Shankster: A CB Wedge Experiment

Our Sponsors

As a self proclaimed modern traditionalist, I overlooked the benefits of some forgiveness throughout the bag. Blades only... 🤦🏼‍♂️ Until recently. The MGS Most Wanted Wedge test this year might have had something to do with it as well.

So, I have decided to purchase two used PING Glide (OG’s) wedges one 52° and 58° Wide Sole.

Getting both of these wedges for less than a cost of a single new Glide 3.0 will give me the opportunity to at least see what a CB wedge can offer. I’ve hit them once before, and the Glide 2.0’s, so what the heck... why not?

I’m also going to try my hand at the grinding wheel on these, I may even buy the Standard Sole 58° to test alongside and still be just over the cost of a new one. Anyways with the grinding wheel experiment, I’ll be trying to dial in both the Gap wedge (probably a heel grind to let me open it up a bit easier) and the Lob Wedge with a touch of back relief.

PING offers these grinds on the 3.0 through custom. So I’ll do a little testing, decide what works, and maybe buy some 3.0 “Stealths” when the launch 🤞🏼...

If not, I’ll have some Original Glides to get me around the course.

• Like 9
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a self proclaimed modern traditionalist, I overlooked the benefits of some forgiveness throughout the bag. Blades only... 🤦🏼‍♂️ Until recently. The MGS Most Wanted Wedge test this year might have

They are on the way. Glide 1.0’s incoming. 52° and 58° Wide Sole. 52 has an X Flex and 58 has the stock ping shaft. Probably going to get two 610’s to reshaft them with.

No disrespect to Terry Kohler... "Shankster - The Other Wedge Guy"

Posted Images

Are you abandoning your love for blades? I'll go out on a limb and guess you can play blades. I play MP64's.... not blades. "Player's CB's."... what ever that means.

I'm not a "player".... I just play what I like.  As far as wedges.... I  have always been a Vokey fan. I have never hit a CB wedge. What is your perception between the two?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shankster said:

As a self proclaimed modern traditionalist, I overlooked the benefits of some forgiveness throughout the bag. Blades only... 🤦🏼‍♂️ Until recently. The MGS Most Wanted Wedge test this year might have had something to do with it as well.

So, I have decided to purchase two used PING Glide (OG’s) wedges one 52° and 58° Wide Sole.

Getting both of these wedges for less than a cost of a single new Glide 3.0 will give me the opportunity to at least see what a CB wedge can offer. I’ve hit them once before, and the Glide 2.0’s, so what the heck... why not?

I’m also going to try my hand at the grinding wheel on these, I may even buy the Standard Sole 58° to test alongside and still be just over the cost of a new one. Anyways with the grinding wheel experiment, I’ll be trying to dial in both the Gap wedge (probably a heel grind to let me open it up a bit easier) and the Lob Wedge with a touch of back relief.

PING offers these grinds on the 3.0 through custom. So I’ll do a little testing, decide what works, and maybe buy some 3.0 “Stealths” when the launch 🤞🏼...

If not, I’ll have some Original Glides to get me around the course.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Are you abandoning your love for blades? I'll go out on a limb and guess you can play blades. I play MP64's.... not blades. "Player's CB's."... what ever that means.
I'm not a "player".... I just play what I like.  As far as wedges.... I  have always been a Vokey fan. I have never hit a CB wedge. What is your perception between the two?

No, just experimenting.

My thoughts are... I’m not sure.

Both are cast, one has some elastomer infused in it.

Recently my favorite shot to hit with wedges in the low toe spinner, it is absolutely a blast to use. But you need some “dead” area on the club-face to be able to swing harder for the increased spin without the increase in distance or ball speed. It’s a tricky balance. The only foreseeable problem I’ll have is that “dead zone” won’t be there. If that is the case then I don’t know what I’ll do.

Mostly hitting all my wedges that way, even 100 yard PW’s, they come in low and bite hard.

I haven’t hit a high pitch shot under 100 in a while. Using mostly the Day/Stricker dead arm technique, it’s magical.

So, as long as there is that dead zone near the bottom toe of the club, the added “potential” ball speed retention on fuller swings with a miss hit... sounds like a winner.
  • Like 5

I like it. He has a better name for the “Wedge Guy”... No one wants to hear the “word” anywhere near there wedges...
  • Haha 2

Let us know how the low toe spinner works with the Glides.  I have to admit, I've never looked into how to hit it until just now, and now I want to try it.  I can probably pull it off with the F8 wedges.  If I get my CBX back from my dad, I'll try with that as well, but I'm pretty sure there's no dead spots on that thing.

• Like 3

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Let us know how the low toe spinner works with the Glides.  I have to admit, I've never looked into how to hit it until just now, and now I want to try it.  I can probably pull it off with the F8 wedges.  If I get my CBX back from my dad, I'll try with that as well, but I'm pretty sure there's no dead spots on that thing.

Yes Sir, will do. You will have fun with that technique. It takes a bit of practice to get used to it, but man if it isn’t deadly accurate once you get it.
  • Like 3
12 hours ago, Shankster said:

As one of the resident "Hmm, I think I could rig that up at home" forum members, I love the idea of you taking on your own grinding. I wonder if there's any chance you could get a hold of these bounce stickers:

• Like 5

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 70 X
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

As one of the resident "Hmm, I think I could rig that up at home" forum members, I love the idea of you taking on your own grinding. I wonder if there's any chance you could get a hold of these bounce stickers:

I’d like some for sure.
  • Like 2

Assuming that they're just showing wear patterns, would ordinary tape work? You wouldn't have the advantage of knowing what PING sole grind code it corresponds to, but if you're doing it yourself, that doesn't seem to be that important, right?

• Like 4

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 70 X
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Assuming that they're just showing wear patterns, would ordinary tape work? You wouldn't have the advantage of knowing what PING sole grind code it corresponds to, but if you're doing it yourself, that doesn't seem to be that important, right?

Try some blue painters tape.
  • Like 3
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

16 hours ago, Shankster said:

PING offers these grinds on the 3.0 through custom. So I’ll do a little testing, decide what works, and maybe buy some 3.0 “Stealths” when the launch

If I remember correctly, my ping rep said the custom grinds weren't available in the stealth wedges, but my memory sucks. 

And I'll be trying that low toe spinner this weekend at the range!

2 hours ago, Shankster said:
3 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I’d like some for sure.

I just use 2 lie stickers on the sole, works well. Gives a real good indication of attack on angle for a players wedge swing

• Like 3
  • :taylormade-small: Sim 9* - Diamana white board S
  • :taylormade-small: 3W -  M2 HL 16.5 Diamana white board  X-flex
  • :callaway-small: 19 & 23 deg. X-Hot Hybrids  Fuji Pro 70 hyb S-flex
  • :ping-small:  5-PW I500 - Modus3 105 S-flex
  • :ping-small: Glide 3.0  50,54 & 60 - Custom grinds- ZZ wedge shafts
  • :taylormade-small:  Rosa  34 1/2" winn grip
  • Ball - :bridgestone-small: Tour BX /  Maxfli Tour X
  • :1590477705_SunMountain: 14/5 BAG on a :Clicgear: 2.0
  • :ShotScope:

22 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Well there goes that idea. No stealth for me.

I might be wrong, as my ping grind sheet from 2019 says stealth grinds on 2.0’s 

D9852A9E-C61B-457D-BB97-66D54B547EA5.jpeg

• Like 4
  • :taylormade-small: Sim 9* - Diamana white board S
  • :taylormade-small: 3W -  M2 HL 16.5 Diamana white board  X-flex
  • :callaway-small: 19 & 23 deg. X-Hot Hybrids  Fuji Pro 70 hyb S-flex
  • :ping-small:  5-PW I500 - Modus3 105 S-flex
  • :ping-small: Glide 3.0  50,54 & 60 - Custom grinds- ZZ wedge shafts
  • :taylormade-small:  Rosa  34 1/2" winn grip
  • Ball - :bridgestone-small: Tour BX /  Maxfli Tour X
  • :1590477705_SunMountain: 14/5 BAG on a :Clicgear: 2.0
  • :ShotScope:

They are on the way. Glide 1.0’s incoming. 52° and 58° Wide Sole.

52 has an X Flex and 58 has the stock ping shaft. Probably going to get two 610’s to reshaft them with.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, canam13 said:

I might be wrong, as my ping grind sheet from 2019 says stealth grinds on 2.0’s 

D9852A9E-C61B-457D-BB97-66D54B547EA5.jpeg

WRX gets their own grind?  BS.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I think you’re on to something.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

23 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'd love to get these as well. Anyone know where they're available? Don't see them in the Golf Works catalog.

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

I'd love to get these as well. Anyone know where they're available? Don't see them in the Golf Works catalog.

Not available to the public.    Saw the original post on twitter and someone asked where they could get them and this was Ping's response  "this is for fitting purposes only by authorized fitters. Not sold for consumer use. Thank you for your interest."

• Sad 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

38 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Not available to the public.    Saw the original post on twitter and someone asked where they could get them and this was Ping's response  "this is for fitting purposes only by authorized fitters. Not sold for consumer use. Thank you for your interest."

Dang too bad. 

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel