Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Kirkland Signature 3-piece?

Has anyone tried or have info on the latest Kirkland Signature 3-piece on sale at Costco right now? I'm in town for a few days and was wondering if I should go pick some up.

imageService.jpeg.276a5f07e79a213d3f83114d804fdf22.jpeg

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

I played that ball a year or so ago when it first came out.  It was OK, not as good as the original 4-piece ball.  MGS did a ball test last  year and it was rated middle of the pack  Good

https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

The new Ksig 4-piece ball bombed, but it is rumored to be coming out again sometime.  Personally, I would chose the MG-C4 for only a few bucks more and wait to see if the new Ksig ball is worth it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Hell, I'd give um a try. What have you got to lose. I've played and still have some of the 4-pc balls they sold originally and liked them a lot. However, I do prefer a 3-pc ball; generally speaking. As long as it has a urethane cover.

Go for it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Have they changed the three-piece ball from the 2018 version that did not do well in the wind?

https://mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-podcast-the-return-of-costcos-kirkland-signature-golf-balls/

Jump to minute 11 to hear Tony talking about the three-piece ball.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

8 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Have they changed the three-piece ball from the 2018 version that did not do well in the wind?

https://mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-podcast-the-return-of-costcos-kirkland-signature-golf-balls/

Jump to minute 11 to hear Tony talking about the three-piece ball.

I don't think so.  Maybe that's why I don't care for it very much.  We have had a lot of wind this past year.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've stopped using these balls. Way too much spin for me, which is consistent with MGS ball testing. It was the HIGHEST spinning ball tested. Not good in the wind and a lot of cases of the ball backing up on the greens.

Still have a few sleeves left but not going to use them (which is a pretty big move considering how "value conscious" I am).

Driver:    Titliest TSi3 - Tensei white stiff
Wood:   PING  G425 LST 14.5* - Tensei orange stiff
Hybrid:   PING  G425 19* - Tensei orange stiff
Irons:    PING i525 - Project X I/O 5.5 - 4-W
Wedges:     Taylormade MG3 52* and HiToe 56* Project X I/O 6.0
Putter:  TM Spider X HYDROBLAST (33", 3* upright)

33 minutes ago, Jim418 said:

I've stopped using these balls. Way too much spin for me, which is consistent with MGS ball testing. It was the HIGHEST spinning ball tested. Not good in the wind and a lot of cases of the ball backing up on the greens.

Still have a few sleeves left but not going to use them (which is a pretty big move considering how "value conscious" I am).

... This mirrors my experience. Just too much spin resulting in poor wind performance, shorter off the tee and curves more on poor swings. 

... That said, the above applies to higher swing speed players with repeatable swings that produce a lot of spin. For the person with a slower swing speed that can benefit from m ore spin, the Kirkland 3 piece is an insane deal at the price. My wife gained 10 yds off the tee because the ball stays in the air longer resulting in more carry. She is pretty straight so the ball moving more left/right isn't a consideration and again, she is not a high spin player. She loves the Kirkland 3 piece.  I bought 4 dozen last summer and she rarely loses balls so she is set for this season. At $25 for 2 dozen, they are certainly a cheap enough experiment if you think more spin might be better for your swing. 

... I would add the Bridgestone RX is supposed to be a good fit for her but it just does not spin enough with her lower swing speed as well as picking her irons and not hitting down and through. She plays bump and run around the green so again, spines not much of a factor for her. Knowing how spin effects your game is a huge factor in maximizing your performance. I think too many slower swing speed players fall in love with the feel of a very soft ball, but they may not spin enough to maximize performance and distance. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I bought a case and used them at the indoor sim.. then played them vs my usual pro v1x. I did not like the sound or feel of them. Plus was consistently seeing better performance in distance, accuracy, chipping and putting in the pro v1x. Hopefully will be on the course in the next 6-8 weeks and will give them another go.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

19 hours ago, chisag said:

For the person with a slower swing speed that can benefit from m ore spin, the Kirkland 3 piece is an insane deal at the price. My wife gained 10 yds off the tee because the ball stays in the air longer resulting in more carry.

That's a really good point. What's her setting speed with a driver?  My youngest settings a driver in the low 70s, so this may be a good option for her. 

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2020 at 1:29 PM, berkeleybob said:

Has anyone tried or have info on the latest Kirkland Signature 3-piece on sale at Costco right now? I'm in town for a few days and was wondering if I should go pick some up.

I picked a box of these up a couple of months ago for around £30 (GBP) here in the UK to replace my previous ball of choice: the Wilson Staff DX2, which I loved playing as as all-round performer. 

These newer Kirklands are a lovely soft ball, which feels beautiful when chipping and putting. 

I'm not 100% sure how great they are when used with driver/woods as I don't get much distance anyway, so can't pass judgement on that front - it's a work in progress. 

One thing I do find is that they discolour very very quickly and are difficult to clean after a round. 

The outer cover seems to rough up and cut up very easily compared to other soft-feel balls I have used in the past. 

I've concluded that these are a really nice feeling ball which I will continue to use as my ball of choice, but am aware that each ball may only last one or two rounds - depending on how many bunkers or muddy puddles I end up in. 

Overall, they're great value, despite not quite living up to the earlier version of the Kirkland Signature ball. 

:wilson_staff_small: D200 Superlight 12° Driver & 15° 3W

:titelist-small: 818 h1 19° & 23° Hybrids

:cleveland-small: CG-16 6i-PW

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 48° GW, 54° SW, 60° LW

:odyssey-small: White Hot 2 ball Putter, 32.5" shaft, Jumbo Odyssey grip

I picked these up in January since they were fairly inexpensive. I have to say I was surprised that they weren't terrible. Honestly, I should have expected them to be ok or better since Kirkland products tend to be pretty good, for the most part. At $30 for 2 dozen I was pleased with the performance. Soft enough to work around the green and performed well off the tee. Its not going to be the best ball out there, but for the value it is a great ball to buy for practice rounds or even just to try to save some money. I don't think you would be disappointed if you buy a box but if you played a Pro V1 or something similar, this is not that.

:cobra-small: F9 9° Driver

:ping-small: G410 14.5° 3 wood

:ping-small: G410 17° Hybrid

:ping-small: i500 4i-UW

:titelist-small: SM8 56° SW

:titelist-small: SM8 60° LW

:cameron-small: Select Squareback 2018 Putter

:Snell: MTB-X Yellow

:Ogio: 2020 Convoy SE Cart bag

:footjoy-small: Tour X

I picked up a two dozen box over the winter, in part because of its reputation as the highest spinning ball.  My line of thought was to try it as a balata alternative in my retro rounds in 2020, if only in spin terms.  It's not going to live up to balata feel, of course.  

Courses not open here yet, so we'll see.  Chipping on basement indoor/outdoor carpet isn't quite the same.  😊

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

I have not liked any of the Kirkland golf balls. Just did not feel right to me. This was same with Nike golf balls. Never found one I liked. I like the TM and Titleist high end balls and that is about it. I do miss the Hogan Apex Black golf ball.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up a box. Figured that give them a try and if they are ok then I will continue to use them. If not they can go in to my Driving Range ball bag.

At our holiday house beside the community hall they have set up the empty field as a driving range. Quite fun really, you hit 20-30 balls then you go for a walk to see if you can find all of them. 🙂

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Used the 3 piece Kirkland ball on the front nine this past weekend, but unfortunately, I had a rather bad front nine, so I found myself not paying attention to the ball as much as I would have.  I did find it worked surprisingly well with driver, in terms of distance, though that comes with the caveat that I'm playing persimmons.  I didn't get a good feel for the short game performance, in part because the nine was so bad; I didn't have the usual array of short game shots.  It *did* stick well on the 60 yard pitch shots that I hit.

Who would have thought it's hard to judge a ball when you hit it OB, or smother it into the trees off the tee and have to punch out?  LOL   Hoping for a better look at it this upcoming weekend.

After seeing comments about it feeling on the firm side, I was a little apprehensive, but I thought the feel was pretty good.  Not to the level of the Duo Pro, of course, but certainly more than acceptable.  

I guess more to come....

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

10 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I did find it worked surprisingly well with driver, in terms of distance, though that comes with the caveat that I'm playing persimmons. 

Sorry for going too far off topic, but I think it's awesome you are playing the persimmons.  Do you find old clubs for bargains or are you finding them in better condition?  Are these steel shafted?

Dave

1 hour ago, dthrog00 said:

Sorry for going too far off topic, but I think it's awesome you are playing the persimmons.  Do you find old clubs for bargains or are you finding them in better condition?  Are these steel shafted?

Dave

Thanks for the kind words.  😊

It's a bit of each.  I got my start in the early 2000s, found a Louisville Smart Driver at 2nd Swing in the Miscellaneous Driver rack.  Enjoyed it, thought it would be fun to get a couple more.  Knew someone on another forum who'd bought a club horde, asked him about buying a couple fairway woods, he sent me 20+ clubs, including a few drivers, for an amazing price.  Off I went.

Since then (15+ years ago), I pick up the odd club here and there, mostly on ebay.  Some are older, but I've lucked in to some nice pieces here and there.  The Orlimars I have in the bag right now were the ultimate lucky find.  Was looking for a persimmon 4w; Brother @deejaid had some new old stock on ebay, I just couldn't let them pass by.

Find I have a lot of fun playing them.  It's more interesting to me than playing gigantor modern sticks.

I picked up a Louisville Golf Tour Classic 2 wood with True Temper TT Lite shaft at Nevada Bob's in Madison for $10 a couple years back, but have only used it for hitting balls at the range.  I think it'd be fun to give it a go on the course, but would need some more practice first to see if I can tame it.

It is interesting this is the Kirkland Signature golf ball thread.  Do you find that you need to use softer golf balls with the persimmon?

Dave

I tend to prefer moderately soft golfballs, but it's largely personal preference.  I don't think it's a necessity.  Louisville Golf used to address this in their FAQ, saying the modern multilayer premium balls are all softer than the rocks that caused issues in Ye Olde Days, so we could all go forth and use whatever premium we cared to.

I don’t find the ball to be as long for me as a pro v1 or tp5 but I love the feel of the ksig around and on the green. Really hard to beat golf ball for a golfer on a budget or a golfer that loses multiple balls a round

I bought 6 dozen of these because it's been so windy in Oklahoma this spring and teeing up ProV1s and losing them was making me a little anxious. 

After 30-40 rounds I've probably had 10 drives that felt like I absolutely nutted them die short, but for the most part I've been pretty happy with them. Haven't found myself making any adjustments in irons regarding distance. 

Driver: Titleist 917 10.5*
3 Wood: Titliest 917
Hybrid: Titleist 818

Irons: Mizuno JPX 850 Forged w/ True Temper XP 115

Wedges: Volkey SM5 M Grind 54° & 58°; 8° bounce

Putter: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Notchback

Grips: Golf Pride MCCPlus4 midsized

Preferred ball: Bridgestone Tour B-RX, ProV 1X

I have a friend that normally plays a PRO V1 and started using the Kirkland this year.  In the past he always hits the ball farther than I do but for some reason we are driving about the same distance this year.  I thought I was getting better but maybe it is the Kirkland ball that he is using.  Not going to say anything to him about this video.  No need to have him switch back to PRO V1.     

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

29 minutes ago, crazygolfnut said:

I have a friend that normally plays a PRO V1 and started using the Kirkland this year.  In the past he always hits the ball farther than I do but for some reason we are driving about the same distance this year.  I thought I was getting better but maybe it is the Kirkland ball that he is using.  Not going to say anything to him about this video.  No need to have him switch back to PRO V1.     

Haha that is savage but I love it. I just shears thought it was in my head that I didn’t hit them quite as far

I picked this ball up from Costco at the end of last year and overall I think it is a great budget ball, if not the best. The distance for me is not as long as my normal TP5x, about 10% shorter from my own observations. Where the ksig shines is around the green. This ball bites and it bites hard. I'm a pretty decent chipper but even I thin the ball sometimes and when that happens, I'm still in a good position to make an up and down. From the bunker, the ksig stops on a dime. Sometimes the spin does have a negative impact on my game, especially from my short irons and full wedge shots. If I want to hit a normal shot from 75-150, I have to compensate with this ball and club up so that I don't spin off the green. The durability of this ball is fairly decent. I can get a whole round in with one ball without much diminished performance (that is if I magically happen not to lose it in 4 hours). Overall, this ball is a buy for the average golfer. At essentially $1/ball, you can't get any better with this kind of performance.

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 9°, Graphite Design AD-DI 6X

Wood: :taylormade-small: M2 15°, F9, TM Reax X flex

3-PW: :taylormade-small: PSi Tour Forged, TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM4 50°, SM7 56°, SM5 62°

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport Select

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X 

Currently have a bunch that I use with my wife. Can confirm that they spin to the moon if you have anywhere near a fast swing speed. My driver is consistently around 3800 with them and the wind kills me. But if you have issues getting the ball in the air, or stopping on the green, they are decent balls for the price for sure.

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 3/1/2020 at 5:29 AM, berkeleybob said:

I found these to be two things: soft and high spin. This causes less distance on drives for me. Preforms well on par 3s. 

A slower speed player would benefit from it more than me. I usually look for lower spin balls. 

USGA tested it at M/H = medium driver spin and high iron spin. Srixon Zstar balls have the same designation. 

And as it has been said, soft=slow.

I wouldn't call them soft.  They're softer than a ZStarXV, or the old Callaway SR balls, certainly, but that's not saying much. 🤔😉

The spin is quite lovely around the greens, but does come with a distance price.  I doubt I'm in the spin territory where merely adding spin is a problem by itself, but I'm also a higher trajectory player.  Adding spin is less good in that case.

Interestingly, I found I actually gained a bit of distance with the KSig3 with mhh persimmon, when I was going for the lower shots.  Which makes sense.

As for soft equaling slow, the effect diminishes as you drop down in swingspeed.  It's a problem when you're something north of 110mph, but not so much beneath that. (yes, I've seen the test 😎)