Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

UST Mamiya Recoil ES 760 vs 780

I'm currently playing Srixon z585's in steel with NS Pro 880 stiff that have been soft-stepped once.  Yesterday, I hit the z585's with the newer (SmacWrap) version of the Recoil ES 760.  I hit the F3 (regular) flex, and never played graphite in my irons before, I was surprised at the feel.  I was expecting something very floppy, but the feel was good and flex seemed to match the stiff, one soft-step, Nippons I currently have.  The Srixon fitter said the Recoil graphite tended to play a little firmer.  Has anyone else experienced that too?

I also see that the 780 is available with the same specs, only heavier.  Does anyone have any experience playing between the 760 and 780?

Interestingly, on Srixon's site, when you choose the custom option in F3 (regular) flex, only the 760 is listed.  And if you choose F4 (stiff) only the 780 is listed.  Even though the 760 and 780 are both made in F3 and F4.

The demo cart did not have the 780 in F3, so I'm wondering if I should at least try it, or if I'm overthinking it (which is easy to happen with all the data available now).  Hopefully somebody has some more first-hand experience between the two.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Toro3150

Recoils player firmer than what? 
there’s no standard to flex or firmness. I could say PX plays firmer but that has to be compared to something to have any context.

I have had recoils in my irons twice and I don’t think they play firmer than other shafts in same weight category for steel or graphite.

the 760 is about 13g lighter iirc than the 780. They have the same profile just a weight difference. Other brands have done similar with the recoil. Callway pre owned would give the recoil 95 for regular and 110 for stiff. 

The days of the graphite is for old people are long gone. The advancement in materials and design have had a great improvement on how graphite shafts feel and the things that brands can do. UST helium is a lightweight wood shaft that feels as stable as some heavier shafts out there.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

54 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Recoils player firmer than what? 
there’s no standard to flex or firmness. I could say PX plays firmer but that has to be compared to something to have any context.

I believe the fitter meant the F3 Recoils played firmer compared to other manufacturer's "regular" flex in graphite.

In this case, it doesn't matter as I liked the feel of the F3..., just wondered if anyone had the experience of the 760's vs 780's.

The 760 did feel significantly lighter than the NS Pro I'm playing now, and it should as it's about 19 to 20g lighter.

56 minutes ago, Toro3150 said:

I believe the fitter meant the F3 Recoils played firmer compared to other manufacturer's "regular" flex in graphite.

In this case, it doesn't matter as I liked the feel of the F3..., just wondered if anyone had the experience of the 760's vs 780's.

The 760 did feel significantly lighter than the NS Pro I'm playing now, and it should as it's about 19 to 20g lighter.

I’ve only tested recoil against steelfiber and the recoils feel way better and not as stiff as the steelfiber. 

the 760/780 are a great lighter weight option and imo feel and perform better than steel options in lighter weights. Some old golf buddies of mine switched to the 780s in their Callaway irons several years back and have stuck with them thru several new irons.

the key thing is that you like them and they seem to work for you

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1