TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is Club Champion worth it?

Mr. 82

So I am staying with my sister for 10 days here near Asheville, NC, and I checked and not only is there Top Golf in Greenville, SC an hour away 😛 but there is also a Club Champion in both Charlotte and Greenville, each within an easy drive, which definitely wasn't the case where I live in Tallahassee.

I've been considering seeing them to see if there is a better option for both my PING G400 driver and fairway club then the standard stock shaft in both.  From everything I've seen with Club Champion their goal is to evaluate every club by select manufacturers to find the one that is best for you.  But what if I life the clubs I currently have and just want to see if there is a better shaft that might perhaps increase distance in both clubs?  Is that something I can stipulate up front with them?

Also, I noticed a fitting session for those two clubs alone is $200 (they have a 33% discount, so that would soften the blow a bit).  That's a lot of money to me, but if I can go in there and have them evaluate everything with my driver and fairway club and find some improvement, distance wise, then I am definitely interested.  I just don't know if it would be worth the investment, especially since I am sort of straying from their conventional fitting model in that I want to keep my current clubs and just see if the shafts can be upgraded to something better.

Anyone have any thoughts on all of this?  Anyone do a club champion fitting and can offer me some advice, tips, or suggestions before committing to it?

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I think you’re on the right thought process.......just consider it an investment like a couple lessons.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I’ve have seen mixed reviews on club champion fittings, mostly based around the experience itself due to the attitude/approach of the fitter. personally I’m not a fan of indoor fittings because I prefer to see the actual ball flight and how the ball reacts. 

Im not sure how the process works for getting current club optimized but you are paying for a service there so I don’t see why they wouldn’t fit your current club to find the best combo/setup.

As for whether it’s worth it that really depends on the person but also what/how much is gained thru an optimization fitting. If a person was properly fit for their club the chances of seeing more than 5 yards in carry or a large improvement in dispersion will probably be low. 

The $134 plus cost of shaft, grip, etc it may not be worth it to every person. Then there’s the chance that there is no better combo is the $134 worth that peace of mind. 

I personally would only pay for a fitting if I was in the market for something new and that would be after doing some self testing to see if there were enough gains over my current club. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

CarlH summed it up pretty well. If they are doing a 33% discount they must be a new store; if so, then they typically do 50% on full bag which would be cheaper than the 2 clubs.

Ultimately, you are paying them, so they should do what you want regarding the fitting. If the full bag is cheaper, you might go try doing a bag gapping instead of
Looking for new clubs.

I did a CC fitting a couple of years ago simply to learn about the process, analyze my own bag, and learn a few things. I have access to a launch monitor so it was helpful for doing my own analysis.

Cost and value are based on the individual. Right now I would love to do a driver fitting because I think I am leaving something on the table from a distance perspective. However, the cost/value proposition isn’t high enough for me to do a fitting at club champion.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I did not have a good experience but that could be the store I went too. 

First odd they didn't measure me for anything, looked at my swing or lie angle. I took about a half dozen swings and they started to get me into exotic shafts (which I really didn't want to get unto) mainly because of the cost. I wanted to try different heads but they also said that I wasn't a good candidate for some of the heads, why (??). 

This was supposed to be a 3 hour session, and it lasted about 1 1/2 hours and by the time I was finished my arms were dragging. I must have taken about 100 swings, I had a small break, but still I was dragging. 

I decided I wanted to keep the driver as is because I didn't see any results markedly better than what I had. On to irons.

Playing CF16, we went through several shafts, and the one that THEY said was better was a Paderson Kinnetic shaft. To replace my whole set of irons shafts (8) with grips and installation was a little over $1200. They were charging me 100 per shaft. I went on the Golfwroks site and the same shaft costs $69.00. I decided to have a single iron replaced with the recommended shaft. Bottom line, for shaft, installation cost, grip, grip installation and spinning (highly recommended) was another $35, plus shipping because it had to be sent to Chicago for the repairs. I later learned that the Paderson shaft has no spine because of it's construction! The bill was over $200 + tax. Lesson learned.

Oh the 5i with the shaft, it didn't work out, just a little too whippy for my swing. I was told I could bring it back and they would put me in another shaft, NO THANKS!

I have heard good things about CC, obviously this store didn't meet those standards. 

:ping-small: G400 MAX  Ping Tour 65

:cobra-small: FW 15* King F-7 :Fuji: PRO-65

:ping-small: G400 Hybrid Alta CB-70

PXG 0211 5-SW Mitsubishi MMT Graphite

:titelist-small: AP1 52* SW TT XP-95

:taylormade-small: MG 58* TT DG Wedge

Scotty Cameron Custom welded LN 

Grips- GP MCC+4

I can let you know in a couple weeks. I just did a CC driver fitting and got my new after market shaft Friday, hope to play it this week. The process was slick but a little hokey/rigged and cookie cutter IMO. Their process all but guarantees a recommendation for new shafts and/or heads whether you'll really benefit or not. And their "guarantee" won't change that.

Until I see actual results (or lack thereof) on course, I won't have an opinion. Frankly I hope I do see an improvement. If not I've learned a $450 lesson...

[update: the CC fitting was worthless. I ended up selling the shaft they recommended for about 15 cents on the dollar. I will never go to CC again for anything.]

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

3 hours ago, Mr. 82 said:

But what if I life the clubs I currently have and just want to see if there is a better shaft that might perhaps increase distance in both clubs?  Is that something I can stipulate up front with them?

Also, I noticed a fitting session for those two clubs alone is $200 (they have a 33% discount, so that would soften the blow a bit).  That's a lot of money to me, but if I can go in there and have them evaluate everything with my driver and fairway club and find some improvement, distance wise, then I am definitely interested.  I just don't know if it would be worth the investment, especially since I am sort of straying from their conventional fitting model in that I want to keep my current clubs and just see if the shafts can be upgraded to something better.

Anyone have any thoughts on all of this?  Anyone do a club champion fitting and can offer me some advice, tips, or suggestions before committing to it?

I haven’t done a fitting with CC, but I have been looking into it as well. I reached out to them to inquire about optimizing some of the current clubs in my bag and they confirmed that they can do it. You’ll just need to address that upfront when making your appointment.

I agree that $200 does seem a bit steep just to look at 2-3 clubs (same thing I’m looking at primarily), but for $150 more you can be fit for the entire bag. Even if you have absolutely no intentions of buying anything beyond a couple shafts, knowing what to look for in your next set of irons/wedges/putter adds a lot more value to the fitting IMO. If you also consider the intangibles such as the knowledge gained from such a fitting experience... well, it just seems like even more value.

However, I have heard good and bad about CC and while some experiences can certainly be summed up by the fitter, I think it also depends what the golfer’s mindset is going in. At the end of the day, they do offer a performance guarantee so if you’re unhappy after the fact, you do have a course of action to take.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

4 hours ago, TENBUCK said:

irst odd they didn't measure me for anything, looked at my swing or lie angle. I took about a half dozen swings

The vast majority of fitters especially the good ones don’t do any measurements. Wrist to floor means nothing when standing straight up. Good fitters can watch a persons swing and see how the move, how they load the shaft and how they deliver it. Using a sharpie line on the ball vice a lie board is how many go about checking lie and length.

if the guys at tpi measured @Golfspy_CG2 they would have put him in 1” long clubs but instead based on how he swung they went with their standard length and even contemplated going shorter. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I don't think @ChiefMikeOfficer could have put it any better. As for static fitting, I think we're seeing a trend away from that and it's unsettling for those who are used to it or build clubs as a hobby and lack the tools used by professional fitters. TrackMan and GC Quad (and I'm sure several others that I'm unaware of) have the ability to measure what the club head is doing at impact and see how the ball is reacting to your input. What happens at impact is all that matters, and this data provides them enough information to determine if you need a different lie angle or more length, etc. Granted, I do still see some merits to static fitting (primarily, how it could possibly save some time), but I wouldn't be disappointed by a fitter that skipped over it so long as they have the capability to see what's going on at impact.

