TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shankster: A CB Wedge Experiment

Shankster

As a self proclaimed modern traditionalist, I overlooked the benefits of some forgiveness throughout the bag. Blades only... 🤦🏼‍♂️ Until recently. The MGS Most Wanted Wedge test this year might have had something to do with it as well.

So, I have decided to purchase two used PING Glide (OG’s) wedges one 52° and 58° Wide Sole.

Getting both of these wedges for less than a cost of a single new Glide 3.0 will give me the opportunity to at least see what a CB wedge can offer. I’ve hit them once before, and the Glide 2.0’s, so what the heck... why not?

I’m also going to try my hand at the grinding wheel on these, I may even buy the Standard Sole 58° to test alongside and still be just over the cost of a new one. Anyways with the grinding wheel experiment, I’ll be trying to dial in both the Gap wedge (probably a heel grind to let me open it up a bit easier) and the Lob Wedge with a touch of back relief.

PING offers these grinds on the 3.0 through custom. So I’ll do a little testing, decide what works, and maybe buy some 3.0 “Stealths” when the launch 🤞🏼...

If not, I’ll have some Original Glides to get me around the course.

Are you abandoning your love for blades? I'll go out on a limb and guess you can play blades. I play MP64's.... not blades. "Player's CB's."... what ever that means.

I'm not a "player".... I just play what I like.  As far as wedges.... I  have always been a Vokey fan. I have never hit a CB wedge. What is your perception between the two?

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

As a self proclaimed modern traditionalist, I overlooked the benefits of some forgiveness throughout the bag. Blades only... 🤦🏼‍♂️ Until recently. The MGS Most Wanted Wedge test this year might have had something to do with it as well.

So, I have decided to purchase two used PING Glide (OG’s) wedges one 52° and 58° Wide Sole.

Getting both of these wedges for less than a cost of a single new Glide 3.0 will give me the opportunity to at least see what a CB wedge can offer. I’ve hit them once before, and the Glide 2.0’s, so what the heck... why not?

I’m also going to try my hand at the grinding wheel on these, I may even buy the Standard Sole 58° to test alongside and still be just over the cost of a new one. Anyways with the grinding wheel experiment, I’ll be trying to dial in both the Gap wedge (probably a heel grind to let me open it up a bit easier) and the Lob Wedge with a touch of back relief.

PING offers these grinds on the 3.0 through custom. So I’ll do a little testing, decide what works, and maybe buy some 3.0 “Stealths” when the launch 🤞🏼...

If not, I’ll have some Original Glides to get me around the course.

No disrespect to Terry Kohler... "Shankster - The Other Wedge Guy"

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Are you abandoning your love for blades? I'll go out on a limb and guess you can play blades. I play MP64's.... not blades. "Player's CB's."... what ever that means.
I'm not a "player".... I just play what I like.  As far as wedges.... I  have always been a Vokey fan. I have never hit a CB wedge. What is your perception between the two?

No, just experimenting.

My thoughts are... I’m not sure.

Both are cast, one has some elastomer infused in it.

Recently my favorite shot to hit with wedges in the low toe spinner, it is absolutely a blast to use. But you need some “dead” area on the club-face to be able to swing harder for the increased spin without the increase in distance or ball speed. It’s a tricky balance. The only foreseeable problem I’ll have is that “dead zone” won’t be there. If that is the case then I don’t know what I’ll do.

Mostly hitting all my wedges that way, even 100 yard PW’s, they come in low and bite hard.

I haven’t hit a high pitch shot under 100 in a while. Using mostly the Day/Stricker dead arm technique, it’s magical.

So, as long as there is that dead zone near the bottom toe of the club, the added “potential” ball speed retention on fuller swings with a miss hit... sounds like a winner.

Let us know how the low toe spinner works with the Glides.  I have to admit, I've never looked into how to hit it until just now, and now I want to try it.  I can probably pull it off with the F8 wedges.  If I get my CBX back from my dad, I'll try with that as well, but I'm pretty sure there's no dead spots on that thing.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Let us know how the low toe spinner works with the Glides.  I have to admit, I've never looked into how to hit it until just now, and now I want to try it.  I can probably pull it off with the F8 wedges.  If I get my CBX back from my dad, I'll try with that as well, but I'm pretty sure there's no dead spots on that thing.

Yes Sir, will do. You will have fun with that technique. It takes a bit of practice to get used to it, but man if it isn’t deadly accurate once you get it.

12 hours ago, Shankster said:

As one of the resident "Hmm, I think I could rig that up at home" forum members, I love the idea of you taking on your own grinding. I wonder if there's any chance you could get a hold of these bounce stickers:

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Assuming that they're just showing wear patterns, would ordinary tape work? You wouldn't have the advantage of knowing what PING sole grind code it corresponds to, but if you're doing it yourself, that doesn't seem to be that important, right?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Assuming that they're just showing wear patterns, would ordinary tape work? You wouldn't have the advantage of knowing what PING sole grind code it corresponds to, but if you're doing it yourself, that doesn't seem to be that important, right?

Try some blue painters tape.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

16 hours ago, Shankster said:

PING offers these grinds on the 3.0 through custom. So I’ll do a little testing, decide what works, and maybe buy some 3.0 “Stealths” when the launch

If I remember correctly, my ping rep said the custom grinds weren't available in the stealth wedges, but my memory sucks. 

And I'll be trying that low toe spinner this weekend at the range!

2 hours ago, Shankster said:
3 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:
As one of the resident "Hmm, I think I could rig that up at home" forum members, I love the idea of you taking on your own grinding. I wonder if there's any chance you could get a hold of these bounce stickers:

I’d like some for sure.

I just use 2 lie stickers on the sole, works well. Gives a real good indication of attack on angle for a players wedge swing

• :taylormade-small: Sim 9* - Diamana white board S
  • :taylormade-small: 3W -  M2 HL 16.5 Diamana white board  X-flex
  • :callaway-small: 19 & 23 deg. X-Hot Hybrids  Fuji Pro 70 hyb S-flex
  • :ping-small:  5-PW I500 - Modus3 105 S-flex
  • :ping-small: Glide 3.0  50,54 & 60 - Custom grinds- ZZ wedge shafts
  • :taylormade-small:  Rosa  34 1/2" winn grip
  • Ball - :bridgestone-small: Tour BX /  Maxfli Tour X
  • :1590477705_SunMountain: 14/5 BAG on a :Clicgear: 2.0
  • :ShotScope:

22 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Well there goes that idea. No stealth for me.

I might be wrong, as my ping grind sheet from 2019 says stealth grinds on 2.0’s 

D9852A9E-C61B-457D-BB97-66D54B547EA5.jpeg

• :taylormade-small: Sim 9* - Diamana white board S
  • :taylormade-small: 3W -  M2 HL 16.5 Diamana white board  X-flex
  • :callaway-small: 19 & 23 deg. X-Hot Hybrids  Fuji Pro 70 hyb S-flex
  • :ping-small:  5-PW I500 - Modus3 105 S-flex
  • :ping-small: Glide 3.0  50,54 & 60 - Custom grinds- ZZ wedge shafts
  • :taylormade-small:  Rosa  34 1/2" winn grip
  • Ball - :bridgestone-small: Tour BX /  Maxfli Tour X
  • :1590477705_SunMountain: 14/5 BAG on a :Clicgear: 2.0
  • :ShotScope:

9 hours ago, canam13 said:

I might be wrong, as my ping grind sheet from 2019 says stealth grinds on 2.0’s 

D9852A9E-C61B-457D-BB97-66D54B547EA5.jpeg

WRX gets their own grind?  BS.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I think you’re on to something.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

23 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'd love to get these as well. Anyone know where they're available? Don't see them in the Golf Works catalog.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

I'd love to get these as well. Anyone know where they're available? Don't see them in the Golf Works catalog.

Not available to the public.    Saw the original post on twitter and someone asked where they could get them and this was Ping's response  "this is for fitting purposes only by authorized fitters. Not sold for consumer use. Thank you for your interest."

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

38 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Not available to the public.    Saw the original post on twitter and someone asked where they could get them and this was Ping's response  "this is for fitting purposes only by authorized fitters. Not sold for consumer use. Thank you for your interest."

Dang too bad. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I am pondering trying CB wedges too, potentially the Cleveland CBX 2. I play GI irons, so I could use the forgiveness on full shots. I hit my Vokey wedges well on pitch shots, but then find some way to hit super thin full shots.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

One is due in tomorrow, and the other will be here Thursday.

Can’t wait to kick this experiment off.

Things I’ll be expecting.

1. Hot face (perception of quicker launching shots) (...perception...)

2. A touch more distance.

3. Firmer Feel
Really intregued to see how this goes. I have never played cavity back wedges and have been curious a time or two but never had enough time to test out on a course and really get used to it.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

52° showed up today. Besides a little battle scar on the face that I can’t see at address, this is a brand new club. 2ndswing coming through for the win.

Shaft is a DG Pro X100, it feels like a A or L flex. Super whippy feeling. Only got a few swings in, but the Swingweight is super light as well. First swing was a 110 yarder into the wind. (The X shaft is definitely bringing the flight down. )

Feel...? Love it so far.

Liking the stock PING wedge grip.

IMG_7216.JPG
IMG_7217.JPG

Shankster I did not know you were a wedge grinder too--- I will take a grinder to one in a NY minute. I do use painters tape and hit off my mat and I also use a spray painted board too. I have done so many over the years I can eyeball them up. I also use a Maltby wedge gauge to check bounce even though I can take a straight edge and protractor and do the math but the Maltby gauge is quicker and easier. I do not like a lot of bounce and a lower sharp leading edge. I also do not like a wide sole. I buy or find cheap wedges to experiment with. And trust me I have a staff bag full of ones that did not turn out right 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Shankster I did not know you were a wedge grinder too--- I will take a grinder to one in a NY minute. I do use painters tape and hit off my mat and I also use a spray painted board too. I have done so many over the years I can eyeball them up. I also use a Maltby wedge gauge to check bounce even though I can take a straight edge and protractor and do the math but the Maltby gauge is quicker and easier. I do not like a lot of bounce and a lower sharp leading edge. I also do not like a wide sole. I buy or find cheap wedges to experiment with. And trust me I have a staff bag full of ones that did not turn out right 

I’m not... *yet*... going to be a first. Probably practice on my old TM wedges before touching the new ones.

On 3/2/2020 at 11:14 PM, Shankster said:

Glad to see some interest in the topic.

If you gentlemen have any specific questions you want to know fire away.

I’ve played bladed wedges only. So this will be new to me as well.

You're already going to address whether or not you can hit the intentional low-toe spinner; I'm looking forward to that.

Does a cavity back wedge do a better job of getting you some reasonable distance on those shots that pitch shots you hit high on the face coming out of the rough with a fluffy lie?  I still have nightmares about hitting that shot in a chip-off on the last hole of the shootout of my dad's 2006 member-guest that kept us from repeating as champs.  I actually bought the CBX wedge because of that (my review here).  

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

You're already going to address whether or not you can hit the intentional low-toe spinner; I'm looking forward to that.
Does a cavity back wedge do a better job of getting you some reasonable distance on those shots that pitch shots you hit high on the face coming out of the rough with a fluffy lie?  I still have nightmares about hitting that shot in a chip-off on the last hole of the shootout of my dad's 2006 member-guest that kept us from repeating as champs.  I actually bought the CBX wedge because of that (my review here).  

I tend to get this type of lie quite often, so it will be tested good sir!