Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Callaway FT Tour Driver - Impressed

There was a demo day at our club this afternoon. Callaway, Taylor Made, Titleist/Cobra and Mizuno were there. I spent most of my time trying the Callaway drivers. Fortunately they had a FT-9 and a FT-IZ with the fubuki 63 tour shaft. I hit them both pretty well, but the IZ was more consistent and straighter. The trackman launch monitor numbers were similar. Then the Callaway rep asked me to try the FT Tour driver even though they didn't have it in the Fubuki - only the stock voodoo. I knew after the first swing that it was over. Much better ball flight and the launch monitor numbers were significantly better.

I would have like to try that head with the fubuki shaft. My concern is I had the voodoo in a 909D2 last year... i hit it pretty good for the most part except my occasional miss was a pull hook. i don't hit that shot with my current driver - 09 burner with UST shaft. I am going to think about it over the weekend and probably order the FT Tour on monday.

It seems like the FT-Tour could be the Driver of the year for better players this year. I can't wait to get some in...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I'm not usually a Callway fan, but this driver seems really great, and it's gotten a lot of good praise.

agreed... As recently as last year, you couldn't find a Callaway club anywhere near my bag, and now I am considering an entire bag switch. Strange.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

We just got the FT-Tour in the building. All I can say is W O W!! I am not a huge fan of the sound, or the shaft, but the performance on center hits is ridiculous. I am going to have to bag one of these this year. DANG IT CALLAWAY. I hate being corrupted.

• SPY VIP

While there isn't a single new for 2010 driver I wouldn't love to get my hands on for testing, I'd be less than honest if I said there's another club I'm more interested to test out. I've heard nothing but good things about this club...even if the stock shaft options are limited (non-existent). Can't wait to see how the performance compares to the other 2010 drivers.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I am a bit sad about the shaft options. I hate the Voodoo in everything. It is passable in this, but I have to wonder how good it would be with a Whiteboard or something of that ilk in it.

As much as I want to say that I can't wait to bag the FT Tour, on Sunday I hit 12/14 fwy's with my FT-9 Tour/Fubuki Tour 63 stiff and dang near drove the green on a par 4 with it. I KNOW I can't/won't find a better combo than this. Best part is that I pick up a Fubuki Tour 63 X for the summer months, and it'll be "click and go". So sweet!

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

The FT-9 is a really good stick. I just like the look and flight of the FT-Tour a bit better.

this is an awesome stick...love the stock Golf Pride Multi-Comp grip too. agreed with those above that the VR Tour driver (not Str8Fit) ranks right up there with this driver. the stock voodoo shaft is the actual voodoo shaft, not the "made for", watered down version. 2 thumbs up.

this is an awesome stick...love the stock Golf Pride Multi-Comp grip too. agreed with those above that the VR Tour driver (not Str8Fit) ranks right up there with this driver. the stock voodoo shaft is the actual voodoo shaft that is the "made for", watered down version. 2 thumbs up.

My biggest problem with the VR, is the dispersion. The same swing seems to produce several different shot trajectories and shapes. not something that I am looking for in a driving club.

i agree...the shot dispersion was somewhat across the board compared to the FT Tour. another impressive driver that has a lot of buzz is the new Mizuno MP-630 FastTrack. looks really sharp and their weighting system is easy and effective.

i agree...the shot dispersion was somewhat across the board compared to the FT Tour. another impressive driver that has a lot of buzz is the new Mizuno MP-630 FastTrack. looks really sharp and their weighting system is easy and effective.

Yea. Just saw photos of the new Mizuno and it looks impressive. I think it comes with a real Fubuki as well, is that correct?

Yea. Just saw photos of the new Mizuno and it looks impressive. I think it comes with a real Fubuki as well, is that correct?

yes, the FastTrack and non-FastTrack both come with the real fubuki shafts. their newest fairway wood/hybrid lineup is the best looking ones that they have ever made. the titanium components also make it a "buy" in my eyes.

• SPY VIP

yes, the FastTrack and non-FastTrack both come with the real fubuki shafts. their newest fairway wood/hybrid lineup is the best looking ones that they have ever made. the titanium components also make it a "buy" in my eyes.

Kudos to Mizuno for putting an actual Fubuki in their new drivers. So glad they're finally moving away from the Exsar shafts.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Then I'll be in line to hit them. Another buddy swears by the MP-600 with the original FasTrack technology. The sound is pure. Very muted. Wow... very impressive indeed. I could bag an entire Mizuno lineup.

Mickelson was saying yesterday that the ft 9 tour which is probally something like this but he claims he hits it 30 yards farther than his old ft-5 which he has in play this week for that very purpose of hitting it shorter into bigger areas of the fairway, but he hit 4 greens in reg so i dont know if it is working but when Phil is hot he is better than anyone alive, but when he is not he is well not.

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

Then I'll be in line to hit them. Another buddy swears by the MP-600 with the original FasTrack technology. The sound is pure. Very muted. Wow... very impressive indeed. I could bag an entire Mizuno lineup.

That MP600 is a great driver for the right guy. IF it just did not have that silly weighting system...

I hit the FT Tour at our winter golf demo day, and it was either my winter swing or something....but it felt harsh. Maybe I just didn't find the sweet spot...but then, my mis-hits just felt really bad -- like missing with a blade iron.

I hit the FT Tour at our winter golf demo day, and it was either my winter swing or something....but it felt harsh. Maybe I just didn't find the sweet spot...but then, my mis-hits just felt really bad -- like missing with a blade iron.

Right. It sucks on mishits. Money on center strikes.

• SPY VIP

I guess that's what one should expect from a "Tour" driver. Of course, it's probably not going to stop hacks like me from finding an excuse to put one in the bag. Right driver for me or not, I'm hoping we can come up with an excuse to review one around here.

I guess that's what one should expect from a "Tour" driver. Of course, it's probably not going to stop hacks like me from finding an excuse to put one in the bag. Right driver for me or not, I'm hoping we can come up with an excuse to review one around here.

If I request a review, will that be enough??

I'm pleased to read this, now I can cross at least one driver off my "must try" list. It's a little bittersweet because I finally liked the look of a Cally driver, but I need forgiveness with the big stick.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I'm pleased to read this, now I can cross at least one driver off my "must try" list. It's a little bittersweet because I finally liked the look of a Cally driver, but I need forgiveness with the big stick.

Try Diablo Tour. Similar look, but much more forgiving.

I saw that thread last night, the Diablo looks like a winner to me.

certainly worth a look I think...

• SPY VIP

If I request a review, will that be enough??

I sure hope so, although our preference is to do head to head style reviews. We've already requested a handful of adjustable drivers for comparison. My guess is the FT Tour will have to wait for a "Player's Driver" comparison, or something like that.

Of course, if we get enough requests (hint, hint), there's always the possibility of reviewing it as a one-off.

Archived