TESTERS WANTED! ×

Balls for Beginners

Not sure if you're Canadian based but the older tp5 pix are stupid cheap at the moment and a great ball if you can deal with the look

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, UncleDanger said:

Thanks for all of the advice. My daughter is just picking up the game and loses a lot of balls in water and woods.

Glad we could all help.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

As a followup to the original question, my partner is fairly new to golf but LOVES to play.

She's worked her way down to a 27 handicap in 18 months - and is looking to standardize on a golf ball.  She likes the Callaway Chrome Soft - but realizes that they're expensive for a new(ish) golfer that doesn't necessarily need the features of a premium ball.

Any recommendations on a similar ball in the mid to low price range?

Thanks!

Handicap 12

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

3-Wood: TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

Hybrids:  TaylorMade GAPR Mid, GAPR Hi

Irons:    TaylorMade P-790 5-PW, Oban Shafts, R+ Flex

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 56 Full Grind, Oban shafts, Cleveland RTX 60, Mid Grind, Oban Shaft

Putter:  Odyssey DF-550

Maxfli softfli - $20 a dozen. Can't be beat for beginners. I wouldn't buy recycled either seems like you can get a decent cheap ball now a days. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

4 hours ago, Shodags said:

As a followup to the original question, my partner is fairly new to golf but LOVES to play.

She's worked her way down to a 27 handicap in 18 months - and is looking to standardize on a golf ball.  She likes the Callaway Chrome Soft - but realizes that they're expensive for a new(ish) golfer that doesn't necessarily need the features of a premium ball.

Any recommendations on a similar ball in the mid to low price range?

... I will highly recommend the Kirkland Signature (again). Unless she hits big slices or hooks, the added spin usually help with carry and trajectory and at $24.99 for TWO dozen, the price can't be beat. If she really loves the Chrome Soft, MG Golf sells a "special" version for $23.99 a dozen:

These balls are also what Callaway calls "Tour Select" versions, which are very special balls. They were provided only to Callaway PGA Tour Pros—including their top-ranked players (whose names you would immediately recognize)—and not sold to the public. Since these were tweaked for pro players, they may have slight variations to the standard Chrome Soft sidestamp (like a "+" or "★" appended). As you can imagine, since these were destined for Tour pros, they have received the highest level of QC at Callaway.

https://www.mggolf.com/golf-balls-other/

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 3/12/2020 at 2:38 PM, MrShowbiz999 said:

Thanks to the hivemind on the irons forum, I got incredible feedback and advice that helped lead to m,y buying my first set of clubs (I'm a 58-yr-old beginner!) So now that that is done, could used some help choosing the right golf balls . . . 

I've tried a few different ones based on price and readings, and have been mainly playing the Callaway SuperSoft's (compression of 35). In getting ready to break in my new Tommy Armours, I thought to look at other comparable low compression golf balls, as I understand those are the "best" ones for beginners like myself with slow swing speed. I just found the Titleist DT TruSoft's and the Wilson Duo Soft Spin (with a compression of 40) which are both on sale at Dick's and got very favorable reviews. Since you folks have much more experience, thought to solicit your valuable opinions on what I should be playing this season?

Thanks . . . Marty! 

Best beginner ball is the Taylormade Project A. Performance of a premium ball at a lower price. It will spin on the greens nicely, goes far, and has a soft feel.

Cheap balls that have hard covers will make the game frustrating when you can't get a ball to check, or back spin. They are cheap for a reason. 

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to suggest that you read the MySpy 2019 Golf Ball Testing Article as it is very informative.

The one thing I always suggest is find a ball you like and stick. Even as a beginner having 1 thing that is consistent helps. 

Lastly if there is a Costco near by - for $1 US Kirkland signature is hard to beat.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Be careful buying used golf balls that have Urethane Covers as the covers will absorb water if left in a wet environment for more than a few days.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

• 2 weeks later...

2020 Top Flite Gamer. You can pick them up at big box stores for $22, and often go on sale. They perform similar to a tour ball, though I wouldn’t confuse them for a Z Star or Pro V1.

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

If you're someone who loses a lot of balls, the Maxfli Softfli can often be found for $30/3 dozen at DSG. There's no better value in a ball for someone new to the game that doesn't want to spend a lot of time looking for balls that've been dunked or lost to the woods. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2020 at 6:09 PM, chisag said:

... You are thinking of the short lived Performance One 4 piece ball. The Performance+ 3 piece ball is available online and I have never seen them out of stock in stores. They also have a very durable cover. Neither to be confused with the original legendary Tour Performance. 🤪

1289881741_KirklandBalls.thumb.JPG.bd43ff49f485b0594378673c78c27954.JPG

I had the same issue with the new Performance+ balls - I bought them in March I believe.  They cut so bad on me that I had to take some out of play after one hole going tee-fairway-green. (Granted I was playing new SM8 wedges...but still.)  I have over a dozen left in the garage.  For the price they are still a good value, but if you don't lose a lot of balls I'd look elsewhere.  I moved to the Snell and that is a very durable ball that has played consistently for me.

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5; Aldila Rouge White 130 MSI 60S

:titelist-small: TS2 15 Deg; Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 70g 

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19 deg; Atmos HB TS 8S

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-gap; C-Taper lite 110S

:vokey-small: SM 8 56 08M and 60 12D

:Snell: MTB Black

Costco KS1

Bushnell Pro XE

• 2 weeks later...

TM Project (a), Srixon soft feel, Wilson duo are three good ones to start with.  You can buy the soft feel in many color choices as well to help locate them. 

Mavrik Max 9 degree loft w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Maverick Max 3W, 5W w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Mavrik Max 3H, KBS tour prototype 70/80 X-Stiff 80g

Speedblade 4-PW, AW, SW KBS Siff 85g

Ghost Sypder putter

bourbon to be drank neat

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2020 at 6:04 PM, Gatorbob said:

I had the same issue with the new Performance+ balls - I bought them in March I believe.  They cut so bad on me that I had to take some out of play after one hole going tee-fairway-green. (Granted I was playing new SM8 wedges...but still.)  I have over a dozen left in the garage.  For the price they are still a good value, but if you don't lose a lot of balls I'd look elsewhere.  I moved to the Snell and that is a very durable ball that has played consistently for me.

The only Kirkland ball that had a cover issue was the VERY short lived 4 piece "Performance One" ball.

If you got a random bad box of 3 piece Performance+ balls, that's unfortunate, and Costco's superior customer service would likely exchange them for you.

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

5 hours ago, KurtActual said:

The only Kirkland ball that had a cover issue was the VERY short lived 4 piece "Performance One" ball.

If you got a random bad box of 3 piece Performance+ balls, that's unfortunate, and Costco's superior customer service would likely exchange them for you.

No doubt they would, but I am about to change home courses.  I have no doubt I will go through all of them as I learn how to play a course with water on most of the holes!

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5; Aldila Rouge White 130 MSI 60S

:titelist-small: TS2 15 Deg; Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 70g 

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19 deg; Atmos HB TS 8S

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-gap; C-Taper lite 110S

:vokey-small: SM 8 56 08M and 60 12D

:Snell: MTB Black

Costco KS1

Bushnell Pro XE