TESTERS WANTED! ×

Stamping Magnet

So I've gotten into stamping ball markers and I did some random wedges and some custom Central Michigan ones for my cousin.  I read the article on golf digest (https://www.golf.com/gear/wedges/2019/10/02/callaway-wedge-artist-anthony-taranto-secrets-customize-clubs/) and I saw that it mentioned a magnetic anvil or at least a very large magnet.  I went to the website mentioned and I saw nothing that looked like the picture or matched the desciption.  Obviously, I'm not trying to break the bank here, but does anyone have any suggestions or ideas to make or get the magnetic anvil?  I currently use a 1" stainless steel plate as my anvil from clubstamping.com.  

Here's a little bit of the handiwork so far.  The wedges got a final acetone wipe to clean them up.  Also, digging out the paint in those small areas was a pain in the ass.  A small needle seemed to work best, but the scratches bothered me. So any helpful tips, tricks, etc. would be most welcome! Thanks! 

IMG_4638%5B1%5D.jpg

IMG_4639%5B1%5D.jpg

IMG_4640%5B1%5D.jpg

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

For the paint fill did you try soaking it in something like Tal strip or Citristrip?  I usually coat that on and then let it soak.  For the tiny spots use an old toothbrush or a toothpick.  If you want to avoid scratches stay away from sharp metal.  I have one of my kids old battery toothbrushes that seems to work pretty good at hitting the tiny spots.

I haven't seen anything about a magnetic vise and also couldn't find much online in the 2 mins I searched for it.  I primarily use Copper, Brass and Aluminum for stamping.  Ball marks and ball mark repair tools.  Since none of those metals are magnetic I've never looked in to it.  I use a piece of rail road track as an anvil and if I really don't want the piece to move around I'll just use gorilla tape and make a circle with the sticky side out and tape it down.

If you really get in to wedges you need one of these from Ricky Johnson!

https://rickyjohnsonputters.com/product/rjcp-wedge-anvil-pro/

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

8 minutes ago, hckymeyer said:

For the paint fill did you try soaking it in something like Tal strip or Citristrip?  I usually coat that on and then let it soak.  For the tiny spots use an old toothbrush or a toothpick.  If you want to avoid scratches stay away from sharp metal.  I have one of my kids old battery toothbrushes that seems to work pretty good at hitting the tiny spots.

I haven't seen anything about a magnetic vise and also couldn't find much online in the 2 mins I searched for it.  I primarily use Copper, Brass and Aluminum for stamping.  Ball marks and ball mark repair tools.  Since none of those metals are magnetic I've never looked in to it.  I use a piece of rail road track as an anvil and if I really don't want the piece to move around I'll just use gorilla tape and make a circle with the sticky side out and tape it down.

If you really get in to wedges you need one of these from Ricky Johnson!

https://rickyjohnsonputters.com/product/rjcp-wedge-anvil-pro/

I've seen the Ricky Johnson thing before, but I definitely won't do enough of them to justify the $300 price tag.  I used acetone and citrustrip.  I tried toothpicks and a toothbrush. Maybe I just didn't leave it on long enough. How long do you leave it on for?  

Probably 5-10 mins, but it's been a while.  If it's real bad you can try the back side of an X-Acto knife.  We use those a lot at work to remove stubborn paint.  It will still scratch if you hit metal but it works pretty well.  

You can also try filing down the handle side of the tooth brush to a point.  The plastic point should still give you a rigid point, but less likely to scratch the metal.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

For the magnetic anvil, I believe your looking for an electric magnet. Looks like block of steel with a switch on the side. Easy to make too. They can take a beating.

Try double sided tape, works very well (4 bucks). Just stick it to your anvil, place the club on top.

Nice job on the wedges⛳👍🇺🇸

For the magnetic anvil, I believe your looking for an electric magnet. Looks like block of steel with a switch on the side. Easy to make too. They can take a beating.
Try double sided tape, works very well (4 bucks). Just stick it to your anvil, place the club on top.
Nice job on the wedges

Thanks! Any suggestions on how to make it or where to find materials?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

3 hours ago, Rtracymog said:

Thanks! Any suggestions on how to make it or where to find materials?

Reach out to a company called MagSwitch tell them what you are looking for.

IMO, best way to stamp hard steel base with club head removed from shaft. Use double sided tape on steel base stick club head to tape. I never have had any issue just don't hit the stamp to hard. Practice on some junk clubs, salvation army etc.

Have fun ....Good stamping.

🇺🇸👍⛳

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a high powered magnet, go to a scrap yard or a pawn shop or antique store and find an old microwave from the 80’s or early 90’s. The magnets in those are what lots of the vans use and they cost virtually nothing. All the fancy contraptions and devices and an old microwave magnet works better than all of them.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Nice job on the wedges

Agree nice job and the dbl sided tape maybe your best bet for an inexpensive jig.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

If you want a high powered magnet, go to a scrap yard or a pawn shop or antique store and find an old microwave from the 80’s or early 90’s. The magnets in those are what lots of the vans use and they cost virtually nothing. All the fancy contraptions and devices and an old microwave magnet works better than all of them.

Thanks for the tip! Can those magnets handle the pounding from the sledge?

• 3 weeks later...