TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is Club Champion worth it?

Mr. 82

Granted, this was posted 7 months ago. “Is it worth it?”  
CC will charge $134 fitting fee. A new shaft not named Ping will likely run north of $125. But CC will only fit to a new head and charge you for the shaft. Even if they waive the fee it will be north of $600 for a new club. Going elsewhere for a shaft will likely run over $150, potentially over $300. So the CC fee and the shaft will be around $300. And you won’t know if the CC shaft recommendation will still be optimal in the previous edition you own. 
Or find a pro shop that fits Ping. Throw out the fitting fee for a G425 purchase and that will be $500 and then minus $225 trade in for the G410 and the net will be $275.   It will either perform better than the G410, or you spent $75 to confirm the current is a keeper. 
Once you get into the nether world of multiple shafts, price can lose objectivity. So upgrading to get an optimal shaft is not crazy. 

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH

9 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There are as many good experiences with CC as there are bad. Most of the bad are like yours due to lack of research about the business model and/or fitter.

But one could find a bad fitter anywhere just like they can good ones. The CC fitters at the locations in the DC area are really good.

I’d be OK with that if there weren’t so many novice, higher handicap players, who are told to get fit on this forum - with no caveats about research. How on earth would they be able to “research” and find a great fitter?

And how is it OK for CC to have any incompetent fitters since they’re charging $150 and up plus build costs if you buy? My CC fitter didn’t know squat, but I couldn’t see that until after the fact. And yes I know you’ll disagree…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

4 hours ago, Middler said:

I’d be OK with that if there weren’t so many novice, higher handicap players, who are told to get fit on this forum - with no caveats about research. How on earth would they be able to “research” and find a great fitter?

And how is it OK for CC to have any incompetent fitters since they’re charging $150 and up plus build costs if you buy? My CC fitter didn’t know squat, but I couldn’t see that until after the fact. And yes I know you’ll disagree…

Do people in this day and age really need to be told to do research? People do it all the time for any product they are interested in or place they want to go eat or visit. How do people research any product they are interested in? 

There’s an entire world of knowledge and information at ones fingertips. It’s as simple as choosing a search engine and typing in whatever phrase, word or string they want to look up. The lack of individual accountability has to stop.

I’m not in the know on CC’s interview and hiring practices or internal training, not have I visited any of their facilities to talk with their fitters so I can’t say how they hire or consider a fitter an acceptable employee or what determines their tenure with the company.  Who is to say that or by what metrics is it determined that a fitter is incompetent or that they have a large scale problem of incompetent fitters? All we get is one sided story from a customer on their experience. It could easily be that the customer lacked the understanding of what a fitting entails, how a fitting is done or even failed to communicate to the fitter their expectations, their budget, their game along with not communicating thoughts on the club(s) that were used during the fitting. Fittings are a two way communication.

CC has been around for a long time. The one I’m most familiar with has been around for more than a decade. Anyone in the modern technology era who goes there and chose not to do any type of search on their services is at fault for any bad experience they have. 

Now I’m not saying that CC doesn’t have any incompetent fitters but 1) I would say that’s less likely the case 2) why does golf get held to some higher standard and people act like there can’t be bad fitters, coaches, staff? Theres incompetent people getting paid for their services in all kinds of industries.

I personally wouldn’t go to a CC for any club building work because of their price. I wouldn’t and haven’t gone there for a fitting because I prefer to see my entire ball flight unless it was the only option around.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

6 hours ago, Middler said:

I agree it is very difficult for someone to find a good fitter. Going into any store we expect the salesperson/store representative to be knowledgeable.   We hear the stories on here everyday about how bad the fitters are in many of the stores: you are an example of that.  But what is the alternative?  Whose to say the independent fitter is any more competent and will give a better fitting.   We see it everyday on this forum; people ask which club should I get and why doesn’t this club go farther or straighter.  Other than going to some store and trying clubs how to people figure out what is best for them?  The overwhelming majority of golfers have the mindset that newer is better and that set of clubs on the wall is better than my set.   Other than telling someone to go get fit, what is a better thing to tell people?  Like many I would expect an expensive fitting at a place like club champion to be a good fitting. But we also go to expensive restaurants and get bad meals and service and our expensive cars breakdown and the dealers provide poor customer service.  What do you think is a better option to tell people?  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I live in Greenville and love Haas Family Golf (Club champion has partnered with Haas) and I have heard great things from them. You also can't beat the top golf here. It's worth it.  Enjoy!

Just your typical average golfer...if there's a tree, I'll hit it!

On 4/21/2021 at 9:15 AM, revkev said:

I read this entire thread and two thinks popped out for me.

1. I’m glad I live in a place where there are multiple fitting options.
2. How did Tony’s fitting go?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rev if you're asking about my Driver fitting.: I was disappointed that CC didn't have all of the heads in a left hand orientation. Specially I wanted to try the Radspeed which they didn't have. Also I had just pulled my hamstring so I wasn't in great shape but pushed to get it done before we left Florida last spring. After multiple heads and shafts the best combo was the SIm2 D with an Oban Devotion shaft -$800 plus tax. However, compared to my 410 SFT I only got an extra 10 + yds with roughly the same dispersion. The young man fitting me was honest and said do you really want to spend $800 for an extra 10+ yds. Easy answer to that was no. I think I can easily get that by recommitting myself to Superspeed.

If I had a better game and unlimited funds I would recommend this shop in Brandon. However, I'm also very happy with my fitter in Ohio, an independent shop that has all of the fitting carts in my hand orientation.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing for maybe 20 some years but I live on Guam and never had a fitting done. I am now 58 and had my 1st fitting at Club Champion in Del Mar and it was the best investment I have done to my golf journey. It was expensive yes it was because I changed my whole bag except for the wedges (which was a mistake). I could not be happier and saw some decent improvement in my game.

But before going to golf champion I went to the PGA Store and see if I could save money but I ended buying the wrong driver and shaft and they bent the lie on my PXG irons out of whack (3 degrees upright) and I could not hit my irons and that is the reason went to Club Champion.

Edited by Guam135i

Driver: Callaway Epic MX LS, Mitsubishi Diamana ZF Series 40 R-Flex

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diaman Thump Fairway 55 R-Flex

Hybrid: PXG 0317x GEN4 19 degree, Fujikura Ventus Hybrid Blue 7R

PXG 0311x GEN2 22 degree, Fujikura Ventus Hybrid Blue 7R

5 -Gw irons: Srixon ZX4, KBS Tour Graphite 60g Taper Shaft R-Flex

Wedges: 54 and 58 degree, SM8, Tour Graphite shaft 70g  R -Flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select 

I hate the adapter system they use at Club Champion. The adapter system they use adds quite a bit of weight and increases the static weight and swingweight. 

During a driver fitting, i mentioned that all the drivers felt super heavy. I asked if the swingweight could be measured. I went back with the fitter to the swingweight scale and the driver was at like E2 or E3. I asked if we could swap out the adjustable weight in the head, and he said no, they dont have any other weights. 

I believe it is True Spec that owns the patent for that fitting adapter system. When they build their fitting clubs, they account for the weight.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

• 4 weeks later...

I was fitted for my putter at CC and could not be happier. This was last summer when they were offering free putter fitting with the purchase of a new putter. I wanted a new putter anyway, and paid the same price for it as I would have anywhere else. I wasn't interested in a $3000.00 Scotty Cameron but have always wanted to join the Scotty cult so that's just what I got. 

My next venture at CC is going to be for a driver fitting and I have all the confidence in my fitter that he's going to put me in the right shaft. I made it clear to him when pre-scheduling that I wanted to evaluate for a new shaft because I wanted to keep my same driver head. Remember also, that when you go to CC and have a driver fitting you are under no obligation to buy the shaft from them. It's perfectly acceptable to take all the data that CC gathers during the fitting and buy your shaft somewhere else cut to the parameters obtained during the fitting. The only thing lost is if the lie needs to be adjusted, you'll have to have someone else do the bending since CC isn't building the club in total.

Someone else made the comment to be prepared for sticker shock. I believe this is true of any of the "retail" fitting establishments. At least at CC you're getting an experienced fitter and not someone who was folding clothes at the GAP last week.

Mavrik 12 degree Driver, Mavrik 3 wood, Mavrik 5 wood, Mavrik 7 wood

Big Bertha B21 5H, 6H, 7H, Big Bertha B21 8,9, PW, AW

Callaway Mack Daddy CB wedges, 52/12, 54/14, 60/12

Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 fitted putter

• 2 weeks later...

I may as well chip in my $.02.  I did a club fitting at Club Champion and in a nutshell, he put me in an 85 g shaft for my 3 wood and a 70g shaft in my 5 wood. (neither was counterbalanced)  No really good data to back it up either because I am left handed and they could not figure out how to make the trackman work for lefties.  Then, with regards to shaft brands, they went straight to some proprietary brand that only they sell.  Of course, they were INSANELY expensive.  I called a couple days after I left and spoke to them at length.  To their credit, they did refund my fitting, but I felt like it was an experience similar to what I would gotten at a big box retailer. They had an agenda that day and it was to sell they high margin stuff, or at least that is what it felt like to me.  The whole experience really left a sour taste in my mouth and I have been really gunshy to get fitted again, which is a shame, because I really want to do it, but I want their sole agenda to be "lets get this guy fitted into equipment that matches his swing" and I am afraid they all just want to sell stuff.  As a side note, I had one other fitting for a driver at another location and the pro I was working out with stopped my lesson after he found out the onsite fitters put me in the shaft I had. He marched over to them and made them refund my money on that too. Maybe I am a pigeon and they see sucker written on my forehead, but I am 0-2 on fittings.

There is a Club Champion in Bedford, Massachusetts, about thirty miles northwest of Boston.

I wouldn't normally have much to do there, but they were the only venue in the area available with the great Epon driving iron heads.

Now it appears that they have Edel clubheads as well.  I have no idea where else I might see them. 

I find the SMS C-Grind wedges to be very interesting based on early reviews.

Even in this era, I'm old timey enough to really like matched sets.   The difference is that now, it would likely be three sets.

HL-1,  5, 7, 9-woods (based on modern club-numbering protocols)

5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons    (with 42° 9-iron)

48, 54, 60° wedges

The only two individual clubs would be specialty driving iron and putter.

I have already engaged one of our MGS friends on the subject of these Edel wedges, and from the discourse, I came to understand that the Edel C-grind really lets the player get the leading edge down to a tight lie.  Therein lies my interest.

Club Champion, if nothing else, apparently allows for more customization with normally direct-to-consumer brands like Hogan and Edel.  For my needs, that would be a plus.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

• 4 weeks later...

Absolutely NOT worth it.   Club Champions Bedford, MA.  I bought a set of irons and I am so disgusted with them that I dumped them in the secondary market.   High cost for the lesson learned.  The price of the custom irons was double the manufacturers retail price.

Went through the process.  Found a shaft.   Found a head.  Hitting the 6 iron demo with a consistent 1.47 smash factor.  Sold!   An independent fitter later told me that is not possible for me with a six iron in real life.  So, it looks like a Carnival Game to me in hindsight.  Someone hit the power boost button on the Trackman?  And the real club was 30 yards short of the demo.  

Long story short, after three tries they could not get the weight and the swingweight of the assembled club to match the demo club.  They poured tungsten and epoxy down the shaft and turned that into a piece of rebar with no flex at all.

I'm out!

Edited by Stan Watson

Still seeing lots of I’ll informed consumers blaming the fitter, the company, both and not taking any responsibility for their lack of research into 1) the fitting process, 2) the business model of club champion 3) research on the fitter 4) their decision to purchase clubs from them 5) potentially their lack of feedback before during or after the fitting process 

Every fitter gets a baseline of what a persons clubs do. You should have the data at that point of what your club does and how it relates to what you see on the course and if it’s close or not, then be able to see the data presented during/after the fitting and see how they performed in distance, dispersion and feel.  If you didn’t again that’s on the consumer as much as the fitter/location 

and yes their agenda is to sell clubs like any other place that offers that service but it’s also not a requirement to buy from them after a fitting. They are two separate services and have their own associated costs

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Still seeing lots of I’ll informed consumers blaming the fitter, the company, both and not taking any responsibility for their lack of research into 1) the fitting process, 2) the business model of club champion 3) research on the fitter 4) their decision to purchase clubs from them 5) potentially their lack of feedback before during or after the fitting process 

Every fitter gets a baseline of what a persons clubs do. You should have the data at that point of what your club does and how it relates to what you see on the course and if it’s close or not, then be able to see the data presented during/after the fitting and see how they performed in distance, dispersion and feel.  If you didn’t again that’s on the consumer as much as the fitter/location 

and yes their agenda is to sell clubs like any other place that offers that service but it’s also not a requirement to buy from them after a fitting. They are two separate services and have their own associated costs

As a blanket statement that's pure BS, but you're entitled to your POV. Choosing a fitter is kinda like choosing an investment advisor, by the time you know enough to pick a good one yourself - you probably don't need one. And like some/many investment advisors, some fitters don't know what they're doing including Club Champion, there's no way a well intended newbie can know in advance. I know several people who've gone to Club Champion and got zero results despite spending a fortune. I'd love to know what percentage of people who go hoping to improve their scoring, end up with an improvement - but we'll never see that. Some people won't benefit at all going to a fitter, they're unlikely to know, but some posters here recommend fittings to almost everyone. That's all I object to...

For the umpteenth time, we disagree on this. No problem.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

As a Professional Clubfitter with 32 years experience and thousands of happy fitting customers, my answer is an emphatic "NO!"  I have seen far too many really crappy fitting results that have come out of three different Club Champion locations within 80 miles of where I live and do my fitting work.  One or two (or even three) bad fittings may be expected, but when the number is in the 20s or 30s, it's far from a coincidence, IMHO.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

53 minutes ago, Middler said:

As a blanket statement that's pure BS, but you're entitled to your POV. Choosing a fitter is kinda like choosing an investment advisor, by the time you know enough to pick a good one yourself - you probably don't need one. And like some/many investment advisors, some fitters don't know what they're doing including Club Champion, there's no way a well intended newbie can know in advance. I know several people who've gone to Club Champion and got zero results despite spending a fortune. I'd love to know what percentage of people who go hoping to improve their scoring, end up with an improvement - but we'll never see that. Some people won't benefit at all going to a fitter, they're unlikely to know, but some posters here recommend fittings to almost everyone. That's all I object to...

For the umpteenth time, we disagree on this. No problem.

Improving scoring is more than just having fitted clubs. As we see in other threads getting instruction doesn’t lead to that. Having properly fit clubs enable the person to not have to make their swing work for the equipment but for the equipment to compliment their swing. Bad decisions in a golf course can lead to a bad score just as can a bad swing. To many factors go into lowering scores than fitted equipment. Too many golfers have a misunderstanding of what a fitting is for and then complain about whatever instead o holding themselves accountable.

In todays world there’s a ton of information at one’s fingertips to not be able to do research on a business to see how they operate. Or in the case of golf to not be able to find reviews about a certain fitter, instructor, golf school, fitting/club building location. Newbie or not the information is out there for one to find.

if someone hits clubs in a fitting and likes them there and they do what they want them to do then struggles for whatever reason once they get them that’s as much on the person as it is the fitter or builder, unless things are way off from what they hit in the fitting. 

Bottom line...Club Champion can fit you into the correct club, shaft, and grip. They know what they're doing. Big Box stores employ "fitters" with no training or experience...some just left Taco Bell or McDonald's, and are paid $9-$10/hr. Is that who you want to fit you and take your $600 for a driver. Big Box store managers don't care what you buy, as long as you buy something. Stay away from Big Box's except for accessories.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

I was fit for my new set at the Club Champion in west LA this past spring.
I went in with an open mind(that was the hardest part) and no loyalty to any one brand, I just wanted the best performing clubs for my swing. The fitter was very knowledgeable and helped me find the perfect set of clubs. It wasn’t cheap for the full set(fitting and purchase) but I play a lot and have played golf since I was about 5yrs old(I’m 52 now), that being said my swing is far from perfect because before the pandemic I had taken a break from golf for about 4 years  

The CC experience was eye opening and really showed me how the head and shaft combinations are crucial to finding the correct clubs for my swing, I’ve always wondered if I was using the best shafts for my swing and going to CC gave me the opportunity to test just about every shaft that was available which is an overwhelming task. I tested five different brands of heads and about six or seven different shaft manufacturers and different models of shafts for each of those companies. In the end I am hitting my irons almost two club lengths longer and all with a much tighter and consistent dispersion pattern. The 3w and hybrid are amazing, and I’m still working at getting more consistent with my driver. I went with off the shelf Vokey wedges but might get the matching shafts added eventually.

In the end it was a great experience and very beneficial to my game.

Hopefully my story helps. 

Edited by KenBender

:callaway-small:Epic Max LS 9* ACCRA TZ6

:callaway-small:Epic Speed 3w ACCRA FX

:cobra-small:3H ACCRA FX

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 4-pw Aerotech 

:vokey-small:50,55,60 

:cameron-small: Phantom X 11.5 putter

:titelist-small: prov1

On 12/29/2021 at 4:57 PM, KenBender said:

I was fit for my new set at the Club Champion in west LA this past spring.
I went in with an open mind(that was the hardest part) and no loyalty to any one brand, I just wanted the best performing clubs for my swing. The fitter was very knowledgeable and helped me find the perfect set of clubs. It wasn’t cheap for the full set(fitting and purchase) but I play a lot and have played golf since I was about 5yrs old(I’m 52 now), that being said my swing is far from perfect because before the pandemic I had taken a break from golf for about 4 years  

The CC experience was eye opening and really showed me how the head and shaft combinations are crucial to finding the correct clubs for my swing, I’ve always wondered if I was using the best shafts for my swing and going to CC gave me the opportunity to test just about every shaft that was available which is an overwhelming task. I tested five different brands of heads and about six or seven different shaft manufacturers and different models of shafts for each of those companies. In the end I am hitting my irons almost two club lengths longer and all with a much tighter and consistent dispersion pattern. The 3w and hybrid are amazing, and I’m still working at getting more consistent with my driver. I went with off the shelf Vokey wedges but might get the matching shafts added eventually.

In the end it was a great experience and very beneficial to my game.

Hopefully my story helps. 

It's a great story, and CC has most certainly helped fit many (mostly better) players. And it makes perfect sense for a 7 HI with a highly repeatable swing.

The problem with these threads is while CC makes a lot of sense for players with highly repeatable swings and/or players who really do understand exactly what fitting can and can't do - as CC won't tell you that more often than not if you're a first time customer. I have seen people here on countless threads recommend fittings with no caveats whatsoever to players with 15, 20 and even 30 HI who ask about fittings as a means to improve their scoring - that's a disservice to at least some if not many. I know CC has turned some people away saying 'honestly we can't help you, your current clubs are a decent fit' - but that's pretty rare IME.

And CC is way more likely to recommend custom shafts, at much greater expense, than to fit you for any of the variety of standard shafts many OEM club makers offer. There are enough standard shaft options with most OEM club makers these days, the very few of us need custom shafts at a considerable premium.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

7 hours ago, Middler said:

It's a great story, and CC has most certainly helped fit many (mostly better) players. And it makes perfect sense for a 7 HI with a highly repeatable swing.

The problem with these threads is while CC makes a lot of sense for players with highly repeatable swings and/or players who really do understand exactly what fitting can and can't do - as CC won't tell you that more often than not if you're a first time customer. I have seen people here on countless threads recommend fittings with no caveats whatsoever to players with 15, 20 and even 30 HI who ask about fittings as a means to improve their scoring - that's a disservice to at least some if not many. I know CC has turned some people away saying 'honestly we can't help you, your current clubs are a decent fit' - but that's pretty rare IME.

And CC is way more likely to recommend custom shafts, at much greater expense, than to fit you for any of the variety of standard shafts many OEM club makers offer. There are enough standard shaft options with most OEM club makers these days, the very few of us need custom shafts at a considerable premium.

100% agree. Fitting is important to get your best results, but it does expect consistency.

CC worked out pretty well for me in a couple fittings from '17-'19 -- but over the last ~10 years, I've been between a 2-5 index and my swing speed and path haven't fluctuated much (although in the last couple years I've made some tweaks that might be getting some speed back, and I'm now getting better results from stiffer shafts than what I bought from CC). 

But... For a higher handicap casual golfer that is cool with where they're at, they could still be using bad equipment and a fitting can still help, but might not be worth the cost for a CC fitting/club purchase. For someone just starting out or a higher handicap with goals to improve...a fitting will give them positive results, but might become obsolete pretty quickly, and "following the fittings" might require a giant budget. When friends ask me for advice on what clubs they should buy, that's one of the things I ask -- if it's someone that is dedicated to getting better and taking lessons soon, I recommend something that's a step or two ahead of where they currently stand, and give them a goal of catching up with their clubs (especially if I see the potential in their swing - at that stage, swing speeds can increase pretty quickly). If they went to CC, they'd pay a lot for something that might only work for a few months. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

^^ Most high handicap, infrequent or beginning players would be better served on a value basis buying off the rack clubs - given most OEM club makers now offer a considerable range of shafts - with a small or zero premium cost. It's not as if the off the rack clubs fit no one, they fit a lot of people. Club Champion or the like want to sell you custom shafts, and resist/refuse fitting you to the shafts OEMs offer at no upcharge. e.g. Mizuno irons can be ordered with any of 27 shafts, only 5 with any upcharge. The number of players who really need to pay as much as twice as much for a Club Champion custom shaft over the best fit shaft from Mizuno is (very) small.

