Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Bringing My Service Dog along as a single player

Hi Everyone,

I was just curious how most of you would feel if a player you were paired with brought their service dog with them to the course? I usually tend to play on deal times in my local area and am paired with other players or groups. I prefer to play with my dog if I'm not with friends as she alerts me to, interrupts and provides assistance for occasional balance and vision loss issues. The dog is familiar with golf courses, does not interfere with wildlife, set foot in hazards or bunkers or on the putting greens. My primary concerns are slowing pace of play for other players by walking instead of riding and taking the time to give the dog commands between shots so she knows what to do.  Also just making sure everyone is comfortable as I know some people aren't too fond of dogs. 

What would you think if you were paired with someone playing who has a service dog accompany them and what else could I maybe do to make it as easy going for another player or group?

Right Handed

Driver::taylormade-small: Sim 8 Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60

3 Wood: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback 3-4  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70

2 Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB  Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX-5 KBS $-Taper 120

Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 54 and 58 KBS Hi-Rev

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER 1.2

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BXS

I’m a dog person and would have no issue at all as long as the dog is a good pup. Especially if it’s a service dog. And if someone were to be a prick let them play on don’t need that BS

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I would find it fascinating, and a great experience, to see you enjoy playing with your service dog.

I am not really a dog fan, though have no issue when a dog is under control and well behaved, as service/assistance dogs invariably are.  If people have a problem then 'stuff em' and enjoy playing with others, and hopefully the doubters will change their attitude when they see the dog 'working' on the course.

I would say the important thing is for you to explain to your playing partners what the situation is, so they are aware of what to expect, as it will most likely be a new experience for them.  They will also have a chance to see how well behaved the dog is as you are warming up or on the practice green.  

I am a dog person too and would have absolutely no problem in that case. In fact I would have no problem in any case as long as the dog is behaved. I know Service Dogs are trained and needed to assist folks and that is a great thing. Anyone that has a problem with someone using a service dog in any situation is a total ass especially if a veteran is involved. In a nutshell anyone with a service dog whether they are a veteran or not is welcome to play with me any where any time

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

The world is changing and as people’s perceptions and tolerances adjust over time, I hope we see scenarios like this occur more often.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I'd love to see more people getting out to enjoy a round if they were able to freely bring their service dog with them. And let's face it - anyone who has a problem with you bringing a service dog with you to help if you become impaired is probably not someone you want to spend 18 holes with.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

One of the guys in our league brings his dog along - she fits on the back of the cart through out the round. I don't have a problem - especially with a service dog they always seem to be very well behaved.. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

No issue for me but then I'm a dog lover.  It's great that "man's best friend" can also support someone's unique medical needs. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Dogs are awesome, and a ton of courses around here either have clubhouse dogs or some hunting breeds to chase geese and groundhogs.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I think I would enjoy a dog on the course. I'd welcome your service dog. My dog, however ... he hates not being included in a game, and hates giving up whatever's in his mouth without some sort of bribe being offered.

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

Hi Everyone,
I was just curious how most of you would feel if a player you were paired with brought their service dog with them to the course? I usually tend to play on deal times in my local area and am paired with other players or groups. I prefer to play with my dog if I'm not with friends as she alerts me to, interrupts and provides assistance for occasional balance and vision loss issues. The dog is familiar with golf courses, does not interfere with wildlife, set foot in hazards or bunkers or on the putting greens. My primary concerns are slowing pace of play for other players by walking instead of riding and taking the time to give the dog commands between shots so she knows what to do.  Also just making sure everyone is comfortable as I know some people aren't too fond of dogs. 
What would you think if you were paired with someone playing who has a service dog accompany them and what else could I maybe do to make it as easy going for another player or group?

Not a problem. I like dogs more than a lot of people and special dogs like that are great with me.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Thanks everyone for the positive responses. That makes me feel a lot better about bringing the dog on the course with me in the future! Here's a dog pic as a thank you to everyone 
IMG_6233.thumb.JPG.be51bda18af226e7b4f2324eef10a3f5.JPG

Great looking Pup

Rick

Left Hand, 

I had a dog (yellow lab) that went everywhere with me. She was not a service dog, but very well behaved. No one minded because she had no effect on play. The only issue was she had to visit every water hazard.

I’ve had many dogs since but since they are not as well behaved, they get to stay home. It is like most things. Playing partners generally couldn’t care less what or who you have with you as long as it doesn’t interfere their joy of playing.

I’ve had friends bring children with them and enjoyed them, and others I did not. I had one friend that had a disabled child that I played with for 10 years and it was great. He would tee off last and hit the ball 10’. And we would hear “Go get Doc, and I’ll come pick you up.” Then he would come hold the flag when we putted. It was some thing that added to the experience and enjoyment rather than detract.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

In the mid 1980’s my SWMBO who is a true bunny hugger got the idea that we should raise a guide dog. Our daughters who were around 10 were going to help. After a family meeting that I didn’t get a vote in we applied for the opportunity. We got a crazy yellow lab ****** that was awesome. We as a family did everything by the book for training including the twice a month evaluation meetings.
The day we had to turn her in for the expert/final training was a heartbreaker.
After a couple months we got an invitation to attend her Graduation with her new master. The four of us trucked off to New York State and met her owner and all the other graduates. No dry eyes in our family.
We spent the day meeting people at the training center and gained a new appreciation for the people that do this and the awesome pups.
Our daughters hated to part with her but knew they did good!

Rick

Left Hand, 

On 3/14/2020 at 11:06 PM, JB2123 said:

Hi Everyone,

Wouldn't have a problem at all, to a well trained dog that helps you enjoy the game. I think it would be a treat. Don't worry about pace of play, most people play slower in carts, as they have no idea how to properly play with the cart partner anyway. I find walking is so much faster and more enjoyable.

• :taylormade-small: Sim 9* - Diamana white board S
  • :taylormade-small: 3W -  M2 HL 16.5 Diamana white board  X-flex
  • :callaway-small: 19 & 23 deg. X-Hot Hybrids  Fuji Pro 70 hyb S-flex
  • :ping-small:  5-PW I500 - Modus3 105 S-flex
  • :ping-small: Glide 3.0  50,54 & 60 - Custom grinds- ZZ wedge shafts
  • :taylormade-small:  Rosa  34 1/2" winn grip
  • Ball - :bridgestone-small: Tour BX /  Maxfli Tour X
  • :1590477705_SunMountain: 14/5 BAG on a :Clicgear: 2.0
  • :ShotScope:

I have no problem at all with well-behaved dogs on the course with their masters.  You sound like a considerate person, making sure the dog doesn't bother anyone.  But its important to remember that not all dogs are so well-behaved, and not all owners are so considerate, so some golf clubs could frown on the presence of animals in general.  I can see someone complaining to management "He gets to bring his dog, why can't I?"  I don't claim to know the laws around service animals,  its quite possible that management cannot prohibit them on the course, but you could be putting the course management in a difficult position.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 3/15/2020 at 8:29 AM, Shankster said:

Welcomed. Seems to be gaining traction in the UK to let dogs come out anyways. A well behaved dog, especially a service dog shouldn’t be a bother.

I’d rather have 18 holes worth of dogs out there than 18 holes worth of Slim Shady blasting from carts.

If you get Slim Shady blasting around me too long or too loud and my friend Smith &  Wesson may be blasting---- Ya know just saying or giving a fair warning

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I have no problem at all with well-behaved dogs on the course with their masters.  You sound like a considerate person, making sure the dog doesn't bother anyone.  But its important to remember that not all dogs are so well-behaved, and not all owners are so considerate, so some golf clubs could frown on the presence of animals in general.  I can see someone complaining to management "He gets to bring his dog, why can't I?"  I don't claim to know the laws around service animals,  its quite possible that management cannot prohibit them on the course, but you could be putting the course management in a difficult position.

No under Federal law they can not prohibit real certified service dogs--- Now where the line law wise is blurred is when people have "Therapy Dogs". And from what I have been told there is a difference between Therapy dogs and Service dogs. 

G

3 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

No under Federal law they can not prohibit real certified service dogs--- Now where the line law wise is blurred is when people have "Therapy Dogs". And from what I have been told there is a difference between Therapy dogs and Service dogs. 

And continuing my education, there must be a governmental agency that somehow certifies legitimate service dogs?

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

There’s a LOT of Therapy Animals passed off as Service Dogs. Saw a Therapy Pig, Rabbit, Pony and Raccoon. To me this waters down the Real Thing.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Just now, DaveP043 said:

And continuing my education, there must be a governmental agency that somehow certifies legitimate service dogs?

Yep they have certain guide lines and training to be certified. I do not know if it is administered on Federal or State level. I do know on Federal Law service dogs are covered under Americans with Disabilities Act. I know different states have different laws on Therapy Dogs. The trailer park I live in just lost a state law suit concerning a Therapy Dog. A lady had one that was a Pit Bull and gentle as a lamb. They told her she had to get rid of it. She had signed doctors statements etc and they still evicted her. Seems like Pit Bulls were not allowed in here at the time. They were also challenged in another suit by the Humane Society and some other Animal Rights Group. After losing the first one they took the clause out of the lease

G

Hi Everyone,
I would need to experience it first prior to making a decision.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

On 3/14/2020 at 11:06 PM, JB2123 said:

Hi Everyone,

I would love it! I think that a dog on the course is awesome provided that it is as well behaved as you are describing yours.

I don't think pace of play is a concern if you are walking and others are riding. I have done that before as a walker and have not slowed anyone down because I am able to walk directly to my ball and am ready to play right away. Sometimes, I even walk ahead of the group after I have hit so I am able to be at my ball and ready to play faster.

I think the only concern would be if someone in the group you are paired with is highly allergic. 

I would suggest calling the clubhouse ahead of time so if you run into an issue of someone that is allergic or not fond of dogs they could find a new time for you to play.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I love dogs even more than I love golf.

It's a good thing that I've got one now, because walking her is my only excuse for leaving the house.

She wouldn't have the right temperament for golf, though.

She barks at wildlife from the yard, so there's no reason to think that she wouldn't do that on the golf course.

On 3/16/2020 at 9:58 AM, BIG STU said:

You are correct. One of the more difficult parts of having a service dog in my opinion is that people don't really understand the ADA laws and the amount of people who abuse the law can make it tough on those who rely on their dogs and follow the laws. As of now there is no official registry or certification process so that leads to a lot of people pretending to have trained service dogs or people distorting or misunderstanding the regulations for a emotional support or therapy animal and passing them off as a service dog.

sd-esa-or-td_orig.jpg

Right Handed

Driver::taylormade-small: Sim 8 Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60

3 Wood: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback 3-4  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70

2 Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB  Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX-5 KBS $-Taper 120

Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 54 and 58 KBS Hi-Rev

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER 1.2

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BXS

15 hours ago, JB2123 said:

You are correct. One of the more difficult parts of having a service dog in my opinion is that people don't really understand the ADA laws and the amount of people who abuse the law can make it tough on those who rely on their dogs and follow the laws. As of now there is no official registry or certification process so that leads to a lot of people pretending to have trained service dogs or people distorting or misunderstanding the regulations for a emotional support or therapy animal and passing them off as a service dog.

sd-esa-or-td_orig.jpg

Thanks for posting and clarifying that--- The law suit against the park came under the fair housing act defined by the state of South Carolina. I knew a lady who had a trained Boston Terrier service dog which BTW are very smart dogs, The lady had a heart rhythm problem and had some sort of pacemaker but the Boston was trained and had a sensor on his collar when her pulse went haywire he would bark and remind her to take her medication. We met her in Home Depot one day when we had ours with us and her's had the little blue Service Dog harness on. 

G