Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Justin Rose ditching Honma already?

null

While I doubt he switched bags from yesterday’s practice round to today’s tourney round the article mentions today will be the day to know for sure and that they haven’t hear from the reps yet.

Mark King left several months back so he no longer has that connection. He did sign a mukti year deal but maybe there was an opening to get out based on either clubs not working or Mark being around.

another possibility is he has new irons that aren’t ready yet with Usga. He’s bounced between honma and Tm at the top of the bag.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

While I doubt he switched bags from yesterday’s practice round to today’s tourney round the article mentions today will be the day to know for sure and that they haven’t hear from the reps yet.

Mark King left several months back so he no longer has that connection. He did sign a mukti year deal but maybe there was an opening to get out based on either clubs not working or Mark being around.

another possibility is he has new irons that aren’t ready yet with Usga. He’s bounced between honma and Tm at the top of the bag.

Yeah, definitely a few things could be at play.  So rare to see a guy like Rose change equipment so drastically with only a month before The Masters

Definitely think Mark King leaving plays a major role in this

55 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Yeah, definitely a few things could be at play.  So rare to see a guy like Rose change equipment so drastically with only a month before The Masters

Definitely think Mark King leaving plays a major role in this

51 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Confirmed that Justin Rose is on the course today with the P730s in the bag. Wow

It’s crazy considering he did an interview about honma a few weeks back with golf.com. Hard to imagine something changed in that timeframe but one never knows. Looking forward to see what information Wall gets on it

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

This is what changed...download%20(2).jpeg

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Spoke with Honma Marketing VP Brad Holder this morning - he says they will have no comment until Monday, out of respect for Arnie's tournament, Rose and Honma itself.  As of right now, they won't be doing any interviews, but there will be a statement. 

I"m guessing there's a divorce coming...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Gotta play with what you're comfortable with. It'll be interesting to see if this was a performance or $$$ thing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

13 minutes ago, revkev said:

A month before the Masters?  This is performance, not money.  For a player like Rose the Masters is worth far more than money.  For that matter the Masters is worth far more money than any endorsement deal at this stage of his career.

This is what I would think is going on.  Endorsement contracts can be voided if they have clauses in them regarding how a player performs.  Notice that Justin Rose has gone MIA since playing Honma.  He was ranked #1 in the world this time last year, and has since nose dived to #13.  Doesn't take a rocket scientist to put 2+2 together on that colossal fail of a club endorsement.

Side note - I read Payne Stewart's biography by his widow, and she mentioned several times how Payne's game suffered when he switched to a brand of golf clubs that he just couldn't hit very well.  He had like a 2 year contract with them, and his game dropped off the map during that time.  That was a different era when an endorsement contract was probably worth a lot more than Payne was making on the course.  But now there is so much money in purses that a player would be foolish to get stuck playing clubs that don't work for them.  That's why I think we've seen a dramatic shift in players playing mixed bags with no endorsement agreement (Brooks Koepka comes to mind).  That gives the player the freedom to play whatever they want, without the chains that come with a club contract.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

15 minutes ago, revkev said:

A month before the Masters?  This is performance, not money.  For a player like Rose the Masters is worth far more than money.  For that matter the Masters is worth far more money than any endorsement deal at this stage of his career.

I agree it’s not about money and if one is going to dump their current clubs going to want you used before the previous switch is about performance. 

He was involved in the design process with Honma. The statement on Monday will probably be somewhat PC on the split and my guess it has to do with Mark King not being there and maybe some friction over how things are done. 

His interview with golf.com was all about honma equipment and his role in the design process and such.

I agree Rev that this isn’t money based however I see it more a personal than performance issue. I just can’t believe Honma could make Homa set of blades and wedges that perform the same as the Taylormades. The fact that they aren’t willing to comment surely means a split is happening though.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

18 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Bob Parsons losing “troops” and now this? Expensive isn’t always better! Shout-out to The Shotgun Start for calling equipment mutiny more than a week ago.

Bob parsons has lost and gained pros since he signed his first one and some probably bigger names than Reavie and Billy Ho.

Its part of doing business and pxg isn’t selling clubs based on who is on staff. 

Equipment mutiny if there is one started when Nike left the business and several of their guys are still without deals or rode out a year or two with no deal. Not to mention that ping has changed their business model on tour bags recently it’s not really a mutiny. 

Bob parsons has lost and gained pros since he signed his first one and some probably bigger names than Reavie and Billy Ho.
Its part of doing business and pxg isn’t selling clubs based on who is on staff. 

Equipment mutiny if there is one started when Nike left the business and several of their guys are still without deals or rode out a year or two with no deal. Not to mention that ping has changed their business model on tour bags recently it’s not really a mutiny. 

Having players come and go is part and parcel with every equipment manufacturer. The “mutiny” is in the fact that it rarely happens mid-contract. Which is why it is so newsworthy with Billy Horschel, Chez Reavie and Justin Rose!

Speaking of sponsorship deals, Scott Piercy has lost Titleist, J Lindeberg, MGM and Segra since his recent social media stupidity. Perfect time for Reynolds Wrap to jump on board since Piercy’s hat is now sans logo!

59 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Having players come and go is part and parcel with every equipment manufacturer. The “mutiny” is in the fact that it rarely happens mid-contract. Which is why it is so newsworthy with Billy Horschel, Chez Reavie and Justin Rose!

We don’t know the contract language in any of their deals and we may or may not find out do there was any for Rose. Horschel has been with pxg for 5 years give or take and could easily have been at the end or near end of his deal. 

It’s not exactly new territory. Reed left Nike in 2012 or 13 during his contact and signed immediacy with Callaway iirc...maybe a little time after Nike but it wasn’t long. 

6 hours ago, jlukes said:

Confirmed that Justin Rose is on the course today with the P730s in the bag. Wow

... These guys are unreal. I remember Tiger dropping 4 feet further back at Augusta because he didn't think he could get it closer, he knew he could get it closer. I have had yardage I am more comfortable hitting like 105 instead of 107 because I know 105 is my max stock SW yardage. Of course there is no guarantee I will hit it 105 because I can easily hit it 102 or 107 instead of 105 taking what seems like the exact same swing. Yet for the really elite ball strikers on tour, 1 yard either way is doable. I saw Annika do an exhibition and when asked how far she hit her wedge to a green she was hitting to for several shots she replied "1 went 128 and 2 went 126 but the rest went 127". 

... I can't imagine getting new irons and not having confidence in that 1 yard. The difference between a scratch player and a Tour Pro is monumental of course. But the difference between a scratch player and an elite ball striker tour is really a completely different game. Evidently Rose does not have the same confidence in his Honma's as he does in his 730's. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

We don’t know the contract language in any of their deals and we may or may not find out do there was any for Rose. Horschel has been with pxg for 5 years give or take and could easily have been at the end or near end of his deal.  It’s not exactly new territory. Reed left Nike in 2012 or 13 during his contact and signed immediacy with Callaway iirc...maybe a little time after Nike but it wasn’t long. 

Except, we do know Horschel and Reavie walked away mid-contract because PXG fired their lead designer. It’s been widely reported.

Given Rose signed a multi year contract last year with Honma to play a minimum of 10 clubs, it seems evident a split has happened prior to the end of that contract.

Leaving at the end of a contract for another equipment manufacturer isn’t new ground. Leaving well ahead of a contract expiring is absolutely new ground and very newsworthy!

https://www.golf.com/gear/2020/03/04/pxg-loses-billy-horschel-chex-reavie-after-staff-shakeup/

Horschel and Reavie both left because PXG parted ways with the director of tour player relations, Matt Rollins. Rollins was instrumental in bringing both into PXG's tour staff so they left for the professional relationship. Had nothing to do with the clubs.

These guys are good enough to play well with anything, and the equipment today is all so good that the professional relationships with OEMs are often more important to the player than anything else.

We don’t know the contract language in any of their deals and we may or may not find out do there was any for Rose. Horschel has been with pxg for 5 years give or take and could easily have been at the end or near end of his deal. 
It’s not exactly new territory. Reed left Nike in 2012 or 13 during his contact and signed immediacy with Callaway iirc...maybe a little time after Nike but it wasn’t long. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

I had a conversation with the Honma rep on this when I did my fitting over a week ago. Rose, per the Tour rep, switched the driver last tourney because he only missed one fairway with the SIM in a practice round, then he proceeded to miss the majority of fairways with it in-play.
Let’s not forget that Rose either won his first tournament after the switch, or within just a couple weeks. There is more going on with Justin Rose and his personal life than what’s in public view.
Maybe going back to a “trusted” brand will help the mental side, but keep in-mind, with Tour Pros, when things go South, they blame two things right off the bat: the caddie, and the equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Curious to see how J Rose plays this week/weekend with the TM setup.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I had a conversation with the Honma rep on this when I did my fitting over a week ago. Rose, per the Tour rep, switched the driver last tourney because he only missed one fairway with the SIM in a practice round, then he proceeded to miss the majority of fairways with it in-play.
Let’s not forget that Rose either won his first tournament after the switch, or within just a couple weeks. There is more going on with Justin Rose and his personal life than what’s in public view.
Maybe going back to a “trusted” brand will help the mental side, but keep in-mind, with Tour Pros, when things go South, they blame two things right off the bat: the caddie, and the equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m not suggesting Rose is leaving because of superior or inferior equipment. But he is definitely leaving prior to the end of the Honma deal he signed at the beginning of last season.

I have tested the Honma TW747 driver and the Rose Protos... And quality is a non issue. My only wish was that Honma offered more stock shafts in the TW747 or else it would have stayed in the bag.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

1 hour ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Horschel and Reavie both left because PXG parted ways with the director of tour player relations, Matt Rollins. Rollins was instrumental in bringing both into PXG's tour staff so they left for the professional relationship. Had nothing to do with the clubs.

These guys are good enough to play well with anything, and the equipment today is all so good that the professional relationships with OEMs are often more important to the player than anything else.

My not disputing that’s why they left. Was saying them bolting in their middle of their contracts or being let go isn’t new and that we don’t know the language in their contracts. Depending on the legal aspects they can’t just walk away from a binding deal. They either had to give something up and/or when they voiced their displeasure they were released. 

also stating they aren’t the first ones to do it mid deal.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

I’m not suggesting Rose is leaving because of superior or inferior equipment. But he is definitely leaving prior to the end of the Honma deal he signed at the beginning of last season.

Wasn’t saying you were and we agree he’s leaving mid deal. We just don’t know and may not know if there was any language that allows it or the two sides came to some sort of agreement based on differences 

Doesn't seem like we'll be getting any clarity to this situation any time soon.

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX