Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Callaway Diablo Octane Laser Rangefinder - REVIEW

• SPY VIP

Callaway Golf Diablo Octane Laser Rangefinder – REVIEW

http://www.callawayrangefinders.com/products/Diablo/

IMG_1207.jpg

What does Diablo Octane mean?

So my Spanish may be questionable, but to me, Diablo translates to devil. Octane, again by Golfspy Dave definition, is about gas quality. High-octane gas is used by high-performance (i.e. fast) cars. Cobbling these two words together, I get devilishly fast. Maybe that doesn't work for you but it seems more appropriate then devil's gas. Plus, it is a laser and there is that whole speed of light thing to think about.

In spite the mysterious name, I headed into this review with very high expectations. The Callaway/Nikon iQ laser was the first laser rangefinder that I reviewed for this site and still the one that I use as the standard for all others (iQ review HERE). Devilishly fast or the devil's gas, we shall see.

IMG_1209.jpg

Cosmetics and Feel (20 Points)

The Diablo Octane rangefinder has a great red and black color scheme. The texture of the red body is very rubbery, both providing secure hold when using and suggesting its waterproof nature. The buttons are on top of the unit, like in the iQ model, with a mode button and a second button that turns the unit on and takes the measurement. I find the unit ideally sized for single hand, vertical operation, with the fingers naturally finding the buttons.

IMG_1206.jpg

One feature where I feel that Callaway really missed with this unit is the case. The case for the iQ is definitely better. Where the case on the iQ has a magnetically closing cover to protect the optics, this has none. This case is akin to a tight fitting nylon condom for the unit. It covers the sides of the unit, but not the lenses. I feel that its tough, rubbery finish already protects the sides of the unit. Perhaps the slip-on cover prevents slippage when your hands are sweaty or the unit is damp, or perhaps it is just there as a cosmetic variation. Regardless, it is a miss and it makes the unit feel cheap to me. Now I realize that the iQ costs over $100 more than this unit, but most of that cost is likely tied up in the slope function and low-light illumination changing reticule. At most, the superior case runs a couple of dollars more in production cost. The better case should have come with the Diablo Octane. Even a nearly identical one with the piping changed from orange to red would have worked. The case gets a devil's gas rating.

IMG_1197.jpg

Cosmetics and Feel Score: 16/20 Points

Performance (60 Points)

Ease of Use

OK so my mini-rant about the lame case is over… Off to the golf course. The Diablo Octane is very easy to use. Press the ON button to bring up the reticule. Aim the reticule at the target. Press the same button that turned it on to take the yardage reading. Aim at something else and press the same button for another reading, or hold it down and it will take a continuous series of measurements. Coming back to the name, this thing is devilishly fast. There is no lag in powering up, and readings are nearly instantaneous.

IMG_1199.jpg

On the Course

Magnification (6x) is definitely sufficient for targeting. The ability to focus the reticule in on target using the diopter adjustment is a nice feature, but not one I returned to once I focused it initially. The unit will only work out to 550 yards so those of you who hit the ball longer than that may need something else.

IMG_1210.jpg

For those who play in sunglasses, the rubber gasket around the eyepiece does fold down to accommodate sunglasses. I found this feature helpful, but the rubber piece did keep popping up again as I moved the unit into and out of the bag. Although the unit comes with a carabineer to clip it to the outside of your bag, I preferred returning it to my bag's valuables pocket to protect the lenses. Perhaps this was not necessary, but I do not feel confident clipping it to my bag, or my pushcart, like I do with the iQ.

IMG_1201.jpg

One other performance feature that is worth noting is that when used head-to-head with the more expensive iQ model, the distances were the same. The only difference is that the iQ model calculates slope and has the low light mode. The Diablo Octane is just as adept at acquiring the flag and because it lacks the slope feature, it is tournament legal.

Performance Score: 55/60

Value (20 Points)

The Callaway Diablo Octane laser rangefinder lists at $299. This places it in prime competition with the Bushnell and Leupold lasers with similar features. It flat out performs on the course and should definitely be included in the purchasing conversation when looking for a slope-free rangefinder.

IMG_1204.jpg

My only knocks on value are the “slim Turbostratic” case and the fact that it uses a 3-volt CR2 lithium battery rather than a cheaper, more readily available battery. The iQ does use the same battery though and it is still going strong after three months of somewhat heavy use. Ultimately, I think that a case that protected the lenses would improve the longevity of the unit and thus increase the value score.

Value Score (17/20)

Overall Score: 90/100

Summary

So the Callaway iQ laser still reigns supreme for me, but at no real fault of the Diablo Octane. If you are looking for a laser without slope, with great optics, and devilishly fast target acquisition, check out the Callaway Diablo Octanefor sure.

IMG_1203.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Archived