Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Wait for new iron fitting?

theebdk

I recently went through a driver, 3 wood, and hybrid (3 and 4) fitting at Second Swing.  The fitter knows my pro and had a recommendation on how to improve performance.  Shortly after the purchase I took a driver lesson.  Our club recently added a number of Trackman simulators.  The fitting and lesson complemented each other, my pro gave me a few things to look for on Trackman, and I am pleased.  I have gotten the clubs outside and it is a big improvement; longer and more fairways.  Mostly it is the clubs, a little of me.

Anyway, I also need new irons.  I have the Cobra Amp irons from about 8 years ago.  Took another lesson with the Pro on Trackman and he has me trying to come from the inside a bit more.  But I need more practice.  Originally I was thinking about an iron fitting in April but I may want to wait a while.  I have tried the Srixon Z585 and the Mizuno Hot Metal and liked both.  But here is the rub.  If I understand correctly they will both launch new clubs in August/September of this year.  Maybe they will add a hollow body iron to those lines which is all the rage.  I am a 13.6 handicap and play mostly for fun.  Our club is also opening a new range and short game facility so practice will be a little easier.

What would you do?  Should I wait until late summer for new irons in order to improve ball striking and see the new clubs from Srixon and Mizuno?

Keep in mind that every mfg. will always be launching new clubs. That's what they are in business to do. If you plan to only play their latest release... then wait. And then buy their newest clubs each year thereafter. Think about it, the best clubs any of these companies release are always the "best they've ever made!" Always longer and always straighter. LOL What became of the best clubs they've ever made from a few years ago? Are they now crap? Of course not. They're great clubs. It's a fool's errand to chase these guys. 
The only true game changer you'll find is within yourself. Not the latest and greatest equipment.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

You'll always be able to talk yourself out of buying new clubs.  You liked the Mizunos and the Srixons; could you tell if either (or both) are better for your game than the Cobra Amps?  

With that being said, if you have a fitter you trust, I'd look at a wide variety of clubs that he recommends.  There could be a better fit for you out there.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

With irons I highly doubt you could tell the difference between the 585 and the 565 so waiting probably won’t get you anything, even if the marketing department says you’ll gain 10 yards and never miss a green with their revolutionary new clubs. If you’re talking an 8 year gap then yeah, you should see better numbers with something current but year to year or model to model the differences are so small it’s hard to even measure it. I would also bet that there are cases where the older model actually performs better. A driver is a different story. If it was me, I’d focus on finding a club that feels good and that you have confidence in, screw the numbers. Lots of people get caught up in the metrics and end up buying clubs they don’t like, but I play golf because I enjoy it so loving my sticks is much more important to me than saving 0.5 strokes a round.