be one year or 4 years. But that is not the golf world we live in, although Covid might mean the greed of a new product every single year, whether it is obviously an improvement or not, may have to wait a year or 2 because there just isn't a market for new clubs as income has changed for many. And lastly equipment is a hobby for a lotof us. We enjoy playing new and different equipment for fun, not because we think our performance will improve. 

I actually just picked up the M5 because I thought it looks/sounds/feels better than my old G30.  I was just ready for a change.  At my fitting it was showing me picking up about 7-8 yards of carry. and 10-12 yards total.  We will see if that's true as the G30 was a good fit for me to start.  Looks like I was launching the M5 slightly higher with slightly less spin.  Even if it ends up being the same distance I'm happy to change it up for the other factors at this point.  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

10 hours ago, chisag said:

... I keep reading stuff like this and I honestly don't know where it comes from. I just checked TaylorMade, Callaway and Cobra websites and didn't see anything about yards or even percentage increases. Just the typical "farther, faster, straighter" that has been in every new driver description for as long as I have been playing golf. 

I don’t think any specifics have been said since maybe the rocketballs 13 yards claims.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

5 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

I don’t think any specifics have been said since maybe the rocketballs 13 yards claims.

Iirc Callaway did it around that time with one of their iron sets claiming to be 2 clubs longer. After some legal mumbo jumbo they pulled those adds and then added fine print to say 2 clubs longer than their clubs, I don’t recall if trey listed the model they compared them too. That was the last time outside of the 17 or the following years +17 from TM. Interesting thing is the guys at TM behind those claims went other places including callaway 

49 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Iirc Callaway did it around that time with one of their iron sets claiming to be 2 clubs longer. After some legal mumbo jumbo they pulled those adds and then added fine print to say 2 clubs longer than their clubs, I don’t recall if trey listed the model they compared them too. That was the last time outside of the 17 or the following years +17 from TM. Interesting thing is the guys at TM behind those claims went other places including callaway 

It was against the RAZR HL, Which was older, weaker lofted and an inch to almost 3/4 of an inch shorter 

https://mygolfspy.com/callaway-big-bertha-irons/

24 minutes ago, jlukes said:

It was against the RAZR HL, Which was older, weaker lofted and an inch to almost 3/4 of an inch shorter 

https://mygolfspy.com/callaway-big-bertha-irons/

2014 was about a year or so after I get into learning more about clubs and also about a year after Harry went over to Callaway iirc which would be a year or two after the 17 yard claims from TM. 

I feel like driver tech peaked with the Ping G400, but maybe that's just my opinion..after that, it's just getting a good shaft, and working on your swing

You maybe right, I have the G410 and it’s not going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Oh wow! Awesome. I can't wait to see this!

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Might get to start this soon.  Got an email that asked this:

COVID-19 MyGolfSpy Testing

This Survey is to collect data on whether you would be comfortable testing at MyGolfSpy during the Pandemic

I am guessing that finishing mallets and starting the winner comparison will be the first set of tests. 

23 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Might get to start this soon.  Got an email that asked this:

COVID-19 MyGolfSpy Testing

This Survey is to collect data on whether you would be comfortable testing at MyGolfSpy during the Pandemic

I am guessing that finishing mallets and starting the winner comparison will be the first set of tests. 

... Awesome, I know you have been missing the testing!

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Awesome, I know you have been missing the testing!

I have.   They laid out some ground rules about distancing, bringing your own gloves, masks, and the hardest one.....no touching any other equipment.   

On 2/26/2020 at 11:30 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

...The problem for some guys is this: yep, you can pick up the LTD from >$100 on eBay. But there aren't a lot of places where you can get it custom-fitted. For those who fit themselves, the idea that there is older, cheaper stuff that's the equal of what's out now is good news. For the guy who wants a professional fitting, that's likely the something that's a big part of the cost of buying new.

Agreed! Matt recently did a TXG fitting of his old Callaway BB Alpha driver and found that it could perform very well using a seriously upgraded shaft.  But they concluded that no one in their right mind would install a $500 shaft on a 4 or 5-year-old head. That’s as close to a recommendation I would ever take from an individual YouTuber. I think it was Adam who said that buying golf equipment based upon the results of any individual YouTube tester is harming your own game (I’m sure I’m paraphrasing at best). That said, I also enjoy all of the TXG tests (and some of Crossfield’s & Finch’s as well). But purely for entertainment value, not club selection value.

It will be very interesting to see the results of MGS’s old vs new test. All of that data that MGS brings to their reports takes a lot of time, but makes it far more usable than anything else available on the web or in the marketplace.

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X w/ LINQ M40X 6F3 Shaft, or Motore X F35R, or Newton 3-Dot

:srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft

:srixon-small: ZX MK II 23 deg Hybrid Iron

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts

:titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1 Putter w/Stroke Lab shaft or :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice

1 hour ago, MIgregb said:

Agreed! Matt recently did a TXG fitting of his old Callaway BB Alpha driver and found that it could perform very well using a seriously upgraded shaft.  But they concluded that no one in their right mind would install a $500 shaft on a 4 or 5-year-old head. That’s as close to a recommendation I would ever take from an individual YouTuber. I think it was Adam who said that buying golf equipment based upon the results of any individual YouTube tester is harming your own game (I’m sure I’m paraphrasing at best). That said, I also enjoy all of the TXG tests (and some of Crossfield’s & Finch’s as well). But purely for entertainment value, not club selection value.

It will be very interesting to see the results of MGS’s old vs new test. All of that data that MGS brings to their reports takes a lot of time, but makes it far more usable than anything else available on the web or in the marketplace.

Im the same exact way the youtube videos are great for generic information on how a since user tested. I am a researcher (to my wife's frustration) and will watch dozens of different reviews to get an idea of opinions prior to testing it myself. I really like TXG guys though since Ian has so much info and does his best to be unbiased by explaining this is who this club/shaft/setting is good for rather then this is the "Good" vs "Bad" 

I look forward to this test ass well to see/expose what tech really has changed over the years and see what has actually benefited the golfers.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver