TESTERS WANTED! ×

New Irons...

LeftyRM7

I’ve been thinking about making a change for a while now and I plan on getting fit for some irons this spring. That being said, I’m looking for suggestions on a good set of irons that is forgiving but not loft jacked. I hit my current 5/6 iron(Callaway XRos)about the same distance, so I don’t believe a few degrees less loft will help matters. I’ve demoed a few Mizunos over the last few years and they’re at the top of my list. I really like the loft gapping idea of the Ben Hogans so I’ve ordered their demo Edges to try. The only other set that stands out to me is the Srixon 585s. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likely not helpful but why would you limit yourself to a couple specific brands?
Set up a fitting and go into it with a willingness to try everything regardless if it’s loft jacked or other. There seems to be a trend of using GI long irons then going to the more player performance short irons. You get the distance/forgiveness in the longs and the feel/accuracy in the scoring club’s.
I’m constantly tinkering with my clubs, I’ve actually already been fit twice this year for new irons, the set I bought in Jan i liked a lot but after seeing reviews for the new gear that is out ( mavrik, Ping, Taylormade) I went yesterday and did a full on fitting again and ended up selling them my 2 month old clubs and buying a new set of Mavrik’s. The performance, accuracy was to much to ignore.
Sorry to ramble but set up a fitting , go into it with an open mind and get fit for the best possible set up of irons, it’s a big investment. My 2 cents. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I believe you have to have some idea and direction of what you do/don’t want. It’s impossible to “try everything”, that’s how you end up back in 2 months buying another set...

I’d say about 6 different heads would be plenty. No reason to try something I have no interest in buying. I have an idea of what I want and I give the fitter room for suggestions. Still have to work on shafts and make spec adjustments and figure out set makeup. It’s just not possible to go in and get all that done in 60 minutes without knowing what you want going into it. Pretty quickly it would turn into a demo session, which you could do for free at a big box store. That’s a good place to start to narrow your search though.

I believe you have to have some idea and direction of what you do/don’t want. It’s impossible to “try everything”, that’s how you end up back in 2 months buying another set...

I’d say about 6 different heads would be plenty. No reason to try something I have no interest in buying. I have an idea of what I want and I give the fitter room for suggestions. Still have to work on shafts and make spec adjustments and figure out set makeup. It’s just not possible to go in and get all that done in 60 minutes without knowing what you want going into it. Pretty quickly it would turn into a demo session, which you could do for free at a big box store. That’s a good place to start to narrow your search though.

“Trying everything” doesn’t necessarily have to mean “hitting” everything. The place you are getting fit can’t realistically have every iron available to hit However looking at all of the ones they do is a good idea. Even if that only means putting them in the address position or taking one swing with them. One look or swing can eliminate a club without taking up too much of the fitting time.
The question you need to ask yourself about your fitting is simple
Do I want the best clubs for me or do I want the best performance out of the clubs I like?
The answer to that question will tell you how to proceed with your fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

... As a 20 index we have no idea of your ball striking skill or exactly what kind of iron you should be looking at. Tough to ask for suggestions when you narrow down the choices to a few OEMs that may or may not have irons that fit what you are looking for. Every OEM makes great irons, it just depends on ability and personal preference. You mentioned 585's and there are Cobra Forged Tecs, Callaway Apex and Mavrik Pro's, Mizuno JPX 919 HM's, TM P790's, Wilson D7's, Titleist T200's and Ping i500's just to name a few that are similar. And that is just Players Distance Irons. As a 20 index you might need Game Improvement Irons or maybe ready to move up to Players Irons. 

... I remember when I started playing MP33's and thought they would be even better with a slightly thinner top line. I found out Darren Clark had his MP33's made special with a thicker top line because he just liked his irons to look that way. So you can see it is almost impossible to pick an iron for someone else without having some parameters to go by. So maybe go to a golf store and tell us what you liked, then maybe we can give some suggestions based on our personal experience. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I agree that by the time you go in for a 60 minute fitting you need some sense of what you want.  Game improvement, players distance etc.  You should tell the fitter your price point so they won't put you into a shaft that moves the set out of your range.

That said, if you can find a quality fitter your trust then you should take advantage of their expertise.  I was just fitted for the Cobra Forged TEC, a player's distance iron similar to the 585.  It was not a club I planed on trying until the fitter put it in my hand.  Ended up being my best fit.  

Hey Lefty. I am about a 17, going higher I fear. Whatever you choose to do, I strongly recommend getting properly fit for your new clubs. A good fitter can dial you in pretty nicely, especially in terms of the combination of heads and shafts. I had never been properly fit for irons until last September, when I bought a set of Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metals after extensive testing over several months. I have found that I can hit them fairly well, and that the KBS C-taper LIte shaft worked for me.

Then, in December I had a chance to buy a barely used set of Hogan Ft. Worth Blacks with UST/Mamiya Recoil graphite shafts (F3) at a great price and jumped at it. We winter in New Zealand so I brought them down here and have been playing them two or three times a week. I have been pleasantly surprised at how forgiving they are given that they are pretty "bladey". They are traditionally lofted (7 iron is 34 degrees) versus the Hot Metals which are jacked (7 iron is 30 degrees). Yet the Hogans are, if anything, a bit longer club for club. I will be leaving the Hogans here and switching back to the Mizunos when we return home in April.

Bottom line, I think you should invest the time necessary to find a club (and shaft) that are best suited to you. For me both Mizuno and Hogan are a big step up. Both companies make quality products. When I spoke with Hogan during my initial search for new irons, they recommended the Edge model so that might also be the best bet for you as a 20 HI. But my experience with the Ft. Worth Blacks has been a pleasant surprise. 

FWIW, I like the technology of the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer for narrowing the choice of shafts, but I insisted that we do five sets of three swings with the MSO. I have professionally worked with data for 45 years and wasn't ready to accept that one set of three swings was sufficient, especially given the inherent inconsistency of my swing. The KBS shafts showed up as the preferred option in three of the five sets of three swings, so that is what I went with. The UST/Mamiya shafts were a shot in the dark that happened to work out. Both the KBS and UST shafts are "regular" flex, for whatever that is worth. 

I agree that by the time you go in for a 60 minute fitting you need some sense of what you want.  Game improvement, players distance etc.  You should tell the fitter your price point so they won't put you into a shaft that moves the set out of your range.
That said, if you can find a quality fitter your trust then you should take advantage of their expertise.  I was just fitted for the Cobra Forged TEC, a player's distance iron similar to the 585.  It was not a club I planed on trying until the fitter put it in my hand.  Ended up being my best fit.  

Yes, thanks for the input, I just put the Forged TEC on my list. Im looking more toward the players distance category now. I just don’t get the loft jacking of the GIs, not for me. Plus I want something I can grow into as I get better. Just booked my fitting for the end of the month, that gives me a few weeks to demo more on my list to get a better idea. Glad to see it’s actually 90 minutes, not 60. Same fitter I used last year for my putter.

I just don’t see how anyone could go into a fitting without some idea of what they want and a “short list” of what they want to test. Looking at clubs to get the looks and feel seems like a giant waste of time when you’re paying for it. I’m there for the data and expertise of the fitter.

Hey Lefty. I am about a 17, going higher I fear. Whatever you choose to do, I strongly recommend getting properly fit for your new clubs. A good fitter can dial you in pretty nicely, especially in terms of the combination of heads and shafts. I had never been properly fit for irons until last September, when I bought a set of Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metals after extensive testing over several months. I have found that I can hit them fairly well, and that the KBS C-taper LIte shaft worked for me.
Then, in December I had a chance to buy a barely used set of Hogan Ft. Worth Blacks with UST/Mamiya Recoil graphite shafts (F3) at a great price and jumped at it. We winter in New Zealand so I brought them down here and have been playing them two or three times a week. I have been pleasantly surprised at how forgiving they are given that they are pretty "bladey". They are traditionally lofted (7 iron is 34 degrees) versus the Hot Metals which are jacked (7 iron is 30 degrees). Yet the Hogans are, if anything, a bit longer club for club. I will be leaving the Hogans here and switching back to the Mizunos when we return home in April.
Bottom line, I think you should invest the time necessary to find a club (and shaft) that are best suited to you. For me both Mizuno and Hogan are a big step up. Both companies make quality products. When I spoke with Hogan during my initial search for new irons, they recommended the Edge model so that might also be the best bet for you as a 20 HI. But my experience with the Ft. Worth Blacks has been a pleasant surprise. 
FWIW, I like the technology of the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer for narrowing the choice of shafts, but I insisted that we do five sets of three swings with the MSO. I have professionally worked with data for 45 years and wasn't ready to accept that one set of three swings was sufficient, especially given the inherent inconsistency of my swing. The KBS shafts showed up as the preferred option in three of the five sets of three swings, so that is what I went with. The UST/Mamiya shafts were a shot in the dark that happened to work out. Both the KBS and UST shafts are "regular" flex, for whatever that is worth. 

Thanks for the input! Mizuno is number one on my list. I’ve demoed a few different Mizunos over the last few years and loved them. Being lefty, it’s harder to find clubs to demo.

I’m hopeful when the weather turns around here my handicap will come back down. Dipped under 20 last fall then crept back up this winter. But I’m just happy I can play year round!

PXG 0211 irons are now $125/club with their 3 standard shafts. Down to a price comparable to other top level irons. Worth checking out if there is a PXG fitter in your area.

Driver:    Titliest TSi3 - Tensei white stiff
Wood:   PING  G425 LST 14.5* - Tensei orange stiff
Hybrid:   PING  G425 19* - Tensei orange stiff
Irons:    PING i525 - Project X I/O 5.5 - 4-W
Wedges:     Taylormade MG3 52* and HiToe 56* Project X I/O 6.0
Putter:  TM Spider X HYDROBLAST (33", 3* upright)

PXG 0211 irons are now $125/club with their 3 standard shafts. Down to a price comparable to other top level irons. Worth checking out if there is a PXG fitter in your area.

Those were really good in my fitting a year ago when they launched. Loved them!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Okay............... calling on all of the forum members that I have a lot of respect for.............chisag, RevKev, RickyBobby, Cnosil,,Shankster, BidgStu, and any that I have left out due to having one too many pours of Bourbon...................... I am seriously having a big fight with myself over purchasing anew irons, namely the Mizuno MP18 SC/MMC irons. I love the feel and simple, clean look of the SC's. I don't hate the look of the MMC's. I think I like the SC feel and look over the MMC. I hit the MMC a bit farther that the SC, but the dispersion is nearly the same.

I love the shaft MORE in the MMC (Nippon Modus vs. KBS Tour 120.) I could game either, but I love the smooth feel of the Nippon. Help!

Edited by silver & black

... You are asking advice from someone with 4 sets of irons I play and 3 more sets in the basement?!? Obviously buy both! 🤣  My honest advice is buy the heads you like the most and then re-shaft if necessary. I have probably owned well over 50 sets of irons and every time I compromised, sooner or later I ended up buying the ones I really wanted anyway. If money is a concern, buy the SC's and play them a season then re-shaft with Modus next year. That said, I do think the MMC's are a better all around iron because the SC's are really MB's. Forgiving for an MB no doubt, but nothing like a perimeter weighted CB. The question of are you playing for the joy off playing or trying to shoot your lost score should provide an answer. 

... The good news is in the end you really can't make a mistake with your 2 choices. I hope that helps. 

8 minutes ago, chisag said:

... You are asking advice from someone with 4 sets of irons I play and 3 more sets in the basement?!? Obviously buy both! 🤣  My honest advice is buy the heads you like the most and then re-shaft if necessary. I have probably owned well over 50 sets of irons and every time I compromised, sooner or later I ended up buying the ones I really wanted anyway. If money is a concern, buy the SC's and play them a season then re-shaft with Modus next year. That said, I do think the MMC's are a better all around iron because the SC's are really MB's. Forgiving for an MB no doubt, but nothing like a perimeter weighted CB. The question of are you playing for the joy off playing or trying to shoot your lost score should provide an answer. 

... The good news is in the end you really can't make a mistake with your 2 choices. I hope that helps. 

Thank you chisag. I play for the love of playing. I am a Cabinet maker by trade. I have an eye for clean, simple, well executed lines. That is probably why I am a Mizuno fan. I love the look of the 18 SC's. I don't hate the MMC's. I hit the MMC's farther.... due to the 2* loft difference. But, my MP64's are the same lofts as the SC's. I really like the Nippon shaft over the KBS Tour 120................ by a little bit. I'm trying to figure out out if the iron head wins out over the shaft...lol.

That’s like choosing between vanilla or chocolate ice cream... they’re both really good...

but it’s an easy choice, go with the mmc’s and the shafts you like better. The mmcs are more forgiving, but still feel mizzy sweet, AND, you get your shafts you prefer. And that’s coming from a mizzy fan boy who just switched to Hogan’s from MP5’s.

but honestly, that would dang near be a coin flip

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

• 2 weeks later...

Well, with everything going on in the world I had the chance to move my fitting up a week and so I went Saturday. Glad I did because now it appears everything will be shut down for a few weeks, except my job, but that’s another story. Anyways, I’m stuck between 2 options so I’m looking for some input...

No surprise that I hit the Mizuno Hot Metal well considering I had all but made my decision months ago that I’d end up with a set of them. What I wasn’t expecting is that 1) I’d find a club I love just as much 2) there would be no discernible difference in performance between the two. The last few weeks I’ve really been obsessed with the Cobra Forged TEC and it didn’t disappoint. I’m leaning towards the Forged TEC now but my only worry is that over the course of a season it won’t be as forgiving as the Hot Metal. I’ve only ever played cavity backs so I don’t know if there will really be a difference or not. Any input on the TECs or hollow body irons in general would be greatly appreciated.

What shafts ended up giving you the best results? Not sure about cobra but mizuno offers a good selection of shafts at no upcharge. 

Nippon NS Pro 950. Both Cobra and Mizuno offer it at no charge. I was shocked at how many shafts Cobra offers.

7 hours ago, LeftyRM7 said:

Nippon NS Pro 950. Both Cobra and Mizuno offer it at no charge. I was shocked at how many shafts Cobra offers.

That’s good that they both offer your shaft. I haven’t played a hollow body style iron but from what I’ve read/heard about them they will be similar forgiveness to your traditional cavity backs. They are basically a cavity back iron but with the cavity on the inside of the head. If you are seeing similar performance from both heads I would then lean on looks and feel to make the final decision.

I’m a big mizuno fan and would love the hot metals but Cobra has been making some really good irons of lately being the f-max, the new SZ game improvements and the new forged tec; and yes they actually have a decent shaft selection as well for no up charge. If you hit both of them the same it’s definitely going to come down to what feels/sounds and looks the best to you.  It could be the best club in the world for you but if you can’t stand how it feels/sounds or looks behind the ball your probably going to want to get into another set earlier then normal.

On 3/24/2020 at 8:35 PM, LeftyRM7 said:

Well, with everything going on in the world I had the chance to move my fitting up a week and so I went Saturday. Glad I did because now it appears everything will be shut down for a few weeks, except my job, but that’s another story. Anyways, I’m stuck between 2 options so I’m looking for some input...

No surprise that I hit the Mizuno Hot Metal well considering I had all but made my decision months ago that I’d end up with a set of them. What I wasn’t expecting is that 1) I’d find a club I love just as much 2) there would be no discernible difference in performance between the two. The last few weeks I’ve really been obsessed with the Cobra Forged TEC and it didn’t disappoint. I’m leaning towards the Forged TEC now but my only worry is that over the course of a season it won’t be as forgiving as the Hot Metal. I’ve only ever played cavity backs so I don’t know if there will really be a difference or not. Any input on the TECs or hollow body irons in general would be greatly appreciated.

If you look at the Golfworks/Maltby head measurements, the Hot Metals have about a 15% higher MOI and should be much more forgiving on toe hits than the Cobra (much higher CDimension).  I know via quite a few balls on a Trackman 4 that the Hot Metals were better for my low toe miss.

If you look at the Golfworks/Maltby head measurements, the Hot Metals have about a 15% higher MOI and should be much more forgiving on toe hits than the Cobra (much higher CDimension).  I know via quite a few balls on a Trackman 4 that the Hot Metals were better for my low toe miss.

Thanks for the input, I’ve never heard of the Maltby Playability Factor until now. Awesome to have real numbers to put on MOI and COG. Not sure I trust the MPF rating itself without more information on how it’s calculated. May be headed down a rabbit hole with this but it’ll give me something to do. After just a quick look and minimal research, I’d argue it’s just a complicated way to tell me that the head is slightly smaller.

1 hour ago, LeftyRM7 said:

Thanks for the input, I’ve never heard of the Maltby Playability Factor until now. Awesome to have real numbers to put on MOI and COG. Not sure I trust the MPF rating itself without more information on how it’s calculated. May be headed down a rabbit hole with this but it’ll give me something to do. After just a quick look and minimal research, I’d argue it’s just a complicated way to tell me that the head is slightly smaller.

I don't ascribe necessarily to the overall MPF but understanding the individual measurements and how they relate to my swing has been very helpful to me in choosing irons.

You might want to check out the Ping i500.  They have great feel with forgivability.  They also come in Ping's "retro" loft which has I think a 32˚ 7 iron.

:titelist-small: 917 D2 9.5 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g 6.5
:taylormade-small: M2 (2017) 3W 17.5 -  
:ping-small: G 4H 22 - 
:titelist-small: 735cm 3 - PW - KBS Tour Black Nickel 115g ( R )
:vokey-small: SM4 Tour Chrome 52˚- 8˚ | 56˚- 8˚ | 60˚- 7˚ - True Temper Dynamic Gold ( W )
:cameron-small: California Coronado
:Snell: 
MTB-X
:Arccos:

On 3/6/2020 at 7:28 PM, LeftyRM7 said:

I hit my current 5/6 iron(Callaway XRos)about the same distance,

Based on this, I think the clubhead should have some forgiveness to it paired with a shaft that you can feel loading with your individual tempo. Seems like you might be losing the clubhead causing mishits on the longer clubs so I would be looking for something that encourages firm centered strikes. How you confident you feel with the club in hand is probably one of the most important stats, and is often overlooked. It’s hard to recommend something will check these boxes on a forum, but I’m a mizuno fan myself and I hope this helps.

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

24 minutes ago, silver & black said:

Chisag................ MMC 2018 or 2020? I appreciate you opinion.

... I don't think there is much difference between them from a performance perspective and it might just come down to personal preference. Personally I like the thinner top line of the 2020 as well as the copper layer that I always find produces a slightly softer, denser feel but certainly not night and day and I imagine some may feel no difference at all. If you like a meatier top line then the 2018's will probably be a better choice. I also like the look of the 2020's better than the satin/chrome two tone look of the 2018. Keep in mind I have only hit them on the range and never played either on the course. I really don't think you can't go wrong with either though. 

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I don't think there is much difference between them from a performance perspective and it might just come down to personal preference. Personally I like the thinner top line of the 2020 as well as the copper layer that I always find produces a slightly softer, denser feel but certainly not night and day and I imagine some may feel no difference at all. If you like a meatier top line then the 2018's will probably be a better choice. I also like the look of the 2020's better than the satin/chrome two tone look of the 2018. Keep in mind I have only hit them on the range and never played either on the course. I really don't think you can't go wrong with either though. 

Thank you. I value your opinion. I am leaning more to the 2020 version.... for the same reason you cite.

Demoed Mizuno Hot metals and Ping G700s when I was looking for a new set of irons. Both went about the same distance but the ball dispersion was considerably tighter with the Pings. So I purchased the G700s. In the end you have  to go with what works best for your game.

Retired Army aviator. 2 Vietnam tours flying Hueys.

• 4 weeks later...

I recommend the PXG 0211 irons, I got then for 95$ and I have tried the Mistubishi MMT and I really like them, but for that price and as nice as they hit,  no brainer...