jlukes

Justin Rose ditching Honma already?

Our Sponsors

Taylormade irons, TaylorMade metalwoods, a few Titleist, Wilson and TaylorMade wedges 

https://www.golf.com/gear/pros-bags/2020/03/05/justin-rose-to-play-bay-hill-without-honma-clubs-in-the-bag/

• Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD BB 6X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

While I doubt he switched bags from yesterday’s practice round to today’s tourney round the article mentions today will be the day to know for sure and that they haven’t hear from the reps yet.

Mark King left several months back so he no longer has that connection. He did sign a mukti year deal but maybe there was an opening to get out based on either clubs not working or Mark being around.

another possibility is he has new irons that aren’t ready yet with Usga. He’s bounced between honma and Tm at the top of the bag.

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

While I doubt he switched bags from yesterday’s practice round to today’s tourney round the article mentions today will be the day to know for sure and that they haven’t hear from the reps yet.

Mark King left several months back so he no longer has that connection. He did sign a mukti year deal but maybe there was an opening to get out based on either clubs not working or Mark being around.

another possibility is he has new irons that aren’t ready yet with Usga. He’s bounced between honma and Tm at the top of the bag.

Yeah, definitely a few things could be at play.  So rare to see a guy like Rose change equipment so drastically with only a month before The Masters

Definitely think Mark King leaving plays a major role in this

• Like 1

Putter ?????

SuperSpeed Forum Tester

Confirmed that Justin Rose is on the course today with the P730s in the bag. Wow

• Like 3

Putter ?????

SuperSpeed Forum Tester

55 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Yeah, definitely a few things could be at play.  So rare to see a guy like Rose change equipment so drastically with only a month before The Masters

Definitely think Mark King leaving plays a major role in this

51 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Confirmed that Justin Rose is on the course today with the P730s in the bag. Wow

It’s crazy considering he did an interview about honma a few weeks back with golf.com. Hard to imagine something changed in that timeframe but one never knows. Looking forward to see what information Wall gets on it

• Like 2

• Like 2

Putter ?????

SuperSpeed Forum Tester

Spoke with Honma Marketing VP Brad Holder this morning - he says they will have no comment until Monday, out of respect for Arnie's tournament, Rose and Honma itself.  As of right now, they won't be doing any interviews, but there will be a statement. 

I"m guessing there's a divorce coming...

• Like 7

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Gotta play with what you're comfortable with. It'll be interesting to see if this was a performance or $$$ thing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

13 minutes ago, revkev said:

A month before the Masters?  This is performance, not money.  For a player like Rose the Masters is worth far more than money.  For that matter the Masters is worth far more money than any endorsement deal at this stage of his career.

This is what I would think is going on.  Endorsement contracts can be voided if they have clauses in them regarding how a player performs.  Notice that Justin Rose has gone MIA since playing Honma.  He was ranked #1 in the world this time last year, and has since nose dived to #13.  Doesn't take a rocket scientist to put 2+2 together on that colossal fail of a club endorsement.

Side note - I read Payne Stewart's biography by his widow, and she mentioned several times how Payne's game suffered when he switched to a brand of golf clubs that he just couldn't hit very well.  He had like a 2 year contract with them, and his game dropped off the map during that time.  That was a different era when an endorsement contract was probably worth a lot more than Payne was making on the course.  But now there is so much money in purses that a player would be foolish to get stuck playing clubs that don't work for them.  That's why I think we've seen a dramatic shift in players playing mixed bags with no endorsement agreement (Brooks Koepka comes to mind).  That gives the player the freedom to play whatever they want, without the chains that come with a club contract.

• Like 5

• :ping-small: G400 Driver, 3 Fairway
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Irons - 18° & 21°
  • :Hogan: Ft. Worth Hi Utility Iron - 24°
  • :callaway-small: Forged Razr X 6-A Wedge irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 54° & 58°
  • :ping-small: Sigma2 Tyne Putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:NX7 Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

15 minutes ago, revkev said:

A month before the Masters?  This is performance, not money.  For a player like Rose the Masters is worth far more than money.  For that matter the Masters is worth far more money than any endorsement deal at this stage of his career.

I agree it’s not about money and if one is going to dump their current clubs going to want you used before the previous switch is about performance. 

He was involved in the design process with Honma. The statement on Monday will probably be somewhat PC on the split and my guess it has to do with Mark King not being there and maybe some friction over how things are done. 

His interview with golf.com was all about honma equipment and his role in the design process and such.

• Like 2

I agree Rev that this isn’t money based however I see it more a personal than performance issue. I just can’t believe Honma could make Homa set of blades and wedges that perform the same as the Taylormades. The fact that they aren’t willing to comment surely means a split is happening though.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

Bob Parsons losing “troops” and now this? Expensive isn’t always better! Shout-out to The Shotgun Start for calling equipment mutiny more than a week ago.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Bob Parsons losing “troops” and now this? Expensive isn’t always better! Shout-out to The Shotgun Start for calling equipment mutiny more than a week ago.

Bob parsons has lost and gained pros since he signed his first one and some probably bigger names than Reavie and Billy Ho.

Its part of doing business and pxg isn’t selling clubs based on who is on staff. 

Equipment mutiny if there is one started when Nike left the business and several of their guys are still without deals or rode out a year or two with no deal. Not to mention that ping has changed their business model on tour bags recently it’s not really a mutiny. 

Bob parsons has lost and gained pros since he signed his first one and some probably bigger names than Reavie and Billy Ho.
Its part of doing business and pxg isn’t selling clubs based on who is on staff. 

Equipment mutiny if there is one started when Nike left the business and several of their guys are still without deals or rode out a year or two with no deal. Not to mention that ping has changed their business model on tour bags recently it’s not really a mutiny. 

Having players come and go is part and parcel with every equipment manufacturer. The “mutiny” is in the fact that it rarely happens mid-contract. Which is why it is so newsworthy with Billy Horschel, Chez Reavie and Justin Rose!

Speaking of sponsorship deals, Scott Piercy has lost Titleist, J Lindeberg, MGM and Segra since his recent social media stupidity. Perfect time for Reynolds Wrap to jump on board since Piercy’s hat is now sans logo!

• Like 1

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Having players come and go is part and parcel with every equipment manufacturer. The “mutiny” is in the fact that it rarely happens mid-contract. Which is why it is so newsworthy with Billy Horschel, Chez Reavie and Justin Rose!

We don’t know the contract language in any of their deals and we may or may not find out do there was any for Rose. Horschel has been with pxg for 5 years give or take and could easily have been at the end or near end of his deal. 

It’s not exactly new territory. Reed left Nike in 2012 or 13 during his contact and signed immediacy with Callaway iirc...maybe a little time after Nike but it wasn’t long. 

6 hours ago, jlukes said:

... These guys are unreal. I remember Tiger dropping 4 feet further back at Augusta because he didn't think he could get it closer, he knew he could get it closer. I have had yardage I am more comfortable hitting like 105 instead of 107 because I know 105 is my max stock SW yardage. Of course there is no guarantee I will hit it 105 because I can easily hit it 102 or 107 instead of 105 taking what seems like the exact same swing. Yet for the really elite ball strikers on tour, 1 yard either way is doable. I saw Annika do an exhibition and when asked how far she hit her wedge to a green she was hitting to for several shots she replied "1 went 128 and 2 went 126 but the rest went 127". 

... I can't imagine getting new irons and not having confidence in that 1 yard. The difference between a scratch player and a Tour Pro is monumental of course. But the difference between a scratch player and an elite ball striker tour is really a completely different game. Evidently Rose does not have the same confidence in his Honma's as he does in his 730's. 

• Like 5

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Atmos TS Blue 6s
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 7s
Utility:   TaylorMade UDi 18*  ... HZRDUS Black 6.0 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x