Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Coolibar Convertible Golf Polo and Fairway Golf Hat - REVIEW

• SPY VIP

Coolibar Convertible Golf Polo and Fairway Golf Hat

An Official MyGolfSpy.com Review

Fun in the sun, but not too much sun…

Here is the newsworthy part of this review; golf is played outdoors. And because of this, you have a high probability of interacting with the sun. Think about how many rounds you play in the summer and then multiply that times the numbers of hours per round. Add in your practice hours each week and you will see that your sun exposure is significant. Now while the sun can give you the sweet half-face tan that we see when the pros take off their hats to shake hands on eighteen, it can also cause skin cancer. Being that I don't want the golfer's face tan or skin cancer, sun protection is something I take very seriously.

Who is Coolibar?

Coolibar is a company that is all about sun protection. While they sell sunscreen, they are really about sun protective clothing. Sunscreen is effective, but it rubs off. Sun-protective clothing stays in place and thus keeps protecting you. On their site, you can easily find the products that Coolibar markets to golfers. This review covers two of those products, the Convertible Golf Polo, and the Fairway Golf Hat.

Style (20 Points)

So how many golf shirts do you currently own? How many of those make it into the playing rotation? I find that my polos are almost like my putters in that there is a certain appearance that first catches my eye and then I take it to the course to see how it performs. I think that the style of the Convertible Golf Polo is such that it does catch my eye. The main feature of the shirt is that it comes with matching, removable sleeves. These sleeves are similar to the compression sleeves offered by Nike and UnderArmor without the intention of compressing for performance. These sleeves are about sun protection and are made of the same SPF 50 material as the shirt. These sleeves do not attach to the shirt. They just fit on your arms. The shirt is made of a “Highly breathable ZnO SUNTECT® cotton/viscose from bamboo/spandex blend”. Each of the colors available comes with complimentary colored trim at the collar and embroidered logo.

IMG_1029.jpg

Overall, I like the colors on the Apple/Harbor Blue model that I received to review. I found the fit true to size though definitely more fitted on the torso than not. My only critique is that the color could really use a third button. With only one button secured, the neck is a bit too open for my tastes. As a result I played with it totally buttoned up. This is likely better for sun protection anyway. During play, I did not even remember that it was buttoned all the way up though.

IMG_1030.jpg

The Fairway Golf Hat is not my usual style of golf hat. I wear a baseball style hat, either mesh or solid, but always fitted. As a bald guy, there is nothing worse than the semi-circle of tan on the back of the head that comes from adjustable caps. The Fairway Golf Hat is huge when compared to a baseball style cap, but is light enough that it doesn't feel huge. Being that my head is on the massive side, I went with the XXL. The hat fit, albeit snugly. Upon further investigation, it is the interior sweatband that is a bit too tight for me. It is elastic, but a bit too constricting. I am planning on some slight thread cutting to see if it can loosen up a bit. It does an excellent job of keeping the hat in place while playing, but perhaps a bit too well. My wife, whose head is far more normal in stature, also thought that the band was too aggressively tight.

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

Style Score: 16/20

Performance (60 Points)

If I like the looks of a putter, I will probably find some way in my head to justify its purchase. However, if I can't hit the hole with it, it will be out the door. Performance is king. So too must it be with the clothing I wear on the course.

Top of the list, I did not get sunburned while using the Coolibar products while playing. I did also use sunscreen like I normally do. So in that area they performed as advertised. Now in all fairness, I normally don't get sunburned on my torso while wearing a shirt, but I have ended up with burned ears while wearing a baseball cap. The gear did as advertised, but maybe not more than a normal golf polo or wide brimmed hat would have done.

Looking at the Coolibar gear as golf gear, I thought that both the shirt and hat performed well on the course. The shirt was non-binding and breathable. I didn't have to hitch at the sleeves before hitting like I have to do with some other shirts. The fit was consistent, even as the round progressed and perspiration increased. The shirt was long enough that it did not become un-tucked during play and looks OK un-tucked should you prefer it that way. As mentioned before, I played with it buttoned all the way up and it did not feel binding at the neck at all.

The sleeves worked as intended, but I did find that they made my arms a bit warmer than I like so they came off after a few holes. They did stay in place though and did not feel constricting. I think that the sleeves may just find a home in the bag as a way to have some instant warmth on cold mornings.

The hat was not quite as solid a performer. Perhaps it was the constriction of the headband, but I though that my head felt warmer than it does when I wear a ball cap. I thought that the straw mesh would provide ample air circulation in the hat, especially combined with the mesh grommets. Whatever airflow and cooling was there was not enough to compensate for the heat generated at the headband. Maybe this is due to my head not really fitting the XXL hat, but based upon my wife's agreement about the tightness of the band, I am not sure it is just my dome at fault.

IMG_1214.jpg

On the plus side, the wide brim was not a hindrance visually at any time. The hat also provided enough visual protection that I was able to play without sunglasses for a few holes without noticing the sun's brightness.

Performance Score: 45/60 (30/30 shirt, 15/30 hat)

Value (20 Points)

I think that the Convertible Golf Polo, and the Fairway Golf Hat will again end up at opposite ends of the point spectrum here. The polos list for $68 each with a promotion for $10 off each if you buy two or more. This seems about normal to me for a golf polo. However, you also get the sleeves with the shirt. Depending upon brand, these sleeves alone can cost around $30. This, in my opinion, makes the shirts an excellent value. The only other thing to consider is how the shirt holds up in the long run. I am not sure if it protects against the sun better than my other golf shirts, but I will definitely keep it in the rotation.

The hat lists for $40, a bit above the average price for the hats offered by Coolibar. Obviously the fit issue effect value for me, but I am also concerned about the longevity based upon the construction materials. It really seems like one mishap could easily destroy this hat. A golf bag rolling on it in a trunk would end this hat for certain. I don't want a hat that fragile. Coolibar's other soft material or packable hats may make a better option when looking for a hat that lasts. These hats are also less expensive than the Fairway Golf model.

IMG_1218.jpg

Value Score: 13/20 (Shirt 10/10, Hat 3/10)

Total Score: 74/100

Summary

Unless the golf that you play is on the Wii in your parents' basement, you need to take precautions about the sun when you play. Wearing a shirt and a hat while you play will help you not get burned. I definitely recommend theConvertible Golf Polo as a fine looking and performing golf shirt with the included sleeves being a real bonus. The Fairway Golf Hat is a wide brimmed hat and as such provides the sun protection that one needs. However, I think that there are better hat options available in the market.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Archived