TESTERS WANTED! ×

Balls for Beginners

Thanks to the hivemind on the irons forum, I got incredible feedback and advice that helped lead to m,y buying my first set of clubs (I'm a 58-yr-old beginner!) So now that that is done, could used some help choosing the right golf balls . . . 

I've tried a few different ones based on price and readings, and have been mainly playing the Callaway SuperSoft's (compression of 35). In getting ready to break in my new Tommy Armours, I thought to look at other comparable low compression golf balls, as I understand those are the "best" ones for beginners like myself with slow swing speed. I just found the Titleist DT TruSoft's and the Wilson Duo Soft Spin (with a compression of 40) which are both on sale at Dick's and got very favorable reviews. Since you folks have much more experience, thought to solicit your valuable opinions on what I should be playing this season?

Thanks . . . Marty! 

Edited by MrShowbiz999
Spelling error

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

Cobra Golf Fairway Woods (3, 5)

Tommy Armour Atomic Max Irons (4 - 9)

Tommy Armour Wedges (A, S, G, P)

Odyssey Works Versa Marxman Fang Putter

Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi Hybrid (4 & 7)

Whichever balls you buy, take a look at used balls. You can get "mint" condition balls that appear close to brand new and pay a lot less. I play Srixon Z-Star balls which are premium balls, but pay about a buck a piece for used balls.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

31 minutes ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

Thanks to the hivemind on the irons forum, I got incredible feedback and advice that helped lead to m,y buying my first set of clubs (I'm a 58-yr-old beginner!) So now that that is done, could used some help choosing the right golf balls . . . 

I've tried a few different ones based on price and readings, and have been mainly playing the Callaway SuperSoft's (compression of 35). In getting ready to break in my new Tommy Armours, I thought to look at other comparable low compression golf balls, as I understand those are the "best" ones for beginners like myself with slow swing speed. I just found the Titleist DT TruSoft's and the Wilson Duo Soft Spin (with a compression of 40) which are both on sale at Dick's and got very favorable reviews. Since you folks have much more experience, thought to solicit your valuable opinions on what I should be playing this season?

Thanks . . . Marty! 

My instructor  once told me start at the green and work backwards to select the ball that works best for you. I'm 72 and by definition have a slower swing speed, I've tried virtually every brand and type from soft to higher compression and I settled on  Pro V1x's.  So I wouldn't dogmatically say slower swings speeds should play lower compression.  And as @dlow206 suggested you might want to buy used. I buy 5A mint condition 2019 Pro V1x's at less than half the price of brand new ones. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

... OK, ok I hate to be that guy buuuuuut don't buy used or recycled balls. There are enough good deals on new balls, especially balls for beginners like Duo Spin so there is no need to take chances with a ball that might have sat in 120* desert heat for a couple weeks or the bottom of a frozen pond for a month. Even if that was the first time they were hit and look new, you have zero idea what kind of environment they have been in. There are always last years balls and a single digit player can't tell the difference between last years and this years Z Star. And that is a premium ball so a Srixon Q Star or MG Golf's Chrome Soft for $21.99 or even Practice balls for under $20 are better than used. MGS posted a deal a week or so back with Maxfli Tour balls for $19.99 a dozen with their code.  I just hate to see a beginner golfer hit a bad shot when they may have put a decent swing on that shot but because of the used ball, it flies erratically. 

https://www.mggolf.com/golf-balls-other/

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

3 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

My instructor  once told me start at the green and work backwards to select the ball that works best for you. I'm 72 and by definition have a slower swing speed, I've tried virtually every brand and type from soft to higher compression and I settled on  Pro V1x's.  So I wouldn't dogmatically say slower swings speeds should play lower compression.  And as @dlow206 suggested you might want to buy used. I buy 5A mint condition 2019 Pro V1x's at less than half the price of brand new ones. 

I'm also 72 and have a slower swing speed... by definition. LOL.  I have also tried lots of different balls over the past 10 years, and the one conclusion I came to was that soft doesn't work for me.  I was given a sleeve of the Wilson Duo when the first came out (8 years ago maybe?) and it was a distance loser for me.  I will play soft balls in either Callaway or Srixon in the winter when it's cold.  However, higher compression balls get me the best distance.

Tony is correct in how you should select a ball.  A beginner doesn't need the best ball, but you shouldn't play a ball that doesn't perform the best for you.  Pick up a sleeve of several different brands and compare how they feel and perform on first on putts, chips and short irons.  Select a few that you like, then find an empty hole at a course and try them with the driver.

While I like the Pro V1x, personally I think the MG Tour C4 urethane ball is the best deal on the planet right now, especially for beginners.  You can't beat the price for a high quality ball.

https://www.mggolf.com/golf-balls/#C4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Get what's cheap. Seriously. As a beginner, you're going to lose a lot of balls. Accept it, make peace with it, and get what you can at DSG on sale, BOGO deals, etc. I regularly play the Duo Soft and I think it's a great ball. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Thanks everyone for your opinions . . . YES, I lose A LOT of balls on the course and I try to buy what's on sale. In the past I've gotten great deals on the Callaway Supersofts and after having read about compression I tried those and they are OK (but everything at this stage for me is just "OK".) These Wilson Duo Soft Spin are on sale for $12.99 at Dick's, so I smell a sale and tend to lead from the wallet; not looking to buy if they are the "wrong" ball for me, whatever that means. Make sense?

Thanks!

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

5 hours ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

Thanks everyone for your opinions . . . YES, I lose A LOT of balls on the course and I try to buy what's on sale. In the past I've gotten great deals on the Callaway Supersofts and after having read about compression I tried those and they are OK (but everything at this stage for me is just "OK".) These Wilson Duo Soft Spin are on sale for $12.99 at Dick's, so I smell a sale and tend to lead from the wallet; not looking to buy if they are the "wrong" ball for me, whatever that means. Make sense?

Thanks!

If you lose a ton of balls, you must find a few as well.  Play some of those found balls and you will narrow down what you like.  Buddies and I trade back and forth as well so that is a great way to try out different balls. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I used and continue to still use Wilson 50 elite golf balls. I like the yellow ones and I can make them spin like a top (like one hop and stop on my wedge approach shots). 

Compression is as you could've guessed is 50.

I just bought them at first cause they were super cheap at my local Walmart. Also I like them because they are  extremely durable. I change golf balls and turn the ones I used for gaming all year and turn them into my short game practice golf balls and all of them still looked brand new. No cuts from my wedges or anything on them, and like others have said I've lost so many it's like I'm paying for other people to play my golf balls at my local course lol.

:cobra-small: F7 Driver

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ 3 and 5 wood

:cobra-small: F9 irons 5 thru GW

:cobra-small: King Black Wedges 52/56/60

20 hours ago, chisag said:

... OK, ok I hate to be that guy buuuuuut don't buy used or recycled balls. There are enough good deals on new balls, especially balls for beginners like Duo Spin so there is no need to take chances with a ball that might have sat in 120* desert heat for a couple weeks or the bottom of a frozen pond for a month. Even if that was the first time they were hit and look new, you have zero idea what kind of environment they have been in. There are always last years balls and a single digit player can't tell the difference between last years and this years Z Star. And that is a premium ball so a Srixon Q Star or MG Golf's Chrome Soft for $21.99 or even Practice balls for under $20 are better than used. MGS posted a deal a week or so back with Maxfli Tour balls for $19.99 a dozen with their code.  I just hate to see a beginner golfer hit a bad shot when they may have put a decent swing on that shot but because of the used ball, it flies erratically. 

https://www.mggolf.com/golf-balls-other/

Do you find that a used ball could cause that much negative impact (i.e. turning what would be a good shot into a bad shot)?

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

6 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Do you find that a used ball could cause that much negative impact (i.e. turning what would be a good shot into a bad shot)?

... Absolutely. There is simply no way to know what any given used ball has been thru. It really is a crap shoot as you may get 12 used balls that are all OK. Or you may get some that have been in water or extreme heat for an extended period and both of those conditions can cause a ball to fly way off line, or way short or completely erratic. I just think there are too many deals on new balls that make playing used an unnecessary risk. 

Let me go a little different direction here... If you have any trouble with thin shots (either tee to green or around the greens), think about the Callaway Magna.  It's a Supersoft, just a little bigger.  My youngest daughter plays these, and they definitely are a little easier to hit.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

One not mentioned yet but is a great ball to start with us the project (a) by tm. Was well priced and I often find last year's model at a very discounted price. 

Have to second the magna as well. Not one I would love to use but has some secondary benefits. Think it may even have triple track on it.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I have to agree with Chisag (So I must be "That Second Guy"). I bought a dozen used Pro V1s a couple of years ago and about half played well and the other half just plain sucked! Really not worth the price even for used balls. My suggestion is watch ads for deals which are usually in the late winter when they are getting rid of last years balls. Dicks and Golf Galaxy (owned by Dicks) both have excellent deals. My favorite are the MaxFli StraightFli which I've played for several years when the ground is soft (plugs). They will have a sale of $10 a dozen if you buy 3 dozen or more and for that price these are pretty decent balls and they have the different colors in addition to white. Another ball they sell is the Top Flite 2019 XL Distance (white or yellow) and they will have a Flash sale for $5.99 a 15 pack. Tour balls? No! If you are just starting, they will be good, especially for the price. And best of all, they weren't sitting on the bottom of a pond for a year. 

As always, JMHO!

Ping G400 Max @ 9 degrees

Ping G400 Stretch 3W

Ping G400 3i Hybrid

Cleveland 2009 launcher 4i Hybrid (also a 2i and 1i not currently in the bag)

Ping G700 5-9, PW, GW, SW (Green Dot and 3/4" length addition)

Ping Glide-3 60 Deg. LW (Green Dot) (also a Glide-2 58 deg LW and Glide 54 Deg SW not in the bag)

All Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize Grips

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11 Putter 35" w/oversize grip

You should take a look at Maxfli too.  Ive been playing the Maxfli Straightfli so far this year and have really liked the performance of it.  Its got a nice feel and even for being a cheaper ball, it still gets good spin off the irons and wedges and it feels good off the putter.

You should also consider the DTC route and going with Snell, Vice, Cut, Oncore, Seed, Quantix, etc.  Ive played some of those in the past and theyre fine too.  I simply prefer Maxfli right now because they are pretty much the same thing and I can pick them up at any GG/DSG instead of having to order them online and wait a week.

Im actually really interested in Seed because they are based in Ireland but I question just how Irish they are (just like I questioned how German Vice really is).

Edited by ZenGolfer

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

18 hours ago, mysterygolfguy said:

I used and continue to still use Wilson 50 elite golf balls. I like the yellow ones and I can make them spin like a top (like one hop and stop on my wedge approach shots). 

Compression is as you could've guessed is 50.

I just bought them at first cause they were super cheap at my local Walmart. Also I like them because they are  extremely durable. I change golf balls and turn the ones I used for gaming all year and turn them into my short game practice golf balls and all of them still looked brand new. No cuts from my wedges or anything on them, and like others have said I've lost so many it's like I'm paying for other people to play my golf balls at my local course lol.

I just started using these and love em! Excellent off my irons as my swing speed is below 90. About 12 bucks a dozen ,super durable, and come in 3 or 4 different colors...they also get great reviews!

5 hours ago, Apolloshowl said:

One not mentioned yet but is a great ball to start with us the project (a) by tm. Was well priced and I often find last year's model at a very discounted price. 

Have to second the magna as well. Not one I would love to use but has some secondary benefits. Think it may even have triple track on it.

Do not sleep on the Project (a)/Tour Response.  If I hadn't fallen in love with the MTB-X, I'd likely be playing the Project (a)/Tour Response.  We should start seeing pretty good deals on places clearing out old Project (a)'s, right?

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

... Here is a silly good deal, not only for beginners but for a wide range of players. Good deal on regular Srixon Q-Stars but these are the Srixon Q-Star Tour loose balls for $13.99. Personally I love a loose ball deal as I think packaging is an environmental problem that is easily addressed by loose balls without sleeves and box packaging. I loved buying Taylor Made Lethal loose balls in a 50 or 100 ball box and wish every OEM would offer that option. 

https://www.hurricanegolf.com/review/product/list/id/41893/category/21/

Do what I do, look in the woods when you are searching for your partner's golf ball, and play the 3 or 4 balls you find everytime you end up in there.  I swear I leave the course after a round with 3 or 4 more balls then when I arrived at it.  I'm starting to fill up an entire bucket at home with balls I found on the course, for future play.  And honestly, these are not Top Flites I am putting in the bucket, but once hit ProV1s that found the trees off of the first tee or 2nd hole.  I'm honestly starting to wonder why I ever bought golf balls in the first place when my course has so many ones laying in the woods yet to be retrieved.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

On 3/12/2020 at 4:38 PM, MrShowbiz999 said:

Thanks . . . Marty! 

I played a dozen of the DT Trusofts in their brief existence and I have to say that they were pretty crappy.  There was no holding the green with them.  

I'm still a bit of a beginner myself, but I dont have a similar swing speed as you, so I'm just going to plug in the standard answer of whatever you feel comfortable with both the performance of and the price point when they fly off into the woods or water.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

If I were beginning in golf, I would just play balls that I find, used balls that can be bought at the golf shop or online, or whatever cheaper alternatives I could find.   While I'm a firm believer in playing one ball that you like, you have to get past that stage of learning where you're losing golf balls as a matter of routine.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Srixon soft feel is also a good ball and carries a lower price point as well. Wilson duo, Callaway Supersoft are all relatively inexpensive and may work well for you. You can try any ball you like there is no one size fits all. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Thanks, as always, for everyone's input. I guess I don't understand the differences/advantages of softer, lower compression golf balls vs. higher compression vs. tour, etc. I go by what I read as I don't know, so I really value everyone's opinions.

Keep those comments coming . . . Marty!

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

62 here, non-beginner with an average swing speed. Balls that I often use that I like and recommend

MG

Kirkland performance ($15 per dozen) - some reports of cover issues but I've had no issues.

Callaway Supersoft from costco, ($15 per dozen) actually the longest ball for me but not tournament legal but as a new golfer, not a worry for you.

Pro V1 and V1X - both work well for me though i wont buy them and the MG is on par with these.

For me, these work best all around, good driver length, reliable off the irons, will stop in the green and feel good putting.

I've played the bricks...duo soft, treo, velocity, tri???, armour in its various iterations, tru-vis, and you name it, but they all have downfalls that exclude them for play for me. As with all golf, YMMV

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

... I sometimes forget about the Kirkland Signature at $24.99 for 2 dozen because they spin more than any ball I have played. Works very well for slower swing speed players that can benefit from more spin. But if you are a beginner and tend to hit hooks or slices (not draws and fades) the excessive spin can make a slice/hook even worse. But if you tend to hit the ball relatively straight with the normal beginner mistakes of fat, thin, mishits all over the face ... then the Kirkland Signature is a bargain and then some. 

5 hours ago, chisag said:

... I sometimes forget about the Kirkland Signature at $24.99 for 2 dozen because they spin more than any ball I have played. Works very well for slower swing speed players that can benefit from more spin. But if you are a beginner and tend to hit hooks or slices (not draws and fades) the excessive spin can make a slice/hook even worse. But if you tend to hit the ball relatively straight with the normal beginner mistakes of fat, thin, mishits all over the face ... then the Kirkland Signature is a bargain and then some. 

The only problem with the Kirklands is being able to find them and the fact that the covers of them shred pretty easily.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

13 minutes ago, Retrogolfer36 said:

The only problem with the Kirklands is being able to find them and the fact that the covers of them shred pretty easily.

... You are thinking of the short lived Performance One 4 piece ball. The Performance+ 3 piece ball is available online and I have never seen them out of stock in stores. They also have a very durable cover. Neither to be confused with the original legendary Tour Performance. 🤪

1289881741_KirklandBalls.thumb.JPG.bd43ff49f485b0594378673c78c27954.JPG

The Kirklands are in stock in my local Costco's, have been for a while! 

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

If you're just beginning and losing a ton of balls, I would buy any quality golf ball that you can get a good price on. If you're buying quality balls, then the differences between them isn't going to shave 5 strokes off your score or make the ball that is heading OB land in the fairway. 

• 1 month later...

My first question is, how many balls a round do you lose? If the answer is 3 or more, I would suggest the Wilson 50/50 or the Duo: both are about $1 a ball. I stuck to that price point until my swing got good/fast enough that I began to cut into these “soft” balls. My advice is to play the best ball you can afford to lose.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV