Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

NPG Episode 35: Should GOLF Have Standards For Shaft Flex?

This week on NPG: Two more DTC golf ball brands aren't hitting shelves near you. Also, why can't shaft companies agree on flexes? Lastly, we answer some more reader questions, including tips on getting the most out of a fitting. Let's get it!

1:05 -Quantix and Seed are two fresh faces in the DTC ball game. Can they offer something unique in an increasingly crowded space?
24:27 - One shaft company's R flex might be another's S. Why can't they find common ground standardized naming?
35:48 - #AskMyGolfSpy: How is COVID impacting golf manufacturing, what's with weird wedge loft numbers, and how do I make the most of a fitting?

🔊 Listen to NPG:

📺 Watch NPG:

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I believe Tom Wishon and a group of other club designers/builders got together in an attempt back in the 90s but there was little financial incentive for the big OEMs to compromise what they were already doing. It is highly unlikely that any measurement industry standards will ever come to fruition.

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

I don't even know how you could standardize flex. In fact, I think it would be better for manufacturers to completely abandon any attempt at standardization and move to something proprietary to each shaft.  Especially considering there are high launch S flex shafts. Low launch S flex shafts. Shafts where the tip is stiff and the butt is soft and vice versa. 

If anything. All companies need to move away from A,R,S, X ratings and into something else. it is then the fitters job to know the flex rating for that particular shaft. For example the KBS TD driver shafts. They are categories instead of flex. I play a category 5 shaft. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

In graphite there’s so much that can be done with the materials and shaft properties it would be hard to do a standard. I’ve seen a low torque shaft wiggle like a noodle.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

6 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

if anything. All companies need to move away from A,R,S, X ratings and into something else. it is then the fitters job to know the flex rating for that particular shaft. For example the KBS TD driver shafts. They are categories instead of flex. I play a category 5 shaft. 

The flexes are meaningless so there really isn't a reason to change and I am sure whatever they change too wouldn't be standard or informational to a buyer.  Those that want to be fitted will generally trust the fitter,  those that go off the shelf will hit some balls and go with what they think is best.   As for the KBS shaft, while they have categories,  1 is senior, 2 is regular, 3 is stiff, 4 is X, 5 is Tour X so they do have a "flex" associated with them.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

13 hours ago, cnosil said:

The flexes are meaningless so there really isn't a reason to change and I am sure whatever they change too wouldn't be standard or informational to a buyer.  Those that want to be fitted will generally trust the fitter,  those that go off the shelf will hit some balls and go with what they think is best.   As for the KBS shaft, while they have categories,  1 is senior, 2 is regular, 3 is stiff, 4 is X, 5 is Tour X so they do have a "flex" associated with them.  

True. I agree, I am simply saying that in many ways the A, R, S, X flex system is more confusing and misleading. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

• 3 months later...

I do desire for a standard between companies should exist for rating a shaft -- I am just not sure what the best way(s) is....... With that open comment, I have researched the various methodologies being used over the years. A source that I like is below from Russ Ryden.

I like the discussion in the article referencing Jeff Meyers  "Area under EI Curve" which highlights stiffness progression across the total golf shaft.

"Understanding Golf Shaft Stiffness" by Russ Ryden

https://www.golfshaftreviews.info/understand-golf-shaft-stiffness-ratings/

17 minutes ago, aerospace_ray said:

I do desire for a standard between companies should exist for rating a shaft -- I am just not sure what the best way(s) is....... With that open comment, I have researched the various methodologies being used over the years. A source that I like is below from Russ Ryden.

I like the discussion in the article referencing Jeff Meyers  "Area under EI Curve" which highlights stiffness progression across the total golf shaft.

"Understanding Golf Shaft Stiffness" by Russ Ryden

https://www.golfshaftreviews.info/understand-golf-shaft-stiffness-ratings/

There’s not a whole lot standard between shaft companies. Equipment used to measure torque and the method they use are different.

some other testing/measuring aspects are also different.

The better option instead of standardizing flex would be to remove it completely. Materials used, the number of layers, length and orientation of the layers are what goes into how a shaft plays and feels. 

The EI profile would be a nice way to have it but brands like to keep that somewhat quiet.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

25 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There’s not a whole lot standard between shaft companies. Equipment used to measure torque and the method they use are different.

some other testing/measuring aspects are also different.

The better option instead of standardizing flex would be to remove it completely. Materials used, the number of layers, length and orientation of the layers are what goes into how a shaft plays and feels. 

The EI profile would be a nice way to have it but brands like to keep that somewhat quiet.

Great points.

• 1 month later...

Miyazaki tried this but it didn't take off.

Sent from my SM-G975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!