Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2020 drivers not adding much speed

did you see that?

I totally believe there’s some truth to this. I have a few friends on mini tours. They’ve informed me that PGA tour players themselves have told them that gains are incremental on a yearly basis. I bought a TS3 brand new early ‘19($499). It was a huge upgrade compared to my 915 in terms of distance. But due to uncontrollable spin, bought a M5 a months ago($299). For me, the distance was the same, but the M5 had less side spin on mishits resulting in more playable drives!! Id recommend saving a few hundred dollars and looking for drivers from a year or two ago. 

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

On 3/16/2020 at 11:49 AM, cnosil said:

Multiple variables to consider. Does the player bit the center, does your mishit fall in a hot zone for the driver, are you optimizing launch conditions? Increasing swing speed does lead to more distance, as long as you are still hitting the center of the face.

Like my friend cnosil described above. This type of wording should be on every driver and ad.  Individual Results Will Vary: "You must hit the ball in the center of the face, increase your swing speed, and obtain optimal launch for our claims to be realized."

That will never happen of course. Because (fill-in the rest) 🏌️‍♂️

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I saw and heard basically the same info from a number of videos and stats compilations like this so I made the decision to go with a 2018/19 M5 at a significant discount.  I paid full price for my Apex irons with a fitting so I am not (too) reluctant if the justification is there to pay the price for an upgrade.  It was for my irons so I did it.  I knew the driver was next - played an original RBZ - and have been looking at Epic Flash, TM 5/6, Cobra, and a few other vs Mavrik, SIM, Speedzone. Without seeing dramatic improvements with this years models to justify that price difference I pulled the trigger on the best deal I could get.

Kinda stoked to hit it for real after a few hits into the net.  Hope the honeymoon period lasts a long time.   Wish it was going to be here for Saturdays skins game but oh well.   

Golfer in Summer, Curler in Winter

TM  Stealth  Ventus shaft

Callaway Epic Flash 5 adjusted to 4.

TM SIM 7 wood

TM M1 3 hybrid adjusted to 4

Callaway Apex 4 - P

Vokey 52, 56, 60

Odyssey 2 Ball with Black Line

On 3/10/2020 at 11:30 PM, warbirdlover said:

I don't buy the new stuff anymore due to the ridiculous prices.  I wait a couple years and buy a "new" two year old driver that works as well as the latest.  I usually change to a shaft I like also and a lot of times I'll just take the shaft from my old driver. 

So glad to see multiple comments supporting second hand clubs. I bargain hunt on Facebook Marketplace all the time and there are some great great deals to be had. Taylormade V Steel fairway wood (pretty old tech I know) for $25 CAD, which is like...$18 USD? And that's my fave fairway wood ever. I was actually about to get myself a set of TM TP irons for about $200 CAD, another steal for Christmas last year, but my wife surprised me with a fitting and a set of P760s instead. 

I think a lot of comments already hit the nail on the head, about not seeing much improvements year to year. I experienced the other side of the spectrum though and upgraded from a TM R540 to the M5 last year. Those numbers changed a lot for sure. My new average carry is longer than my previous average total drive).

All this game changing technology and PGA scoring has only improved by ~5 shots over a 50 years period and you still have only 15 guys who average scores under 70. 

Edited by Tsecor

Golf is cool

14 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

All this game changing technology and PGA scoring has only improved by ~5 shots over a 50 years period and you still have only 15 guys who average scores under 70. 

Looking at that same 50-year period, mean PGA course length has increased from about 6800 yards to over 7200 yards.  So scoring has improved by 5 shots as the courses have gotten a lot longer.  I'd say the technology IS a game changer to some extent.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

20 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

Keep in mind that in the last 50 years courses have made the players basically play an extra hole. In 1970 Augusta was 6,980 yards. Now it is 7,435. That 455 yards longer should make scores higher, but they are still shooting better scores that in the past. Thats pretty good. If you take the 3-4 shots those extra 455 yards should take, and add them to your ~5 strokes better now it is more like 9 stokes better. Think about that. To make the cut you generally have to be within 10 strokes of the lead. Barely makes it. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

7 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Looking at that same 50-year period, mean PGA course length has increased from about 6800 yards to over 7200 yards.  So scoring has improved by 5 shots as the courses have gotten a lot longer.  I'd say the technology IS a game changer to some extent.  

You beat me to it !!! I took too long looking up the length of Augusta 50 years ago... Totally agree. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

8 minutes ago, The 19th Hole said:

Keep in mind that in the last 50 years courses have made the players basically play an extra hole. In 1970 Augusta was 6,980 yards. Now it is 7,435. That 455 yards longer should make scores higher, but they are still shooting better scores that in the past. Thats pretty good. If you take the 3-4 shots those extra 455 yards should take, and add them to your ~5 strokes better now it is more like 9 stokes better. Think about that. To make the cut you generally have to be within 10 strokes of the lead. Barely makes it. 

Course length has been diminished by many factors including athleticism, so when you compare apples to apples, nothing has really changed with golf....so technology has improved....health has improved,  and with that...courses are getting longer.....i mean, back in the day, PGA players were using pieces of wood and scoring in the 60's..... IMO, golfers were better in the 70's and 80's due to their shot making abilities with inferior equipment....it would be a great experiment to give todays pros all the equipment from those decades and see how they do.....let them tee off from further up to account for the length....that would be fun... no disputing your take on length...

Golf is cool

33 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

Course length has been diminished by many factors including athleticism, so when you compare apples to apples, nothing has really changed with golf....so technology has improved....health has improved,  and with that...courses are getting longer.....i mean, back in the day, PGA players were using pieces of wood and scoring in the 60's..... IMO, golfers were better in the 70's and 80's due to their shot making abilities with inferior equipment....it would be a great experiment to give todays pros all the equipment from those decades and see how they do.....let them tee off from further up to account for the length....that would be fun... no disputing your take on length...

Now that is a turni I would like to watch!!

On 5/29/2020 at 9:53 AM, appletonjim said:

I saw and heard basically the same info from a number of videos and stats compilations like this so I made the decision to go with a 2018/19 M5 at a significant discount.  I paid full price for my Apex irons with a fitting so I am not (too) reluctant if the justification is there to pay the price for an upgrade.  It was for my irons so I did it.  I knew the driver was next - played an original RBZ - and have been looking at Epic Flash, TM 5/6, Cobra, and a few other vs Mavrik, SIM, Speedzone. Without seeing dramatic improvements with this years models to justify that price difference I pulled the trigger on the best deal I could get.

Kinda stoked to hit it for real after a few hits into the net.  Hope the honeymoon period lasts a long time.   Wish it was going to be here for Saturdays skins game but oh well.   

Well the new TM M5 has been in the bag for 9 and 18 holes so far.  Had not had any time for serious range work but did hit a few warm up balls so I am starting to get a feel for it.  My previous trajectory was lower than I would like so I did loft up and I see that as an improvement.  Also just did a quick set to middle and full fade on the weights to counteract my hook just a little - need to play with that a little more.  The sound is not metallic at all - much more muted. It does sound solid and pretty satisfying when you hit one good.  Bad hit is still a bad hit - can't fix stupid - but the general accuracy on anything better than bad is better.   Overall I am not sure it is appreciably farther on the perfect hits vs perfect hits comparison - I would need the trackman to tell me that and I don't have one.  However on the not perfect hits it is much better. Happy so far.  

Next up is replacing my old Wilson Staff Fybrid 3 hybrid.  Bought it at a Wilson demo day in '08 I think.  It's a little heavy and for me prone to hooking - although everything is.  That may mean looking for adjustable weights on this as well.  Hybrids don't seem to hold their value quite so much on the secondary market so I have seen some pretty good deals on TourEdge and a few others.

Hit 'me straight...

Edited by appletonjim

Golfer in Summer, Curler in Winter

TM  Stealth  Ventus shaft

Callaway Epic Flash 5 adjusted to 4.

TM SIM 7 wood

TM M1 3 hybrid adjusted to 4

Callaway Apex 4 - P

Vokey 52, 56, 60

Odyssey 2 Ball with Black Line

I doubt nowadays that you are going to see much if any increase in ball speed as mot of the OEM's are on or close to the maximum allowed. What I see is that it is all about enlarging the size of the sweet spot and maximising the speed across the club face. 10 years ago you could loose as much as 30-40M, today it is more like 10-15M

Edited by Firebird
year

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001