When I went to Club Champion they recommended a $950 Mavrik driver - that's simply absurd. And there's no doubt in my mind my driving stats would have gotten worse had I bought the driver they recommended (I won't rehash that story).

The problem is, it is harder to find the fitters who can help you pick the best OEM offered shafts, I'd start with the manufactures.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

Contrary to thoughts in this thread 

1) CC, TXG, TruSoec prices for fittings are no different than what local fitters charge. Most places charge $90+ per hour for fittings

2) Places like this offer the golfer the ability to be fit into whatever shaft works for their swing within their budget to include shafts that aren’t in a brands matrix. 

3) Yes the business model for these specialty fitters is to sell high end shafts. No different than high end jewelry stores selling high end watches or any other luxury brand. If you tell them them you only want stock/no upcharge options CC will fit you to them. Other places usually don’t but that’s their business model. Do your research going in and you won’t be shocked

4) there’s lots of opinion in here that are being used to justify peoples experiences good or bad but they aren’t based in truth and reality.  Many are just biased based on their experiences or perceptions. People really should spend time talking to fitters and instructor. They will both tell you that amateurs swings are more consistent and repeatable than people believe. They will also tell you that waiting til after someone finishes taking lessons isn’t the best time to get fit. Making compensations because of equipment can derail the lessons and a persons swing and progress

5) just like lessons and improving the golf swing doesn’t guarantee lower scores, well fitted clubs don’t either. They also don’t guarantee a bad shot will never be hit. They are tools that give the golfer the ability to eliminate variables in the game and to have the best chance to execute the swing they are trying to make.

People don’t want to take responsibility that their actions and the time and effort they put into the game will determine the results they get.

If you don’t think peoples including high handicappers have repeatable swings just look at all the swings posted in the various threads and see how their swings are pretty much the same over several months of posting even when working on drills on their own with no instruction

On 12/29/2021 at 4:45 PM, HDTVMAN said:

Bottom line...Club Champion can fit you into the correct club, shaft, and grip. They know what they're doing. Big Box stores employ "fitters" with no training or experience...some just left Taco Bell or McDonald's, and are paid $9-$10/hr. Is that who you want to fit you and take your $600 for a driver. Big Box store managers don't care what you buy, as long as you buy something. Stay away from Big Box's except for accessories.

I would agree that big box stores probably aren’t equipped to do a fitting equal to what a club champion/golf tec/ or TXG would perform. To counter your argument, you would say that a fitter from CC who fitted my friend who was brand new to the game of golf with shafts 1-1.5 inches shorter than standard knows what they’re doing? Then had the audacity to sell them different shafts 6 months later again when my friend went back to have them fix the issue. They told my friend his original fitter had left for performance related issues. Sounds like something in the level of a big box store if you ask me. Too many stories on this and other forums about how CC has screwed up orders to give them unreasonable approval. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Wonder why only about 1 in 4 MGS readers fitted at Club Champion would recommend CC to their friends or colleagues? Whereas 3 in 5 would recommend the manufacturers - where there is little or no upcharge for the variety of shafts they offer. Club Champion will cost you considerably more, could easily be 2X.

https://mygolfspy.com/2021-driver-satisfaction-survey-results/

• Golfers who get fitted at manufacturer-owned facilities are most satisfied.
  • Cool Clubs leads among custom fitting locations while True Spec and on-course aren’t far behind.
  • Club Champion is an outlier among custom-fitting chains.

Respondents who were fitted at Club Champion locations were less likely to recommend it and there were significantly more detractors. I’d love to dig into this more to understand the reasons behind lower satisfaction levels. Anecdotally, friends who have visited Club Champion have specifically mentioned heavy upselling leaving a bad taste.

C0D690CF-4F25-4BA6-B53E-4F019A143C84.jpeg

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 1:45 PM, HDTVMAN said:

I have to take exception to this. Full disclosure I work at a big box store.

Like any other business the quality of your interaction is in: (1) the person you work with (2) your level of knowledge, discussion, and questions.

We are provided a LOT of deep dive information/training from the OEMs, and the ability to demo most everything. It is my job to learn the stuff. Some of us love it, the industry and all things golf, others don't take the time. If you came to our store and of the 10 fitters there, you'll obviously get 10 different experiences. Your job is to know what you're trying to accomplish and if someone is meeting your needs or not.

The one place a big box store admittedly may fall short is that we're subject to the offerings of the OEM fitting carts. It's my job to know that stuff inside out, but granted it's not all the possible options.

I have fit an awful lot of really good players of the last 5+ yrs and have forged relationships with a handful of local PGA Class-A pros that refer their students to me.

Again, we're not all the options, but for the vast majority out there, we're certainly a viable option for more than just accessories. I don't think it's fair to make a blanket statement that we're akin to burger flippers who don't know anything. Also not to mention the clientele that we get who come in and know "way" more than we do because they read the internet. It goes both ways.

Strange is just a different point of view

• 3 weeks later...

CC includes three one-hour sessions in a hitting bay, and free loft and lie fittings/adjustments for a year. This undeniably has value.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 w/ LA Golf DJ Signature Series (65-4)

3w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

5w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

7w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

4i-GW: :mizuno-small: JPX921 Forged w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

54º: :vokey-small: SM9 D Grind w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5vB w/ LA Golf P-Series SOHO 

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x  play #45

Ball mark: Kraken Golf - Revolver, Weight Plate, Turntable

Tracked and scored by :Arccos: 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll just post this hear and leave the comments to everyone else 🙂

Ok, I lied. You'll either find it an informative or "entertaining" read...LOL

https://clubchampiongolf.com/blog/

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

No experience with CC specifically, but have gone through fitting like theirs.  Here why I'm staying away from those type of sessions.  no matter how you're swinging, the fitter is going to start trying to fit you into something.  That's their job.  If your strikes aren't in line with your norm, the data is useless.  Norm is not perfection.  You should see what happens on bad hits, but if they're all bad it wouldn't help you. 

Simulator numbers help but don't represent real shots on a course.  A driver might yield more distance on a monitor, but that might result in more missed fairways in real golf. 

Ideally we'd like to see results of a club change over time (good days and bad days) not just one hour of hitting which often turns into a long drive
competition against yourself.

My other issue is that you don't know the fitter and the fitter doesn't know you.  The information is what they're given at that point in time.  So they can't really talk to your game because they don't know it.  They're trying to develop an idea to give you a recommendation for clubs.  I'd much rather see a fitter who has some relationship with you, so they can speak intelligently about recommendations for you knowing your tendencies and faults. 

It's unfortunately very hard to find the place where you can take clubs out for a round to test them unless you're a member at a private club. 

8 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I'll just post this hear and leave the comments to everyone else 🙂

Ok, I lied. You'll either find it an informative or "entertaining" read...LOL

https://clubchampiongolf.com/blog/

Thank you for sharing.

I am a happy CC customer; and I do think CC is “worth it,” but the quote screenshot I attached is an outright lie. MAP is about advertising and NOT a rule stating what a retailer is allowed to sell a product for. Actually it’s illegal (in the US at least) for anyone to tell anyone what they have to charge for a product. That’s why MSRP is Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price. CC could literally sell their goods for whatever price they want. They just can’t ADVERTISE any price below MAP. If this lie we’re true MAP would necessarily be MSP (Minimum Sale Price). What kind of fool does this person think we are? Added facepalm is CC doesn’t even advertise prices for components as far as I’ve ever seen.

The irony here is this blog post was supposed to make their customers and potential customers feel better about the CC  instead, now I’m seeing them try and BS people. Big fail CC! 

A05D9480-3449-49E8-80BF-7D3AFE1D7D8D.jpeg

Edited by Dog Faced Pony Soldier

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 w/ LA Golf DJ Signature Series (65-4)

3w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

5w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

7w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

4i-GW: :mizuno-small: JPX921 Forged w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

54º: :vokey-small: SM9 D Grind w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5vB w/ LA Golf P-Series SOHO 

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x  play #45

Ball mark: Kraken Golf - Revolver, Weight Plate, Turntable

Tracked and scored by :Arccos: