Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Combo sets

StrokerAce

Hey gang.... I really really like the g410s but I'm interested in getting a players set for some added fun.

I've been doing loads of research on forgings and older sets and I've come to the conclusion that a CB/MB set would be ideal.

I think I'd like the MB in the 7-P and CB in the 4-6.... having a hard time finding an older set though.

I'd like it to be forged and no more than a couple hundred bucks. I go over that and SWMBO gives me the side-eye since she sees a set of irons in my bag already. (try explaining to your wife why you need 2 sets...)

I've seen some things from Titleist - 735.CB, ZM, etc.  from Cleveland 588 CB/MB  from Callaway - XForged  from Mizuno - MP32/60  from Wilson - progressive iron set  older Hogans  older Macgregor

Anyone playing a combo set they really like?  What's the makeup?

Any suggestions on older sets that might be worth a look?  Anything that you really *loved* and regret getting rid of?

Ideas on how to 'make' my own combo set?  I'd hate to have to buy 2 sets and have to drop some (try explaining THAT one!)....

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Look for Titleist 710 or 712. My buddy plays the 710's and has since they were released and he loves them. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I gamed the 735.CM in stainless and really regret getting rid of them. Exceptional clubs for the price IMO. The chrome version is easy to find, but usually comes with the brown wear spot. If you did want to fork over some extra $, Tiger Nick Golf on eBay often has a refinished set in black available.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Troll eBay but don’t look for a combo set. Look for the 4-6 in a CB and 7-PW in the MB separately. I got my brother a set of 716 CBs/MBs for under $500. I had to regrip the irons but was able to get matching shafts and bent the lie to what he needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

When I first started playing my first iron set was the cobra fly z + set (which are forged cavity backs with a thinner topline). Then I found a sweet deal on facebook for the Cobra fly z pro irons. (Some background on me -- I am a club hoe.)

The lofts are near identical on the two so I combined them to use the more forgiving fly z + irons thru the 4 to the 6 iron, and the fly z pro blades thru the 7 to PW. Granted the Fly z pro irons are a bit of a combo set themselves, but the 3 and 4 irons top line is so thin you could nearly shave with them. lol

I recently got the F9 irons for even more forgiveness (like I said club hoe) and actually only lost 1 golf ball my last round so I guess they actually work lol

:cobra-small: F7 Driver

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ 3 and 5 wood

:cobra-small: F9 irons 5 thru GW

:cobra-small: King Black Wedges 52/56/60

• 3 weeks later...

I play the P760 which is essentially a combo set. I love the forgiveness on the top end. The scoring irons are just nuts on, with great workablity.  If you haven't hit these irons, let me say they are just magical, and the sound they produce is heavenly.

:callaway-small: EPIC FLASH SZ 9 Stiff Project X HZARDS SMOKE stiff 70g

:callaway-small: EPIC 18 Rogue MAX 75g stiff

:taylormade-small: M1 (2016) 4H Fuji Pro Stiff  

:taylormade-small: P760 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 Stiff

SM6 52° degree F-Grind 8 Bounce  MD3 56° S-Grind 10 Bounce  RTX-3 60° 10 Bounce

:odyssey-small: O-Works R-Line w/SS 2.0

1 hour ago, bellairemi said:

Might look for a MacGregor 1025 VFoil CM set on Ebay - forgiving, good looking and nice feeling.  You could also build a combo set with some of Maltby's offerings.

Have that exact set - it keeps finding its way into my bag as my gamer set. The blades feel unbelievable, but you do know when you miss the sweet spot and off-center hits will lose distance for sure. The CB's are tremendous - you can find them on the 'Bay.

Another option is the Wilson Progressive set from '93-'94. Found a set on eBay a few weeks ago - got them out on the course twice before the shutdowns here in NH. Also pretty sweet...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Another option is the Wilson Progressive set from '93-'94. Found a set on eBay a few weeks ago - got them out on the course twice before the shutdowns here in NH. Also pretty sweet...

... You may know this Barbajo but I will share again with others. I was on staff with Wilson when the released the Progressive combo set. Payne Stewart want a more forgiving set of CB's after playing MB's. So Bob Mandrella kept making forged CB sets and grinding them for Payne, moving weight slightly and tweaking for Payne to play. But he just could not get comfortable with the CB's in the short irons and would play the new set but put his old pw-8 MB's in with the new 7-3 CB irons. Mandrella kept refining the short CB irons trying to get similar performance as Paynes MB's. Now we both know Bob Mandrella was about as good as it gets for designing and understanding club heads but he just couldn't solve the puzzle. He lamented to one of the reps that he kept building sets Payne loved by they always included his old MB short irons. The rep shrugged and said why not just make a new set with 7-3 CB's and copy Paynes pw-8 MB's, like a combo set? Something so simple had just not occurred to Bob because as a designer he was trying to come up with a full set of CB's as Payne was requesting. The funny thing is Payne had not thought o that idea either but when presented to him, he loved it. 

... And so the first combo set I am aware of was born. With some golfers still hanging on to playing their MB's I am a little surprised there is not an OEM offering a combo set. One of my favorites was the Bridgestone J36 Combo set with MB in the pw-9, CB in the 8-6 and Pocket Cavities in the 5-3. Obviously most of the OEMs allow golfers to special order combo sets but I think most have gapping issues. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

17 minutes ago, chisag said:

... You may know this Barbajo but I will share again with others. I was on staff with Wilson when the released the Progressive combo set. Payne Stewart want a more forgiving set of CB's after playing MB's. So Bob Mandrella kept making forged CB sets and grinding them for Payne, moving weight slightly and tweaking for Payne to play. But he just could not get comfortable with the CB's in the short irons and would play the new set but put his old pw-8 MB's in with the new 7-3 CB irons. Mandrella kept refining the short CB irons trying to get similar performance as Paynes MB's. Now we both know Bob Mandrella was about as good as it gets for designing and understanding club heads but he just couldn't solve the puzzle. He lamented to one of the reps that he kept building sets Payne loved by they always included his old MB short irons. The rep shrugged and said why not just make a new set with 7-3 CB's and copy Paynes pw-8 MB's, like a combo set? Something so simple had just not occurred to Bob because as a designer he was trying to come up with a full set of CB's as Payne was requesting. The funny thing is Payne had not thought o that idea either but when presented to him, he loved it. 

... And so the first combo set I am aware of was born. With some golfers still hanging on to playing their MB's I am a little surprised there is not an OEM offering a combo set. One of my favorites was the Bridgestone J36 Combo set with MB in the pw-9, CB in the 8-6 and Pocket Cavities in the 5-3. Obviously most of the OEMs allow golfers to special order combo sets but I think most have gapping issues. 

I think you'll be seeing something along those lines in the next month or so from an OEM I can't name yet - you'll be able to customize your set with MB short irons, CB mid/long irons, utility long irons or hybrids. 😎😎

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

@GolfSpy Barbajo This may, or may not be the route you want to go, but I find it worth while a few years back when I went back to blades (although, I'm not playing them right now, I am looking to go back into a CB/MB combo set as well).  These are a good quality set of irons, and that statement comes from a teaching pro at Butch Harmon's school, who matched them up to Titleist irons at the time (2014), and from a club maker at Golf Galaxy in Las Vegas.  I put a set in the cart (link) so you can check them out for yourself.    https://www.gigagolf.com/view_cart.jsp 

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

[mention=2876]GolfSpy Barbajo[/mention] This may, or may not be the route you want to go, but I find it worth while a few years back when I went back to blades (although, I'm not playing them right now, I am looking to go back into a CB/MB combo set as well).  These are a good quality set of irons, and that statement comes from a teaching pro at Butch Harmon's school, who matched them up to Titleist irons at the time (2014), and from a club maker at Golf Galaxy in Las Vegas.  I put a set in the cart (link) so you can check them out for yourself.    https://www.gigagolf.com/view_cart.jsp 

No item in cart.....

Using Wilson Staff Driver: Triton, Powerbilt 3W/5W, Tour Edge CVX129 4Hybrid, Irons 5-PW Wilson Staff D-7,Hogan wedges 49/53/57 & Tommy Armour Impact putter.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

2 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

No item in cart.....

Sorry about that. If you go to the "Irons" tab, they are the last 2 clubs on that page...Pursuit Forged

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

21 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Have that exact set - it keeps finding its way into my bag as my gamer set. The blades feel unbelievable, but you do know when you miss the sweet spot and off-center hits will lose distance for sure. The CB's are tremendous - you can find them on the 'Bay.

I have the Macgregor 1025 Vfoil MB irons, and I love playing them.  I haven't tried the CB irons.  I would probably still play them but I would have to move up to the forward tees!!  The 7i has more loft than my gamer 8i which flies higher than the Mac 9i.  Although the Macs feel great on good strikes, I like the new tech!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My mizzy set was a combo set of sorts. 3,4,5 in mp25, and 6-pw in mp5.

i think if I did a split again I would go cavity up thru the 7 iron, then 8,9,pw in the blades, and then obviously the wedges would be blades too, most are.

someone has a set of the black sub70 in their combo, and I must admit, they looked very nice.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes