Our Sponsors

If I were beginning in golf, I would just play balls that I find, used balls that can be bought at the golf shop or online, or whatever cheaper alternatives I could find.   While I'm a firm believer in playing one ball that you like, you have to get past that stage of learning where you're losing golf balls as a matter of routine.

• Like 2

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

... OK, ok I hate to be that guy buuuuuut don't buy used or recycled balls. There are enough good deals on new balls, especially balls for beginners like Duo Spin so there is no need to take chances w

... Absolutely. There is simply no way to know what any given used ball has been thru. It really is a crap shoot as you may get 12 used balls that are all OK. Or you may get some that have been in wat

Thanks to the hivemind on the irons forum, I got incredible feedback and advice that helped lead to m,y buying my first set of clubs (I'm a 58-yr-old beginner!) So now that that is done, could used so

Posted Images

Srixon soft feel is also a good ball and carries a lower price point as well. Wilson duo, Callaway Supersoft are all relatively inexpensive and may work well for you. You can try any ball you like there is no one size fits all. 

• Like 2

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Thanks, as always, for everyone's input. I guess I don't understand the differences/advantages of softer, lower compression golf balls vs. higher compression vs. tour, etc. I go by what I read as I don't know, so I really value everyone's opinions.

Keep those comments coming . . . Marty!

• Like 3

62 here, non-beginner with an average swing speed. Balls that I often use that I like and recommend

MG

Kirkland performance ($15 per dozen) - some reports of cover issues but I've had no issues.

Callaway Supersoft from costco, ($15 per dozen) actually the longest ball for me but not tournament legal but as a new golfer, not a worry for you.

Pro V1 and V1X - both work well for me though i wont buy them and the MG is on par with these.

For me, these work best all around, good driver length, reliable off the irons, will stop in the green and feel good putting.

I've played the bricks...duo soft, treo, velocity, tri???, armour in its various iterations, tru-vis, and you name it, but they all have downfalls that exclude them for play for me. As with all golf, YMMV

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

... I sometimes forget about the Kirkland Signature at $24.99 for 2 dozen because they spin more than any ball I have played. Works very well for slower swing speed players that can benefit from more spin. But if you are a beginner and tend to hit hooks or slices (not draws and fades) the excessive spin can make a slice/hook even worse. But if you tend to hit the ball relatively straight with the normal beginner mistakes of fat, thin, mishits all over the face ... then the Kirkland Signature is a bargain and then some. 

• Like 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

5 hours ago, chisag said:

... I sometimes forget about the Kirkland Signature at $24.99 for 2 dozen because they spin more than any ball I have played. Works very well for slower swing speed players that can benefit from more spin. But if you are a beginner and tend to hit hooks or slices (not draws and fades) the excessive spin can make a slice/hook even worse. But if you tend to hit the ball relatively straight with the normal beginner mistakes of fat, thin, mishits all over the face ... then the Kirkland Signature is a bargain and then some. 

The only problem with the Kirklands is being able to find them and the fact that the covers of them shred pretty easily.

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Tommy Armour VCG 56*

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

13 minutes ago, Retrogolfer36 said:

The only problem with the Kirklands is being able to find them and the fact that the covers of them shred pretty easily.

... You are thinking of the short lived Performance One 4 piece ball. The Performance+ 3 piece ball is available online and I have never seen them out of stock in stores. They also have a very durable cover. Neither to be confused with the original legendary Tour Performance. 🤪

1289881741_KirklandBalls.thumb.JPG.bd43ff49f485b0594378673c78c27954.JPG

• Like 1

If you're just beginning and losing a ton of balls, I would buy any quality golf ball that you can get a good price on. If you're buying quality balls, then the differences between them isn't going to shave 5 strokes off your score or make the ball that is heading OB land in the fairway. 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

My first question is, how many balls a round do you lose? If the answer is 3 or more, I would suggest the Wilson 50/50 or the Duo: both are about $1 a ball. I stuck to that price point until my swing got good/fast enough that I began to cut into these “soft” balls. My advice is to play the best ball you can afford to lose.

• Like 2

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

Not sure if you're Canadian based but the older tp5 pix are stupid cheap at the moment and a great ball if you can deal with the look

• Like 1

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

1 hour ago, UncleDanger said:

Thanks for all of the advice. My daughter is just picking up the game and loses a lot of balls in water and woods.

Glad we could all help.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

As a followup to the original question, my partner is fairly new to golf but LOVES to play.

She's worked her way down to a 27 handicap in 18 months - and is looking to standardize on a golf ball.  She likes the Callaway Chrome Soft - but realizes that they're expensive for a new(ish) golfer that doesn't necessarily need the features of a premium ball.

Any recommendations on a similar ball in the mid to low price range?

Thanks!

Handicap 12

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

3-Wood: TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

Hybrids:  TaylorMade GAPR Mid, GAPR Hi

Irons:    TaylorMade P-790 5-PW, Oban Shafts, R+ Flex

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 56 Full Grind, Oban shafts, Cleveland RTX 60, Mid Grind, Oban Shaft

Putter:  Odyssey DF-550

Maxfli softfli - $20 a dozen. Can't be beat for beginners. I wouldn't buy recycled either seems like you can get a decent cheap ball now a days. 

• Like 1

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway Wood 5  :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:ping-small:  4 G Crossover

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW OBAN CT-100 Hard Step S Shafts  

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:Arccos: All clubs use Arccos 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

4 hours ago, Shodags said:

As a followup to the original question, my partner is fairly new to golf but LOVES to play.

She's worked her way down to a 27 handicap in 18 months - and is looking to standardize on a golf ball.  She likes the Callaway Chrome Soft - but realizes that they're expensive for a new(ish) golfer that doesn't necessarily need the features of a premium ball.

Any recommendations on a similar ball in the mid to low price range?

... I will highly recommend the Kirkland Signature (again). Unless she hits big slices or hooks, the added spin usually help with carry and trajectory and at $24.99 for TWO dozen, the price can't be beat. If she really loves the Chrome Soft, MG Golf sells a "special" version for $23.99 a dozen:

These balls are also what Callaway calls "Tour Select" versions, which are very special balls. They were provided only to Callaway PGA Tour Pros—including their top-ranked players (whose names you would immediately recognize)—and not sold to the public. Since these were tweaked for pro players, they may have slight variations to the standard Chrome Soft sidestamp (like a "+" or "★" appended). As you can imagine, since these were destined for Tour pros, they have received the highest level of QC at Callaway.

https://www.mggolf.com/golf-balls-other/

• Like 2

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 3/12/2020 at 2:38 PM, MrShowbiz999 said:

Thanks to the hivemind on the irons forum, I got incredible feedback and advice that helped lead to m,y buying my first set of clubs (I'm a 58-yr-old beginner!) So now that that is done, could used some help choosing the right golf balls . . . 

I've tried a few different ones based on price and readings, and have been mainly playing the Callaway SuperSoft's (compression of 35). In getting ready to break in my new Tommy Armours, I thought to look at other comparable low compression golf balls, as I understand those are the "best" ones for beginners like myself with slow swing speed. I just found the Titleist DT TruSoft's and the Wilson Duo Soft Spin (with a compression of 40) which are both on sale at Dick's and got very favorable reviews. Since you folks have much more experience, thought to solicit your valuable opinions on what I should be playing this season?

Thanks . . . Marty! 

Best beginner ball is the Taylormade Project A. Performance of a premium ball at a lower price. It will spin on the greens nicely, goes far, and has a soft feel.

Cheap balls that have hard covers will make the game frustrating when you can't get a ball to check, or back spin. They are cheap for a reason. 

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to suggest that you read the MySpy 2019 Golf Ball Testing Article as it is very informative.

The one thing I always suggest is find a ball you like and stick. Even as a beginner having 1 thing that is consistent helps. 

Lastly if there is a Costco near by - for $1 US Kirkland signature is hard to beat.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

Be careful buying used golf balls that have Urethane Covers as the covers will absorb water if left in a wet environment for more than a few days.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

• 2 weeks later...

2020 Top Flite Gamer. You can pick them up at big box stores for $22, and often go on sale. They perform similar to a tour ball, though I wouldn’t confuse them for a Z Star or Pro V1.

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 106mph

Driver: Ping i25, S-flex PWR 65 shaft
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3i: FOURTEEN FH-1000, DG X100
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce