Jump to content
GolfSpy MPR

2020 Most Wanted Driver: Now with comparisons to previous years!

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

I believe the goal was to finish all the 2020 testing first, find out the winner for that.  While all the data for that was being done, the testers has moved on to the putter testing which took them right up to order to close.  NO telling what this shutdown has done to the overall testing, obviously pushed it was back for mallet putters and irons.   
So it could be even longer before we see the 2020 vs previous winners.   That's nothing official, just my guess.

Yep, after driver testing while they were generating results we started putters. Blade putters was completed and I believe I was the only person through mallet. When I finished mallet Harry and I were talking about setting up times to start the new driver test.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cnosil said:


Clubs do get better every year. It just may not be in a way that benefits you or that you believe is better. Regarding the claims, I am sure they are accurate, but the testing protocol may not be relevant to the golfer.

Yes, but what I am talking about is every company out there leads us or wants us to believe that we will be hitting the ball MUCH further and straighter every year.  Yes, if you own driver X and hit it 275 yards, the company for driver X now comes out with a new and shiny driver Y.  They want you to believe you will hit driver Y 10 yards further.  In most cases, you may only gain a yard or two.  Not worth spending $5-$600 on it. 

  • Like 1

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

3 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  5-PW :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged w/ Modus 120 xstiff

Wedges:   :titelist-small: SM6 56* F grind, 52* M grind

Putter:  :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I think there will be some upset people that believe the hype machine of every year clubs get better.  Uh Ohhhhh.  Time to find out that a new driver each year typically doesn't uphold to a companies claim of longer, faster and straighter.  This will be great!

 

... cnosil is absolutely correct. All clubs and especially drivers get better every single year. The fly in the ointment is that increase in performance or technology may be 1.3% better. Even then the improvement could be in an area that not only doesn't provide increased performance for your swing, it may actually be worse for you than the driver you are playing. More spin or less spin for example that helps some but hurts others. I know this has been beat to death but I am driving a 2018 Genesis G80. Best car I have ever owned and loved driving back and forth from Chicago to Orlando and Phoenix. So is the 2019 and 2020 G80 and improvement compared to my 2018 G80? Of course they are, but just little things that of course are not worth it for me to "upgrade" as that would be silly both economically as well as practically. 

... Take Cobra as an example since I have played most of their drivers the last 10 years. Playing the Fly Z, there was absolutely no need to upgrade to the F6, F7 and even arguably the F8. For my swing the F6 was no better that the FZ and the FZ sounded/felt better. For me the F7 was not as good as my FZ so I played out for a 3rd year. Technically better? Yes but not for my swing. The F8 was an improvement enough for me to make the change, but even then only by a little and I could have played my FZ and performance would still be very close. Now the F9 was technically better and provided enough improved performance that I would recommend all golfers playing the FZ to demo and potentially upgrade. That falls right in line with the 5 year old driver is most likely leaving some performance on the table compared to a new driver. And even then, for some the performance increase is not enough to change or spend the money, while for others it is a no brainer upgrade.

... And a point that certainly applies to many MSG members that skew a little older. I am 67 years old and don't know how many years of high quality golf I have left in the tank. At this point in my life I can afford the "upgrades" and am willing to pick up a new driver that is only 2% better  in performance if it sounds, feels and looks better. Heck, even if performance is equal but it looks, sounds or feels better I would probably make the change. In the not too distant future as my drives get shorter, that will no longer be the case. But if I were 40 years old, I am not gonna make a change for a 2% increase but will wait for something comes along that is obviously better. In a perfect world I would only have new clubs offered when there is an obvious improvement and that could be one year or 4 years. But that is not the golf world we live in, although Covid might mean the greed of a new product every single year, whether it is obviously an improvement or not, may have to wait a year or 2 because there just isn't a market for new clubs as income has changed for many. And lastly equipment is a hobby for a lotof us. We enjoy playing new and different equipment for fun, not because we think our performance will improve. 

  • Like 5

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Yes, but what I am talking about is every company out there leads us or wants us to believe that we will be hitting the ball MUCH further and straighter every year.  Yes, if you own driver X and hit it 275 yards, the company for driver X now comes out with a new and shiny driver Y.  They want you to believe you will hit driver Y 10 yards further.  In most cases, you may only gain a yard or two.  Not worth spending $5-$600 on it. 

Most don’t claim how far you will hit it further because that’s very player dependent and also marketing teams are careful what they put out because of legal issues. If you look at the stud that gets put out they will say things along the lines of driver y in our testing show an increase of Z mph more ball speed compared to driver X and things along those lines. Companies like TM for example use their pros, robots and other golfers to gather statistics and get feedback on thee design, etc.

Whether something is worth whatever amount of money is also payer dependent. You personally might not see value in spending $500 for 2 yards while someone thinks 2 yards and something new is worth. But others might see more than 2 yards. There’s a new member here in the sim thread who saw a decrease in speed/distance from m5 to sim. Everybody’s is experience is different and what one is willing to pay and for whatever reason is their choice and it’s not for anyone to say they are right or wrong for spending that money.

But as I and others like @PMookie have talked about distance/speed isn’t the only areas to look at for improvement. Dispersion, consistency in numbers by looking at standard deviation, sound, feel, looks are part of the equation 

Also companies are marketing to the consumers that haven’t upgrade in couple years or more. 

  • Like 2

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Yes, but what I am talking about is every company out there leads us or wants us to believe that we will be hitting the ball MUCH further and straighter every year.  Yes, if you own driver X and hit it 275 yards, the company for driver X now comes out with a new and shiny driver Y.  They want you to believe you will hit driver Y 10 yards further.  In most cases, you may only gain a yard or two.  Not worth spending $5-$600 on it. 

Don't disagree with you.  All products are marketed this way;  food,  clothing, cars,  cleaners, etc.    You responsibility as a consumer is to assess if that improvement is worth it for you.  That is also part of what MGS tries to do.  

  • Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Yes, but what I am talking about is every company out there leads us or wants us to believe that we will be hitting the ball MUCH further and straighter every year.  Yes, if you own driver X and hit it 275 yards, the company for driver X now comes out with a new and shiny driver Y.  They want you to believe you will hit driver Y 10 yards further.  In most cases, you may only gain a yard or two.  Not worth spending $5-$600 on it. 

 

... I keep reading stuff like this and I honestly don't know where it comes from. I just checked TaylorMade, Callaway and Cobra websites and didn't see anything about yards or even percentage increases. Just the typical "farther, faster, straighter" that has been in every new driver description for as long as I have been playing golf. 

  • Like 4

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chisag said:

 

... cnosil is absolutely correct. All clubs and especially drivers get better every single year. The fly in the ointment is that increase in performance or technology may be 1.3% better. Even then the improvement could be in an area that not only doesn't provide increased performance for your swing, it may actually be worse for you than the driver you are playing. More spin or less spin for example that helps some but hurts others. I know this has been beat to death but I am driving a 2018 Genesis G80. Best car I have ever owned and loved driving back and forth from Chicago to Orlando and Phoenix. So is the 2019 and 2020 G80 and improvement compared to my 2018 G80? Of course they are, but just little things that of course are not worth it for me to "upgrade" as that would be silly both economically as well as practically. 

... Take Cobra as an example since I have played most of their drivers the last 10 years. Playing the Fly Z, there was absolutely no need to upgrade to the F6, F7 and even arguably the F8. For my swing the F6 was no better that the FZ and the FZ sounded/felt better. For me the F7 was not as good as my FZ so I played out for a 3rd year. Technically better? Yes but not for my swing. The F8 was an improvement enough for me to make the change, but even then only by a little and I could have played my FZ and performance would still be very close. Now the F9 was technically better and provided enough improved performance that I would recommend all golfers playing the FZ to demo and potentially upgrade. That falls right in line with the 5 year old driver is most likely leaving some performance on the table compared to a new driver. And even then, for some the performance increase is not enough to change or spend the money, while for others it is a no brainer upgrade.

... And a point that certainly applies to many MSG members that skew a little older. I am 67 years old and don't know how many years of high quality golf I have left in the tank. At this point in my life I can afford the "upgrades" and am willing to pick up a new driver that is only 2% better  in performance if it sounds, feels and looks better. Heck, even if performance is equal but it looks, sounds or feels better I would probably make the change. In the not too distant future as my drives get shorter, that will no longer be the case. But if I were 40 years old, I am not gonna make a change for a 2% increase but will wait for something comes along that is obviously better. In a perfect world I would only have new clubs offered when there is an obvious improvement and that could be one year or 4 years. But that is not the golf world we live in, although Covid might mean the greed of a new product every single year, whether it is obviously an improvement or not, may have to wait a year or 2 because there just isn't a market for new clubs as income has changed for many. And lastly equipment is a hobby for a lotof us. We enjoy playing new and different equipment for fun, not because we think our performance will improve. 

I actually just picked up the M5 because I thought it looks/sounds/feels better than my old G30.  I was just ready for a change.  At my fitting it was showing me picking up about 7-8 yards of carry. and 10-12 yards total.  We will see if that's true as the G30 was a good fit for me to start.  Looks like I was launching the M5 slightly higher with slightly less spin.  Even if it ends up being the same distance I'm happy to change it up for the other factors at this point.  


#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4:  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Tensei Pro White 6X

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

 :EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, chisag said:

 

... I keep reading stuff like this and I honestly don't know where it comes from. I just checked TaylorMade, Callaway and Cobra websites and didn't see anything about yards or even percentage increases. Just the typical "farther, faster, straighter" that has been in every new driver description for as long as I have been playing golf. 

I don’t think any specifics have been said since maybe the rocketballs 13 yards claims.


Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

I don’t think any specifics have been said since maybe the rocketballs 13 yards claims.

Iirc Callaway did it around that time with one of their iron sets claiming to be 2 clubs longer. After some legal mumbo jumbo they pulled those adds and then added fine print to say 2 clubs longer than their clubs, I don’t recall if trey listed the model they compared them too. That was the last time outside of the 17 or the following years +17 from TM. Interesting thing is the guys at TM behind those claims went other places including callaway 


Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Iirc Callaway did it around that time with one of their iron sets claiming to be 2 clubs longer. After some legal mumbo jumbo they pulled those adds and then added fine print to say 2 clubs longer than their clubs, I don’t recall if trey listed the model they compared them too. That was the last time outside of the 17 or the following years +17 from TM. Interesting thing is the guys at TM behind those claims went other places including callaway 

It was against the RAZR HL, Which was older, weaker lofted and an inch to almost 3/4 of an inch shorter 

https://mygolfspy.com/callaway-big-bertha-irons/

  • Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 Plus Ping 9* VA Nemesys 65FIVE
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* VA Vylyn 75FIVE
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49 F - 54 S - 59 D
:mizuno-small: M Craft I
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X
 
SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jlukes said:

It was against the RAZR HL, Which was older, weaker lofted and an inch to almost 3/4 of an inch shorter 

https://mygolfspy.com/callaway-big-bertha-irons/

2014 was about a year or so after I get into learning more about clubs and also about a year after Harry went over to Callaway iirc which would be a year or two after the 17 yard claims from TM. 


Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like driver tech peaked with the Ping G400, but maybe that's just my opinion..after that, it's just getting a good shaft, and working on your swing

  • Like 1

🥂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I feel like driver tech peaked with the Ping G400, but maybe that's just my opinion..after that, it's just getting a good shaft, and working on your swing

You maybe right, I have the G410 and it’s not going anywhere.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Rick

 

 

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh wow! Awesome. I can't wait to see this!


