maite400h

Your last golf trip out of state or abroad

Our Sponsors

Just curious about your experience when you booked your last golf holiday. Did you book with a travel agent or did you search around and book it on your own? Any disappointments or insight you could share?

My last significant golf holiday was a week in Scotland in 2018.  A friend of mine did all the bookings himself, and it was no real problem.  In hindsight, we might have chosen to stay at a different hotel for one of our two locations, but booking through a travel service wouldn't have eliminated that hotel.  I've planned 2 trips to Ireland and two to Scotland the same way, and never an issue.  

I go to Pinehurst pretty often, because I own a condo at one of the golf resorts there.  We book all of our golf through the resort, since they always get us lower rates than we could on our own.  In that area, booking through a resort or service might save some money, although using something like AirBnB could save enough money on lodging to offset the higher costs for golf.

Haven't taken a trip in the last year but my group usually locates a home in the area we're going to be playing. We have found and rented most of them through a VRBO or some such service. We've always been able to speak directly with the owner. So far this type of arrangement has worked great for us. Like Dave's Pinehurst experience, a home owner we rented from there once was able to get us preferred tee-times at a few courses. 

My last trip was to the Charleston area last spring.  Played The Plantation Course at Edisto, Stono Ferry, CC of Charleston, Patriots Point and Bulls Bay.

Our next trip is one I have been planning for 20 years.  We are flying to Los Angeles in June 2021, renting an SUV and driving the Pacific Coast Highway to Seattle over a two to three week span.  We have already begun choosing the many golf stops along the way.  Although the list is far from complete, we are in agreement on Harding Park, Pacific Grove, Pasatiempo and The Sheep Ranch.  It's been my daughter's dream to attend Stanford University since she was about 8 years old.  She is making every effort to get a round there.  We will likely detour off HWY 1/101 to let her see the campus even if we don't get to play.  Looking forward to this trip!

• Like 1

Last year I had Two, my annual Buddy Trip to Kissimmee (4 days) in April where I make all the arrangements, and my annual week at Hilton Head Island in Sept, where I play the selected courses for my timeshare.

I anticipate the same trips this year.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

My last trip was to the Charleston area last spring.  Played The Plantation Course at Edisto, Stono Ferry, CC of Charleston, Patriots Point and Bulls Bay.

Our next trip is one I have been planning for 20 years.  We are flying to Los Angeles in June 2021, renting an SUV and driving the Pacific Coast Highway to Seattle over a two to three week span.  We have already begun choosing the many golf stops along the way.  Although the list is far from complete, we are in agreement on Harding Park, Pacific Grove, Pasatiempo and The Sheep Ranch.  It's been my daughter's dream to attend Stanford University since she was about 8 years old.  She is making every effort to get a round there.  We will likely detour off HWY 1/101 to let her see the campus even if we don't get to play.  Looking forward to this trip!

Stanford course is fun. Been a long time since I've played it but really enjoyable. 

• Like 1

I love Stono Ferry. Used to play it 8 - 10 times a year when my family had a place in Seabrook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last trip was Pinehurst with my son and we just booked the golf and loading through Pinehurst and I booked our flights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My last trip was for 2 weeks in Palm Springs, CA.  I can select from 4 condos in the area, but I could only get into the one I don't care for very much.  Still it was a great trip.  I fly Delta on Skymiles so free, and rent a car.  Played 11 times in 13 days and booked tee times when I got there.

My next trip is to Irvine, CA in April and I'm driving this time.  Don't have an itinerary, just have to be there April 8 and leave April 15.