TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf on Long Island

Hi gang, I am headed to Long Island to do a guys trip this summer and we are playing Bethpage Black and Red, other than that I would love any input of some of the other courses we are thinking about. Currently we are thinking: Rock Hill, Lido Golf Club, Club at Middle Bay and maybe Cherry Creek. Does anyone have any experience or advice with regards to these courses? Thanks

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

Can’t go wrong with both the black and the red.  I actually fancy the red over the black and that’s just from a pure beauty stand point.  Montauk Downs is a great course and if you can make it up north just a bit, Pete Dye’s Pound Ridge is beautiful and for sure challenging.  Also check out the championship course at Harbor Links.  

Brock C Davison 

Things To Know :

• I hit my 7-iron like John Daly hits the 3
  • Brands I Stand By: Peter Millar, Taylormade, PING, Seamus, and of course Titleist 
  • Favorite Golfer Of All Time: Payne Stewart & Freddy "Boom Boom

Black and Red are good. Could also add the Blue and maybe Ferry Point. Depending on when the trip is I could also arrange for you to play at my club if you wanted to.  I would personally skip Rock Hill and Cherry, in the summer these are 6+ hour rounds easily.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

On 2/28/2020 at 5:40 PM, brockcdavison said:

Can’t go wrong with both the black and the red.  I actually fancy the red over the black and that’s just from a pure beauty stand point.  Montauk Downs is a great course and if you can make it up north just a bit, Pete Dye’s Pound Ridge is beautiful and for sure challenging.  Also check out the championship course at Harbor Links.  

I think I looked into Montauk but that was on the opposite end of the island if I remember correctly.  I also looked at Pound Ridge and that place looked insane!  That one is in CT right?  How long of a drive is that, we are staying closer to Queens I think.  Thanks for the advice.  I've played Black a few times but never the Red course, I'm looking forward to it.

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

On 2/28/2020 at 7:43 PM, Jmikecpa said:

Black and Red are good. Could also add the Blue and maybe Ferry Point. Depending on when the trip is I could also arrange for you to play at my club if you wanted to.  I would personally skip Rock Hill and Cherry, in the summer these are 6+ hour rounds easily.

Ferry Point is one of my favorite courses.  My buddies and I had tee times for the Black course a few years ago and we were traveling up from Delaware and Baltimore, we had a noon tee time so we left around 5am.  We drove through a pretty nasty storm but it passed and the sun was shinning.  We showed up at the Black course and it seemed pretty quiet but we just figured it was because we were playing on a Wednesday.  We go up to the door to check in and see a sign that read, "All Bethpage State Park courses closed for the day".  WTF?  We looked like Clark Griswold walking up to Wally World.  We walked into the proshop and the guy said they had about 4 inches of rain in an hour so they had to shut down.  Needless to say how pissed we were to not be notified of this.  So sitting in the pro shop my other buddy called over to Ferry Point and they were open so we shot over there.  They were also in the same storm but the course was dry as a bone!  Incredible!  What a cool course, being in the city but playing on a tremendous course.  Hole 18 with the bridge in the background is stunning!  I will take your word and skip Rock Hill and Cherry don't need that.  I also greatly appreciate the invite to play at your club, there would be 8 of us so I don't know if that would be something we could do or not, but I am all for it if possible.  It's things like this that is why I absolutely love this site!!!

15 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I think I looked into Montauk but that was on the opposite end of the island if I remember correctly.  I also looked at Pound Ridge and that place looked insane!  That one is in CT right?  How long of a drive is that, we are staying closer to Queens I think.  Thanks for the advice.  I've played Black a few times but never the Red course, I'm looking forward to it.

Pound ridge is in CT but only like 45 min drive from queens.  For sure play. Harbor Links is closer but their fun plays and worth it.  

Brock C Davison 

Things To Know :

• I hit my 7-iron like John Daly hits the 3
  • Brands I Stand By: Peter Millar, Taylormade, PING, Seamus, and of course Titleist 
  • Favorite Golfer Of All Time: Payne Stewart & Freddy "Boom Boom

12 hours ago, brockcdavison said:

Pound ridge is in CT but only like 45 min drive from queens.  For sure play. Harbor Links is closer but their fun plays and worth it.  

Sounds like Pound Ridge just got put on our list!  Thanks everyone!!!

Let us know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 2 weeks later...

Depending upon where you are staying. There is a course I absolutely love also in CT.   It's just 15 minutes further than Pound Ridge. Depending on your time allotment. Another place with a great course is Lake of Isles.  Long Island golf is probably the best golf available in all of US. It's just that most all of it is very private. So a day run up to the Black and Red. swing around corner and run up play Pound Ridge, Great River and possibly Lake of Isles. Here's Great River...... https://www.greatrivergolfclub.com/

Epic Flash 9 &15

Titliest 915 18&21

Staff 5 to G

Ping SW

Wide Flange LW

TM Spider X

Depending upon where you are staying. There is a course I absolutely love also in CT.   It's just 15 minutes further than Pound Ridge. Depending on your time allotment. Another place with a great course is Lake of Isles.  Long Island golf is probably the best golf available in all of US. It's just that most all of it is very private. So a day run up to the Black and Red. swing around corner and run up play Pound Ridge, Great River and possibly Lake of Isles. Here's Great River...... https://www.greatrivergolfclub.com/

Great River not bad, a couple of funky holes but OK. I always played well there.
It’s been 8+ years since I’ve been there it sounds like it got more upscale.
They used to have special rate days, maybe Fridays.

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Great River not bad, a couple of funky holes but OK. I always played well there.
It’s been 8+ years since I’ve been there it sounds like it got more upscale.
They used to have special rate days, maybe Fridays.

Define funky. Love to hear which holes as none are funky in my book. I have played there about 25 times though so maybe they grew on me. It's half the cost of Pound Ridge also. Sacred Heart bought Great River a number of years ago. Made a few upgrades, changed the nines back to original so the 1st isn't a par 3 now. I lived in CT for 30 years. Played over 100 courses in the state. Great River is the best public in CT in my book. 

Epic Flash 9 &15

Titliest 915 18&21

Staff 5 to G

Ping SW

Wide Flange LW

TM Spider X

Define funky. Love to hear which holes as none are funky in my book. I have played there about 25 times though so maybe they grew on me. It's half the cost of Pound Ridge also. Sacred Heart bought Great River a number of years ago. Made a few upgrades, changed the nines back to original so the 1st isn't a par 3 now. I lived in CT for 30 years. Played over 100 courses in the state. Great River is the best public in CT in my book. 

Been a long time but either the 1st or 10th has a weird landing area. There was an uphill green that was impossible to hold. They were discussing doing that one over 10 years ago.

Tried Richter in Danbury?

Rick

Left Hand, 

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

Been a long time but either the 1st or 10th has a weird landing area. There was an uphill green that was impossible to hold. They were discussing doing that one over 10 years ago.

Tried Richter in Danbury?

Richter a good course. The course across the water on the signature hole, the place I worked was a member and I played there often. Morefar. Re Great River. The 1st is a challenging hole. All the bunkers eat up many that try to cut the dogleg. Just gotta not look that way and go toward the bunker at the corner left. The 3rd hole is I believe the green you speak of. It is a deep undulation and is only receptive to a short iron approach with some spin. With that big hill and creek at base. It creates almost a must play in 3 shots par 5. 

Epic Flash 9 &15

Titliest 915 18&21

Staff 5 to G

Ping SW

Wide Flange LW

TM Spider X

Richter a good course. The course across the water on the signature hole, the place I worked was a member and I played there often. Morefar. Re Great River. The 1st is a challenging hole. All the bunkers eat up many that try to cut the dogleg. Just gotta not look that way and go toward the bunker at the corner left. The 3rd hole is I believe the green you speak of. It is a deep undulation and is only receptive to a short iron approach with some spin. With that big hill and creek at base. It creates almost a must play in 3 shots par 5. 

Try Yale in New Haven if you get a chance. It feel into some disrepair a while back but I was told it’s been OK.
It was used as a PGA qualifier years ago.

Rick

Left Hand,