TESTERS WANTED! ×

Let’s talk 3-woods...

Sluggo42

I played the TS2 almost all of last year and it was a game changer.  It launched high without ballooning and was super long. I could hit it off the tee easily and off the deck. I had never felt so confident with a 3w since 2006 when I first got the r7 TP (that is still in the bag now and then).  I have a SiM waiting to try when the weather warms up and/or I'm ever allowed out of the house...

I've never played a 3 wood much and don't use it all that often on par 5's. The driver has always been a bit inconsistent and the 3 wood seems to fall in that same category.  I'm a good long iron play so don't have that much issue with a 2 hybrid or 4 iron.  Also,  if I'm 250 yards or more, I'll just take an iron and play it to a number for my wedge and take the strategy play.  

I have a 917 3 wood with a shaft that fits me well that I like well enough, but still just don't seem to use it.  I think I'll give it more of a go this year and see if I was missing out on something.  Hopefully it can help to give some better looks on par 5's going forward.   

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

• 2 weeks later...

I recently switched from Arccos to Shotscope.......so I regripped my Cobra F8 3W and 5W. I had forgotten how much I loved them.....

We have a Par 5 that normally takes 3 shots, Driver, 8 -9 iron and PW to get on the green. Now it’s Driver 3W and SW.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Great topic. So I do not currently have any woods in the bag. My gapping with irons fit with the 2 hybrids I have. With my new purchase I am curious what my gapping will be (gained 20 yards on the 6 iron at my fitting with the same lofted iron). I think I may need to ditch the 4H and swap out for a wood. Time will tell though.

I have always been the type to keep driver and wood the same, not that it really matters that they are but its more of a mental thing I guess. I have the TS2 so will definitely be testing that, has anyone swung them? Might be a middle of the year purchase for me.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't overlook the Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 fairways this year.  It should rank very highly not just in the "best value" category but also in total performance.  I have played a few rounds using an EXS 220 16.5* #3HL and it performs every bit as well, if not better, than my 15* Cobra F9 3-wood. After the area golf courses re-open following their COVID-19 shutdowns, I look forward to getting some more rounds in with this EXS 220 #3 HL, because I think that it may have a chance of garnering the #1 FW wood spot in my bag.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

On 3/13/2020 at 5:17 PM, Sluggo42 said:

So now we know everything about all the new drivers, which is basically a candy cane sugar bar from every maker, but which 3-woods have made a move to the top of the mountain?

I know the Cobra F8 was considered magical last year, but then the Mavrik and the SIM have arrived. I’ve hit both of those two, and was delighted with both, but not sure what everyone thinks about the rest.

ive still got my old Callaway 816 Alpha, and I think the newer clubs will out perform that unit.

anyone got a “new favorite?” And what did it replace?

stay virus free my fellow spies!

I can say 3 wood technology is something that doesn't change that much. If henrik stenson can use the same 3 wood for 10 years then all that needs to change is the grip and shaft. The 3 wood is a club that should be capable of hitting a specific distance consistently. if you have one of decent quality you can squeeze a little extra out from time to time if need be. 

I have the flash sub zero and an m4. M4 is easier to hit off a tee. The flash goes 10 full farther and sometimes more . Both are good. 

Family , golf , fitness , tournaments, and yes work. Golf junky.  

4 hours ago, tjyorke said:

I have the flash sub zero and an m4. M4 is easier to hit off a tee. The flash goes 10 full farther and sometimes more . Both are good. 

I feel you on that. I just upgraded mine. I had the speedline fast 10. I had to get the shaft replaced and fell out of love. So i understand that senitiment.

I bought a Titleist 915f second hand from a golf galaxy in Appleton WI while at the state bowling tourney 2 years ago. I paid 49.99 and even asked the guy are you sure? First couple shots were 280 right down the middle.  I saw enough and scooped it up. Have never thought about getting another 3 wood since. Gonna be sad when it runs outta smoke lol

2 hours ago, Erik-M said:

I bought a Titleist 915f second hand from a golf galaxy in Appleton WI while at the state bowling tourney 2 years ago. I paid 49.99 and even asked the guy are you sure? First couple shots were 280 right down the middle.  I saw enough and scooped it up. Have never thought about getting another 3 wood since. Gonna be sad when it runs outta smoke lol

The 915s have heads floating around still. If you find a spare head you'll be set.

I have Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3 wood 15 degree and I love it. Never thought much about trying it but it did well on the MyGolfSpy testing and I tried it out at Club Champion and it performed the best for me overall.  I was thinking of getting a 13 degree 3 wood to replace my driver since I have been hitting this club so well and haven't been getting along with the Driver. 

:taylormade-small: Driver M6 9 Patterson Kinect 

:755178188_TourEdge: Tour Edge Exotic EXS 3 Wood 15 degree 

:taylormade-small: Rescue 3 fairway/hybrid wood 17 degree

:ping-small:  irons i-500 4-W Project X LZ 5.5 

:taylormade-small: Wedges,  Mill Grind 2- 50 degree, 56 degree, 60 degree HI-Toe

:cameron-small:  Scotty Cameron Newport 2 putter Super Stroke grip

:Snell: MTB-X optic yellow

VESSEL  bag Player stand 2.0