Jump to content

Bringing My Service Dog along as a single player


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I have no problem at all with well-behaved dogs on the course with their masters.  You sound like a considerate person, making sure the dog doesn't bother anyone.  But its important to remember that not all dogs are so well-behaved, and not all owners are so considerate, so some golf clubs could frown on the presence of animals in general.  I can see someone complaining to management "He gets to bring his dog, why can't I?"  I don't claim to know the laws around service animals,  its quite possible that management cannot prohibit them on the course, but you could be putting the course management in a difficult position.

No under Federal law they can not prohibit real certified service dogs--- Now where the line law wise is blurred is when people have "Therapy Dogs". And from what I have been told there is a difference between Therapy dogs and Service dogs. 

  • Like 3

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

No under Federal law they can not prohibit real certified service dogs--- Now where the line law wise is blurred is when people have "Therapy Dogs". And from what I have been told there is a difference between Therapy dogs and Service dogs. 

And continuing my education, there must be a governmental agency that somehow certifies legitimate service dogs?

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to comment
No under Federal law they can not prohibit real certified service dogs--- Now where the line law wise is blurred is when people have "Therapy Dogs". And from what I have been told there is a difference between Therapy dogs and Service dogs. 

There’s a LOT of Therapy Animals passed off as Service Dogs. Saw a Therapy Pig, Rabbit, Pony and Raccoon. To me this waters down the Real Thing.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Rick

 

 

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Wedges; Titleist S9 54*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Link to comment
Just now, DaveP043 said:

And continuing my education, there must be a governmental agency that somehow certifies legitimate service dogs?

Yep they have certain guide lines and training to be certified. I do not know if it is administered on Federal or State level. I do know on Federal Law service dogs are covered under Americans with Disabilities Act. I know different states have different laws on Therapy Dogs. The trailer park I live in just lost a state law suit concerning a Therapy Dog. A lady had one that was a Pit Bull and gentle as a lamb. They told her she had to get rid of it. She had signed doctors statements etc and they still evicted her. Seems like Pit Bulls were not allowed in here at the time. They were also challenged in another suit by the Humane Society and some other Animal Rights Group. After losing the first one they took the clause out of the lease

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Hi Everyone,
I was just curious how most of you would feel if a player you were paired with brought their service dog with them to the course? I usually tend to play on deal times in my local area and am paired with other players or groups. I prefer to play with my dog if I'm not with friends as she alerts me to, interrupts and provides assistance for occasional balance and vision loss issues. The dog is familiar with golf courses, does not interfere with wildlife, set foot in hazards or bunkers or on the putting greens. My primary concerns are slowing pace of play for other players by walking instead of riding and taking the time to give the dog commands between shots so she knows what to do.  Also just making sure everyone is comfortable as I know some people aren't too fond of dogs. 
What would you think if you were paired with someone playing who has a service dog accompany them and what else could I maybe do to make it as easy going for another player or group?
I would need to experience it first prior to making a decision.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

Link to comment

I'd be absolutely fine with the service dog being on the course with you.  

  • Like 1

SIM2 Max

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

TM P790 5-6 

Titleist T100S 6-gap 

Vokey SM8  54

Sub70 JB low bounce 58 or SM8 58*

PXG Operator H 

Link to comment
On 3/14/2020 at 11:06 PM, JB2123 said:

Hi Everyone,

I was just curious how most of you would feel if a player you were paired with brought their service dog with them to the course? I usually tend to play on deal times in my local area and am paired with other players or groups. I prefer to play with my dog if I'm not with friends as she alerts me to, interrupts and provides assistance for occasional balance and vision loss issues. The dog is familiar with golf courses, does not interfere with wildlife, set foot in hazards or bunkers or on the putting greens. My primary concerns are slowing pace of play for other players by walking instead of riding and taking the time to give the dog commands between shots so she knows what to do.  Also just making sure everyone is comfortable as I know some people aren't too fond of dogs. 

What would you think if you were paired with someone playing who has a service dog accompany them and what else could I maybe do to make it as easy going for another player or group?

I would love it! I think that a dog on the course is awesome provided that it is as well behaved as you are describing yours.

I don't think pace of play is a concern if you are walking and others are riding. I have done that before as a walker and have not slowed anyone down because I am able to walk directly to my ball and am ready to play right away. Sometimes, I even walk ahead of the group after I have hit so I am able to be at my ball and ready to play faster.

I think the only concern would be if someone in the group you are paired with is highly allergic. 

I would suggest calling the clubhouse ahead of time so if you run into an issue of someone that is allergic or not fond of dogs they could find a new time for you to play.

  • Like 2

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Link to comment

I love dogs even more than I love golf.

It's a good thing that I've got one now, because walking her is my only excuse for leaving the house.

She wouldn't have the right temperament for golf, though.

She barks at wildlife from the yard, so there's no reason to think that she wouldn't do that on the golf course.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 3/16/2020 at 9:58 AM, BIG STU said:

No under Federal law they can not prohibit real certified service dogs--- Now where the line law wise is blurred is when people have "Therapy Dogs". And from what I have been told there is a difference between Therapy dogs and Service dogs. 

You are correct. One of the more difficult parts of having a service dog in my opinion is that people don't really understand the ADA laws and the amount of people who abuse the law can make it tough on those who rely on their dogs and follow the laws. As of now there is no official registry or certification process so that leads to a lot of people pretending to have trained service dogs or people distorting or misunderstanding the regulations for a emotional support or therapy animal and passing them off as a service dog.

sd-esa-or-td_orig.jpg

  • Like 8

Right Handed

Driver::taylormade-small: Sim 8 Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60

3 Wood: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback 3-4  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70

2 Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB  Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX-5 KBS $-Taper 120

Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 54 and 58 KBS Hi-Rev

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER 1.2

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BXS

 

 

Link to comment
15 hours ago, JB2123 said:

You are correct. One of the more difficult parts of having a service dog in my opinion is that people don't really understand the ADA laws and the amount of people who abuse the law can make it tough on those who rely on their dogs and follow the laws. As of now there is no official registry or certification process so that leads to a lot of people pretending to have trained service dogs or people distorting or misunderstanding the regulations for a emotional support or therapy animal and passing them off as a service dog.

sd-esa-or-td_orig.jpg

Thanks for posting and clarifying that--- The law suit against the park came under the fair housing act defined by the state of South Carolina. I knew a lady who had a trained Boston Terrier service dog which BTW are very smart dogs, The lady had a heart rhythm problem and had some sort of pacemaker but the Boston was trained and had a sensor on his collar when her pulse went haywire he would bark and remind her to take her medication. We met her in Home Depot one day when we had ours with us and her's had the little blue Service Dog harness on. 

  • Like 2

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
On 3/15/2020 at 3:45 PM, berkeleybob said:

I think I would enjoy a dog on the course. I'd welcome your service dog. My dog, however ... he hates not being included in a game, and hates giving up whatever's in his mouth without some sort of bribe being offered.

Atleast you wouldnt lose any balls on the course, pup could track them down! I would be in the same boat SMH

  • Like 1

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Link to comment
On 3/15/2020 at 8:29 AM, Shankster said:

Welcomed. Seems to be gaining traction in the UK to let dogs come out anyways. A well behaved dog, especially a service dog shouldn’t be a bother.

I’d rather have 18 holes worth of dogs out there than 18 holes worth of Slim Shady blasting from carts.

Agreed about the music. If someone wants to listen to music while they play that is fine, but i shouldn't hear it if I'm not in your group.

  • Like 1

:taylormade-small: M5 12* - ACCRA TZ6 55 M4 - 1.5* open, weight back & toe

:titelist-small: TS3 16.5* - ACCRA FX 2.0 370 M4 - B1 setting, neutral weight

:titelist-small: 818 H1 21* - TENSEI White 90 S - C1 setting, neutral weight

:mizuno-small: MP-20 MMC 4-PW - PX LZ 5.0 110g - 2* flat & 2* weak

:mizuno-small: T20 50.07*, 54.12*, 60.06* - PX LZ 5.5 115g - 2* flat

:scotty-small:  Newport 2 - 33"

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Link to comment

I wouldn't have a problem as long as I knew about it before the round started. I like dogs, but it may be distracting until I realized the dog is well behaved. Watching the dog sit quietly by the putting green or driving range would do the trick.

  • Like 2

:taylormade-small: M5 12* - ACCRA TZ6 55 M4 - 1.5* open, weight back & toe

:titelist-small: TS3 16.5* - ACCRA FX 2.0 370 M4 - B1 setting, neutral weight

:titelist-small: 818 H1 21* - TENSEI White 90 S - C1 setting, neutral weight

:mizuno-small: MP-20 MMC 4-PW - PX LZ 5.0 110g - 2* flat & 2* weak

:mizuno-small: T20 50.07*, 54.12*, 60.06* - PX LZ 5.5 115g - 2* flat

:scotty-small:  Newport 2 - 33"

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Link to comment

I'm with the majority and would enjoy seeing any well-behaved dog on the course .. with a responsible owner. 

 

To ask the flip side of the OP's question, though - and I guess as was mentioned earlier it's covered under the ADA - but can someone be excluded from playing on a golf course because they require their service dog to be with them to assist them if/ when need be..? 

Just tossing out a thought..... some people require a riding cart to be able to play - would taking a service dog really  be any different? 

  • Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..PXG Gen 5 0311XF (PX EvenFlow Riptide CB 50/5.0)
..Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (UST ProForce V2-HL 5/F3)
..Callaway Epic SuperHybrid 4H (SteelFiber fc65/F2)
..Callaway Big Bertha 5H (Recoil ZT9 460/F3)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT 60/A) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
..EvnRoll ER5 or MLA XDream (..Edel EAS 4.0 on the bench)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

Link to comment
6 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

I'm with the majority and would enjoy seeing any well-behaved dog on the course .. with a responsible owner. 

 

To ask the flip side of the OP's question, though - and I guess as was mentioned earlier it's covered under the ADA - but can someone be excluded from playing on a golf course because they require their service dog to be with them to assist them if/ when need be..? 

Just tossing out a thought..... some people require a riding cart to be able to play - would taking a service dog really  be any different? 

Well I ain't Perry Mason and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but would have to feel that it would be covered under the ADA act. Just like handicapped access to toilets etc in a public business. I do know in the past a couple of courses here got sued in federal court over the handicapped flag thing on carts. From what I understand if conditions require CPO they have to ask at booking time if they require a handicapped flag and privileges. If so they have to tell them sorry CPO and like for members have to have the CPO signs posted. I side 110% with handicapped people in the fact they have a right to a quality of life especially a veteran. 

  • Like 3

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
8 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

I'm with the majority and would enjoy seeing any well-behaved dog on the course .. with a responsible owner. 

 

To ask the flip side of the OP's question, though - and I guess as was mentioned earlier it's covered under the ADA - but can someone be excluded from playing on a golf course because they require their service dog to be with them to assist them if/ when need be..? 

Just tossing out a thought..... some people require a riding cart to be able to play - would taking a service dog really  be any different? 

Good thought process obviously people think differently and could probably find a reason why they can’t bring a SD but like you stated really no difference and service dogs :don’t get that tag for no reason. They are the best trained animals.

  • Like 1

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Link to comment
1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Well I ain't Perry Mason and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but would have to feel that it would be covered under the ADA act. Just like handicapped access to toilets etc in a public business. I do know in the past a couple of courses here got sued in federal court over the handicapped flag thing on carts. From what I understand if conditions require CPO they have to ask at booking time if they require a handicapped flag and privileges. If so they have to tell them sorry CPO and like for members have to have the CPO signs posted. I side 110% with handicapped people in the fact they have a right to a quality of life especially a veteran. 

Highlighted is pretty clear

F431DD84-1ED9-44A4-BEB5-570095DF4B18.png

  • Like 2

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Link to comment
2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

 I side 110% with handicapped people in the fact they have a right to a quality of life especially a veteran. 

Well said. 

  • Like 3

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X  And Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Highlighted is pretty clear

F431DD84-1ED9-44A4-BEB5-570095DF4B18.png

We had a Hibachi restaurant in Myrtle that got sued over that very thing a few years back. They would not allow a handicapped veteran with a service dog into the dining area. The local press took it and ran. The people who operated the place were foreigners and kept repeating "we no understand" Well they understood when their restaurant was boycotted especially by local veterans and other locals spread the word to the tourist crowd. Then the Vet's lawyer wisely got their assets frozen because they were about to fly the coop overseas. Needless to say they went out of business. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

We had a Hibachi restaurant in Myrtle that got sued over that very thing a few years back. They would not allow a handicapped veteran with a service dog into the dining area. The local press took it and ran. The people who operated the place were foreigners and kept repeating "we no understand" Well they understood when their restaurant was boycotted especially by local veterans and other locals spread the word to the tourist crowd. Then the Vet's lawyer wisely got their assets frozen because they were about to fly the coop overseas. Needless to say they went out of business. 

That’s tough situation but ya know what if you’re going to come here learn the rules and regs because if you don’t this is what can happen. Over something so simple too, some laws are ridiculous but this easy to follow and is the right thing.

  • Like 3

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...