Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Kirkland Signature 3-piece?

On 5/12/2020 at 12:26 AM, DuffDaddyKev said:

Currently have a bunch that I use with my wife. Can confirm that they spin to the moon if you have anywhere near a fast swing speed. My driver is consistently around 3800 with them and the wind kills me. But if you have issues getting the ball in the air, or stopping on the green, they are decent balls for the price for sure.

I agree with this 100% I have trouble with the 3 piece in the wind.  I played a few weeks ago and it was blowing 25-30 mph and in some cases it went straight up into the air and didn't reach the fairway

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Taylor Made 300 Mini 11.5º w/ Fuji Ventus TR Red

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil

Irons (6-43º): Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I've been trying out different balls to find just one to play with.  The Kirkland was good, but it was shorter off the tee.  I hit far enough off the tee that it isn't that big of a deal for me to adjust to.  But what I really didn't like was how fast the cover got cut.  It is referenced in the reviews as well and I can attest to it.  One solid hit with a wedge and you get tracks including some that have the dislodged cover sticking out like a pulled thread.  It did spin a lot around the green though!  I would still play it because it is a great ball for the price, but I was doing enough damage through the course of normal play (no trees/cart paths) that I lost confidence in whether I should still put balls in play. 

Yesterday I did a side by side with a pro v-1, and the Snell MTB-X and Black for 9 holes.  The difference between all three was negligible and I could attribute the difference to my capabilities.  I ended the round by hitting each of the two sleeves of Snells and the pro v-1 twice with full swings from the Volkey SM-8 56* I just bought within the past week - so fresh sharp grooves.  The worst damage to the 6 snells (white balls) was a little bit of discoloration on one.   If you lose a lot of balls the Kirkland is a strong contender.  But I am leaning towards using the Snell Black regularly.  The difference in durability and how often I lose a ball makes the extra cost worth it for me.

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5; Aldila Rouge White 130 MSI 60S

:titelist-small: TS2 15 Deg; Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 70g 

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19 deg; Atmos HB TS 8S

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-gap; C-Taper lite 110S

:vokey-small: SM 8 56 08M and 60 12D

:Snell: MTB Black

Costco KS1

Bushnell Pro XE

I bought one box of these. Only balls I have bought in the last 5 years. I play once or twice a week and make sure I find more balls than I lose every round. I only keep pro v1’s and Bridgestone. I often say finding balls is the best part of my game. With a 9 handicap I didn’t notice a huge difference. Only around the greens could I slightly tell. If I needed more balls I would definitely buy these again as the price is just unbeatable. 

Found one of the Kirkland Signature balls on the golf course Saturday. Played three holes with it and what I noticed was the following. 

Sound off the driver was a sharper click than what I'm used to. Typically play TP5 or ProV1.

No wind or slightly at you back the ball flew long and straight. Into a slight breeze the ball ballooned and distance was shorter than normal. Probably a dimple pattern effect.

Green control was the same as my normal ball choices. Stop and drop with minimal roll out. The ball felt slightly firmer coming off the putter face.

Overall a good choice except on windy days.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I'll second the sound comments, I cant stand how they sound coming off the face. I also lost a good 10+ yards off the tee, otherwise they performed well around and on the green.

Found one of the Kirkland Signature balls on the golf course Saturday. Played three holes with it and what I noticed was the following. 
Sound off the driver was a sharper click than what I'm used to. Typically play TP5 or ProV1.
No wind or slightly at you back the ball flew long and straight. Into a slight breeze the ball ballooned and distance was shorter than normal. Probably a dimple pattern effect.
Green control was the same as my normal ball choices. Stop and drop with minimal roll out. The ball felt slightly firmer coming off the putter face.
Overall a good choice except on windy days.  

