TESTERS WANTED! ×

Xcaliber shafts

Popeye64

Xcaliber as a company has risen up from a spot that no one was sure they would come back from. But cooking back this year is some amazing designs and a level of looks and quality that is gonna be huge.

First off is an iron shaft that is known as a Rapid Taper design. Right after the grip section it drops down to a very small diameter all the way to the tip. I had been hitting versions of this shaft for a couple of years and this year he has finally perfected his initial vision.

It's truly unique in how it feels coming into the ball and then releasing. A bull whip sensation of sort, is one way to describe it.

But what this shaft has also shown is how well it worked across a broad spectrum of golfer. From pro level swings to low 80s it worked for everyone. It launched high without excessive spin and had fantastic dispersion.

Xcaliber is also launching an Xclusive line. It's a next generation of the shafts he has been offering in the last year. Flexes were tweaked and perfected as well as very strict testing protocols during all levels of production. Plus the graphics are wild. Ion plating is being used and the colors just pop. He has also updated the Tour X iron shaft and that has a red to black translucent coating that still shows the weave of wire mess over graphite.

This is going to be a huge year for them and it's great to see them make such a come back.

It's hard to really capture how good these look in person. As with the rest of the golf world and this Corona virus when these are gonna be available is a little up in the air.

I hope to have some production pieces I can put under torture test soon.

Will be a real struggle to figure out if I will play the Rapid Taper iron or the Updated Tour X in 95 g weight.

I have an email that discusses the new products. I'll see if I can copy and paste it some how. IMG_0965.jpg20200212_170831.jpg20200212_170455.jpg20200212_170446.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Them are some good looking shafts there. Intrigued by the rapid taper design.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Them are some good looking shafts there. Intrigued by the rapid taper design.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I dont have any in hand pictures of one with graphics. From what I've seen these might be a run away hit for them. It's a huge departure from a normal looking shaft so time will tell but I I loved it the second I hit one. The feel through the turf is unique. XC_RT_Xclusiv_Blue-02.jpg

Those are indeed some good looking shafts.  I don't know much about shafts and their performance characteristics, but I like what I see.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

I've used the TourX shafts in my irons for several years now. Glad to see they're not going away. As long as a version is available in the 100 gram range, I'll be very interested in the new shaft. Every Xcaliber shaft I've used has been excellent.

I've used the TourX shafts in my irons for several years now. Glad to see they're not going away. As long as a version is available in the 100 gram range, I'll be very interested in the new shaft. Every Xcaliber shaft I've used has been excellent.
It's just the 85 and the 95 gram versions. The 105s never did well. Years ago I did a head to head with all three with 8 players. The 85 tested best and the 95 had better feel. 105 was just ok.

On 2/29/2020 at 2:19 PM, Popeye64 said:

Not sure which is the final version but you get an idea of the Rapid Taper shapeXC_RT_Xclusiv_3Up.jpg

Very interesting. Anything in heavier weights?

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Very interesting. Anything in heavier weights?
The Tour X line which is a hybrid steel graphite iron shaft comes in a 95g option as well as an 85g. There are heavier versions of the Rapid Tapers being worked on. A 95g and a 105g.
I have not hit one yet but someone else had a Rapid Taper in a hybrid and couldn't shut up about how good it was.

1 hour ago, Popeye64 said:

The Tour X line which is a hybrid steel graphite iron shaft comes in a 95g option as well as an 85g. There are heavier versions of the Rapid Tapers being worked on. A 95g and a 105g.
I have not hit one yet but someone else had a Rapid Taper in a hybrid and couldn't shut up about how good it was.

Cool. I am feeling the urge to leap head first into all graphite shafts. I just want the right one.

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Cool. I am feeling the urge to leap head first into all graphite shafts. I just want the right one.
The graphite shafts of today give up nothing to steel. The play longer and many times are just as accurate. With the lighter weight you pick up swing speed. Plus... the shock absorption through the hands and shoulders really makes a difference.

3 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

The graphite shafts of today give up nothing to steel. The play longer and many times are just as accurate. With the lighter weight you pick up swing speed. Plus... the shock absorption through the hands and shoulders really makes a difference.

I like all of that. I just feel I need some mass. I currently play 130 gram iron shafts. I don’t know that I want to go to 90.

I like all of that. I just feel I need some mass. I currently play 130 gram iron shafts. I don’t know that I want to go to 90.
You would be shocked once you spend some time with them.
Years back I did a shaft experiment with three weights. 85, 95, and a 105g graphite Tour X shafts. I took 8 better players and had them hit all three. To a man they all said they could never play an 85 g shaft. Yet everyone of them had more distance and better dispersion with the 85 g shaft. They were all more than surprised.
Even the pros are starting to play lighter shafts.

Glad to hear they are still out there - I gamed them in my fairway woods a number of years back and hit them great.  Robin Arthur is a legend - haven't heard from him for a while - I know that he's had lots of issues with illness - is he still around and in charge?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Glad to hear they are still out there - I gamed them in my fairway woods a number of years back and hit them great.  Robin Arthur is a legend - haven't heard from him for a while - I know that he's had lots of issues with illness - is he still around and in charge?
Yes he is. Things are going well for him and these new designs are next level. Hoping he has a great year and builds on some amazing design work he already has in place.