TESTERS WANTED! ×

Bringing My Service Dog along as a single player

On 3/15/2020 at 3:45 PM, berkeleybob said:

I think I would enjoy a dog on the course. I'd welcome your service dog. My dog, however ... he hates not being included in a game, and hates giving up whatever's in his mouth without some sort of bribe being offered.

Atleast you wouldnt lose any balls on the course, pup could track them down! I would be in the same boat SMH

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

On 3/15/2020 at 8:29 AM, Shankster said:

Welcomed. Seems to be gaining traction in the UK to let dogs come out anyways. A well behaved dog, especially a service dog shouldn’t be a bother.

I’d rather have 18 holes worth of dogs out there than 18 holes worth of Slim Shady blasting from carts.

Agreed about the music. If someone wants to listen to music while they play that is fine, but i shouldn't hear it if I'm not in your group.

:taylormade-small: M5 12* - ACCRA TZ6 55 M4 - 1.5* open, weight back & toe

:titelist-small: TS3 16.5* - ACCRA FX 2.0 370 M4 - B1 setting, neutral weight

:titelist-small: 818 H1 21* - TENSEI White 90 S - C1 setting, neutral weight

:mizuno-small: MP-20 MMC 4-PW - PX LZ 5.0 110g - 2* flat & 2* weak

:mizuno-small: T20 50.07*, 54.12*, 60.06* - PX LZ 5.5 115g - 2* flat

:scotty-small:  Newport 2 - 33"

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I wouldn't have a problem as long as I knew about it before the round started. I like dogs, but it may be distracting until I realized the dog is well behaved. Watching the dog sit quietly by the putting green or driving range would do the trick.

:taylormade-small: M5 12* - ACCRA TZ6 55 M4 - 1.5* open, weight back & toe

:titelist-small: TS3 16.5* - ACCRA FX 2.0 370 M4 - B1 setting, neutral weight

:titelist-small: 818 H1 21* - TENSEI White 90 S - C1 setting, neutral weight

:mizuno-small: MP-20 MMC 4-PW - PX LZ 5.0 110g - 2* flat & 2* weak

:mizuno-small: T20 50.07*, 54.12*, 60.06* - PX LZ 5.5 115g - 2* flat

:scotty-small:  Newport 2 - 33"

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I'm with the majority and would enjoy seeing any well-behaved dog on the course .. with a responsible owner. 

To ask the flip side of the OP's question, though - and I guess as was mentioned earlier it's covered under the ADA - but can someone be excluded from playing on a golf course because they require their service dog to be with them to assist them if/ when need be..? 

Just tossing out a thought..... some people require a riding cart to be able to play - would taking a service dog really  be any different? 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

6 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

I'm with the majority and would enjoy seeing any well-behaved dog on the course .. with a responsible owner. 

To ask the flip side of the OP's question, though - and I guess as was mentioned earlier it's covered under the ADA - but can someone be excluded from playing on a golf course because they require their service dog to be with them to assist them if/ when need be..? 

Just tossing out a thought..... some people require a riding cart to be able to play - would taking a service dog really  be any different? 

Well I ain't Perry Mason and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but would have to feel that it would be covered under the ADA act. Just like handicapped access to toilets etc in a public business. I do know in the past a couple of courses here got sued in federal court over the handicapped flag thing on carts. From what I understand if conditions require CPO they have to ask at booking time if they require a handicapped flag and privileges. If so they have to tell them sorry CPO and like for members have to have the CPO signs posted. I side 110% with handicapped people in the fact they have a right to a quality of life especially a veteran. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

8 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Good thought process obviously people think differently and could probably find a reason why they can’t bring a SD but like you stated really no difference and service dogs :don’t get that tag for no reason. They are the best trained animals.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Well I ain't Perry Mason and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but would have to feel that it would be covered under the ADA act. Just like handicapped access to toilets etc in a public business. I do know in the past a couple of courses here got sued in federal court over the handicapped flag thing on carts. From what I understand if conditions require CPO they have to ask at booking time if they require a handicapped flag and privileges. If so they have to tell them sorry CPO and like for members have to have the CPO signs posted. I side 110% with handicapped people in the fact they have a right to a quality of life especially a veteran. 

Highlighted is pretty clear

F431DD84-1ED9-44A4-BEB5-570095DF4B18.png

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I side 110% with handicapped people in the fact they have a right to a quality of life especially a veteran. 

Well said. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

2 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Highlighted is pretty clear

F431DD84-1ED9-44A4-BEB5-570095DF4B18.png

We had a Hibachi restaurant in Myrtle that got sued over that very thing a few years back. They would not allow a handicapped veteran with a service dog into the dining area. The local press took it and ran. The people who operated the place were foreigners and kept repeating "we no understand" Well they understood when their restaurant was boycotted especially by local veterans and other locals spread the word to the tourist crowd. Then the Vet's lawyer wisely got their assets frozen because they were about to fly the coop overseas. Needless to say they went out of business. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

12 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

We had a Hibachi restaurant in Myrtle that got sued over that very thing a few years back. They would not allow a handicapped veteran with a service dog into the dining area. The local press took it and ran. The people who operated the place were foreigners and kept repeating "we no understand" Well they understood when their restaurant was boycotted especially by local veterans and other locals spread the word to the tourist crowd. Then the Vet's lawyer wisely got their assets frozen because they were about to fly the coop overseas. Needless to say they went out of business. 

That’s tough situation but ya know what if you’re going to come here learn the rules and regs because if you don’t this is what can happen. Over something so simple too, some laws are ridiculous but this easy to follow and is the right thing.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I side 110% with handicapped people in the fact they have a right to a quality of life especially a veteran. 

110% agree. There's a VA not too far away from me that has a great little 9 hole course on the grounds. I volunteered there for several seasons; a few of the other vols are vets of "different abilities" (yeah the PC term).

Needless to say *ALL* vets are welcome to play, alongside the regular public, though I've only seen one service dog the times I've been there. She .. beautiful Black Lab .. was part of the America's Vet Dogs program and there to socialize in a new environment. And of course the course owners / managers had absolutely zero problem letting her accompany her handler (who was riding).

Also another muni near me has a Stand Up & Play cart (donated to the course) and if that golfer has a service dog they'll let it accompany them. 👍

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

6 hours ago, Lacassem said:

That’s tough situation but ya know what if you’re going to come here learn the rules and regs because if you don’t this is what can happen. Over something so simple too, some laws are ridiculous but this easy to follow and is the right thing.

When all of this was going on I told my wife that foreigners needed to pass a test on our laws and regulations relating to their business before ever being issued a business license.  

G

5 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

110% agree. There's a VA not too far away from me that has a great little 9 hole course on the grounds. I volunteered there for several seasons; a few of the other vols are vets of "different abilities" (yeah the PC term).

Needless to say *ALL* vets are welcome to play, alongside the regular public, though I've only seen one service dog the times I've been there. She .. beautiful Black Lab .. was part of the America's Vet Dogs program and there to socialize in a new environment. And of course the course owners / managers had absolutely zero problem letting her accompany her handler (who was riding).

Also another muni near me has a Stand Up & Play cart (donated to the course) and if that golfer has a service dog they'll let it accompany them. 👍

A few years back I did a conversion on an EZ-Go golf cart for a paralyzed veteran to be able to play and hit balls. Did it back here in my shop. Someone at the VFW reached out to me and I was glad to help. Had to take the top off and build a brace and platform on the right side to the chassis for a swivel type seat. Also had to cut the bag mounts off the right side. We did have to add extra leaves to the rear springs to accommodate his weight being so far back from center. He would usually have another guy drive him and assist with handing him a club etc. He could not putt out of course but he and the guy enjoyed themselves with a big cooler of beer in the front passenger seat. The course had absolutely no problem with them in fact they did not charge him. They actually let him keep his cart in their cart barn free. If the cart needed repairs either me or the course mechanic handled it. That guy sadly passed a few years ago but at least he was getting out and happy in his final days. I played a few times with him and we would play for a couple of bucks. I would use only 3 or 4 clubs and hit from the back and he teed off at the ladies tees. Anything for him on the green was a automatic 2 putt except 10 feet in which for him was a automatic 1 putt. He would beat me sometimes out of like $2 and he would say go get me a beer. Fun times

G

On 3/15/2020 at 9:13 PM, JB2123 said:

Thanks everyone for the positive responses. That makes me feel a lot better about bringing the dog on the course with me in the future! Here's a dog pic as a thank you to everyone 

IMG_6233.JPG

87147955-1193-4340-8B01-CCCF07F89996.jpeg.2673e6214f59b0038dbf7ad0600a0e9b.jpegGoes with me late Nights on the weekend when very few people are on the course. Golf course owners love him and he displays proper golf course etiquette. 

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

Wish I could take my boys with me....

pushcart_and_puppies.jpg.02f717a116c3bc0ad96fa445371b107b.jpg

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

23 hours ago, BIG STU said:

A few years back I did a conversion on an EZ-Go golf cart for a paralyzed veteran to be able to play and hit balls.

Love it! Can't find it now but a year or two ago there was an article in a local golf mag about a trick shot pro who was disabled and had a cart just like that - swivel seat so he could turn and and then it tilted forward so he could hit. And .. in a funny coincidence .. he always had a (small) dog with him wherever he went!!!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Love it! Can't find it now but a year or two ago there was an article in a local golf mag about a trick shot pro who was disabled and had a cart just like that - swivel seat so he could turn and and then it tilted forward so he could hit. And .. in a funny coincidence .. he always had a (small) dog with him wherever he went!!!