9 hours ago, Mr. 82 said:

So I am staying with my sister for 10 days here near Asheville, NC, and I checked and not only is there Top Golf in Greenville, SC an hour away 😛 but there is also a Club Champion in both Charlotte and Greenville, each within an easy drive, which definitely wasn't the case where I live in Tallahassee.

I've been considering seeing them to see if there is a better option for both my PING G400 driver and fairway club then the standard stock shaft in both.  From everything I've seen with Club Champion their goal is to evaluate every club by select manufacturers to find the one that is best for you.  But what if I life the clubs I currently have and just want to see if there is a better shaft that might perhaps increase distance in both clubs?  Is that something I can stipulate up front with them?

I always rationalize the cost of a fitting to the price of a club that didn't work for me. I'd prefer spending the fitting dollars then buying a club and having to resell it at a loss. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

2 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

I don't think @ChiefMikeOfficer could have put it any better. As for static fitting, I think we're seeing a trend away from that and it's unsettling for those who are used to it or build clubs as a hobby and lack the tools used by professional fitters. TrackMan and GC Quad (and I'm sure several others that I'm unaware of) have the ability to measure what the club head is doing at impact and see how the ball is reacting to your input. What happens at impact is all that matters, and this data provides them enough information to determine if you need a different lie angle or more length, etc. Granted, I do still see some merits to static fitting (primarily, how it could possibly save some time), but I wouldn't be disappointed by a fitter that skipped over it so long as they have the capability to see what's going on at impact.

Bingo!! This along as @RickyBobby_PR said, my fitter used his 30 years experience watching ball flights and the trackman resutls if club path face angle other parameters to determine the proper specs. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I can vouch for Club Champion in Charlotte and especially Bruce. I think weather a fitting is good or bad depends mostly on the fitter, not necessarily the company they work for, and you knowing what you want out of it. To me it’s worth it just for the use of the launch monitor and the expertise of the fitter is a big plus. You’re paying for the experience so all you need to do is be honest up front on what you do/don’t want out of it. I will say that it may be tough to get an appointment on short notice, sometimes they’re booked out a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been fit a couple times including once at CC. IMO if you have pro level consistency then fitting is probably great, but for somebody like me who plays at a 14, my swing is a little different every time I play. Plus do you really think 10-15 swings is enough to get an honest analysis of how you’ll be swinging over the next 30 rounds of golf, or enough to truly understand the subtle differences in shafts? Not in my case but maybe it’ll work for you.

On 3/16/2020 at 3:03 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

The vast majority of fitters especially the good ones don’t do any measurements. Wrist to floor means nothing when standing straight up. Good fitters can watch a persons swing and see how the move, how they load the shaft and how they deliver it. Using a sharpie line on the ball vice a lie board is how many go about checking lie and length.

if the guys at tpi measured @Golfspy_CG2 they would have put him in 1” long clubs but instead based on how he swung they went with their standard length and even contemplated going shorter. 

I agree with you to a point. When you say "the vast majority of fitters especially the good ones", how do we as customers know that our fitter is good? @Golfspy_CG2 say that his fitter has 30 years of experience, which is fantastic that he has a relationship with a fitter that good, I didn't. You can take probably 10 fitters some good, some meh, and some that are tops and you'll probably get several different answers about being measured. I for one would like to know what my "specs" are when I got fitted. I read a quote from a master fitter who said"The shaft matching a golfer's swing I'd say is 80 percent of the fitting process, with length, loft, lie and grip making up the other 20 percent." 

Grips- GP MCC+4

I forgot to add, when you have a fitter telling you how important to have your clubs spined, you agree, and then you find out that the club you're getting has no spine because of its construction, you kind of doubt their whole process and what they should have or not have done.

Again, this is probably not representative of the whole CC, but it was my experience and that's the only thing I have to go by when someone say CC.

