2020 Most Wanted Driver: Now with comparisons to previous years!

GolfSpy MPR

Wondering what happened to this??

2017 TM M1 440 10.5 w/ UST Elements Wind 6F5

Callaway Epic 3W w/ UST Elements Wind 7F4

Adams Idea2 21* w/ Aldila NV85S

Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-GW w/ DG Pro S300

Callaway MD4 54W / MD3 58W w/ TT DGS400 black

Hogan Bettinardi Baby Ben / Bettinardi BB54

1 hour ago, Kobes31 said:

Wondering what happened to this??

COVID.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 3 months later...
59 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

The long-awaited MGS Most Wanted Driver vs. Most Wanted Driver vs. Most Wanted Driver vs. Most Wanted Driver vs. Most Wanted Driver has arrived!

https://mygolfspy.com/best-of-the-best-driver-challenge/

I think the first thing I'm seeing is (what I assume) is confusion about the "Forgiveness" metric. I wasn't in on the testing, but I don't think forgiveness has anything to do with left-right dispersion, but with distance/speed falloff on off-centered strikes. Epic Flash SZ is the ball speed king (makes me feel good about having one in my bag); given that it doesn't lead in strokes gained, I'm assuming the PING's edge it out in left/right dispersion.

This is what I assume as well, in that case: a category regarding offline or some measure of dispersion would have helped clarify the results instead of displaying "Overall" and Strokes Gained in the chart (which appear to be the same thing). Assuming the G410 won "Accuracy" it would have avoided a lot of confusion if some metric was displayed. If "Forgiveness" is ball speed retention, that could be considered more negative than positive. If you get the same ball speed all over the face, that just means further offline with the gearing on poor strikes. 

• Like 2

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/4H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 6-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:EVNROLL: ER2.2

I'm glad MGS updated the article with better and more transparent data. It seems the difference between all the drivers is mere fractions and maybe that's why they didn't post actual numbers in the first iteration of the article. The Srixon was the only driver with a small measurable difference in performance. Otherwise, everything else seems almost dead even. The Callaway is literally the longest by like a foot and a half. This test practically validates that not much has changed even over a five year period for the major OEMs. You put any one of these drivers (properly fit) in the hands of anyone that isn't a touring pro and they would all perform similarly with the only difference being some leaning towards the Callaway if they really needed something lower spinning. The forgiveness numbers are also super close which makes sense as all these drivers are near 460cc and they are all naturally forgiving just based on their sheer club-head size.

I think if there are real differences to be seen it will be in iron testing but even then the differences will be judgmental as not all golfers will want what new clubs have to offer. You could compare the best putters of the last 20 years and you may not find any differences. Same goes for wedges. 

• Like 3

Validation that my G400LST is still relevant and competitive.  Thanks fellas.  Maybe some more fine tuning with a Ventus Blue for the upcoming year rather than a total replacement 😉

• Like 5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

4 hours ago, bens197 said:

Validation that my G400LST is still relevant and competitive.  Thanks fellas.  Maybe some more fine tuning with a Ventus Blue for the upcoming year rather than a total replacement 😉

A lot of players plan to be buried with that driver 🙂.

• Like 5

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

8 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

A lot of players plan to be buried with that driver 🙂.

You’re not kidding. And frankly, I planned to use it for five full seasons then replace it. This is year 4 upcoming and it’s still looking good. 

• Like 5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index