I think he had a “Solo Cart”.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

22 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Actually that is where the cart idea came from. One of his fellow vets from the VFW saw a video on U-Tube of the same guy. That got it rolling. One of the guys knew me and knew I could weld and fabricate and had the needed equipment.  They were going to hold a fundraiser to purchase a cart. A fellow ended up donating a used stock cart because he had bought a fancy one. Someone knew someone and someone with a boat dealership donated the swivel boat seat like goes on a bass boat. Also had some scrap materials donated for fabrication. All in all this was a great experience where all the stars lined up and a deserving Veteran was helped

G

22 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Wish I could take my boys with me....

pushcart_and_puppies.jpg.02f717a116c3bc0ad96fa445371b107b.jpg

Cool

G

22 hours ago, Rickp said:

I think he had a “Solo Cart”.

The video I saw that guy had an old school EZ-GO with the metal flat fenders. They have not made those in 35 years and if you find one of those here still running the chassis is rusted out. The one we built at the time was a 2 year old fiberglass bodied one. In fact we cut the fiberglass fender off the right side at about the back of the seat and welded a solid plate with braces for the seat mount. I actually over engineered myself on that one and we had to add 3 leaves to the spring pack to keep it from sagging too much. Without him on it looked like a dirt track car with about 2 inches of wedge

G

The video I saw that guy had an old school EZ-GO with the metal flat fenders. They have not made those in 35 years and if you find one of those here still running the chassis is rusted out. The one we built at the time was a 2 year old fiberglass bodied one. In fact we cut the fiberglass fender off the right side at about the back of the seat and welded a solid plate with braces for the seat mount. I actually over engineered myself on that one and we had to add 3 leaves to the spring pack to keep it from sagging too much. Without him on it looked like a dirt track car with about 2 inches of wedge

I’m sure that the vet lived it!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I’m a dog person but I would have no issue with it. In fact, I would go turn my key to the cart back in and enjoy the walk with you. A simple conversation with playing partners would enough. Seeing how the dog is while on the course will hopefully show them things are going to be ok. Service animals serve a valid purpose and ideas in the world are ever changing. Hopefully your playing partners have open minds. 

WITB:Driver: Titleist 915D2, Diamana Whiteboard 72X

3 Wood: Callaway DR, Project X 6.5

Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot, Aldila Trinity X

Irons: 4-PW, Mizuno MP68, Project X 6.5

Wedges: 52, Callaway X Tour, Project X

56, Cleveland 588, Project X

60, Callaway Mac Daddy, Project X

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Love dogs but don't have one. I just can't imagine anyone in their right mind having a problem with having your dog with you. The person that does is not somebody I'd want to play golf with anyway.

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

If its a service dog, I cant imagine anyone having issue with it.  Just as long as people realize and respect that is a service dog, not a pet and they shouldnt try to pet or play with your dog.

My dog isnt a service dog but Id love to take her to the course with me.  It would be a disaster though.  Shes such a people dog and shes such a cute dog that it would be a disaster.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

D72F86D9-2123-456E-8C03-04A9178153F2.jpeg.84d12ceadef488be78821161a3ead962.jpegE1E44BBF-BA2B-45E4-9165-6A6AF778A3A8.jpeg.ba09a08c89768cba53d838cbfcb38812.jpeg

Got out for my first day of golf this year with the service dog today. A few course employees said I couldn’t bring the dog at first but were fine after I explained service dogs. The guy I played with was really cool with everything so that was great.

Edited by JB2123
poor format from mobile post

Right Handed

Driver::taylormade-small: Sim 8 Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60

3 Wood: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback 3-4  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70

2 Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB  Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX-5 KBS $-Taper 120

Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 54 and 58 KBS Hi-Rev

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER 1.2

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BXS

17 hours ago, JB2123 said:

Got out for my first day of golf this year with the service dog today.

He looks like he's doing a very good job .. glad it worked out! 👍

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

D72F86D9-2123-456E-8C03-04A9178153F2.jpeg.84d12ceadef488be78821161a3ead962.jpegE1E44BBF-BA2B-45E4-9165-6A6AF778A3A8.jpeg.ba09a08c89768cba53d838cbfcb38812.jpeg
Got out for my first day of golf this year with the service dog today. A few course employees said I couldn’t bring the dog at first but were fine after I explained service dogs. The guy I played with was really cool with everything so that was great.
That's awesome! You guys could play with me any time!

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

4 hours ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

That's awesome! You guys could play with me any time!

Take Dead Aim

That goes for me also

G

On 3/16/2020 at 10:55 AM, BIG STU said:

If you get Slim Shady blasting around me too long or too loud and my friend Smith &  Wesson may be blasting---- Ya know just saying or giving a fair warning

I don't know Slim Shady but I'm pretty sure I don't like him.

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

7 hours ago, braincramp said:

I don't know Slim Shady but I'm pretty sure I don't like him.

Trust me here  You ain't missing nothing just a bunch of noise called music and lots of profanity-

G