Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Let’s talk 3-woods...

Sluggo42

So now we know everything about all the new drivers, which is basically a candy cane sugar bar from every maker, but which 3-woods have made a move to the top of the mountain?

I know the Cobra F8 was considered magical last year, but then the Mavrik and the SIM have arrived. I’ve hit both of those two, and was delighted with both, but not sure what everyone thinks about the rest.

ive still got my old Callaway 816 Alpha, and I think the newer clubs will out perform that unit.

anyone got a “new favorite?” And what did it replace?

stay virus free my fellow spies!

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Love the Cobra F9 fairway wood.  It replaced a Titleist 910F that was in my bag for quite a few years.  The F9 won't be leaving anytime soon.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

I loved my Rogue SZ and currently have a Gen 2 PXG in the bag with the same Graphite Design shaft as the Rogue. The PXG flights low, really really low. I can hit some low bullet rockets but haven’t figured out how to launch it in the air year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Just purchased a Cobra Speedzone 3 wood. Set to 15.5 degrees with UST helium shaft. Distance is as good as my previous Callaway Fusion driver. Demoed against the new Mavrik, distances were about the same but went with Cobra because of adjustable hosel and rails. Can hit it out of most lies. Great club.

Retired Army aviator. 2 Vietnam tours flying Hueys.

Still loving my F8.  I actually wish I had two of them so I could crank one down to 13.5* when I'm hitting my driver lousy and loft the other one all the way up into a 4 wood off the fairway.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

22 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Still loving my F8.  I actually wish I had two of them so I could crank one down to 13.5* when I'm hitting my driver lousy and loft the other one all the way up into a 4 wood off the fairway.

That darn f8 fairway must be good, I never hear anything bad about it

6 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

So now we know everything about all the new drivers, which is basically a candy cane sugar bar from every maker, but which 3-woods have made a move to the top of the mountain?

I know the Cobra F8 was considered magical last year, but then the Mavrik and the SIM have arrived. I’ve hit both of those two, and was delighted with both, but not sure what everyone thinks about the rest.

ive still got my old Callaway 816 Alpha, and I think the newer clubs will out perform that unit.

anyone got a “new favorite?” And what did it replace?

stay virus free my fellow spies!

Unless the Mizuno ST200 is somehow worse than the ST190 fairway I recently bought, I can't imagine hitting anything better. Perfect blend of performance, sound, and feel - at least to me. The ST190 replaced my Titleist 906F2.

If I were shopping current models (Mizuno exlcuded), I'd be looking at Titleist, Taylormade, and Cobra. Ultimately, I think it would just be a duel between Taylormade and Cobra.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

7 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

What is funny with me now and it is darn funny. With a modern metal I have trouble launching a 13* 3 wood any more off a fairway do my old dependable Call Away Steelhead would still be in the bag as it was for 13 years. One of the reasons I have had that Adams 16* in for 4 years now. The funny part is I have absolutely no problem at all launching a persimmon 2 wood @ 13* off a fairway. Go figure that one out

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I still use the Cobra F7 and it was very comparable to the f9. SIM will be top of my list along with speedzone to try. Still believe Cobra did something magical with the f7 that makes it a world beater.

Making a point to get out a try and maybe fit into new 3 wood and driver this year.  

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I liked my Mizuno JPX EZ 3 wood but I replaced it with a Sub70 939X and I love it.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

6 hours ago, BIG STU said:

What is funny with me now and it is darn funny. With a modern metal I have trouble launching a 13* 3 wood any more off a fairway do my old dependable Call Away Steelhead would still be in the bag as it was for 13 years. One of the reasons I have had that Adams 16* in for 4 years now. The funny part is I have absolutely no problem at all launching a persimmon 2 wood @ 13* off a fairway. Go figure that one out

Wild a** guess here, but are the modern 13* 3 woods built to win indoor launch monitor battles more than hitting them off of grass at a green?  I'm a whole lot better at getting the ball airborne with a straight faced club off of a mat than I am off of grass.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

8 hours ago, MattF said:

I liked my Mizuno JPX EZ 3 wood but I replaced it with a Sub70 939X and I love it.

Really...?

I actually hadn’t thought about that one...🤨

I like my TaylorMade M4 3 HL (16.5*).  It replaced a Titleist 910 (I think), which I also enjoyed hitting.  Considering checking out a new TM Sim Max 3 wood.....or a Maverik

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I was playing the XR 16 Callaway 3 and 5 woods up until this year. 5 wood was easy to hit , 3 wood i was less than 50/50 with. Going to all hybrids

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I tested the Mizuno JPX EZ 3Wood back in 16 or 17 and am still loving it! It’s point and click. I’ve thought about changing up, just because it’s the oldest club in my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I am really liking my PING G400 SFT 3w and 5w. They are easy to hit on short grass and moderate rough, produce nice trajectory, and much straighter (more often) than my old Warbird 3w. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

7 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I am really liking my PING G400 SFT 3w and 5w. They are easy to hit on short grass and moderate rough, produce nice trajectory, and much straighter (more often) than my old Warbird 3w. 

The g400 ... some love for the fairway stix, I like it. One of my buddies just got the g410 2 hybrid. He’s still figuring it out

I was never much of a 3w guy but ended up picking up a TM M4 off ebay in mint condition for like $75 last year. I love it! The times I have not hit it well, it was definitely the indian and not the arrow. Its a 230-250 club for me. Shortens up those par 5's for sure!

Being a lefty, its easy to find deals on older equipment at cheaper  prices bc ppl need to offload it.

I just saw a snip-it that Tiger Woods is still holding on to his M3 5w. Says a lot abt the club if he still plays it given its age (comparatively).

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

I have a Titleist TS3 in my bag that replaced a TEE XCG7 beta. I hit the tour edge well, but the TS3 is so much more consistent for me. The adjustability made the difference as I lofted it up to be a 4 wood which gives me a bit more height and carry.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The last three would that I had in the bag was a Macgregor NVG 3 wood. I had it in the bag for like 7 years and loved that club. I have bought a few since then but never been happy. 

I am currently considering getting a SIM 5 wood. and lowering it 2 degrees to 17 and playing it basically as a 4 wood. I would I could get it one more degree less in loft. I would try the 3 wood and go up in loft but I do not want to shut the face. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

So I've been a loyal Tour Edge CB4 4 wood user for some time, but that comes to an end tomorrow when my new Fairways come in from Cally Pre-Owned. Went Epic Flash Sub Zero in 3 wood loft with same shaft I have in my driver and I've debated lofting it down to 14 degrees or keeping it a 15 depending on iron gappings and other bag building considerations, which are 7 wood, 4 hybrid or 4 iron in the new set. I used to have a X2Hot Pro in 13.5 with a longer Aldila Tour Blue shaft that I loved, but traded when I made the switch to the Tour Edge. I'm super excited to get it in the bag and start testing.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I was taught long ago how to use FWs. A FW should give you the distance you need and be designed so that you can use it for any shot you need from that distance. That being said, I have always sought out FWs with a slightly open FA and the loft I need to get the distance & trajectory I want. I've played a ton of FWs in the last 40+ yrs and the one thing I can attest to with all of them is that you have to have the right combination of loft, FA, weight and shaft flex to get the results I'm looking for. Being in my late 50's with a driver SS around 108, I prefer all my clubs in the D5-D6 range and I typically like an 80-90 gm mid-launch shaft for my FWs. I also prefer adjustable FWs now because I can set them to have the loft and FA combination that works best for me. I find an open FA makes if far easier to work the ball both ways because the sole doesn't work against opening the face to fade the ball. I currently play my 3ws at 13* TO 14.5* depending on whether the head is med or low spin. I get great results with my current gamer King LTD set at 14.5* but have to go down to 13* with my older, higher spinning heads like the Amp Cell or Bio Cell. I believe if players would focus more on the proper combination of specs than BS marketing, they would find their FWs far easier to use successfully.

BT

I have exactly the same clubs. Moved from my Titleist 910F to a Cobra F9 and I too am not taking it out anytime soon. I was considering buy a F9 5 Wood too, if I can't find another replacement for my Nike Vapor Flex 3 hybrid which I love to death.

Love the Cobra F9 fairway wood.  It replaced a Titleist 910F that was in my bag for quite a few years.  The F9 won't be leaving anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Bought a new to me Cobra Amp Cell 3-4 wood with a Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue shaft (stiff flex) GP grip.  My coworker bought it when the club was brand new and it has lost zero pop over the years.  Didn't bump anything out of the bag as I was at 13 clubs.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

I currently have a pxg gen 2 0341 or whatever the fw is.   It is shafted with a gd iz 6s.    It is the best feeling 3 wood I have ever hit - If you like a more solid and muted sound.   For me it flights high, but I have trouble keeping the 3 wood down.   My gd bb is going in there this summer to see if I can get it lower.    Distance is just as far as I hit and mav, sim etc....      

Then I tried the sim max and it was automatic.....   covid has made me close, so no income no new 3 wood. Lol

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

The three wood is a very infrequently hit club for me, but it's part of a set of four and I have a brand new one.

GPS tells me that I have too many long clubs, and also helps me to choose among multiple wedges, 

so I end up with seventeen and eighteen club sets and leave myself in a self-induced pickle as to which fourteen to play.

My new three-wood could end up in my gamer bag in our club's club room

or it could end up in one of the bags in my basement.

With this stupid virus shutting things down, it's a legitimate question to ask if it will ever see green grass.

The modern 15º metal 3-woods, I would have to guess, are a potent club for those with the swing speed to launch with them.

As for my own new 3-wood,  it's value will be determined when I and if I get to hit it outdoors.

Edited by RetiredBoomer

I had a Epic Flash Subzero 3+ last season, and it was a very good club.  I use it primarily off the tee on short holes, tight holes, or when my driver is acting squirrelly.  I have a 17 degree hybrid that I use for long fairway shots, so my 3 wood has a specific function.  I just traded my EFSZ in for the Mavrik with a GD VR shaft.  Unfortunately, the weather here has sucked, so I haven't been able to hit it very much so far.  I hope to get alittle more practice with it in the near future.