Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Callaway FT Tour Driver - Impressed

I sure hope so, although our preference is to do head to head style reviews. We've already requested a handful of adjustable drivers for comparison. My guess is the FT Tour will have to wait for a "Player's Driver" comparison, or something like that.

Of course, if we get enough requests (hint, hint), there's always the possibility of reviewing it as a one-off.

I got mine yesterday- went and played a few holes. Pretty impressed. definitely lower trajectory with less spin. Course is not soaked but certainly not running fast like summer and my drives were solid length. Left the old driver (09 burner) in the car so I didn't have much to compare. Will take the old driver with me next time and see the difference. So far so good though.

• SPY VIP

I got mine yesterday- went and played a few holes. Pretty impressed. definitely lower trajectory with less spin. Course is not soaked but certainly not running fast like summer and my drives were solid length. Left the old driver (09 burner) in the car so I didn't have much to compare. Will take the old driver with me next time and see the difference. So far so good though.

How much loft are you playing? I'm wondering how it compares to the FT-9. I had to go to an 8.5 degree head in that club with the ProForce V2 shaft to bring my launch and spin under control. I'm wondering if the 9.5 would make more sense with the FT Tour?

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

How much loft are you playing? I'm wondering how it compares to the FT-9. I had to go to an 8.5 degree head in that club with the ProForce V2 shaft to bring my launch and spin under control. I'm wondering if the 9.5 would make more sense with the FT Tour?

I got the 9.5 which is what I have always used in my driver. It appears lower but will do some more testing to see if that is the case. I do not hit a high ball. My home course doesn't require any long carries so a low runner works out fine.

9.5* should be ok. That thing takes off so low, that going up one degree seems to be the norm..

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Played with a former Cally rep yesterday. He was bagging an FT 9 Tour Authentic with the hosel which was the prototype for the FT Tour. Asked him the differences between his stick and the new FT Tour. Only differences are purely cosmetic...red vs. grey back slats and it says FT Tour instead of FT 9 Tour Authentic. Other than that, identical.

I've been playing a FT 9 Tour Neutral with Diamana Whiteboard 83X tipped 1" for the past six months or so. It's a solid stick but the decent angle is terrible and I get zero roll on most courses.

I tried the Cally rep's FT 9 TA w/Matrix HD6 X tipped .5" (Matrix's version of the Whiteboard according to the rep)...all I can say is wow. Pure and simple, WOW. My ball flight came down about thirty feet, I carried it the same distance, and then I got roll. Lots of roll.

It is without a doubt the best sounding driver to me since persimmon. There was zero "tink", "clank" or "tang" out of this thing. It seriously did sound like wood. Pure awesomeness, plain and simple.

Also the best looking club I've seen in a long, long time. It looks like the old Titleist 983E from address. Nice and deep face, classic pear shaped profile.

TM SIM2 w/PX Green "Hulk" 6.5TX

Honma 16.5* w/Vizard Blue 70

Honma 18* (set at 20*) w/Aldila NV Blue

Honma TR20B 4 - 10 w/Nippon Modus 130

Honma 52*, 58* (bent to 57*), 60* (bent to 62*) w/Nippon Modus wedge shafts

Odyssey Tank 7

Pro V1x

I played 18 holes over the weekend with the FT Tour. It was a 9.5* with an X-stiff voodoo. It was hands down the best driver I have ever hit. The ball flight was penetrating with very low spin. I have always lost distance due to a high spinning tee ball, this driver eliminates that problem. I also found this driver to be more forgiving than people have said in previous posts. It is the longest and most accurate driver I have hit. It also is beautiful at address with a sweet sound. I have never been a fan of Callaway Drivers because I have been turned off by the lack of a hosel and the address position just never looked good to me. All that has changed. Best driver on the market IMO.

Played with a former Cally rep yesterday. He was bagging an FT 9 Tour Authentic with the hosel which was the prototype for the FT Tour. Asked him the differences between his stick and the new FT Tour. Only differences are purely cosmetic...red vs. grey back slats and it says FT Tour instead of FT 9 Tour Authentic. Other than that, identical.

I've been playing a FT 9 Tour Neutral with Diamana Whiteboard 83X tipped 1" for the past six months or so. It's a solid stick but the decent angle is terrible and I get zero roll on most courses.

I tried the Cally rep's FT 9 TA w/Matrix HD6 X tipped .5" (Matrix's version of the Whiteboard according to the rep)...all I can say is wow. Pure and simple, WOW. My ball flight came down about thirty feet, I carried it the same distance, and then I got roll. Lots of roll.

It is without a doubt the best sounding driver to me since persimmon. There was zero "tink", "clank" or "tang" out of this thing. It seriously did sound like wood. Pure awesomeness, plain and simple.

Also the best looking club I've seen in a long, long time. It looks like the old Titleist 983E from address. Nice and deep face, classic pear shaped profile.

So, the FT 9 TA, different from FT 9 Tour, same as FT Tour. We can settle that?

I am a bit sad about the shaft options. I hate the Voodoo in everything. It is passable in this, but I have to wonder how good it would be with a Whiteboard or something of that ilk in it.

I am curious, what don't you like about the Voodoo? I don't know much about it, but I hit the FT tour with a voodoo in it and really hit it well. Is there something defective about the shaft that I should know about?

So, the FT 9 TA, different from FT 9 Tour, same as FT Tour. We can settle that?

Absolutely. FT 9 Tour Authentic = FT Tour. Only difference is purely cosmetic. The FT 9 Tour is just the half degree lofted, open/square faced version of the FT 9.

TM SIM2 w/PX Green "Hulk" 6.5TX

Honma 16.5* w/Vizard Blue 70

Honma 18* (set at 20*) w/Aldila NV Blue

Honma TR20B 4 - 10 w/Nippon Modus 130

Honma 52*, 58* (bent to 57*), 60* (bent to 62*) w/Nippon Modus wedge shafts

Odyssey Tank 7

Pro V1x

I am curious, what don't you like about the Voodoo? I don't know much about it, but I hit the FT tour with a voodoo in it and really hit it well. Is there something defective about the shaft that I should know about?

I just do not like the Voodoo for me. I have a lot of customers that really like the Shaft, but I cannot seem to get a repeatable swing with that shaft. I know that it is probably in my head, so it is there to stay.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Absolutely. FT 9 Tour Authentic = FT Tour. Only difference is purely cosmetic. The FT 9 Tour is just the half degree lofted, open/square faced version of the FT 9.

It's good to finally settle that.

• SPY VIP

I stopped by GolfGalaxy at lunch today and decided to take a few swings with the FT Tour.

My initial impressions:

• Surprisingly straight for a "Tour driver" No big slices...no slices at all. If anything, I found it a little too easy to move the ball right to left (not something I generally do with ease).
  • Substantial distance penalty on mishits. Compared to the FT-9 and other drivers I've tried this year...a little off the toe, or a little high on the face, and you're going to lose more than a few yards.
  • Acoustically more "pop" than the FT-9. A bit louder, especially when hit high on the face. Reminds me a bit of the Nike VR in that respect.
  • Stupid long (when hit dead center). Take the Golf Galaxy simulator for what it is so I'm not claiming any degree of precision with the numbers, but... a few weeks back I hit a driver that I really liked (wrong loft, wrong shaft, but great feel nonetheless), and I was carrying 265 on the GG Sim. Same sim today with the FT Tour, and I hit a handful that carried 270+ and 1 drive that carried 282.

Like Nic, the Voodoo isn't right for me. I would love to try this head out with a better shaft fit. I'm not saying I'd buy it tomorrow, but limitations of my game not withstanding, it would be on the short list.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I stopped by GolfGalaxy at lunch today and decided to take a few swings with the FT Tour.

My initial impressions:

• Surprisingly straight for a "Tour driver" No big slices...no slices at all. If anything, I found it a little too easy to move the ball right to left (not something I generally do with ease).
  • Substantial distance penalty on mishits. Compared to the FT-9 and other drivers I've tried this year...a little off the toe, or a little high on the face, and you're going to lose more than a few yards.
  • Acoustically more "pop" than the FT-9. A bit louder, especially when hit high on the face. Reminds me a bit of the Nike VR in that respect.
  • Stupid long (when hit dead center). Take the Golf Galaxy simulator for what it is so I'm not claiming any degree of precision with the numbers, but... a few weeks back I hit a driver that I really liked (wrong loft, wrong shaft, but great feel nonetheless), and I was carrying 265 on the GG Sim. Same sim today with the FT Tour, and I hit a handful that carried 270+ and 1 drive that carried 282.

Like Nic, the Voodoo isn't right for me. I would love to try this head out with a better shaft fit. I'm not saying I'd buy it tomorrow, but limitations of my game not withstanding, it would be on the short list.

I need the FT-Almost Tour. I never seem to hit it dead center, but I love the look of this club. I wish I were a better player...

That's about what I would have expected. Good distance in the middle, but lots of punishment for mishits.

I have used it for about a week. Haven't played a full 18 holes but have jumped around our course with it. I have already been in places I have never been on the ones i kill. just seems to rocket off the club and then run forever. today i had 105 into #1. the best i can ever remember on that hole is 130. I haven't noticed a big drop off on non-solid hits, just seems to go about the same as my 09 burner on those.

I haven't noticed a big drop off on non-solid hits, just seems to go about the same as my 09 burner on those.

And there is your problem. 09 burner. I really want to be able to hit the FT-tour on course. I'm sure it is 15-25 yds longer than my gamer, but i doubt it is more consistent.

And there is your problem. 09 burner. I really want to be able to hit the FT-tour on course. I'm sure it is 15-25 yds longer than my gamer, but i doubt it is more consistent.

I am looking forward to playing 18 holes with my regular foursome to really see if the long drives are that much longer and, just as important, where the mis-hits stand.

I have used it for about a week. Haven't played a full 18 holes but have jumped around our course with it. I have already been in places I have never been on the ones i kill. just seems to rocket off the club and then run forever. today i had 105 into #1. the best i can ever remember on that hole is 130. I haven't noticed a big drop off on non-solid hits, just seems to go about the same as my 09 burner on those.

What is it about this head that makes it so much longer than your current gamer? Lower spin, better shaft?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Archived