In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue

3 Wood: :adams-small: Insight BUL Stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

52 Deg: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0

56 deg: :cleveland-small: Reg 588 tour action

60 Deg: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0

Putter: :bettinardi-small: Studio Stock #3 (Winn 1.32 Pro x grip)

 :odyssey-small: White Hot RX #7 putter

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might get to start this soon.  Got an email that asked this:

COVID-19 MyGolfSpy Testing

This Survey is to collect data on whether you would be comfortable testing at MyGolfSpy during the Pandemic

I am guessing that finishing mallets and starting the winner comparison will be the first set of tests. 

  • Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Might get to start this soon.  Got an email that asked this:

COVID-19 MyGolfSpy Testing

This Survey is to collect data on whether you would be comfortable testing at MyGolfSpy during the Pandemic

I am guessing that finishing mallets and starting the winner comparison will be the first set of tests. 

 

... Awesome, I know you have been missing the testing!

  • Like 1

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chisag said:

 

... Awesome, I know you have been missing the testing!

I have.   They laid out some ground rules about distancing, bringing your own gloves, masks, and the hardest one.....no touching any other equipment.   

  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2020 at 11:30 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

...The problem for some guys is this: yep, you can pick up the LTD from >$100 on eBay. But there aren't a lot of places where you can get it custom-fitted. For those who fit themselves, the idea that there is older, cheaper stuff that's the equal of what's out now is good news. For the guy who wants a professional fitting, that's likely the something that's a big part of the cost of buying new.

Agreed! Matt recently did a TXG fitting of his old Callaway BB Alpha driver and found that it could perform very well using a seriously upgraded shaft.  But they concluded that no one in their right mind would install a $500 shaft on a 4 or 5-year-old head. That’s as close to a recommendation I would ever take from an individual YouTuber. I think it was Adam who said that buying golf equipment based upon the results of any individual YouTube tester is harming your own game (I’m sure I’m paraphrasing at best). That said, I also enjoy all of the TXG tests (and some of Crossfield’s & Finch’s as well). But purely for entertainment value, not club selection value.

It will be very interesting to see the results of MGS’s old vs new test. All of that data that MGS brings to their reports takes a lot of time, but makes it far more usable than anything else available on the web or in the marketplace.

 

  • Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ 10.5 w/ Motore X F3 65R shaft

:callaway-small:XR 5 Wood Fairway w/stock Project X Stiff shaft

:tour-edge: EXS220 3 & 4 Hybrid w/KBS TGI Tour Graphite Reg shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 54 & 58 deg wedges

:odyssey-small: White Ice Sabertooth putter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ping driver is so good...but they have to remove the gimmicky turbulators....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MIgregb said:

Agreed! Matt recently did a TXG fitting of his old Callaway BB Alpha driver and found that it could perform very well using a seriously upgraded shaft.  But they concluded that no one in their right mind would install a $500 shaft on a 4 or 5-year-old head. That’s as close to a recommendation I would ever take from an individual YouTuber. I think it was Adam who said that buying golf equipment based upon the results of any individual YouTube tester is harming your own game (I’m sure I’m paraphrasing at best). That said, I also enjoy all of the TXG tests (and some of Crossfield’s & Finch’s as well). But purely for entertainment value, not club selection value.

It will be very interesting to see the results of MGS’s old vs new test. All of that data that MGS brings to their reports takes a lot of time, but makes it far more usable than anything else available on the web or in the marketplace.

Im the same exact way the youtube videos are great for generic information on how a since user tested. I am a researcher (to my wife's frustration) and will watch dozens of different reviews to get an idea of opinions prior to testing it myself. I really like TXG guys though since Ian has so much info and does his best to be unbiased by explaining this is who this club/shaft/setting is good for rather then this is the "Good" vs "Bad" 

I look forward to this test ass well to see/expose what tech really has changed over the years and see what has actually benefited the golfers.

  • Like 2

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
3W:  Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 2
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50º: Maltby TSW

56º:  Cleveland RTX-2 
60º: Maltby Tour Grind MG
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball

Ball: Snell MTB X
Other: Game Golf Live
Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

2020 MGS Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...