Sent from my SM-G973U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :adams-small: Super Speedline S - 9.5 Diamana XS 60

3W & 3Hy: :adams-small: Super Speedline S - Stiff

Irons: :taylormade-small: RAC OS II - Stiff -  Standard loft/lie

Wedges::callaway-small: MD3 S-Grind 52, 56

Putter: :taylormade-small: TP Ardmore 3 - L Neck

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1X

Bag: :titelist-small: Players 4 Stand Bag

Fort Worth, TX- RH - 10 Handicap

Part of me wants to hit these with my J's Professional Weapon, just to see the results.    🤔

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

I have now played 2 rounds with them and for the price they are ok.The  two issues I found is that the cover gets marked quite badly when I hit a short iron which also relates to I generate a lot of back spin. I hit a PW 45 Degree into a par 3, went over the flag by a 1M and it then sucked back almost 5M. When I looked at the ball you could see where the club had hit it.

Also found as expected that they were about 5m shorter with my longer 5> clubs.

But at $1.75 AUD a ball I am happy to grab a new one every round. On Wednesday I played with a Taylormade TP5 and is cut up even worse and they on special are $4.83 each down here.

Will I buy another box, probably not. I still find the Pro V1x to be the best ball for my swing speed.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is interesting to read. 

I tried the Kirklands 3 piece last weekend, and I have to admit it was great around the greens. I particularly like how "accurate" I can be from the 60m range where the ball would just stick to the greens so I can play a little more aggressive.

However, I was wondering about the shorter distance though as I have noted my drives seemed to have flew higher and shorter most of the time.  Particularly when it was a head wind.

Went for a gapping session on Monday and found that all my clubs were shorter than what I was expecting using the Kirkland.  Interesting note that I was getting similar spin numbers when I swapped over to a Vice Tour on a full PW shot, and the Vice  I had issues with checking the greens on short games.

Longer clubs are shorter with the kirklands, while shorter clubs up 8i are similar distances.

Driver Ping G410 9* - Tour Stiff shaft
Fairway PING G400 SFT 3 Wood
Hybrids TM M4 3 Hybrid TM M2 4 Hybrid
Irons Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 5-GW Recoil 95 F3 set to 1.5 flat
Wedges  RTX 56* 10  Callaway MD5 60* 10
Putter Evnroll ER-5 32.5"

Superspeed Training Progress 102mph baseline

I picked up a box when they arrived at my local Costco. I've put 3 rounds on them and they are fairly straight, don't really see any loss off driver and putt pretty well.

Best positive I can give is that the ball checks up with no roll out unlike other balls in low/mod price range. Only negative is that it does scuff pretty easy but overall for the price, it's good. Now if they would come out in yellow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Correction on my part... seems like my observations were wrong... the shorter clubs are definitely shorter now with the ball flying a lot higher, and stopping quicker.

Played yesterday in low wind condition, and the kirkland was definitely 1/2 to 1 club shorter.  Changed to an older NXT Tour soft and it was longer and similar height but with a slightly longer run on the green of 1-2m; With a ball flight height of around 30 yards will stop the ball pretty quick 

Driver Ping G410 9* - Tour Stiff shaft
Fairway PING G400 SFT 3 Wood
Hybrids TM M4 3 Hybrid TM M2 4 Hybrid
Irons Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 5-GW Recoil 95 F3 set to 1.5 flat
Wedges  RTX 56* 10  Callaway MD5 60* 10
Putter Evnroll ER-5 32.5"

Superspeed Training Progress 102mph baseline

Still a good performer for me. I have switched over to the bridgestone tour b series but I still really like the feel and performance of the kirkland balls and wouldn't hesitate to using them 

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

• 2 weeks later...

Update. I have now played 13 rounds with the Kirkland ball and I have to say I am impressed. Mind you out of the 24 I only have 9-10 left. Lost one in the middle of a fairway last week, that is how wet it has been here in Melbourne.

Pros.
I like the Feel.
I like the Price $1.75 AUD)

Cons
The cover marks easily - mind you I gave 6 to my mate and he does not have that issue. All comes down to swing speed and how you hit your short irons and wedges.
Tendency to spin too much - again all depends on the above.

Will be interesting to see how they perform in Summer.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001