berkeleybob

Kirkland Signature 3-piece?

Our Sponsors

I don’t find the ball to be as long for me as a pro v1 or tp5 but I love the feel of the ksig around and on the green. Really hard to beat golf ball for a golfer on a budget or a golfer that loses multiple balls a round

It's a good ball for higher handicap (which I am).  What I like about it, is the consistency.  I agree that it does not go as far as a TP5 and does not check up on the green like a Pro-V1, but it works for me. 

• Like 1

I bought 6 dozen of these because it's been so windy in Oklahoma this spring and teeing up ProV1s and losing them was making me a little anxious. 

After 30-40 rounds I've probably had 10 drives that felt like I absolutely nutted them die short, but for the most part I've been pretty happy with them. Haven't found myself making any adjustments in irons regarding distance. 

Driver: Titleist 917 10.5*
3 Wood: Titliest 917
Hybrid: Titleist 818

Irons: Mizuno JPX 850 Forged w/ True Temper XP 115

Wedges: Volkey SM5 M Grind 54° & 58°; 8° bounce

Putter: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Notchback

Grips: Golf Pride MCCPlus4 midsized

Preferred ball: Bridgestone Tour B-RX, ProV 1X

One of my favorite YouTube golf god just did a pretty good review on these balls. Overall seem like a good ball for the price but it does have one minor shortcoming. Hope this helps everyone

• Like 1

I have a friend that normally plays a PRO V1 and started using the Kirkland this year.  In the past he always hits the ball farther than I do but for some reason we are driving about the same distance this year.  I thought I was getting better but maybe it is the Kirkland ball that he is using.  Not going to say anything to him about this video.  No need to have him switch back to PRO V1.     

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver | Ping G410 3 & 5 fairway woods | Titleist 818 H1 4 & 5 hybrids | Titleist 718 AP1 irons | Titleist SM6 52 F & 56M wedges | Rife Mid Mallet 400 putter | Bushnell NEO Ghost GPS | Snell MTB-X yellow / Srixon Q Star Tour yellow ball | GHIN hcp floats between 10 & 14

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

29 minutes ago, crazygolfnut said:

I have a friend that normally plays a PRO V1 and started using the Kirkland this year.  In the past he always hits the ball farther than I do but for some reason we are driving about the same distance this year.  I thought I was getting better but maybe it is the Kirkland ball that he is using.  Not going to say anything to him about this video.  No need to have him switch back to PRO V1.     

Haha that is savage but I love it. I just shears thought it was in my head that I didn’t hit them quite as far

• Like 1

I picked this ball up from Costco at the end of last year and overall I think it is a great budget ball, if not the best. The distance for me is not as long as my normal TP5x, about 10% shorter from my own observations. Where the ksig shines is around the green. This ball bites and it bites hard. I'm a pretty decent chipper but even I thin the ball sometimes and when that happens, I'm still in a good position to make an up and down. From the bunker, the ksig stops on a dime. Sometimes the spin does have a negative impact on my game, especially from my short irons and full wedge shots. If I want to hit a normal shot from 75-150, I have to compensate with this ball and club up so that I don't spin off the green. The durability of this ball is fairly decent. I can get a whole round in with one ball without much diminished performance (that is if I magically happen not to lose it in 4 hours). Overall, this ball is a buy for the average golfer. At essentially $1/ball, you can't get any better with this kind of performance.

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 9°, Graphite Design AD-DI 6X

Wood: :taylormade-small: M2 15°, F9, TM Reax X flex

3-PW: :taylormade-small: PSi Tour Forged, TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM4 50°, SM7 56°, SM5 62°

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport Select

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X 

Currently have a bunch that I use with my wife. Can confirm that they spin to the moon if you have anywhere near a fast swing speed. My driver is consistently around 3800 with them and the wind kills me. But if you have issues getting the ball in the air, or stopping on the green, they are decent balls for the price for sure.

Guest Delete
On 3/1/2020 at 5:29 AM, berkeleybob said:

Has anyone tried or have info on the latest Kirkland Signature 3-piece on sale at Costco right now? I'm in town for a few days and was wondering if I should go pick some up.

imageService.jpeg.276a5f07e79a213d3f83114d804fdf22.jpeg

I found these to be two things: soft and high spin. This causes less distance on drives for me. Preforms well on par 3s. 

A slower speed player would benefit from it more than me. I usually look for lower spin balls. 

USGA tested it at M/H = medium driver spin and high iron spin. Srixon Zstar balls have the same designation. 

And as it has been said, soft=slow.

I wouldn't call them soft.  They're softer than a ZStarXV, or the old Callaway SR balls, certainly, but that's not saying much. 🤔😉

The spin is quite lovely around the greens, but does come with a distance price.  I doubt I'm in the spin territory where merely adding spin is a problem by itself, but I'm also a higher trajectory player.  Adding spin is less good in that case.

Interestingly, I found I actually gained a bit of distance with the KSig3 with mhh persimmon, when I was going for the lower shots.  Which makes sense.

As for soft equaling slow, the effect diminishes as you drop down in swingspeed.  It's a problem when you're something north of 110mph, but not so much beneath that. (yes, I've seen the test 😎)

Cobra King LTD, Aldila ProtoPype 70 S (persimmons occasionally used)
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
2h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, DGS300; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram 1980 Tour Grinds, Dynamic S; 2-PW MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; 1-PW Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S; 2-PW Ram TG-898, Nippon Super Peening Blue X
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60*, 1.05 sole, DGS; Maltby Design 60* 1.05 sole, NV105
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34", round no taper grip
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Pro or FG Tour, or Kirkland Signature 3 pc

On 5/12/2020 at 12:26 AM, DuffDaddyKev said:

Currently have a bunch that I use with my wife. Can confirm that they spin to the moon if you have anywhere near a fast swing speed. My driver is consistently around 3800 with them and the wind kills me. But if you have issues getting the ball in the air, or stopping on the green, they are decent balls for the price for sure.

I agree with this 100% I have trouble with the 3 piece in the wind.  I played a few weeks ago and it was blowing 25-30 mph and in some cases it went straight up into the air and didn't reach the fairway

WITB

Driver: Titleist TS2 10.5º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17º w/ Even Flow

Titleist 816 H1 21º & 25º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Irons (6-PW): Srixon 765 w/ Project X LZ

Wedges: 50º Ping Glide, 54º & 60º PXG 0311

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I've been trying out different balls to find just one to play with.  The Kirkland was good, but it was shorter off the tee.  I hit far enough off the tee that it isn't that big of a deal for me to adjust to.  But what I really didn't like was how fast the cover got cut.  It is referenced in the reviews as well and I can attest to it.  One solid hit with a wedge and you get tracks including some that have the dislodged cover sticking out like a pulled thread.  It did spin a lot around the green though!  I would still play it because it is a great ball for the price, but I was doing enough damage through the course of normal play (no trees/cart paths) that I lost confidence in whether I should still put balls in play. 

Yesterday I did a side by side with a pro v-1, and the Snell MTB-X and Black for 9 holes.  The difference between all three was negligible and I could attribute the difference to my capabilities.  I ended the round by hitting each of the two sleeves of Snells and the pro v-1 twice with full swings from the Volkey SM-8 56* I just bought within the past week - so fresh sharp grooves.  The worst damage to the 6 snells (white balls) was a little bit of discoloration on one.   If you lose a lot of balls the Kirkland is a strong contender.  But I am leaning towards using the Snell Black regularly.  The difference in durability and how often I lose a ball makes the extra cost worth it for me.

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5; Aldila Rouge White 130 MSI 60S

:titelist-small: TS2 15 Deg; Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 70g 

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19 deg; Atmos HB TS 8S

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-gap; C-Taper lite 110S

:vokey-small: SM 8 56 08M and 60 12D

:Snell: MTB Black

Costco KS1

Bushnell Pro XE

I bought one box of these. Only balls I have bought in the last 5 years. I play once or twice a week and make sure I find more balls than I lose every round. I only keep pro v1’s and Bridgestone. I often say finding balls is the best part of my game. With a 9 handicap I didn’t notice a huge difference. Only around the greens could I slightly tell. If I needed more balls I would definitely buy these again as the price is just unbeatable. 

Found one of the Kirkland Signature balls on the golf course Saturday. Played three holes with it and what I noticed was the following. 

Sound off the driver was a sharper click than what I'm used to. Typically play TP5 or ProV1.

No wind or slightly at you back the ball flew long and straight. Into a slight breeze the ball ballooned and distance was shorter than normal. Probably a dimple pattern effect.

Green control was the same as my normal ball choices. Stop and drop with minimal roll out. The ball felt slightly firmer coming off the putter face.

Overall a good choice except on windy days.  

Driver, Ping G400 11* SR Flex

3 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 17*  R Flex

5 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 19* R Flex

Hybrid, Cobra Amp 24* R Flex

Irons, Sub 70 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

Wedges, Cleveland CBX 56* & 60*

Putter, Odyssey Marksman Fang 35"

I'll second the sound comments, I cant stand how they sound coming off the face. I also lost a good 10+ yards off the tee, otherwise they performed well around and on the green.

Found one of the Kirkland Signature balls on the golf course Saturday. Played three holes with it and what I noticed was the following. 
Sound off the driver was a sharper click than what I'm used to. Typically play TP5 or ProV1.
No wind or slightly at you back the ball flew long and straight. Into a slight breeze the ball ballooned and distance was shorter than normal. Probably a dimple pattern effect.
Green control was the same as my normal ball choices. Stop and drop with minimal roll out. The ball felt slightly firmer coming off the putter face.
Overall a good choice except on windy days.  

Sent from my SM-G973U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :adams-small: Super Speedline S - 9.5 Diamana XS 60

3W & 3Hy: :adams-small: Super Speedline S - Stiff

Irons: :taylormade-small: RAC OS II - Stiff -  Standard loft/lie

Wedges::callaway-small: MD3 S-Grind 52, 56

Putter: :wilson-small: Blackjack 206

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1

Bag: :titelist-small: Players 4 Stand Bag

Fort Worth, TX- RH - 10 Handicap

Part of me wants to hit these with my J's Professional Weapon, just to see the results.    🤔

Cobra King LTD, Aldila ProtoPype 70 S (persimmons occasionally used)
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
2h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, DGS300; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram 1980 Tour Grinds, Dynamic S; 2-PW MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; 1-PW Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S; 2-PW Ram TG-898, Nippon Super Peening Blue X
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60*, 1.05 sole, DGS; Maltby Design 60* 1.05 sole, NV105
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34", round no taper grip
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Pro or FG Tour, or Kirkland Signature 3 pc

I have now played 2 rounds with them and for the price they are ok.The  two issues I found is that the cover gets marked quite badly when I hit a short iron which also relates to I generate a lot of back spin. I hit a PW 45 Degree into a par 3, went over the flag by a 1M and it then sucked back almost 5M. When I looked at the ball you could see where the club had hit it.

Also found as expected that they were about 5m shorter with my longer 5> clubs.

But at $1.75 AUD a ball I am happy to grab a new one every round. On Wednesday I played with a Taylormade TP5 and is cut up even worse and they on special are $4.83 each down here.

Will I buy another box, probably not. I still find the Pro V1x to be the best ball for my swing speed.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 48 and 54 Degree Wedges Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

Well this is interesting to read. 

I tried the Kirklands 3 piece last weekend, and I have to admit it was great around the greens. I particularly like how "accurate" I can be from the 60m range where the ball would just stick to the greens so I can play a little more aggressive.

However, I was wondering about the shorter distance though as I have noted my drives seemed to have flew higher and shorter most of the time.  Particularly when it was a head wind.

Went for a gapping session on Monday and found that all my clubs were shorter than what I was expecting using the Kirkland.  Interesting note that I was getting similar spin numbers when I swapped over to a Vice Tour on a full PW shot, and the Vice  I had issues with checking the greens on short games.

Longer clubs are shorter with the kirklands, while shorter clubs up 8i are similar distances.

Driver Ping G410 9* - Tour Stiff shaft
Fairway PING G400 SFT 3 Wood
Hybrids TM M4 3 Hybrid TM M2 4 Hybrid
Irons Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 5-GW Recoil 95 F3 set to 1.5 flat
Wedges  RTX 56* 10  Callaway MD5 60* 10
Putter Evnroll ER-5 32.5"

Superspeed Training Progress 102mph baseline

I picked up a box when they arrived at my local Costco. I've put 3 rounds on them and they are fairly straight, don't really see any loss off driver and putt pretty well.

Best positive I can give is that the ball checks up with no roll out unlike other balls in low/mod price range. Only negative is that it does scuff pretty easy but overall for the price, it's good. Now if they would come out in yellow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Correction on my part... seems like my observations were wrong... the shorter clubs are definitely shorter now with the ball flying a lot higher, and stopping quicker.

Played yesterday in low wind condition, and the kirkland was definitely 1/2 to 1 club shorter.  Changed to an older NXT Tour soft and it was longer and similar height but with a slightly longer run on the green of 1-2m; With a ball flight height of around 30 yards will stop the ball pretty quick 

Driver Ping G410 9* - Tour Stiff shaft
Fairway PING G400 SFT 3 Wood
Hybrids TM M4 3 Hybrid TM M2 4 Hybrid
Irons Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 5-GW Recoil 95 F3 set to 1.5 flat
Wedges  RTX 56* 10  Callaway MD5 60* 10
Putter Evnroll ER-5 32.5"

Superspeed Training Progress 102mph baseline