Grips- GP MCC+4

I've done 2 fittings at CC, at 2 different locations, and both were not good experiences. Fitters were not really informed about their product and just read off numbers to me. I would do research on the fitters at the location first before committing to a fitting.

For me I won't go back to those locations unless they get other fitters. But I'm sure other locations might have good fitters. Good luck.

Edited by Dko213

20 hours ago, PuffyC said:

Been fit a couple times including once at CC. IMO if you have pro level consistency then fitting is probably great, but for somebody like me who plays at a 14, my swing is a little different every time I play. Plus do you really think 10-15 swings is enough to get an honest analysis of how you’ll be swinging over the next 30 rounds of golf, or enough to truly understand the subtle differences in shafts? Not in my case but maybe it’ll work for you.

You'd be surprised - as most golfers would be - at how consistent you can actually swing the golf club. Inconsistent golf shots does not necessarily equal an inconsistent swing. There are many variables that determine where the golf ball goes. I was probably somewhere close to your handicap when I first went to a fitter to do a gap analysis. Except for a few clubs, it only took about 5 swings with each to collect the data we needed because my input variables were so consistent.

47 minutes ago, TENBUCK said:

I forgot to add, when you have a fitter telling you how important to have your clubs spined, you agree, and then you find out that the club you're getting has no spine because of its construction, you kind of doubt their whole process and what they should have or not have done.

Again, this is probably not representative of the whole CC, but it was my experience and that's the only thing I have to go by when someone say CC.

Depends on whether or not the fitter is recommending spine alignment or SST PURE shaft alignment. SST PUREing isn't quite the same as spine alignment. While both methods attempt to achieve the same thing, the processes are markedly different. Since CC advertises SST PURE technology, I'm going to assume that's what they all go with.

2 hours ago, TENBUCK said:

I agree with you to a point. When you say "the vast majority of fitters especially the good ones", how do we as customers know that our fitter is good? @Golfspy_CG2 say that his fitter has 30 years of experience, which is fantastic that he has a relationship with a fitter that good, I didn't. You can take probably 10 fitters some good, some meh, and some that are tops and you'll probably get several different answers about being measured. I for one would like to know what my "specs" are when I got fitted. I read a quote from a master fitter who said"The shaft matching a golfer's swing I'd say is 80 percent of the fitting process, with length, loft, lie and grip making up the other 20 percent." 

It’s like finding a good instructor. Some research and more than likely an “interview” to find their philosophy. As technology has changed with the use of launch monitors fittings have changed as have fitters. Not saying younger fitters aren’t good because o know some that trust to fit me and some older ones I will never use again. Some use the monitor and nothing but and aren’t paying attention to the golfers swing to see how they swing and how that affects the ball flight. I’ve had fitting from ping HQ in back to back years. The two guys in year one were good. They weren’t focused on the monitor other than to confirm what we saw in ball flight and used my feedback to make adjustments. The guys that came the following year were terrible and I watched them fit 1 person before me and two after. They were solely focused on what the monitor was telling them and had no concept of ball flight or contact on the face and how it was affecting the ball. They didn’t even attempt to try different shafts to see if it could change anything on the results.

The last time I’ve seen anyone do a measurement of any sort was 5+ years ago and it was using the ping chart. The ping fitters don’t even use that method anymore. It’s probably been as long since I saw anyone with a lie board. The ones I’ve seen use it do it to show the client the change a lie angle has. 

2 hours ago, TENBUCK said:

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

Depends on whether or not the fitter is recommending spine alignment or SST PURE shaft alignment. SST PUREing isn't quite the same as spine alignment. While both methods attempt to achieve the same thing, the processes are markedly different. Since CC advertises SST PURE technology, I'm going to assume that's what they all go with.

Interesting discussion and I know this thread really isn't the right place but what the heck threads go off the rails all the time 🙂  

Puring, floing, spine align from what I know are basically the same thing.   Puring is a process done by SST that involves expensive machines to find the spine.   Lots of people will tell you it is great while others will say it isn't necessary,  especially shaft manufacturers.  Actually had this discussion with Harry and a couple of others at MGS headquarters.  They had had their shafts flo'd and said that there is a noticeable difference.    Said I wanted to try it out and compare flo'd versus non flo'd shafts.  Hopefully it will be one of the upcoming lab tests. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Interesting discussion and I know this thread really isn't the right place but what the heck threads go off the rails all the time 🙂  

Puring, floing, spine align from what I know are basically the same thing.   Puring is a process done by SST that involves expensive machines to find the spine.   Lots of people will tell you it is great while others will say it isn't necessary,  especially shaft manufacturers.  Actually had this discussion with Harry and a couple of others at MGS headquarters.  They had had their shafts flo'd and said that there is a noticeable difference.    Said I wanted to try it out and compare flo'd versus non flo'd shafts.  Hopefully it will be one of the upcoming lab tests. 

I think that would make for an interesting test. When I Googled SST Pure vs. Spine Align, a test did pop-up in the results, but the testers used an About Golf simulator. I’m not sure how accurate those simulators are, but I’d expect something like the GC Quad to be better.

I am happy with my recent driver fitting.  It's REALLY expensive though.  You WILL have buyers remorse.  That said, my accuracy and distance greatly improved with the shaft that was recommended.  And for a while I won't have a wandering eye as I hit every driver head out there.  So overall, OK.

To save cash, I suggest you just do the fitting and purchase the head or shafts elsewhere and install yourself.  I don't believe that Champion builds to tighter specs than the OEM. And if they did, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't notice.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

As a regular customer of theirs, I’m always confused by the perception that Club Champion is “crazy expensive”. Their prices are the same as every other retailer in the business on equipment. Prices on new model year equipment don’t really change from one retailer to another. The only thing you pay more for is their services, which are 100% your decision. I feel like the fittings are reasonable considering you get all the latest equipment and technology. Then you can do what you please with that information. The other thing I never hear people mention is the extras that come with your purchase. They stand behind their work so you can go back anytime for adjustments. If you think your swing has changed in a few months, you go back and test it out and they’ll make the needed adjustments. If you spend $1000 over a years time then you get discounts and extra time in the hitting bays. I’m cheap and always looking to save a buck but I can see the value in what they’re doing.

Where people get lost is just how much equipment costs. If you’re not lookin to spend a few grand on an iron set or a thousand dollars on a driver. Then you need to stick with shafts offered by the manufacturer. That needs to be decided during the interview before your fitting though, before you fall in love with a high dollar aftermarket shaft.

I've had a full bag fitting and I can say that I walked away a little bit more confident in the equipment that I had after I was finished.  The only club that I had better numbers with was the driver and where we spent the most time.  So you can take that two ways.  One being that it wasn't worth the money to do the fitting as it didn't give me any better clubs except driver.  Or the other being that I was confident that I had the best combo after hitting several others.  For me, it was a mix of both.

I'd advise to keep some cards close to chest and go in telling the guy that you are open to all equipment changes so they try to push the best equipment.  I felt like I steered my fitter a bit and most of that was my own fault.  I didn't get much out of the putter or wedge fittings for example and really wanted to try more.  The other advice is to schedule a full bag fitting over two different days.  This will give you more time and not rush you or the fitter on any club categories.  As many have said, wait until you are in peak form as well for best results.

35 minutes ago, LeftyRM7 said:

If you’re not lookin to spend a few grand on an iron set or a thousand dollars on a driver. Then you need to stick with shafts offered by the manufacturer

My issue is that club champion charges the full MSRP of the stock shaft and tacks on more with the upgraded shaft than what you could get elsewhere.  Most times it's an upcharge yes, but far less than what Club Champion charges.  If you're talking about irons, then it gets to be crazy.  

Another point at least for me, is that I'm lucky enough to have a local custom golf shop that has a trackman and really knows there stuff.  I purchased my irons from them a year prior to my Club Champion visit and the irons still outperformed any head/shaft combo in my fitting experience so I trust they do a nice job for me.  Not sure if others have tried this route, but many times a local pro shop with a nice launch monitor CAN be a good option and provide similar results.  Lastly, the shop gets far better deals than anywhere else so I have a lot of savings there.  Example I got my custom Mizuno irons 4 - PW in 2018 (when new) for $850 compared to $1099 in all retail prices.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Interesting discussion and I know this thread really isn't the right place but what the heck threads go off the rails all the time   

That would be cool if they do it completely blind, with no results on the screen above to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

8 hours ago, LeftyRM7 said:

As a regular customer of theirs, I’m always confused by the perception that Club Champion is “crazy expensive”. Their prices are the same as every other retailer in the business on equipment. Prices on new model year equipment don’t really change from one retailer to another. The only thing you pay more for is their services, which are 100% your decision. I feel like the fittings are reasonable considering you get all the latest equipment and technology. Then you can do what you please with that information. The other thing I never hear people mention is the extras that come with your purchase. They stand behind their work so you can go back anytime for adjustments. If you think your swing has changed in a few months, you go back and test it out and they’ll make the needed adjustments. If you spend $1000 over a years time then you get discounts and extra time in the hitting bays. I’m cheap and always looking to save a buck but I can see the value in what they’re doing.

Where people get lost is just how much equipment costs. If you’re not lookin to spend a few grand on an iron set or a thousand dollars on a driver. Then you need to stick with shafts offered by the manufacturer. That needs to be decided during the interview before your fitting though, before you fall in love with a high dollar aftermarket shaft.

Fair enough.  The only thing is that if you pay full price for a driver with stock shaft and then you pay full price for the suggested shaft, they should at least also give you the stock shaft you paid for in addition to the custom one.  You could recoup a couple of bucks.  --- Like I said, expensive, but I dont regret it. 

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

Fair enough.  The only thing is that if you pay full price for a driver with stock shaft and then you pay full price for the suggested shaft, they should at least also give you the stock shaft you paid for in addition to the custom one.  You could recoup a couple of bucks.  --- Like I said, expensive, but I dont regret it. 

I don’t believe that has anything to do with Club Champion, that’s just the way the golf industry does it. I’ve never seen any dealer selling heads only for a discount. If you were to order a driver from anywhere with an aftermarket shaft not offered then you would be paying full price for both. Actually when I got fit for my driver and I was deciding between 2 shafts, one offered by OEM and one not, my fitter suggested ordering the club with the OEM shaft and the other shaft separately if I wanted the upcharged shaft. Same price but I could sell the OEM to make back some of the money like you said.

I get where you are coming from, it’s obviously a flaw in the way the industry does it but it goes to show how little the OEMs value the mass produced “stock shafts” that the clubs come with. Makes you think...

14 hours ago, Dr Strangelove said:

12 hours ago, LeftyRM7 said:

I don’t believe that has anything to do with Club Champion, that’s just the way the golf industry does it. I’ve never seen any dealer selling heads only for a discount. If you were to order a driver from anywhere with an aftermarket shaft not offered then you would be paying full price for both. Actually when I got fit for my driver and I was deciding between 2 shafts, one offered by OEM and one not, my fitter suggested ordering the club with the OEM shaft and the other shaft separately if I wanted the upcharged shaft. Same price but I could sell the OEM to make back some of the money like you said.

I get where you are coming from, it’s obviously a flaw in the way the industry does it but it goes to show how little the OEMs value the mass produced “stock shafts” that the clubs come with. Makes you think...

You got it. Go to any golf store website or the manufacturer themselves who offer sales online like TM. Choose a driver and customize it with the upgrade shafts they offer. You will pay the same price for the driver as with the no upcharge shaft plus the cost of the upgrade shaft. The good thing about the price of getting the upgrade shaft with the purchase is you save about $100 compared to if you bought it separately.

now if you get an upgrade shaft that the brand doesn’t offer then you have to buy the driver with the free shaft and but the aftermarket shaft from an authorized dealer at full price.

Club champion has to pay the price of the club with shaft. That cost goes to the customer along with the shaft they get fit to.