TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sm7 or Sm8

Hey everyone!

i currently play Rtx 4 50 56 60. I just switched over to titleist 620 CB. My current PW is listed at 47 degrees. I’m debating between the Sm7 and Sm8. Just wanted to get some input on what the major differences are? Since price is always a factor, is there any reason to go with the Sm8 while the Sm7s are marked down significantly? Also what wedge composition would you go with since my PW is 47 degrees? Thanks everyone!!

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Irons: 2023 Titleist Black T100 5-PW AMT White S300 Onyx (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

Putter: Bettinardi Wizard Inovai 8.0 Custom with Stability Shaft Tour Black

Ball: 2022 Titleist ProV1x (yellow)

I play sm7 and hit the sm8 at the PDX golf shoe. Looks nice but the rep said there wasnt really a huge diference between the two then rambled off some techy stuff. If the $$$ matters, you wil be good going with the 7s. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

4 hours ago, pulledabill said:

I play sm7 and hit the sm8 at the PDX golf shoe. Looks nice but the rep said there wasnt really a huge diference between the two then rambled off some techy stuff. If the $$$ matters, you wil be good going with the 7s. 

if you were in my shoes what would you do? I have a bunch of trade ins as well but just want to get the best value for the wedges since it is a difference of 40 between the 7 and 8. Thanks! 

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Irons: 2023 Titleist Black T100 5-PW AMT White S300 Onyx (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

Putter: Bettinardi Wizard Inovai 8.0 Custom with Stability Shaft Tour Black

Ball: 2022 Titleist ProV1x (yellow)

11 hours ago, PingMD702 said:

Hey everyone!

i currently play Rtx 4 50 56 60. I just switched over to titleist 620 CB. My current PW is listed at 47 degrees. I’m debating between the Sm7 and Sm8. Just wanted to get some input on what the major differences are? Since price is always a factor, is there any reason to go with the Sm8 while the Sm7s are marked down significantly? Also what wedge composition would you go with since my PW is 47 degrees? Thanks everyone!!

You can read the Vokey page and see what they changed;  mostly CoG movement.    As for which to pick,  have you gone through the wedge fitting on the vokey webpage?   It will probably recommend a 52, 56, 60 set is you say highest loft of 60%.   The other benefit is it will recommend grinds and bounce based on your input.   Ultimately it is up to you to hit those clubs and make sure you fill the appropriate gaps.   It is fine to put a 52 in the bag,  but if you have a 25 yard gap between the PW and GW you may want something in the 50-51 range.      As for the 7 vs 8,  you need to figure out if the price difference is worth it, for me no,   but I am cheap and play 5+ year old wedges that I bought used 🙂

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 hours ago, PingMD702 said:

if you were in my shoes what would you do? I have a bunch of trade ins as well but just want to get the best value for the wedges since it is a difference of 40 between the 7 and 8. Thanks! 

I'm a bit tight with money in terms of how much I will pay for clubs. I am looking to update my gaps a touch so I am shopping for SM7 as they are much cheaper than the 8's. 

Hit them both and  weigh the value for you. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

You can read the Vokey page and see what they changed;  mostly CoG movement.    As for which to pick,  have you gone through the wedge fitting on the vokey webpage?   It will probably recommend a 52, 56, 60 set is you say highest loft of 60%.   The other benefit is it will recommend grinds and bounce based on your input.   Ultimately it is up to you to hit those clubs and make sure you fill the appropriate gaps.   It is fine to put a 52 in the bag,  but if you have a 25 yard gap between the PW and GW you may want something in the 50-51 range.      As for the 7 vs 8,  you need to figure out if the price difference is worth it, for me no,   but I am cheap and play 5+ year old wedges that I bought used 🙂

Perfect response 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Exactly.

I play SM7s, I've played RTX 588s and RTX . Vokeys blow them away. Funny thing about wedges, (or any clubs for that matter) I had a friend who was a scratch golfer, Monday qualified for our local PGA event. We were playing in a scramble and were 15yrds off the green (his drive, par 4). We all pulled our wedges out. I remember bitching to him about the new groove rules when they took effect. He said yeah, I had to go buy new wedges just to qualify. I said "Didn't it suck?" He said "No not at all! I actually played better with them ( C-Cs ). They play exactly like the ones I grew up learning to play with." Then he chipped his ball, it bounced three times and rolled in the hole. He just looked back at me, smiled and said "See?" What I learned that day was knowing what you can do with the club (with confidence) usually outweighs any other considerations. 

On a side note, My son (who told me to put vokeys in my bag and is a magician with wedges) games two SM6s and two SM7s( He won the SM7s). I said to him "You gonna get the new SM8s?! They look awesome!  He just chuckled and said, " Why would I do that?"  I just stood there in silence and thought...Why indeed...Why indeed? 

Driver: :cobra-small:F9 w/Hzrdous smoke black

3wood: :callaway-small: Epic 13.5* w/ smoke blue

4wood: :callaway-small: Xr 17*  

3Hybrid: :callaway-small: Xr 19*

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex 16 (4 - A)

wedges::vokey-small: SM7 52,54

Putter: :cameron-small: fastback,  SWAG Savage Too

@rogerfloresart on instagram

IIRC, the SM7 already have the progressive CoG, so not sure how much they changed in the SM8... might just be recycled marketing stuff.

I got the SM7 and love them. I usually wait about 2 product cycles to buy the latest release.

If you can find the SM7 on sale and matching your specs (shaft, grind, etc.), I would choose those.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I always purchase the previous years model in a driver, fairway wood and wedges.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

If it were me, I'd save the money and buy SM7 while you still have plenty of options for grind, bounce, and finish. As @cnosil stated, the primary difference between the two is CG location, which is something that you wouldn't likely notice during play. With a PW of 47*, you could go either way - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 56, 60. 1-degree of loft typically equates to about 2-3 yards. So again, not something I think you'd notice too much out on the course. Personally, I'd opt for the 52, 56, 60 setup and make sure I have a nice variety of grinds and bounces. I'd go F grind with 8 degrees for the GW, S grind with 14 degrees for the SW, and D grind with 12 degrees for the LW. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

• 9 months later...

I was gifted a SM7 54* M grind a few months ago.  One of the things that I really like about it is that I now have more confidence around the green particular from thin lies which used to scare me.  I used to have a smart sole 2.0 which has a lot of bounce.  

The SM8 58* S Grind that I just purchased has a noticeable difference in feel from the SM7.  The SM8 just feels like it has a bigger face and heavier overall.  Hitting some shots yesterday around the green, the SM8 just feels like I've got more club in my hands which I don't like as much.  However, hitting full shots from 75-80 yards out, I might actually prefer the feel of the SM8 over the SM7, but just not close around the green.  I was not expecting this.  I don't really want two wedges that play (feel) this different.

Any thoughts on this?

Spitzer RL150 Electric/Remote Push Cart

Driver: TaylorMade M2

Hybrids: TaylorMade(3-6)

Irons: TaylorMade(5-AW)

Putter: Odyssey Works #1

I paid $119 for these babies that came on Sunday. I wish I had bought them 2 years ago as my test round with them (hitting 3 balls with each for 9 holes) went great and I have extreme confidence from the distances I’ll hit these clubs from. Maybe I’m cheap but I can’t justify the price of an SM8 when these SM7s are so good. They are the best wedges I’ve ever owned and it’s not even close. 

0D705498-42FD-413C-BE92-9F268AED3BEE.jpeg

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS