Sluggo42

Let’s talk 3-woods...

Our Sponsors

I was never much of a 3w guy but ended up picking up a TM M4 off ebay in mint condition for like $75 last year. I love it! The times I have not hit it well, it was definitely the indian and not the arrow. Its a 230-250 club for me. Shortens up those par 5's for sure!

Being a lefty, its easy to find deals on older equipment at cheaper  prices bc ppl need to offload it.

I just saw a snip-it that Tiger Woods is still holding on to his M3 5w. Says a lot abt the club if he still plays it given its age (comparatively).

• Like 1

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :taylormade-small:  M4 with 60g Atmos red stiff shaft
  • 4-pw irons: :ping-small:  G710 with stiff KBS shafts (MGS Tester '20)
  • Wedges: 52, 56, 60 :titelist-small: SM5 & SM6
  • Putter: 34" :odyssey-small: 2-ball original with superstroke grip
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder (MGS Tester '19)
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

I have a Titleist TS3 in my bag that replaced a TEE XCG7 beta. I hit the tour edge well, but the TS3 is so much more consistent for me. The adjustability made the difference as I lofted it up to be a 4 wood which gives me a bit more height and carry.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The last three would that I had in the bag was a Macgregor NVG 3 wood. I had it in the bag for like 7 years and loved that club. I have bought a few since then but never been happy. 

I am currently considering getting a SIM 5 wood. and lowering it 2 degrees to 17 and playing it basically as a 4 wood. I would I could get it one more degree less in loft. I would try the 3 wood and go up in loft but I do not want to shut the face. 

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

So I've been a loyal Tour Edge CB4 4 wood user for some time, but that comes to an end tomorrow when my new Fairways come in from Cally Pre-Owned. Went Epic Flash Sub Zero in 3 wood loft with same shaft I have in my driver and I've debated lofting it down to 14 degrees or keeping it a 15 depending on iron gappings and other bag building considerations, which are 7 wood, 4 hybrid or 4 iron in the new set. I used to have a X2Hot Pro in 13.5 with a longer Aldila Tour Blue shaft that I loved, but traded when I made the switch to the Tour Edge. I'm super excited to get it in the bag and start testing.

• Like 2

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback, 18.5, Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

:nickent-small: Pipe

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2019)

I was taught long ago how to use FWs. A FW should give you the distance you need and be designed so that you can use it for any shot you need from that distance. That being said, I have always sought out FWs with a slightly open FA and the loft I need to get the distance & trajectory I want. I've played a ton of FWs in the last 40+ yrs and the one thing I can attest to with all of them is that you have to have the right combination of loft, FA, weight and shaft flex to get the results I'm looking for. Being in my late 50's with a driver SS around 108, I prefer all my clubs in the D5-D6 range and I typically like an 80-90 gm mid-launch shaft for my FWs. I also prefer adjustable FWs now because I can set them to have the loft and FA combination that works best for me. I find an open FA makes if far easier to work the ball both ways because the sole doesn't work against opening the face to fade the ball. I currently play my 3ws at 13* TO 14.5* depending on whether the head is med or low spin. I get great results with my current gamer King LTD set at 14.5* but have to go down to 13* with my older, higher spinning heads like the Amp Cell or Bio Cell. I believe if players would focus more on the proper combination of specs than BS marketing, they would find their FWs far easier to use successfully.

BT

I have exactly the same clubs. Moved from my Titleist 910F to a Cobra F9 and I too am not taking it out anytime soon. I was considering buy a F9 5 Wood too, if I can't find another replacement for my Nike Vapor Flex 3 hybrid which I love to death.

Love the Cobra F9 fairway wood.  It replaced a Titleist 910F that was in my bag for quite a few years.  The F9 won't be leaving anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver:   :cobra-small: F9 driver 9* stiff shaft 

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* regular shaft

Hybrids:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex  3 & 4 hybrids regular shafts 

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Ben Hogan BHB01 blade

Ball:  :Snell: Black

Bag: 2015 Ogio Chamber Cart Bag & 2018 MyGolfSpy Stand Bag

Bought a new to me Cobra Amp Cell 3-4 wood with a Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue shaft (stiff flex) GP grip.  My coworker bought it when the club was brand new and it has lost zero pop over the years.  Didn't bump anything out of the bag as I was at 13 clubs.

• Like 3

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

I currently have a pxg gen 2 0341 or whatever the fw is.   It is shafted with a gd iz 6s.    It is the best feeling 3 wood I have ever hit - If you like a more solid and muted sound.   For me it flights high, but I have trouble keeping the 3 wood down.   My gd bb is going in there this summer to see if I can get it lower.    Distance is just as far as I hit and mav, sim etc....      

Then I tried the sim max and it was automatic.....   covid has made me close, so no income no new 3 wood. Lol

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

Posted (edited)

The three wood is a very infrequently hit club for me, but it's part of a set of four and I have a brand new one.

GPS tells me that I have too many long clubs, and also helps me to choose among multiple wedges, 

so I end up with seventeen and eighteen club sets and leave myself in a self-induced pickle as to which fourteen to play.

My new three-wood could end up in my gamer bag in our club's club room

or it could end up in one of the bags in my basement.

With this stupid virus shutting things down, it's a legitimate question to ask if it will ever see green grass.

The modern 15º metal 3-woods, I would have to guess, are a potent club for those with the swing speed to launch with them.

As for my own new 3-wood,  it's value will be determined when I and if I get to hit it outdoors.

Edited by RetiredBoomer

I had a Epic Flash Subzero 3+ last season, and it was a very good club.  I use it primarily off the tee on short holes, tight holes, or when my driver is acting squirrelly.  I have a 17 degree hybrid that I use for long fairway shots, so my 3 wood has a specific function.  I just traded my EFSZ in for the Mavrik with a GD VR shaft.  Unfortunately, the weather here has sucked, so I haven't been able to hit it very much so far.  I hope to get alittle more practice with it in the near future.

Cobra F7, 15.5 D setting with stock shaft. Pretty much a tee only club for me, home course is relatively short and I can keep this in play(most"ish") of the time.

I played the TS2 almost all of last year and it was a game changer.  It launched high without ballooning and was super long. I could hit it off the tee easily and off the deck. I had never felt so confident with a 3w since 2006 when I first got the r7 TP (that is still in the bag now and then).  I have a SiM waiting to try when the weather warms up and/or I'm ever allowed out of the house...

I've never played a 3 wood much and don't use it all that often on par 5's. The driver has always been a bit inconsistent and the 3 wood seems to fall in that same category.  I'm a good long iron play so don't have that much issue with a 2 hybrid or 4 iron.  Also,  if I'm 250 yards or more, I'll just take an iron and play it to a number for my wedge and take the strategy play.  

I have a 917 3 wood with a shaft that fits me well that I like well enough, but still just don't seem to use it.  I think I'll give it more of a go this year and see if I was missing out on something.  Hopefully it can help to give some better looks on par 5's going forward.   

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood: :titelist-small: 917F2 Fujikura Pro 84 Tour Spec S

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

Irons 4-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 58* Nippon Modus Wedge

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

Just replaced my F8 with a Mizuno ST190.  Just sitting inside waiting to give it a hit. 

I recently switched from Arccos to Shotscope.......so I regripped my Cobra F8 3W and 5W. I had forgotten how much I loved them.....

We have a Par 5 that normally takes 3 shots, Driver, 8 -9 iron and PW to get on the green. Now it’s Driver 3W and SW.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(48*) & SW(54*) Cobra King F8 LW(58*)all wedges have Recoil 460 regular shafts Putter: 33" Bellum-Winmore 707 putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

Great topic. So I do not currently have any woods in the bag. My gapping with irons fit with the 2 hybrids I have. With my new purchase I am curious what my gapping will be (gained 20 yards on the 6 iron at my fitting with the same lofted iron). I think I may need to ditch the 4H and swap out for a wood. Time will tell though.

I have always been the type to keep driver and wood the same, not that it really matters that they are but its more of a mental thing I guess. I have the TS2 so will definitely be testing that, has anyone swung them? Might be a middle of the year purchase for me.

• Like 1

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Mizuno ST190 tour soon just replaced my trusty Cobra Bio Cell over the winter.   Saw some great numbers indoors and can’t wait to get it outside. 

TM M2 for me. When this thing wears out I'll buy another one. I haven't hit another one as consistent or as far.

TM.png.d551804c21debc091a6aef9280cf38ab.png

Sim - M2 - 2 Rescue - P790 - MG

Brandon Matthews No2 - Not Made for the Tour
"buy the ticket, take the ride..."

Don't overlook the Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 fairways this year.  It should rank very highly not just in the "best value" category but also in total performance.  I have played a few rounds using an EXS 220 16.5* #3HL and it performs every bit as well, if not better, than my 15* Cobra F9 3-wood. After the area golf courses re-open following their COVID-19 shutdowns, I look forward to getting some more rounds in with this EXS 220 #3 HL, because I think that it may have a chance of garnering the #1 FW wood spot in my bag.

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS220, PX HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.0

4-Wood: Exotics EXS220, Ventus 6S

7-Wood: Callaway Epic Flash, Accra Tour-Z HL 85-S

Hybrids: Exotics EXS220 (19*) and Cobra F8 (22*), stiff Accra Tour-Z hybrid shafts

Irons: Exotics EXS220 (6-iron through PW), KBS TGI Tour 80 (stiff) shafts

Wedges: Vokey SM7 (50-54-58) or Scratch custom wedges (49-54-60)

Putter: Evnroll ER2

Ball: Snell MTBx