JB2123

Bringing My Service Dog along as a single player

Our Sponsors

Hi Everyone,

I was just curious how most of you would feel if a player you were paired with brought their service dog with them to the course? I usually tend to play on deal times in my local area and am paired with other players or groups. I prefer to play with my dog if I'm not with friends as she alerts me to, interrupts and provides assistance for occasional balance and vision loss issues. The dog is familiar with golf courses, does not interfere with wildlife, set foot in hazards or bunkers or on the putting greens. My primary concerns are slowing pace of play for other players by walking instead of riding and taking the time to give the dog commands between shots so she knows what to do.  Also just making sure everyone is comfortable as I know some people aren't too fond of dogs. 

What would you think if you were paired with someone playing who has a service dog accompany them and what else could I maybe do to make it as easy going for another player or group?

• Like 7

Right Handed

Driver::cobra-small: F9 Speedback Fujikura Pro 65X

3 Wood: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback 3-4  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 3-P KBS Tour C Taper Lite 115X or :cobra-small: One Length Forged 4-G Recoil F5

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Wedgeflex

Putter: :seemore-small: Si2 

I’m a dog person and would have no issue at all as long as the dog is a good pup. Especially if it’s a service dog. And if someone were to be a prick let them play on don’t need that BS

• Like 6

Currently testing for :ping-small: G710 Irons 

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal:

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60g

:adams-small: 2H & 4H VST Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW Project X 6.5 LZ    VS   :ping-small: G710 4-UW Project X 6.5 LZ

:cleveland-small: 50, 54, 58 CBX2  Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

I would find it fascinating, and a great experience, to see you enjoy playing with your service dog.

I am not really a dog fan, though have no issue when a dog is under control and well behaved, as service/assistance dogs invariably are.  If people have a problem then 'stuff em' and enjoy playing with others, and hopefully the doubters will change their attitude when they see the dog 'working' on the course.

I would say the important thing is for you to explain to your playing partners what the situation is, so they are aware of what to expect, as it will most likely be a new experience for them.  They will also have a chance to see how well behaved the dog is as you are warming up or on the practice green.  

• Like 8

I am a dog person too and would have absolutely no problem in that case. In fact I would have no problem in any case as long as the dog is behaved. I know Service Dogs are trained and needed to assist folks and that is a great thing. Anyone that has a problem with someone using a service dog in any situation is a total ass especially if a veteran is involved. In a nutshell anyone with a service dog whether they are a veteran or not is welcome to play with me any where any time

• Like 7

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

The world is changing and as people’s perceptions and tolerances adjust over time, I hope we see scenarios like this occur more often.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

No problem at all. I would enjoy having the dog along for the round.

• Like 5

Welcomed. Seems to be gaining traction in the UK to let dogs come out anyways. A well behaved dog, especially a service dog shouldn’t be a bother.

I’d rather have 18 holes worth of dogs out there than 18 holes worth of Slim Shady blasting from carts.

• Like 8

I'd love to see more people getting out to enjoy a round if they were able to freely bring their service dog with them. And let's face it - anyone who has a problem with you bringing a service dog with you to help if you become impaired is probably not someone you want to spend 18 holes with.

• Like 8

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:cobra-small:  F6
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

One of the guys in our league brings his dog along - she fits on the back of the cart through out the round. I don't have a problem - especially with a service dog they always seem to be very well behaved.. 

• Like 5

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

No issue for me but then I'm a dog lover.  It's great that "man's best friend" can also support someone's unique medical needs. 

• Like 5

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

Dogs are awesome, and a ton of courses around here either have clubhouse dogs or some hunting breeds to chase geese and groundhogs.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 5

I think I would enjoy a dog on the course. I'd welcome your service dog. My dog, however ... he hates not being included in a game, and hates giving up whatever's in his mouth without some sort of bribe being offered.

• Like 5

DRIVER :ping-small: G410 PLUS 10.5°  TENSEI CK ORANGE 60 S

FAIRWAY :ping-small: G410 3/14.5°  PROJECT X EVENFLOW BLACK 85 6.0

HYBRIDS :ping-small: G410 19°, 20°  ALTA CB 70 RED

IRONS :mizuno-small: JPX 900 FORGED 5-PW  PROJECT X LZ 5.5

WEDGES :cleveland-small: CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°

PUTTER :ping-small: KARSTEN ANSER 33"

BALL :wilson_staff_small: DUO U

Hi Everyone,
I was just curious how most of you would feel if a player you were paired with brought their service dog with them to the course? I usually tend to play on deal times in my local area and am paired with other players or groups. I prefer to play with my dog if I'm not with friends as she alerts me to, interrupts and provides assistance for occasional balance and vision loss issues. The dog is familiar with golf courses, does not interfere with wildlife, set foot in hazards or bunkers or on the putting greens. My primary concerns are slowing pace of play for other players by walking instead of riding and taking the time to give the dog commands between shots so she knows what to do.  Also just making sure everyone is comfortable as I know some people aren't too fond of dogs. 
What would you think if you were paired with someone playing who has a service dog accompany them and what else could I maybe do to make it as easy going for another player or group?

Not a problem. I like dogs more than a lot of people and special dogs like that are great with me.

• Like 5

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Thanks everyone for the positive responses. That makes me feel a lot better about bringing the dog on the course with me in the future! Here's a dog pic as a thank you to everyone 
IMG_6233.thumb.JPG.be51bda18af226e7b4f2324eef10a3f5.JPG

Great looking Pup

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

I had a dog (yellow lab) that went everywhere with me. She was not a service dog, but very well behaved. No one minded because she had no effect on play. The only issue was she had to visit every water hazard.

I’ve had many dogs since but since they are not as well behaved, they get to stay home. It is like most things. Playing partners generally couldn’t care less what or who you have with you as long as it doesn’t interfere their joy of playing.

I’ve had friends bring children with them and enjoyed them, and others I did not. I had one friend that had a disabled child that I played with for 10 years and it was great. He would tee off last and hit the ball 10’. And we would hear “Go get Doc, and I’ll come pick you up.” Then he would come hold the flag when we putted. It was some thing that added to the experience and enjoyment rather than detract.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

In the mid 1980’s my SWMBO who is a true bunny hugger got the idea that we should raise a guide dog. Our daughters who were around 10 were going to help. After a family meeting that I didn’t get a vote in we applied for the opportunity. We got a crazy yellow lab ****** that was awesome. We as a family did everything by the book for training including the twice a month evaluation meetings.
The day we had to turn her in for the expert/final training was a heartbreaker.
After a couple months we got an invitation to attend her Graduation with her new master. The four of us trucked off to New York State and met her owner and all the other graduates. No dry eyes in our family.
We spent the day meeting people at the training center and gained a new appreciation for the people that do this and the awesome pups.
Our daughters hated to part with her but knew they did good!

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

On 3/14/2020 at 11:06 PM, JB2123 said:

Hi Everyone,

Wouldn't have a problem at all, to a well trained dog that helps you enjoy the game. I think it would be a treat. Don't worry about pace of play, most people play slower in carts, as they have no idea how to properly play with the cart partner anyway. I find walking is so much faster and more enjoyable.

• Like 2

• :taylormade-small: Sim 9* - Diamana white board S
  • :taylormade-small: 3W -  M2 HL 16.5 Diamana white board  X-flex
  • :callaway-small: 19 & 23 deg. X-Hot Hybrids  Fuji Pro 70 hyb S-flex
  • :ping-small:  5-PW I500 - Modus3 105 S-flex
  • Snake Eyes 50 & 54 Custom Wedges - Dyn Gold 115 wedge shafts
  • :mizuno-small: 58deg T7 Wedge - Dyn Gold 115 wedge shaft - Custom grind
  • :taylormade-small:  Rosa  34 1/2" winn grip
  • Ball - :bridgestone-small: Tour BX /  Maxfli Tour X
  • :1590477705_SunMountain: 14/5 BAG on a :Clicgear: 2.0
  • :ShotScope:

I have no problem at all with well-behaved dogs on the course with their masters.  You sound like a considerate person, making sure the dog doesn't bother anyone.  But its important to remember that not all dogs are so well-behaved, and not all owners are so considerate, so some golf clubs could frown on the presence of animals in general.  I can see someone complaining to management "He gets to bring his dog, why can't I?"  I don't claim to know the laws around service animals,  its quite possible that management cannot prohibit them on the course, but you could be putting the course management in a difficult position.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 3/15/2020 at 8:29 AM, Shankster said:

Welcomed. Seems to be gaining traction in the UK to let dogs come out anyways. A well behaved dog, especially a service dog shouldn’t be a bother.

I’d rather have 18 holes worth of dogs out there than 18 holes worth of Slim Shady blasting from carts.

If you get Slim Shady blasting around me too long or too loud and my friend Smith &  Wesson may be blasting---- Ya know just saying or giving a fair warning

• Like 3

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck