GolfSpy MPR

2020 Most Wanted Driver: Now with comparisons to previous years!

Our Sponsors

14 minutes ago, pozzit said:

I look forward to this test ass well to see/expose what tech really has changed over the years and see what has actually benefited the golfers.

What kind of tests are you watching??? 🤣

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MIgregb said:

What kind of tests are you watching??? 🤣

Haha you don't even want to know. The internet is a wild place.

PU8F.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Before I buy a new club I always head to the driving range several days with my old club in hand for comparison, and don't get into the hype that the new club has to be better, it took me a long time to change my driver, and I still looking at my old TaylorMade 360 XR with longing to try it out again

On 4/17/2020 at 10:02 AM, chisag said:

... Take Cobra as an example since I have played most of their drivers the last 10 years. Playing the Fly Z, there was absolutely no need to upgrade to the F6, F7 and even arguably the F8. For my swing the F6 was no better that the FZ and the FZ sounded/felt better. For me the F7 was not as good as my FZ so I played out for a 3rd year. Technically better? Yes but not for my swing. The F8 was an improvement enough for me to make the change, but even then only by a little and I could have played my FZ and performance would still be very close. Now the F9 was technically better and provided enough improved performance that I would recommend all golfers playing the FZ to demo and potentially upgrade. That falls right in line with the 5 year old driver is most likely leaving some performance on the table compared to a new driver. And even then, for some the performance increase is not enough to change or spend the money, while for others it is a no brainer upgrade.
-----
Just wanted to say I really appreciate your viewpoint - i've caught several of your comments since joining, and am always impressed with your ability to express yourself in a way that speaks to a larger audience, while still remaining true to yourself individually.  That's all - just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to comment, post, and generally just being a spot of information - I've been staring at the F9/SZ since they came out, and LOVE the look of them, but fully realize that the actual gaming difference over my 2007 HiBore driver, while SOMETHING, probably won't mean I'm suddenly hitting 300 yard bombs dead straight 😉 (I mean, I MIGHT - let's not rule out my finding a club sprinkled with fairy dust).

-Swanson

• Like 1

On this subject, I recently bought online a callaway great big Bertha 2015 driver and fairway wood to install on 2 spare shafts I have Aldila synergy black

the idea was to build a second set ( I am currently waiting my Sub70 639cb) for guests...

arrived today I immediately installed and gave couple of swings on my skytrak....

my current game is the Callaway Matrix with Evenflow riptide...

surprise is... performance of GBB is superior as total distance, carry distance and ball speed.. in general I felt easier to find club face center...

now my question is the same of the topic... do we need to spend all this money for latest technology that suppose to give us 10 more yards per year?

aside that if that was true we would all by now out drive Rory ahahah

On this subject, I recently bought online a callaway great big Bertha 2015 driver and fairway wood to install on 2 spare shafts I have Aldila synergy black
the idea was to build a second set ( I am currently waiting my Sub70 639cb) for guests...
arrived today I immediately installed and gave couple of swings on my skytrak....
surprise is... performance of GBB is superior as total distance, carry distance and ball speed.. in general I felt easier to find club face center...
now my question is the same of the topic... do we need to spend all this money for latest technology that suppose to give us 10 more yards per year?

I don’t think any claim says 10 more yards per year. The old claims were generally obtained by comparing against 5+ year old clubs. Newer drivers work better for some people because of better/more shaft options and the head better fits their miss pattern.

Many time older drivers may work as well or better than newer offerings especially if you hit the center of the face consistently.

I am eager to start this testing; it will be interesting to see the results. Unfortunately, people will take it to the extreme and say either old clubs are just as good a newer clubs or you have to buy newer because they actually do perform better.

The answer to optimizing clubs isn’t necessarily the head, but finding the shaft head combination that works best for you. There will be a winner when this testing takes place, but the winner may not be your best.
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Wondergiulio said:

Who is claiming that new tech gives 10 more yards? I would like to see the ad or claim from the brand.

Everyone gets so focused on distance as the only metric that makes a driver better from an older including the year before. For some there will be distance increase thru ball speed or swing speed increase. For some it will come via launch characteristics, higher launch and lower spin will net some added yards.

For those who don’t make consistent contact on the face or don’t find the center the brands use of face design and materials used improve the clubs ability to keep speed close to that of center contact and from release to release this is where many of the acv golfers will see improvement.

Lastly standard deviation is one of the metrics that gets overlooked especially by those who aren’t looking at all the numbers on a launch monitor because the focus is on speed, launch, spin and distance. Improving standard deviation will mean shots are more consistent from swing to swing. 

Were you fit for the riptide shaft and/or mavrik or did you decide to buy that for another reason? There’s no guarantee that the riptide or the combo of the the mavrik head and loft are a good fit for your swing. Sometimes blind buys work and sometimes they don’t 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Who is claiming that new tech gives 10 more yards? I would like to see the ad or claim from the brand.

Everyone gets so focused on distance as the only metric that makes a driver better from an older including the year before. For some there will be distance increase thru ball speed or swing speed increase. For some it will come via launch characteristics, higher launch and lower spin will net some added yards.

For those who don’t make consistent contact on the face or don’t find the center the brands use of face design and materials used improve the clubs ability to keep speed close to that of center contact and from release to release this is where many of the acv golfers will see improvement.

Lastly standard deviation is one of the metrics that gets overlooked especially by those who aren’t looking at all the numbers on a launch monitor because the focus is on speed, launch, spin and distance. Improving standard deviation will mean shots are more consistent from swing to swing. 

Were you fit for the riptide shaft and/or mavrik or did you decide to buy that for another reason? There’s no guarantee that the riptide or the combo of the the mavrik head and loft are a good fit for your swing. Sometimes blind buys work and sometimes they don’t 

No my claim on 10 yards was of course a joke on the commercial and marketing materials and general impression from the public.

i was of course fitted for my riptide and Mavrik and I am aware of everything you and cnosil are saying.

in my specific case maybe the slightly more compact head works better for me.

I bought a skytrak exactly to help me understand standard deviation and even fit by ball (even if for ball fitting is not probably the optimal one but very helpful anyway)

my point is that sometimes a slightly old club can surprise for the performance especially in this case the alphas 2015 that was the longest in Most Wanted of that year.

But I am all for technology improvements! 

look forward to MGS test because there is nothing more helpful and honest than this site!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I don’t think any claim says 10 more yards per year. The old claims were generally obtained by comparing against 5+ year old clubs. Newer drivers work better for some people because of better/more shaft options and the head better fits their miss pattern.

Many time older drivers may work as well or better than newer offerings especially if you hit the center of the face consistently.

I am eager to start this testing; it will be interesting to see the results. Unfortunately, people will take it to the extreme and say either old clubs are just as good a newer clubs or you have to buy newer because they actually do perform better.

The answer to optimizing clubs isn’t necessarily the head, but finding the shaft head combination that works best for you. There will be a winner when this testing takes place, but the winner may not be your best.

Hi!

i answered already to this just could not find a way to quote you as well 🙂

thanks for the honest answer and yes I know and agree on your post.

my one was just and insight. Will do additional testing today using the same shaft and I will send you my results from the monitor.

i am very curious about it especially because I started playing golf 3 years ago and my first driver was the epic so I never tried something little outdated.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Wondergiulio said:

No my claim on 10 yards was of course a joke on the commercial and marketing materials and general impression from the public.

i was of course fitted for my riptide and Mavrik and I am aware of everything you and cnosil are saying.

in my specific case maybe the slightly more compact head works better for me.

I bought a skytrak exactly to help me understand standard deviation and even fit by ball (even if for ball fitting is not probably the optimal one but very helpful anyway)

my point is that sometimes a slightly old club can surprise for the performance especially in this case the alphas 2015 that was the longest in Most Wanted of that year.

But I am all for technology improvements! 

look forward to MGS test because there is nothing more helpful and honest than this site!

Forgot to ask when you say the GBB is longer is that carry, total or both compared to the mavrik?

what are your launch monitor numbers for both setups? As we know distance can come in different ways especially total.

Forgot to ask when you say the GBB is longer is that carry, total or both compared to the mavrik?
what are your launch monitor numbers for both setups? As we know distance can come in different ways especially total.

Hi!
I will lately post better numbers cause yesterday i just put few swings in.
Overall on my best strikes i had 3/5 yards more carry distance. That is the only one i really look into because roll on skytrak is not so accurate.
I have a 95mph swing speed on a good strike and 92ish on a bad one.
Ball speed was around 137 with the gbb for 220 carry, 135 on mavrik with 215/16 carry. Spin was similarish in the 2200 range.
Of course was few swing and shafts were different, so today i will deeply go into it with same shaft and adding lateral spin and launch angle as well as apex

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I remember the ads bragging about 10 yard gains from years back.

So I have been playing for 30 years. When I first started I was hitting around 220 yards off the tee.  I think I really stink. I only hit 250 now. I should be closer to 520 if my math is correct.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I think this is an interesting topic, but as an individual the driver that is the best is the one fit for you.

• Like 1

I purchased the 2029 Best Value Most Wanted last week and then ordered the weight kit.

Still fiddling with it. Longer than F8 but having issue with flight path, can’t seem to get it in the air.

• Like 1

I purchased the 2029 Best Value Most Wanted last week and then ordered the weight kit.

Still fiddling with it. Longer than F8 but having issue with flight path, can’t seem to get it in the air.

Feel your pain . It seems every time I make a driver change I go thru similar adjustment issues and drives me nuts.
Not sure what I did B4 the drivers came w no adjustments.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

Feel your pain . It seems every time I make a driver change I go thru similar adjustment issues and drives me nuts.
Not sure what I did B4 the drivers came w no adjustments.

I'm guessing you either didn't buy it in the first place or sold it and bought something else.  😁

• Like 2